don't the straps and clips on IWB holster 'out' you [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : don't the straps and clips on IWB holster 'out' you

wtr100
12-31-2012, 05:55
I'm from IL so go easy on me here

Looking at the possibility (if we don't screw it up) for CCW in IL sometime in the next year.

Looking at IWB holsters - it seems they are held in place with clips and snaps - isn't this a 'tell' that you're carrying?

xmanhockey7
12-31-2012, 06:05
Not really if you keep them covered up. Besides even if a clip shows I bet 99% of people won't even notice. I open carry and you'd be surprised how many people don't notice the full size G22 on my hip until 5 minutes into a conversation.

Triple7
12-31-2012, 06:07
I'm from the "who cares" camp. If they are not a criminal with ill intent I could care less.

wtr100
12-31-2012, 06:11
I'm from the "who cares" camp. If they are not a criminal with ill intent I could care less.

good point - being in the peoples demokratik republic of IL must have rotted my brain some

Badwolf75
12-31-2012, 06:13
As far as clips go, plenty of people carry cell phones clipped to their belts. Remember the average person is not looking for your gun.

Lowjiber
12-31-2012, 06:22
Sorry about where you live.

That said, the clips on an IWB holster are rarely visible anyway. First off, your outer shirt/jacket/vest is untucked and covers your belt. Secondly, the clips on most popular IWB holsters are black, flat metal that blend quite well into a black gunbelt. Thirdly, many (if not most) carry the firearm in the 4:00+ position...meaning that even though an open vest/coat still won't show the clips.

I've carried for over thirty years and have never had anyone even remotely ask "What's that clip on your belt?"

Bill Lumberg
12-31-2012, 06:30
Yes. Proper concealment involves covering them. It's better than the "please notice me" of carrying openly where legal to conceal, but proper concealment involves an untucked shirt or jacket/overshirt covering those clips/loops.

Looking at the possibility (if we don't screw it up) for CCW in IL sometime in the next year.

Looking at IWB holsters - it seems they are held in place with clips and snaps - isn't this a 'tell' that you're carrying?

BuckyP
12-31-2012, 06:34

Are you referring to tuckable IWB? Otherwise, the shirt that covers the gun can be long enough to carry the strap or clip.

txjeep
12-31-2012, 06:35
I got made the other day because of a black clip. The only reason they knew what it was is that the person also carries. It didn't help that I was wearing khaki pants. I explained carry etiquette to the guy so he would be more discrete in the future. Only time in about ten years anyone ever said anything to me. Most people if they see the clips aren't thinking gun.

Ducowti
12-31-2012, 06:53
Or you can use concealed clips like CompTac's velcro jobs that velcro to inside of belt. Nothing visible.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Shinytop
12-31-2012, 07:23
Or you can use concealed clips like CompTac's velcro jobs that velcro to inside of belt. Nothing visible.

How well do the velcro clips hold?

bdhawk
12-31-2012, 08:50
if you have a cover garment, the clips are hidden.

but, if you carry tucked, the clips show. the ones that are narrow strips of kydex, like comptac uses, are seldom noticed. they look like beltloops.

the metal ones with the crosses, well they may as well have flashing lights on them. look at the cross breed ad pics, and you will see what i mean.

Ducowti
12-31-2012, 10:12

Sufficiently. I have not had my holster shift or move with an aggressive draw. Slightly lifted in pic so you can see one clip and how discreet these clips are.

KoshTHX
12-31-2012, 11:20
Sufficiently. I have not had my holster shift or move with an aggressive draw. Slightly lifted in pic so you can see one clip and how discreet these clips are.

That's pretty discreet. I haven't really seen any photos using the velcro clips but it looks even better than I thought it would work. Thanks for posting the image. I'm putting a velcro belt on my short list.

