Friend called my deer rifle an assault weapon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Friend called my deer rifle an assault weapon

GreenDrake
12-31-2012, 08:26
All because I posted a pic of my new Harris bipod on the Winchester .270 they asked why I needed an assault weapon. Think it was because it's black? Granted I like the durability of the Ultimate Shadow composite stock but I switched out from using sticks to a mounted bipod thanks to a Cabela's gift certificate and now I am an owner of an evil scary weapon. Some people, I tell ya.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/motorcade1/rifle_zpsb962c583.jpg

Baba Louie
12-31-2012, 08:31
So what did you tell him? That some things, like Bambi, just need an annual "assaultin'?"

Yeap, Some People's Kids...

Does make me wonder tho'... How soon will your rifle be reclassified by the mainstream as... an Assault Weapon? 2 years?

MtBaldy
12-31-2012, 08:32
Did you point out to them it doesn't have the thingy that goes up? It's bolt action not semi-automatic? Doesn't have a 30 round assault "clip"? Doesn't shoot the deadly 5.56 mm round? Or did you just roll your eyes and classify them as a moron? :rofl:

GreenDrake
Them deer do need assautin' for sure. LOL. I know right, good thing I don't see an option for a spooky "flash suppressor or bayonet lug".

Baldy, you mean that "high powered .223 round" LOL. Do the grabbers realize just about every hunting rifle on earth is more powerful than the scary ARs? I asked them politely to define the term. Still no response.

NEVRL8T
Does make me wonder tho'... How soon will your rifle be reclassified by the mainstream as... an Assault Weapon? 2 years?

As soon as the first nut walks into a school or a crowded mall and starts shooting with one.

NEVRL8T
12-31-2012, 08:33
Them deer do need assautin' for sure. LOL. I know right, good thing I don't see an option for a spooky "flash suppressor or bayonet lug".

I have a brake on my Browning BAR Safari II in 7mm Mag that looks like one................

Altaris
12-31-2012, 08:36
Your friend is racist :whistling:

Psychman
12-31-2012, 08:40
People are always afraid of something they know nothing about.

Baba Louie
12-31-2012, 08:41
Your friend is racist :whistling:
Yeah, if it was wearing blonde wood and sporting stainless steel it'd be A-OK and relatively harmless, neh? :supergrin:

dango
12-31-2012, 08:43
Bolt action ? Really ? So , you have to premeditatedly , with intent , manually and consciously lever the next round ?

How evil , how knowingly ,brutishly and "might I suggest" , cold heartily can you ????????????:dunno::faint:

Ban stupid friends ...!

NeverMore1701
12-31-2012, 08:43
That's when you reply:

"That's not an assault weapon, this is an assault weapon!"

Followed by picking up a stick and doing your damnedest to beat the stupid out of them.

M&P15T
12-31-2012, 08:44
OP, I'm getting the impression people are exceedingly interested in what YOUR REPLY was.

You had a golden opportunity to make a difference, change someone's impression, to educate people.

Did you take that opportunity?

Washingtonrebel
12-31-2012, 08:44
I found out the local Dicks Sporting Goods pulled all the Ruger 10-22's that had a black stock, they left the exact same gun with the pink stock on the shelf.

What a bunch of bull****

HexHead
12-31-2012, 08:49
Why do you have an idiot for a friend?

fusegsp
12-31-2012, 08:52
Did you point out to them it doesn't have the thingy that goes up? :rofl: It has something much worse. The two thingies that go Down!:rofl:Plus, it has the strangulation strap thingy.

HexHead
12-31-2012, 08:52
As soon as the first nut walks into a school or a crowded mall and starts shooting with one.

You don't need to walk into a school or mall with one of those. Just take up a strategic position a 1/4-1/2 mile away.

Baba Louie
12-31-2012, 08:56
You don't need to walk into a school or mall with one of those. Just take up a strategic position a 1/4-1/2 mile away.http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

Been reading Bracken again? Note to self... must buy Castigo Cay.

philipk
12-31-2012, 09:02
Obama says there is no place for military style weapons on the street.

When people tell me that, I then explain that almost all centerfire rifles are military style which were designed originally for the military.

The only exception is lever action as they were never issued by the U.S. Army in significant numbers. However, I personally would include them as the original designers wanted them sold to the military.

