Why I Hate Smartphones [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why I Hate Smartphones

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 11:38
They look stupid and they are not so smart. I have been trying a smart phone for a couple of days and for making phone calls the smart phone sucks. If you place a call and try to do data entry and the phone screen goes off you can't get the keys entered properly and then the phone starts vibrating and acting possessed. Then the call disappears or the person can't hear you. :steamed: So then you have to switch to a flip phone to make the call. I see smart phones as good for texting which I don't do and nothing else other than getting football scores. :rofl:But as far as making phone calls and making bill payments they are lousy. Maybe a video of smart phones being run over by a car would be good. :supergrin:

captainstormy
12-31-2012, 11:45
Isn't this the second anti smart phone rant you've done?

If it's that big of a problem. Buy one of those jitterbug phones they advertise on TV and be done with it.

They really aren't that hard to use. My mother bought a smart phone this year and uses it just fine. She still has a problem working her Direct TV box so it isn't like she is a tech guru.

NeverMore1701
12-31-2012, 11:46
The key to successfully utilizing any piece of equipment is being smarter than said equipment. Sounds like you might need to work on that.

caraker0341
12-31-2012, 11:52
The phone isn't supposed to be the smart part....
You may have an issue called PEBTAC(Problem exists between touchpad and chair).

dango
12-31-2012, 11:52
A smart phone in the hands of a stupid man would make it a stupid phone...! Yes , I do mean me...! :supergrin:

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 11:54
Isn't this the second anti smart phone rant you've done?

If it's that big of a problem. Buy one of those jitterbug phones they advertise on TV and be done with it.

They really aren't that hard to use. My mother bought a smart phone this year and uses it just fine. She still has a problem working her Direct TV box so it isn't like she is a tech guru.

Try talking on one. Why does the screen go dark so quickly? I guess that they are set up to make data transfers and not voice calls where you have to punch in numbers during the calls. Just a pain in the butt but knowing my luck the phone is defective. :whistling:

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 11:55
The key to successfully utilizing any piece of equipment is being smarter than said equipment. Sounds like you might need to work on that.

I was smarter than the phone..I switched and made the transactions on my flip phone. :supergrin: Solved the problem quickly.

Dan_ntx
12-31-2012, 11:57
It's all in the settings... Personalize them to work for you and how you will use the device, don't just leave everything at the default setting.

Make a list of the individual quirks that don't work for you and change settings to counteract them one by one. It took me 45 min to get my mom's smartphone set up for the way she uses it (and believe me there is no more tech averse person alive) and she is as happy as she can be. I lengthened the amount of time the screen stays lit before turning off to save power, I made sure it would never ask her to join a wifi network ever again (it scared her), and I made it display a phone keypad when she took it for her ear and looked at it in the middle of a call...

Not hard to do, but it makes the use of the phone much easier for her.

The fact that it displays a picture of who is calling while it rings is still magic...
And texting is stilla little scary, but she is getting there.

Go to the phone store and ask, or find a 14 year old relative and they will make it work the way you want it to. Maybe that ca be your resolution for 2013.

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 11:58
A smart phone in the hands of a stupid man would make it a stupid phone...! Yes , I do mean me...! :supergrin:

:rofl:I don't think we are stupid..just not flexible. I hate change and the phone foes bonkers when I try and make bill payments using the keypad portions. We are all supposed to do texts so the NSA can spy on us. :whistling:

KennyFSU
12-31-2012, 11:58
Try talking on one. Why does the screen go dark so quickly? I guess that they are set up to make data transfers and not voice calls where you have to punch in numbers during the calls. Just a pain in the butt but knowing my luck the phone is defective. :whistling:

There's a light sensor on my phone that dims the screen when I hold it to my face. This prevents my cheek from accidentally pressing any numbers or buttons (it is a touch screen afterall). As soon as I take the phone off of my face, the screen magically brightens and appears (pretty smart, right?)

The second idea behind that feature is that it saves your battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragoon44
12-31-2012, 12:03
You sound like the typical person that is clueless about smart phones. I know, I used to be one.

Trying to use one annoyed the hell out of me. Then when I finally got one and learned how to use it I wouldn't go back to a dumb phone for anything.

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 12:03
It's all in the settings... Personalize them to work for you and how you will use the device, don't just leave everything at the default setting.

Make a list of the individual quirks that don't work for you and change settings to counteract them one by one. It took me 45 min to get my mom's smartphone set up for the way she uses it (and believe me there is no more tech averse person alive) and she is as happy as she can be. I lengthened the amount of time the screen stays lit before turning off to save power, I made sure it would never ask her to join a wifi network ever again (it scared her), and I made it display a phone keypad when she took it for her ear and looked at it in the middle of a call...