RetailNinja
12-31-2012, 11:29
I have been CCing in IL for 6 years. Get holsters with straps the same color as your belt. Kydex shows easily, even against an instructor belt, but no one's ever questioned me as to what it is. Typically black leather + black belt and tan leather + tan belt.

janice6
12-31-2012, 11:36
I prefer 'J' clips and they have very little exposure, 1/8" to 1/4 ", in black orBrown Kydex to match the belt. I bought Kydex and make my own to replace the OEM. They do not squeak either.

slickt0mmy
12-31-2012, 12:08
As others have said, J-Clips or Velcro clips can be used if you're paranoid. Personally, I don't bother with them because:
1. I've never had anyone notice the normal clips.
2. I figure anyone who DOES notice, is probably also carrying themselves and won't care much.

ScottieG59
12-31-2012, 12:22
If you leave your zipper open with your shirt tail sticking out, it will draw their gaze from those holster clips.

I will wear a shirt or jacket that covers the clips. Also, I have a Kahr PM9 and a Springfield Armory XDs that I pocket carry in pocket holsters.

There are some holsters that have a fake pager or phone cover the clips.

Also, people just tend not to notice.

Radam3
12-31-2012, 12:27
I have never been made (to my knowledge) due to my crossbreed's clips. Even with the crosses on them. Gun people may notice, but the rest of the sheep are more than likely have no clue what the clips go to, let alone notice them.
Either wear your shirt untucked, and not worry about it. Or if you have to wear it tucked, just make sure it's baggy enough around your firearm, or wear a cover garment.
Best of luck with the IL laws.

"No more judgement day
Only tranquility
Peace signs, protest lines
Mean nothing to me"

Tx-SIG229
12-31-2012, 12:43
Personally, I don't bother with them because:
1. I've never had anyone notice the normal clips.
2. I figure anyone who DOES notice, is probably also carrying themselves and won't care much.
this

i'd also say that non CHLers probably don't even know what it is

racer88
12-31-2012, 13:29

I started with regular clips (nobody notices). But, I switched to V-clips (velcro) shortly thereafter. I wanted as much stealth as possible. I wear a tucked in business shirt every day at work.

I have not noticed any difference in retention / stability with V-clips. I like my v-clips.

But, as has been said many times... nobody notices the regular clips.

Sgt.K
12-31-2012, 15:34
Diabetic pump or colostomy bag. Seriously if anyone is looking that close I think they may have some ulterior motive. Also as long as there is no strict law about printing or such you will soon realize that no one, include you, notice your carrying after a very short while. HTH.

racer88
12-31-2012, 16:27
That's pretty discreet. I haven't really seen any photos using the velcro clips but it looks even better than I thought it would work. Thanks for posting the image. I'm putting a velcro belt on my short list.

Here are some more photos:

With standard clips:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/IWB-tuckable-holsters_6.jpg

With Velcro clips:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/IWB-tuckable-holsters_4.jpg

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 11:09

Congrats on your Supreme Court ruling! :supergrin:

Goldstar225
01-02-2013, 06:21
I use the velcro clips for my Crossbreed Supertuck. That's as invisible as you can get.

With that said, only a small percentage of gun owners/police will recognize what the exposed clips are for it they do see them.

Bruce M
01-02-2013, 06:43
I got made the other day because of a black clip. The only reason they knew what it was is that the person also carries. It didn't help that I was wearing khaki pants. I explained carry etiquette to the guy so he would be more discrete in the future. Only time in about ten years anyone ever said anything to me. Most people if they see the clips aren't thinking gun.

Sorry - confused. You got made but you explained carry etiquette to the other guy?

dosei
01-02-2013, 07:34

The majority of people who carry IWB still use some type of outter "cover" garment, such as a camp shirt (Camp Shirts have straight hems and are intended to be worn untucked) or an untucked T-Shirt. The majority of IWB holsters made do not even allow for the person to tuck in their shirt over the holster. "Tuckable" IWB holsters are a niche market within the IWB market. So for the majority of IWB carriers, their belt and any clips or straps are always covered...so No, the straps/clips do not "out" them.