Your bolt action rifle is a direct decedent of the German Mauser and the Springfield 1903.

So yes, your bolt action is as much an assault rifle as my Colt MT6400c.

This explanation usually wins the argument against an AWB except for the people who want to ban all guns or want licensing.

Cybercowboy
12-31-2012, 09:03
And that scope thing probably shoots lasers, and there is probably a thing on the tip that one of those knife things can be mounted. Probably launches grenades too.

fusegsp
12-31-2012, 09:06
And that scope thing probably shoots lasers, and there is probably a thing on the tip that one of those knife things can be mounted. Probably launches grenades too. That scope probably has Nikons new Toddlerplex reticle.

jlprtr
12-31-2012, 09:24
If he were my friend, I would tell him how disappointed I was in finding out that a friend I had considered an intelligent individual turned out to be such a moron that he could not even tell the difference between an "assault weapon" and a far deadlier sniper rifle. :supergrin:

Averageman
12-31-2012, 09:27
I would burn the bridge between that idiot and myself pretty quickly.

jph02
12-31-2012, 09:28
... How soon will your rifle be reclassified by the mainstream as... an Assault Weapon? 2 years?
Feinstein's new AWB (http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons) will take care of that PDQ!

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;

Freaking slingshots will probably qualify. :dunno:

Bruce M
12-31-2012, 09:28
That scope probably has Nikons new Toddlerplex reticle. Too soon perhaps?

I'll bet to a deer that looks like an assault rifle...

FullClip
12-31-2012, 09:38
That scope probably has Nikons new Toddlerplex reticle.

That is just so freaking WRONG........but I'm still :rofl:

Glockdude1
12-31-2012, 09:40
All because I posted a pic of my new Harris bipod on the Winchester .270 they asked why I needed an assault weapon. Think it was because it's black? Granted I like the durability of the Ultimate Shadow composite stock but I switched out from using sticks to a mounted bipod thanks to a Cabela's gift certificate and now I am an owner of an evil scary weapon. Some people, I tell ya.

http://i27.tinypic.com/286u7gy.jpg

Don't let your friend see my Savage 12FV (.223) or my Winchester model 70 (30 06).

:cool:

Captain Caveman
12-31-2012, 09:46
Remember when this happened?

The 2010 shooting took place at around 3:15PM MST on February 23, 2010, when 32-year-old Bruco Eastwood entered Deer Creek Middle School. After being stopped by custodian Kyle Sturbaum he checked in at the office asked for a tour, was denied, and then left. After the SRO had left and school had ended for the day, he took a bolt action high-powered hunting rifle from his car in the school parking lot, and then opened fire, wounding one female eighth grade student and one male eighth grade student. The male was rushed to a hospital and was in critical condition for about four days. The female was released from a hospital later on that night after the shooting occurred. The shooter was taken down by Deer Creek Middle School math teachers David Benke and Norm Hanne and was taken into custody by the police.

Oh wait. It didn't involve an "evil" black rifle. Nobody died. And it was stopped by school personnel.

fusegsp
12-31-2012, 09:46
Too soon perhaps?Maybe, just a smidge.

SPIN2010
12-31-2012, 09:53
Just heard this from an older lady at the USPS station:

Me: Have all of you contacted your congressional people about the impending weapons ban?

Old Lady: Why? What are they doing?

Me: Ma'am they are enacting very strict gun legislation that will restrict your right to bear arms.

Old Lady: Really?

Me: Yes, you need to educate yourself on this issue and contact your congress rep.

Old Lady: Oh, they will just be taking the heavy armament not anybodys guns.

Me: GASP! (I gave up ... unreal.)

It is almost like the Obama signs in the front yards here in Ohio ... you know it is over before the voting starts due to individual ignorance.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-31-2012, 09:54

Start with my campaign, "If the police need assault weapons, then so do I. Civilians are faced with the same kind of bad guy."

countrygun
12-31-2012, 10:03
makes you feel uneasy about how broad the term can be applied and about who applies it, doesn't it?

Once a term gets into accepted usage it can always be stretched to fit.

TBO
12-31-2012, 10:13
What I've deer hunted with:

DPMS AP4 LR-308

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/101_1028.jpg

Kel-tec RFB (.308)

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/495/media/images/Kel-Tec_RFB.jpg

Google searched images, not my own personal.