Not hard to do, but it makes the use of the phone much easier for her.

The fact that it displays a picture of who is calling while it rings is still magic...
And texting is stilla little scary, but she is getting there.

Go to the phone store and ask, or find a 14 year old relative and they will make it work the way you want it to. Maybe that ca be your resolution for 2013.

Good ideas. I don't text so that is one thing I don't have to worry about. The speaker works well but that dumb screen drives me nuts. :rofl:Trying to make a transaction and it goes dark then I have to hit the button on the side to get the light back on....:wow: The I lost the rep and I could not purchase the gun. Had to call back again and that took time. :faint:I don't mind tech but aggravation drives me away. Thanks for the tips. :supergrin:

Baba Louie
12-31-2012, 12:04
Talking?!?! on a Smart Phone?!?! That's so... so, 20th century man, like vinyl or 8traks or cassettes.

Myself, I agree with Garth, "We fear change."

Darn phone, grumble, itty bitty keypad... sanafrazzin tiny farcking text.

My kids said I HAD TO HAVE ONE. Flipphone is soo, old fashioned. No one talks now Dad. We T E X T. grumble kidztoday grrrr anyoneunder 50,, grumble :wavey:

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 12:06
You sound like the typical person that is clueless about smart phones. I know, I used to be one.

Trying to use one annoyed the hell out of me. Then when I finally got one and learned how to use it I wouldn't go back to a dumb phone for anything.

:rofl:I thought the news etc was cool and then I tried today using it to make business calls...it has been a bad day for that dumb smart phone. It started going off and on for no reason. :wow: But what do you expect..it is "smart" and annoys Americans. Phones should be designed for men..we don't read directions and want it to work "NOW". :supergrin:

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 12:10
Talking?!?! on a Smart Phone?!?! That's so... so, 20th century man, like vinyl or 8traks or cassettes.

Myself, I agree with Garth, "We fear change."

Darn phone, grumble, itty bitty keypad... sanafrazzin tiny farcking text.

My kids said I HAD TO HAVE ONE. Flipphone is soo, old fashioned. No one talks now Dad. We T E X T. grumble kidztoday grrrr anyoneunder 50,, grumble :wavey:

The people I work with "talk" and don't text much at all. I will try this phone for a while and because they gave it to me for being a nice guy I will try it but the flip phones on my personal account are much easier to use.

The kids may text but I talk. I know what you are talking about exactly. My nieces tell me the same stuff. :rofl:

dango
12-31-2012, 12:10
Fear ? I fear nothing ! I just lack the Bill Gates DNA Thing !

I need to high-jack a kid or something.....!

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 12:15
There's a light sensor on my phone that dims the screen when I hold it to my face. This prevents my cheek from accidentally pressing any numbers or buttons (it is a touch screen afterall). As soon as I take the phone off of my face, the screen magically brightens and appears (pretty smart, right?)

The second idea behind that feature is that it saves your battery life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem I am having is that the screen goes off and I lose the keypad to make automated transactions and then by the time I got back to the screen the call was gone. JUst a pain in the butt. I guess I will have to play with the phone and make it suitable for my usage. Some of the stuff is annoying as hell.

I know the carriers like the smartphones because of data usage and the money it makes them. But I don't see "tech"..I see annoyance. :wavey: Kind of like walking the dog and some ahole has his dumb headphones on his smartphone and can't hear the truck coming...and gets hit. :faint:I guess I will get used to this thing at some point.

JuneyBooney
12-31-2012, 12:17
Fear ? I fear nothing ! I just lack the Bill Gates DNA Thing !

I need to high-jack a kid or something.....!

I can work the thing..I just don't like it...:rofl:Of course I hate Windows 8 too. :embarassed:

Dragoon44
12-31-2012, 12:23
It sounds more like the smart phones hate YOU.

:rofl::rofl:

Cybercowboy
12-31-2012, 12:31
JuneyBooney, you're still using Word Perfect. Perhaps smart phones aren't your thing.

Dubble-Tapper
12-31-2012, 12:33
this is what you need

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/ahaggardsubie/jitterbug_08_zpsd9efa80b.jpg

Cybercowboy
12-31-2012, 12:34
BTW, my 78-year-old father-in-law texts his grand kids now because that's how they communicate. My 76-year-old father has an iPhone and texts me all the time. He also occasionally butt-dials me, but oh well...

