Fashion, or Real Functional in an Emergency? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fashion, or Real Functional in an Emergency?

akapennypincher
12-31-2012, 07:27
Survival Bracelet (http://www.survivalstraps.com/supporting-themes/sandy-hook/regular-survival-bracelettm-sandy-hook-elementary-school-memorial-ribbon.html)<< But a Multi Million Dollar A Year Business (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/04/survival-straps-bracelets_n_1401104.html?ref=topbar) for the guy who started it.

Anyone ever save you own or someone else's butt with a Survival Strap?:rofl:

Bruce M
12-31-2012, 08:03
I haven't but it is nice to know if I had to repel from a relatively low second floor window I could (if I had the bracelet.)

Kevin108
12-31-2012, 08:34
I have one but we ordered real paracord, I made her a jig for putting them together and my wife made it for me. It's 7-8 feet of cord. Paracord is only as useful as the carrier's knowledge of what to do with it. We once rented space at a craft fair doing custom-fit bracelets in your choice of color for $10. Didn't sell the first one. She's made a few for friends and as gifts but that's it. On the other hand, I have a nice collection of paracord now. :supergrin:

Averageman
12-31-2012, 09:24
I keep about 30 ft in my travel shaving kit and thats useful all of the time.
I'm no McGiver, but I would imagine it would take me about 20 minutes to unravel the one I use as a key fob, which makes it pretty useless to me.

akapennypincher
12-31-2012, 17:38
I'm no McGiver, but I would imagine it would take me about 20 minutes to unravel the one I use as a key fob, which makes it pretty useless to me.

BINGO..:rofl:

oneofthose
12-31-2012, 17:47
I have one but we ordered real paracord, I made her a jig for putting them together and my wife made it for me. It's 7-8 feet of cord. Paracord is only as useful as the carrier's knowledge of what to do with it. We once rented space at a craft fair doing custom-fit bracelets in your choice of color for $10. Didn't sell the first one. She's made a few for friends and as gifts but that's it. On the other hand, I have a nice collection of paracord now. :supergrin:

Would you mind posting how you made them and what the jig looked like?

What No Gravy
12-31-2012, 18:02
Would you mind posting how you made them and what the jig looked like?

Yes please. I would be interested in this also.

Tx-SIG229
12-31-2012, 18:26
someone please start the thread "1001 things you can do with paracord bracelet in an emergency". it would definitely be good reading :)

porschedog
12-31-2012, 18:26
They look nice, but I had the impression they're basically the gun guys version of a friendship bracelet. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Don't go throwing ABBA CDs at me :)

dbcooper
12-31-2012, 18:42

Call them Tactical and bump the price 40 bucks.

DoubleWide
12-31-2012, 19:17
Have you ever thought to yourself if I only had a little bit of rope or thread? Well, that's what you get.

HollowHead
12-31-2012, 19:39
someone please start the thread "1001 things you can do with paracord bracelet in an emergency". it would definitely be good reading :)

I was given a key fob that I untied to fix an alternator that snapped its tensioning bolt. Doubled it up, tied it to the shock tower and tightened it up with a stick as you would a tournequette. HH

Resqu2
12-31-2012, 20:06
I'd like to have one but not for that price, I can see a use for it here and there but I'm not counting on it to save a life. Could be handy in Fire/Rescue work though.

cesaros
12-31-2012, 20:21
Ive made my own, both gutted and with the guts still in the paracord.

Takes about 10 seconds to unravel it all.

Paracord is nice to have in pretty much any dire situation, and wearing it makes it more convenient to always have it.

A guy I used to work with broke his arm while in the field, luckily someone had a paracord bracelet and was able to sling his arm and splint it....like I said, its great for dire situations.