Drjones
12-31-2012, 10:30
Guys, this is no joke nor laughing matter.

If they are successful in banning semi-auto rifles, I will bet you the cost of your safe + its contents that next on the list are your "high-powered, police-vest piercing, sniper rifle weapon of war" deer rifles.

I know many on here hunt; you *have* to get your hunter friends on board with the rest of us and get them writing letters to stop any further gun banning.

Your deer rifles and duck shotguns WILL be next.

TBO
12-31-2012, 10:33
They tried that years back with a bill to "ban ammunition capable of defeating Police body armor", which as any informed person knows, is ANY centerfire rifle. Clever bit of crafting, but thankfully didn't work.

BEER
12-31-2012, 10:39

it already happened, and it was one of the earliest "spree shootings". charles whitman in austin texas 1966.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Averageman
12-31-2012, 10:42

If they are successful in banning semi-auto rifles, I will bet you the cost of your safe + its contents that next on the list are your "high-powered, police-vest piercing, sniper rifle weapon of war" deer rifles.

I know many on here hunt; you *have* to get your hunter friends on board with the rest of us and get them writing letters to stop any further gun banning.

Anyone who is offended by your bolt action rifle and is either so uneducated or so indoctrinated to think it is an "Assault Rifle" is not your Freind.
I would be a bit more careful who you show your guns to.

NorthernAlpine
12-31-2012, 11:23
Before anyone should be able to open their mouth on this issue, they should have to attend a CCW class, a hunter's safety course, and spend 2 hours at the local range and experience the difference in firearms.

The Mrs. asked me about something similar last night, so I had her get out the family albums and flipped to the hunting photos from deer/elk camps from the last 40ish years. As stated by someone else in here, every firearm that we have has been began as a military intended firearm, from flint-lock to bolt action to gas operated systems. Every generation has adapted their common military-esque firearms because it is easily attainable and it is familiar. My grandfathers and hers both owned and hunted with the military firearms of their day, unless the game called for something specific. There were numerous photos with Springfield M1-types, a few mausers, and then me with a 20" bull barrel AR towards the end. My grandfathers favorite hunting rifle is actually an older Weatherby built with a Mauser 98 action if I remember right.

I hope your answers helped to illuminate your friend's misconception, this sounded like a good opportunity.

ScottieG59
12-31-2012, 11:31
That assault weapon has legs! It is like the serpent that got Adam and Eve thrown out of the Garden of Eden!

A black assault weapon with legs. Who needs a walking gun?

Bruce M
12-31-2012, 11:32
Maybe, just a smidge.

Not sayin' it wasn't humorous though.

dango
12-31-2012, 11:34

DPMS AP4 LR-308

Kel-tec RFB (.308)

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/495/media/images/Kel-Tec_RFB.jpg

I prefer my Uzi.........!:whistling:

Fox
12-31-2012, 11:35
Your friend is a moron.

Unlocked
12-31-2012, 11:38
They asked why I needed an assault weapon.

Tell them it's a Bill of Rights, not a Bill of "Needs".

countrygun
12-31-2012, 11:39
what i've deer hunted with:

Dpms ap4 lr-308

kel-tec rfb (.308)

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/495/media/images/kel-tec_rfb.jpg

google searched images, not my own personal.

quit scaring people with those ak-47 and glock pictures!!!!!!

Altaris
12-31-2012, 12:00

DPMS AP4 LR-308

Kel-tec RFB (.308)

That Is Not Possible Sir!

According to Whoopie(in the first minute of the vid) that is a weapon of mass destruction that you can't hunt with because it destroys everything.

Hot Topics: Gun Control Reform - The View - YouTube

mabgrac
12-31-2012, 12:03
We did some skeet shooting this past weekend. I brought out my Browning BPS pump shotgun and my idiot nephew commented that it wasn't a skeet gun, but some sort of tactical gun. I informed him most guns are not made with pretty wood anymore and it is the same basic design that has been around for 100 years. Funny part was it was the shotgun he had the best success with. I suppose he eventually realized it was just a normal shotgun, but I didn't feel like bringing it back up.

This is what we are up against. God help us.

Glockdude1
12-31-2012, 12:53
I prefer my Uzi.........!:whistling:

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2nstdsk.jpg

:agree: __ :supergrin:

Cali-Glock
12-31-2012, 14:00
Friend called my deer rifle an assault weapon

All because I posted a pic of my new Harris bipod on the Winchester .270 they asked why I needed an assault weapon.