I will admit that about 10 years ago I thought texting was really stupid. Then I got a phone where it was practical and frankly it annoys me to actually talk on a phone now. Usually it ends up with a text afterwards anyway, so my thing is if the subject of the text starts getting involved, then you call. Not before.

dango
12-31-2012, 12:41
this is what you need

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i475/ahaggardsubie/jitterbug_08_zpsd9efa80b.jpg

Now you're talking , a not so smart phone . :supergrin:

ray9898
12-31-2012, 13:31
You have to be smarter than the device.

TK-421
12-31-2012, 13:36

The screen goes dark so quickly because that's what you have it set to do. Don't want it to go dark so quickly? Then change the setting and make it take longer before it goes dark.

The problem here isn't with the smart phone, it's with the user who doesn't know how to use it. Either use the manual, youtube, google, or any other number of resources to teach yourself how to use it. Or accept the fact that the reason it doesn't work the way you want it to isn't because the phone is bad, but because you don't know how to use it.

You wouldn't claim the car is faulty if you're trying to drive a car with a manual transmission when you don't know how to work the clutch, you'd blame the driver who doesn't know how he's doing. Same thing here. The phone works fine, the phone is great, smart phones are awesome. But if you don't know how to work it, then don't blame the phone, blame yourself.

Cali-Glock
12-31-2012, 14:43
They look stupid and they are not so smart. I have been trying a smart phone for a couple of days and for making phone calls the smart phone sucks. If you place a call and try to do data entry and the phone screen goes off you can't get the keys entered properly and then the phone starts vibrating and acting possessed. Then the call disappears or the person can't hear you. :steamed: So then you have to switch to a flip phone to make the call. I see smart phones as good for texting which I don't do and nothing else other than getting football scores. :rofl:But as far as making phone calls and making bill payments they are lousy. Maybe a video of smart phones being run over by a car would be good. :supergrin:

Perhaps you have the wrong smart phone... :tongueout:

I have frustrations with my smart phones, but I have loved them since I purchased my first Palm phone, currently using an iPhone 4S... my primary complaint with that phone is the battery life - but I use a Mophie battery case, which is a compromise I can live with for now...

Baba Louie
12-31-2012, 14:48
My nieces tell me the same stuff.JB there ya go then... have nieces give you a crash course. They'll soon have you swearing your new smart phone is the greatest invention since fire. (or so my Kids tell me... :whistling:)

Dennis in MA
12-31-2012, 14:50
Sounds like you had a Verizon phone. Lol

harlenm
12-31-2012, 16:21

The screen goes off when you cover the proximity sensor. It's so you don't hang up on people when the phone hits your ear.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 3

dango
12-31-2012, 16:39
the screen goes off when you cover the proximity sensor. It's so you don't hang up on people when the phone hits your ear.

Sent from my samsung galaxy s 3

^^ what ?

Kevin108
12-31-2012, 17:35
Try talking on one. Why does the screen go dark so quickly?

Because you haven't changed the screen time-out setting. :tongueout:

droidfire
12-31-2012, 17:58
^^ what ?

Around the top edge of the phone on the front side you should see a few small holes in the casing, maybe covered by the last layer of the screen maybe not.

One will be the front facing camera, one is a light sensor, the other is the proximity sensor. May be one more for a notification light.

Proximity sensor turns off the screen under certain conditions, or increased volume when in pocket...combine with accelerometer for flip-for-speaker and such...etc...

light sensor for auto brightness and things....

*ASH*
12-31-2012, 18:17
dont feel bad , i use a cell phone for what its existence was meant for . talking to people lol . ive got a g shock casio phone, you can slam it on floor , run over it , go swimming with it , pretty much beat the hell out of it .

does everything i want .

ofcourse im not a metrosexual . i do live old school .

wife and daughters have smart phones, the only good app is not having one .

blastfact
12-31-2012, 18:28
You need to dink with the settings. I let mine black out fast. But regen is only a button or finger swipe away. I have got so use to mine I don't even need a pad or my netbook anymore.

Waiting on the new quad core phones to be common. Then it's off to get one. As long as it's not a Apple / Mac mess. But Apple anything does make great range fodder. :)

And for the record my current phone is a custom Infuse4. Old tech in our current world. But it does Over Clock very well. :)

devildog2067
12-31-2012, 18:30
Phones should be designed for men..we don't read directions and want it to work "NOW".
I'm a man, I've never once read the instructions that came with any of my phones ever, and I've owned almost a dozen different smartphones. Never once had a problem with one. The user interface is relatively intuitive.

Rick C
12-31-2012, 18:45
The user interface is relatively intuitive.
As much as I dislike agreeing with you on most topics, this is it.
Gappy Crew Jeers.:supergrin:

ray9898
12-31-2012, 19:37

I would think true "old school" wouldn't even have a phone.