Gunnut 45/454
01-02-2013, 08:59
RetailNinja
CCWing in IL for 6 years really please explain how you can do that in the state that doesn't have CCW?:whistling:

vafish
01-02-2013, 15:52
RetailNinja
CCWing in IL for 6 years really please explain how you can do that in the state that doesn't have CCW?:whistling:

Cop?

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

Dalton Wayne
01-02-2013, 15:59
I un-tuck my t-shirt and cover my pistol on my right hip but I leave my mag holster with two mags exposed on my left hip, have for years going in and out of many different stores nobody has ever said a thing to me, just today I was in Sam's buying supplies for the gas station.

wingryder
01-02-2013, 19:15
I keep my spare mag in a Gerber multi-tool case on my hip. I carry my G26 in a Whitehat Basemax hybrid. Comfy holster.

jr05
01-03-2013, 19:09
I use C-clips on my MTac and they are hardly noticeable.

SCmasterblaster
01-04-2013, 11:20
IL may enact a CCW law.

Bren
01-04-2013, 12:20

If you think people notice that, you haven't been carrying a gun long enough.

Not to mention, those things are generally covered by whatever covers your gun.

cowboy1964
01-04-2013, 13:05
I have been CCing in IL for 6 years.

How are you so lucky?

IndyGunFreak
01-04-2013, 13:47
Most people walk around in "Condition stupid". You could probably open carry and it's unlikely a lot of people would even notice. Most are to wrapped up in their own lives (cell phones, ipods, etc..). The ones that notice, are typically the ones that "pay attention" to thinks (cops, managers, other gun toters, etc.).. so unless one of those 3 bothers you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Vigilance
01-04-2013, 14:36
As others have mentioned, an MTAC with Vclips, along with a Beltman velco lined belt work great.

The biggest issue I have is not the concealing the clips, its concealing the bulge in my wasit band.

Alpine
01-04-2013, 17:38
Thanks for the photos ducowti and racer88.

DaneA
01-04-2013, 18:52
if you have a cover garment, the clips are hidden.

but, if you carry tucked, the clips show. the ones that are narrow strips of kydex, like comptac uses, are seldom noticed. they look like beltloops.

the metal ones with the crosses, well they may as well have flashing lights on them. look at the cross breed ad pics, and you will see what i mean.

Really? I guess in two years of wearing mine with a tucked shirt must have been pure luck. I guess I should check the batteries in my flashing lights as they don't seem to be working. Bottom line is that very few people are looking at your waist band.

Ermytraining
01-20-2013, 19:50
I use C-clips on my MTac and they are hardly noticeable.

+one on that!

Bill Lumberg
01-21-2013, 06:31
Bottom line is, poor concealment is sloppy. Rather than relying on luck and circumstance, I conceal properly when I'm off duty. I like to choose when I'm noticed rather than partially concealing and praying someone pays attention to me. If you must advertise by leaving clips exposed, as previously noted, a cellphone clipped between them helps, but is in no way a substitute for proper concealment. On an almost unrelated tangent- I demonstrated the flatness of the CBST when we were evaluating them for plainclothes use by wearing a 5" 1911 under my clothes in a CBST, and my duty glock/leather holster over. No one could tell there was a rather large gun under the one they normally saw.

SCmasterblaster
01-21-2013, 07:59

Right on, brother! :cool::cool::cool:

Ryobi
01-21-2013, 08:52
A crappy job is a crappy job. It's easy to do properly. Why halfway do anything?

SCmasterblaster
01-21-2013, 09:51
A crappy job is a crappy job. It's easy to do properly. Why halfway do anything?

So true. Why halfway do anything?

Patchman
01-21-2013, 11:57
In the 12 years or son, I only know of one instance where someone saw my belt loop and realized what it was. The guy was sitting on a park bench, with his body leaning really forward. He happened to look straight ahead/slightly upwards as I walked past and saw my belt loop (I'm remembering it was a polo shirt. Must have shrunken in the wash...). He then gave me one of those looks.

Just ignore it and keep walking.