According to every anti-civil rights group out there, your friend is correct.

"It is a special class of assault weapon called a "sniper" gun. These special guns are made with a special manual bolt, optics, and sometimes things like bedding to make them extremely accurate, making it possible to kill someone from as far away as a mile and a half..."

That will be the next propaganda wave (already begun) used to take away what few guns we have left.

Altaris
12-31-2012, 14:06
"It is a special class of assault weapon called a "sniper" gun. These special guns are made with a special manual bolt, optics, and sometimes things like bedding to make them extremely accurate, making it possible to kill someone from as far away as a mile and a half..."

You mean like every single hunting rifle made? If they aren't accurate at long range no one is going to buy them.

frank4570
12-31-2012, 14:09
The misinformation campaign by the antis has been very successful. There are a LOT of people who have led to believe things that are not true. It goes very deep with people who are not into guns.

HexHead
12-31-2012, 14:12
http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

Been reading Bracken again? Note to self... must buy Castigo Cay.

Never heard of any of that stuff.

NeverMore1701
12-31-2012, 14:15
So is my sniper assault rifle the deadliest of all?

Sweet!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4duAqp7FySM/UGSWgr0MyWI/AAAAAAAABW8/Tso2dcH-5CA/s1600/IMG_0505.JPG

JFrame
12-31-2012, 14:37
This whole "assault weapon" vernacular used by the leftists is so freakin' stupid...ANY weapon can be used for assault -- as can pretty much any OBJECT.

Conversely, any weapon can be used for DEFENSE. How come the term "defense weapon" hasn't caught on with the leftists?

ClydeG19
12-31-2012, 14:39
GreenDrake, hopefully you use this as a teachable moment instead of making it a negative. The more people we can get to realize gun control is all about misinformation and fear than anything, the better.

Cali-Glock
12-31-2012, 15:25
You mean like every single hunting rifle made? If they aren't accurate at long range no one is going to buy them.

Yup those evil sniper weapons, which are cleverly called hunting rifles to fool the public must be banned!!!*

*(simply paraphrasing anti-civil rights groups who are currently trying to ban "assault weapons")

BicycleDay43
12-31-2012, 15:41

The bipod. Yep, that'll do it. I actually killed my 2 hogs last week using a savage 22-250 with a very similar bipod. OUTSTANDING tool for shooting in the prone.

Anyway, looking at the picture, if I were some emotion based, liberal special olympics participant; I'm sure the combo of the bipod, the weapon being black and that fine optic (what I would presume to be a 12x scope) would scare me too.

These are the same people that would call a sporterized mosin-nagant an 'assault weapon' just because it has a black stock. They have no ****ing concept of the word "aesthetics" and how the word relates to firearms.

Also just wanted to say, SWEET lookin loadout you got there. Is that a Model 70?

Sent from the Duke City using OHM

Magnus2131
12-31-2012, 15:44
That's when you reply:

"That's not an assault weapon, this is an assault weapon!"

Followed by picking up a stick and doing your damnedest to beat the stupid out of them.
Would I like to do that to a few, screaming assault weapon with each blow.:whistling:

dbcooper
12-31-2012, 15:49
Well after "assault" weapons and high powered assault style pistols (like your glock) yours is next.

"We have to keep these high powered sniper rifles out of the hands of average americans, for the children."

frank4570
12-31-2012, 15:50
I just got off the phone with a guy who is writing to the politicians in an attempt to stop a future hi-cap ban. A year ago he was one of the "you don't need an assault weapon to kill a deer" crowd. He had those views because he had been mislead by the democrats. Now that he knows the truth, he has different views. Maybe you could re-educate your friend.

dbcooper
12-31-2012, 15:55

Why do you need a sniper rifle? They are only good for killing at great distances. Surely a good hunter can get close enough to club a deer to death. The cavemen didn't need rifles and they killed mammoths. :wow:

PrecisionRifleman
12-31-2012, 16:00
I found out the local Dicks Sporting Goods pulled all the Ruger 10-22's that had a black stock, they left the exact same gun with the pink stock on the shelf.