JuneyBooney
01-02-2013, 22:21
JB there ya go then... have nieces give you a crash course. They'll soon have you swearing your new smart phone is the greatest invention since fire. (or so my Kids tell me... :whistling:)

The smartphone sounds good but I don't use many apps and I just find the flip phones better for talking and automated calls. I guess if I texted etc that I would love the smartphone but I have to say I still don't like it and it eats juice like it is going out of style. :crying:

JuneyBooney
01-02-2013, 22:22
I would think true "old school" wouldn't even have a phone.

Phones in cars have been around since the 50's. Cell phones came in the mid 80's and the normal was to make them smaller...now they are getting large because you can't see a small smart phone and the carriers like our money because kids use the heck out of data. :embarassed:

JuneyBooney
01-02-2013, 22:23
I'm a man, I've never once read the instructions that came with any of my phones ever, and I've owned almost a dozen different smartphones. Never once had a problem with one. The user interface is relatively intuitive.

You are right...never read the instructions and learn by use. :supergrin:

JuneyBooney
01-02-2013, 22:25
dont feel bad , i use a cell phone for what its existence was meant for . talking to people lol . ive got a g shock casio phone, you can slam it on floor , run over it , go swimming with it , pretty much beat the hell out of it .

does everything i want .

wife and daughters have smart phones, the only good app is not having one .

I am thinking I will go back to using my flip phones all the time. I talk more than anything else and I have a computer when I want to be bothered. :whistling:

JuneyBooney
01-02-2013, 22:27
Because you haven't changed the screen time-out setting. :tongueout:

I changed it and it works a bit better. :rofl:Still don't like it though.

JuneyBooney
01-02-2013, 22:28
It sounds more like the smart phones hate YOU.

:rofl::rofl:

Now that is probably right. :rofl:

ArtificialGrape
01-02-2013, 22:55
Bluetooth.

I spend a lot of time on calls, and I regularly read email, browse the web, etc while on the phone. It also makes it easy to interact with phone systems where you have to press keys for options -- you don't have to use speakerphone, or continuously move your phone back and forth from your ear to in front of you.

-ArtificialGrape

jp3975
01-02-2013, 23:55
If you only talk on the phone...why even get a smart phone?

Smart phones are great. The best thing on it imo is Pandora. Nothing like creating your own radio station and listening to it on a long drive. Satellite Radio has nothing on it. If the news is your thing there are also aps to listen to whatever commentator you like...even some local stations.

Aps like soundhound are great. You hear a song somehwere, press a button on your phone and it tells you the name of the song and artist.

GPS can be handy...especially if you're walking around in an unfamiliar city or you dont have a dedicated unit in your car. You can look up nearby restaurants or whatever you like.

Im also fond of google sky. Point your phone at the sky and it tells you the name of each star and planet you see.

And there's something to be said about being able to use the internet anywhere you go. I barely bother on non-smart phones unless i really needed something. Takes too long.

Btw...ive never had issues talking on the phone or punching numbers when prompted. I think you just need to get used to it.

Taphius
01-03-2013, 01:37
My smartphone saves me a ton of money in stores that price match!

TBO
01-03-2013, 02:03
If you have trouble:

Balancing a checkbook
Understanding a simple news article
Taking responsibility for your shortcomings/failures
Learning new tricks

A smartphone may not be for you.

costanza187
01-03-2013, 05:53
Who needs to make a phone call? All you really need on a phone is Angry Birds.

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 06:56
If you have trouble:

Balancing a checkbook
Learning new tricks

:rofl:

forresme
01-03-2013, 07:20
Either you got it, or you don't. Some people are just not tech savy. They are the same ones you spot at the atm machines, who just can't figure out how you are supposed to be able to get money out of them. The same ones at self check out lines in stores. That's just the way their brain works, or "doesn't work".

ARP
01-03-2013, 07:55
pilot error

SC Tiger
01-03-2013, 08:41

Typically that is a setting you can change.

xtreme99
01-03-2013, 09:35
I'm listening to Pandora through my truck speakers from my phone, texting my wife, and surfing GT on my tablet that's tethered wirelessly to my smartphone, all while sitting in my tow truck waiting for my next call.

Learn to use these devices at their full potential and the user experience is amazing. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2

Grumpy Gardener
01-03-2013, 11:24
If you have trouble:

Balancing a checkbook
Learning new tricks

:rofl:

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 11:54
One day we will have sex robots operated from an app on our smart phones. That alone is worth it.

If you think you're frustrated now when the screen goes dark while making a selection, just wait

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)