What a bunch of bull****

Dick's sucks any way. Don't shop there.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Bullwinkle J Moose
12-31-2012, 16:04
Tell him to leave his hate speech at home and to stop creating strife for the sake of the children.

GreenDrake
12-31-2012, 16:55
It's actually a HER, and yes she an Oregon civil rights attorney vegan gun hater. I called her rather than banter back and forth. She didn't have much to attack me with after we had polite conversation, nothing really to sway her other than pure facts and my position as well as details to refute any cliche or gun attack she had for me. We're still friends and she needs to "look up more information".

Yeah, that's a simple Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow (whatever that means) with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm. Thinking of a sunshade to "sniper it up" a bit more. LOL. I should have left the neoprene shell sock on the buttstock for extra effect right?

oneofthose
12-31-2012, 17:10
This is a teachable moment.

If he's your friend, and you're his friend, you have a responsiblity here. This is you're chance to win one over to the other side. Invite him to the range, ask him some questions, find out what he thinks he knows about firearms.

Edited to add:

Just read the last few posts, sounds like your on the right track, good luck, you can't save'm all.

Bren
12-31-2012, 17:31
What amazes me is that you people have "friends" who say things like, "why do you need an assault weapon?" Not just the OP, but many Glocktalkers. Do you not choose who to be friends with? Are these facebook "friends" or something?

If I didn't know a person well enough to know their opinion on guns, I wouldn't call them friend and if "why do you need an assault rifle?" was in their vocabulary, they would not be my friend. There are no exceptions and no wiggle room - I don't consider liberals and/or hoplophobes my friends and I NEVER associate with them by choice, whether they want to be my friends, family, etc., or not.

countrygun
12-31-2012, 17:36
It's actually a HER, and yes she an Oregon civil rights attorney vegan gun hater. I called her rather than banter back and forth. She didn't have much to attack me with after we had polite conversation, nothing really to sway her other than pure facts and my position as well as details to refute any cliche or gun attack she had for me. We're still friends and she needs to "look up more information".

Yeah, that's a simple Winchester M70 Ultimate Shadow (whatever that means) with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm. Thinking of a sunshade to "sniper it up" a bit more. LOL. I should have left the neoprene shell sock on the buttstock for extra effect right?

A "CIVIL RIGHTS ATTORNEY" who doesn't believe in the Second Amendment.

Oi Gevault

Dragoon44
12-31-2012, 17:43
Tell her it's really an WMDD

Weapon of mass deer destruction.

TBO
12-31-2012, 18:20
Don't fear the gun.
Fear the holes it makes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Wyoming
12-31-2012, 20:15

It doesn't take a lot of education to be a dumb ass and you need to find smarter friends.:whistling:

BamaTrooper
12-31-2012, 20:21
So what did you tell him? That some things, like Bambi, just need an annual "assaultin'?"

Yeap, Some People's Kids...

You mean the "deadly sniper rifle, equipped with a scope making it capable of killing from long range"? I lay odds that is the MM quote.

OdinIII
12-31-2012, 21:13
You mean the "deadly sniper rifle, equipped with a scope making it capable of killing from long range"? I lay odds that is the MM quote.

Also I bet it fires those "killer bullets" that are designed to transfer all of their energy into anything it hits.

I tell you.. Why do people need such deadly guns?

NeverMore1701
12-31-2012, 21:51
Also I bet it fires those "killer bullets" that are designed to transfer all of their energy into anything it hits.

I tell you.. Why do people need such deadly guns?

I hear ya, I like to hunt with less deadly bullets, so I have to shoot the critter six or seven times to put it down. It's particularly sporting when I have to reload, and they get away in the meantime, so they can wander off and die a slow, painful death!

ithaca_deerslayer
12-31-2012, 21:51
What amazes me is that you people have "friends" who say things like, "why do you need an assault weapon?" Not just the OP, but many Glocktalkers.

My own mom, dude. A choice I did not get to make :)

But heck yeah, I'm friends with people so liberal it would make your eyes melt. Not just American liberals, either, but also highly educated international liberals. In fact my own wife says I went so far left I came around to the right :)

GreenDrake
12-31-2012, 22:34
I'm friends with everyone I can be. Just because we differ on opinions doesn't make a big difference to my judging them. Besides, this was a gal who was a friend from college, we are Facebook friends and play some Words With Friends together, no bigs. Besides, we had a thing a couple of nights way back too. I don't need enemies.

Bren
12-31-2012, 23:09
My own mom, dude. A choice I did not get to make :)

But heck yeah, I'm friends with people so liberal it would make your eyes melt. Not just American liberals, either, but also highly educated international liberals. In fact my own wife says I went so far left I came around to the right :)

You seem proud of that. I would not be.

tslex
12-31-2012, 23:27

Drake, blow his mind. Send him here: http://suburbansheepdog.blogspot.com/2012/12/calvinball.html

shotgunred
01-01-2013, 00:02
Every one knows that was not an assault rifle. That is a sniper rifle which will also be banned in 2013.:wow:

M&P Shooter
01-01-2013, 04:04
People are always afraid of something they know nothing about.
So that's why Obama hates Americans:whistling:

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 05:10

So, you had an opportunity, on Facebook, with many other people able to read and join the discussion, to set things straight about firearms.......something that would help all of us.......

And you wasted it.

You called her, instead of having a public discussion that could have involved and educated other people. You had a teachable moment where you could have reached several people, and you decided to only focus on one person.

Good job. Thanks.

stevelyn
01-01-2013, 05:26
Obama says there is no place for military style weapons on the street.

When people tell me that, I then explain that almost all centerfire rifles are military style which were designed originally for the military.

The only exception is lever action as they were never issued by the U.S. Army in significant numbers. However, I personally would include them as the original designers wanted them sold to the military.

Your bolt action rifle is a direct decedent of the German Mauser and the Springfield 1903.

So yes, your bolt action is as much an assault rifle as my Colt MT6400c.

This explanation usually wins the argument against an AWB except for the people who want to ban all guns or want licensing.

I was explaining that very same thing on another thread and got nowhere with it.

Actually, the Henry was used during the Civil War in limited numbers, but was purchased by individuals.

GreenDrake
01-01-2013, 07:29
So, you had an opportunity, on Facebook, with many other people able to read and join the discussion, to set things straight about firearms.......something that would help all of us.......

And you wasted it.

You called her, instead of having a public discussion that could have involved and educated other people. You had a teachable moment where you could have reached several people, and you decided to only focus on one person.

Good job. Thanks.

Good grief, I don't spend hours on FB hoping to share opinions with everyone, get over yourself. It was an old friend, we hadn't talked in years anyway. Switch to decaf dude.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-01-2013, 08:05
You seem proud of that. I would not be.

Sure I'm proud of it. Graduate school was a great experience :) Met a lot of people, made a lot of friends, discussed a lot of ideas. Been exposed to people from around the world.

Some of them would call the OP's rifle an assault weapon. But some other of those liberals had been in the military, in war, and know a lot about guns.

I applaud the OP for keeping the friend and for calling her and for being reasonable.

Not everyone likes guns or respects the second ammendment. We can still be friends with them, and try to educate them, and even respect that they get to have their own opinions. Fight against them politically, but still drink beer with them :)

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 08:09
Good grief, I don't spend hours on FB hoping to share opinions with everyone, get over yourself. It was an old friend, we hadn't talked in years anyway. Switch to decaf dude.

Just looking for support in these dire times we're in.

Each of us need to take every opportunity we get to spread the good word. I myself would have taken the opportunity you missed, it was a good one.

RussP
01-01-2013, 08:37
Good grief, I don't spend hours on FB hoping to share opinions with everyone, get over yourself. It was an old friend, we hadn't talked in years anyway. Switch to decaf dude.Sounds like you did good. FB is, sometimes, not the best place for real life friends to discuss volatile topics. :thumbsup:

philipk
01-01-2013, 08:37
I was explaining that very same thing on another thread and got nowhere with it.

I would like to see a Senator on our side take a Remington Gamemaster Model 760 .243 pump rifle and an Italian Carcano M91/38 6.5 52 mm bolt-action rifle to the floor of the Senate as exhibits.

Then he/she needs to ask Sen Feinstein what is the difference between these two guns and an AK or AR?

(We know the difference and similarities so I wouldn't take time to list time.)

Finally, he/she explains that they all have military roots. So ban them all or ban none of them!

Then note that the Remington killed Martin Luther King and the Carcano killed President Kennedy. Those two guns changed history more than any school shooting.

Ban them all or ban none of them.

I would love to see a Senator have the balls to say that!

Bren
01-01-2013, 09:58
I would like to see a Senator on our side take a Remington Gamemaster Model 760 .243 pump rifle and an Italian Carcano M91/38 6.5 52 mm bolt-action rifle to the floor of the Senate as exhibits.

Then he/she needs to ask Sen Feinstein what is the difference between these two guns and an AK or AR?

Finally, he/she explains that they all have military roots. So ban them all or ban none of them!

Then note that the Remington killed Martin Luther King and the Carcano killed President Kennedy. Those two guns changed history more than any school shooting.

From what I;ve seen of your posts, I suspect you'd love to see a Senator succeed in getting all of them banned.

Cubdriver
01-01-2013, 09:58

Be careful what you wish for - Feinstein would ban all of them if she could! Wasn't it her who said if she could have gotten the votes, "Mr and Mrs America, turn them all in!" or words to that effect in the past? I'd be careful waving a red cape in front of that bull - she'd be sure to charge.

-Pat

Kentucky Shooter
01-01-2013, 10:05

Very true--- this sums it up unfortunately.

philipk
01-01-2013, 11:27
From what I;ve seen of your posts, I suspect you'd love to see a Senator succeed in getting all of them banned.

In case others haven't read my post, I don't agree with arming teachers and I believe in background checks for all transfers. Thats it, so stop trying to misrepresent me.

philipk
01-01-2013, 11:31
Be careful what you wish for - Feinstein would ban all of them if she could! Wasn't it her who said if she could have gotten the votes, "Mr and Mrs America, turn them all in!" or words to that effect in the past? I'd be careful waving a red cape in front of that bull - she'd be sure to charge.

-Pat

You make a good point.

However, I think it is time to put all our cards on the table. We did that with Heller vs. DC. Most legal minds thought we were crazy and that the Supreme Court would rule the 2nd a collective right. They were wrong and we were right.

The public is against banning guns in general so let's call Sen. Feinstein out. Let the public see her proposal for what it is and that is the beginning of a total ban and registration.

Otherwise, we will be fighting this garbage forever.

vikingsoftpaw
01-01-2013, 11:53

What a bunch of bull****

That's racist!!!

ithaca_deerslayer
01-01-2013, 11:57
You make a good point.

However, I think it is time to put all our cards on the table. We did that with Heller vs. DC. Most legal minds thought we were crazy and that the Supreme Court would rule the 2nd a collective right. They were wrong and we were right.

The public is against banning guns in general so let's call Sen. Feinstein out. Let the public see her proposal for what it is and that is the beginning of a total ban and registration.

Otherwise, we will be fighting this garbage forever.

I agree.

Let's make it known EVERY deer rifle is a potential sniper rifle, potential assault weapon, high powered, capable of shooting through bullet proof vests, and causing all kinds of mayhem.

There is nothing special about an AR, except that it gives an extra half inch of accuracy when target shooting.

Make every deer hunter the political enemy of the anti-gun movement. You taking our deer rifles away?

ithaca_deerslayer
01-01-2013, 12:02
In case others haven't read my post, I don't agree with arming teachers and I believe in background checks for all transfers. Thats it, so stop trying to misrepresent me.

Icky thoughts here.

We have to allow teachers to carry guns. And there is no need for background checks. If someone is dangerous, they should be locked up in jail or under direct supervision.

What's a background check going to say, "this person is known to be dangerous". Well then get the person off the streets already. He/she can kill with lots of tools besides guns.

philipk
01-01-2013, 12:06
Icky thoughts here.

We have to allow teachers to carry guns. And there is no need for bachground checks. If someone is dangerous, they should be locked up in jail or under direct supervision.

What's a background check going to say, "this person is known to be dangerous". Well then get the person off the streets already. He/she can kill with lots of tools besides guns.

Thats OK, we have the right to different opinions. It is not black and white.

I was responding to someone who claims that I want all guns banned because I support background checks and do not support arming teachers.

philipk
01-01-2013, 12:09
Make every deer hunter the political enemy of the anti-gun movement. You taking our deer rifles away?

That should be our battle plan. When people realize that the root of the AWB is to villainize all gun owners, they will fight back.

Triple7
01-01-2013, 13:39
Can you get heat seeking bullets in that Cal?

shotgunred
01-01-2013, 13:55
That should be our battle plan. When people realize that the root of the AWB is to villainize all gun owners, they will fight back.

Well we certainly need a battle plan. Always be on the defensive and just answering the other sides cries lets them set the agenda and control were it goes. You can't win a defensive war. At best you get a stale mate until the next event.

While everyone may not agree with the NRA's current plan at least realize that they have changed the dynamic of the conversation. We need to come across as the man with a plan.

Drjones
01-01-2013, 16:27
Anyone who is offended by your bolt action rifle and is either so uneducated or so indoctrinated to think it is an "Assault Rifle" is not your Freind.
I would be a bit more careful who you show your guns to.

You miss the point. If they successfully pass any legislation banning semi-autos or magazines, they will next, at some point, go after hunting rifles.

They will demonize them by comparing them to the sniper rifles that the military use to take out terrorists from thousands of yards away.

They will tell people that the average hunting rifle is powerful enough to penetrate most cops body armor and therefore the average peasant has no business owning one - hunting is not a right after all, the 2A makes no mention of it.

My point is that I know a lot of hunters actually agree with the anti-gun BS about "nobody needing an 'assault rifle'" or are indifferent; they don't care as long as they have their hunting guns.

My point is that we have to cut this crap out and educate and reach out to them and get them to help stop any new legislation.

jakebrake
01-01-2013, 16:30
you should have made it an assault rifle, by beating him about the head with it for a half hour or so:steamed:

Drjones
01-01-2013, 16:33
I agree.

Let's make it known EVERY deer rifle is a potential sniper rifle, potential assault weapon, high powered, capable of shooting through bullet proof vests, and causing all kinds of mayhem.

There is nothing special about an AR, except that it gives an extra half inch of accuracy when target shooting.

Yes, great post and I agree. We should tell people that, frankly, an AR is far LESS powerful than your average hunting rifle like a .308 or .30-06

In fact, aren't ARs specifically disallowed for hunting deer in certain places because some consider the .223 *too weak* to cleanly kill a deer?

ithaca_deerslayer
01-01-2013, 18:38
Yes, great post and I agree. We should tell people that, frankly, an AR is far LESS powerful than your average hunting rifle like a .308 or .30-06

In fact, aren't ARs specifically disallowed for hunting deer in certain places because some consider the .223 *too weak* to cleanly kill a deer?

I wouldn't say it is too weak. Nothing to be gained by tgat argument. If you use the right bullets, heavy, designed like other big game bullets, it is fine.

Yes, I know there are more powerful rifles, but there are also less powerful ones, as well as less powerful handguns used.

The bias against .223 (which some states might not allow for hunting, but NYS does allow) comes from the history of people using full metal jacket and varmit rounds with it. But with heavy controlled expansion bullets it is fine for deer. Plus the platform is also used for other larger calibers too.

So let's just include the AR with other deer rifles :)

Bren
01-01-2013, 19:49

In some places. It used to be that way in KY, but now it's "any centerfire cartridge." So I could hunt with .25 ACP if I wanted. I have killed 2 deer with an AR-15/M4. 1 shot each with 55 gr. softpoints. Didn't hit the heart on either - one ran about 100 yards, the other never took a step. I've had them run farther with similar hits with a .45/70.

Glockdude1
01-02-2013, 07:22

When it is mentioned to me that AR15's cannot be used for hunting, I let people know AR's come in many other calibers other than .223.

I also mention the name Jim Zumbo and tell them to google him on his "knowledge" of "terrorist rifles". February 16, 2007 is a date ole Zumbo won't forget.

:cool:

OctoberRust
01-02-2013, 07:35

Yes but don't forget! He has a colt mt6400 :rofl:

Just had to mention that once more since he loves to say it in every other post of his

GreenDrake
01-02-2013, 07:41
We can hunt with anything here (capacity restricted), although the impact velocity on a deer at over 150 yards or so loses its efficacy. I have been looking at a 300 blackout or AR10 for hunting as well. Maybe I can convince an elk to just give up because my gun is so scary.

philipk
01-02-2013, 08:23
Yes but don't forget! He has a colt mt6400 :rofl:

Just had to mention that once more since he loves to say it in every other post of his

I only mention it because you claim I am anti-gun because I am for background checks.

Now I need to mention that you joined in 2011. A member for almost two years.

I joined in 2000. A member for over a decade!