Bye bye Dick's Sporting Goods! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Dick's Sporting Goods!

GasTurbine
12-31-2012, 12:43
Went into a Dick's Sporting Goods store, and decided to buy a bipod for my .17 HMR. Got to check out and the gilr says she needs to see my drivers license. I ask what for, and she says Dick's saves customer data on all firearm accessories. WTF!?

I dont know if this is something new, as I have probably spendt thousands and thousands of dollars in their stores, but no more...I politely refused with a "No thank you." and walked out.

Good bye Dick's, and good luck with your business.

rgregoryb
12-31-2012, 12:45
that is strange, I would have done the same

19crew
12-31-2012, 12:46
Went into a Dick's Sporting Goods store, and decided to buy a bipod for my .17 HMR. Got to check out and the gilr says she needs to see my drivers license. I ask what for, and she says Dick's saves customer data on all firearm accessories. WTF!?

I dont know if this is something new, as I have probably spendt thousands and thousands of dollars in their stores, but no more...I politely refused with a "No thank you." and walked out.

Maybe they do it for warranty purposes... or maybe..... they're out to get you.

Edit - I don't shop at Dicks anyways because they are way overpriced.

TSAX
12-31-2012, 13:04
Walmart checks my license for ammo just to see that Im over 21 but if they start doing this Id just buy online more.

:50cal:

walt cowan
12-31-2012, 13:05
they don't want your money. sucks to them.

Shiloh228
12-31-2012, 13:09
Walmart checks my license for ammo just to see that Im over 21 but if they start doing this Id just buy online more.

Obviously, checking a DL for birthdate is understandable -- for ammo purchase (or whiskey or smokes).

Recording all the information off it is another...not good.

Big House
12-31-2012, 13:13
Did you not hear that they stopped selling guns and even stopped gun orders that had been paid for. They sent those customers gift cards and a refund w/ a letter stating as such.

RPVG
12-31-2012, 13:13
Obviously, checking a DL for birthdate is understandable -- for ammo purchase (or whiskey or smokes).

What Shiloh228 ^^^ said.

tarpleyg
12-31-2012, 13:19
You need to make sure you write or call their HQ and let them know you're not a satisfied customer.

TK-421
12-31-2012, 13:19
Did you not hear that they stopped selling guns and even stopped gun orders that had been paid for. They sent those customers gift cards and a refund w/ a letter stating as such.

There's a reason I shop solely at my LGS, and not a big box store.

fusegsp
12-31-2012, 13:30
The Sportsman's Warehouse I go to always asks me my zip code. That doesn't bother me, but showing ID for accessories certainly would. I don't think it would have anything to do with warranty. Your receipt should cover that.

PBCounty
12-31-2012, 13:34
I want to see their money tree...I've never seen one before. I know they (along with Gander, Cabelas and Sports Authority) must have one because they build locations on prime real estate and keep them open yet everytime I go in there the employees far outnumber the customers and I never see a buyer at the checkout. I don't even buy anything from these stores yet for some reason I will make regular browse sessions out of boredom.

BEER
12-31-2012, 13:34
i miss the good old days when a check out transaction consisted of you handing the item and money to the cashier and then the cashier handing you back a bag and your change.

Huaco Kid
12-31-2012, 13:39
I would have walked also.

If they ask for my zip code, I always give 90210. Some cashiers just punch it in, some give me dirty looks.

Huaco Kid
12-31-2012, 13:48
i miss the good old days when a check out transaction consisted of you handing the item and money to the cashier and then the cashier handing you back a bag and your change.

I long for the day, when we were about 12 years old and could walk into the hardware store WITH OUR RIFLES and buy a couple boxes of .22.

GunHo198
12-31-2012, 13:51
Both local Gunshops near me records your DL info into there system for first time purchases. That way when you come back they don't need to check your DL again to tell how old you are.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

alwaysshootin
12-31-2012, 13:53
Dick's is still open?:rofl:

jknight8907
12-31-2012, 14:04
Both local Gunshops near me records your DL info into there system for first time purchases. That way when you come back they don't need to check your DL again to tell how old you are.

Wouldn't they still need to check your drivers license to see who you are?

Officer X
12-31-2012, 14:15

Incorrect.

I just picked up an 870 Express at the one near me on Friday. $329 with a $20 discount

Kloogee
12-31-2012, 14:33

I don't believe that is completely correct. The Newtown, CT store stopped selling firearms at least for a period of time. The rest of the DSG stores stopped selling "modern sporting rifles" or whatever they were previously calling their evil black guns, but are still selling their non-evil guns.

My local DSG is definitely still selling guns. The guy at the counter said he has a boatload of AR-15s in the back, but is isn't allowed to sell them.

Gallium
12-31-2012, 14:39
I would have walked also.

If they ask for my zip code, I always give 90210. Some cashiers just punch it in, some give me dirty looks.

When I shop at stores that want my phone number or zip, I ALWAYS give them the number for corporate HQ or for that store.

Big House
12-31-2012, 14:45
I don't believe that is completely correct. The Newtown, CT store stopped selling firearms at least for a period of time. The rest of the DSG stores stopped selling "modern sporting rifles" or whatever they were previously calling their evil black guns, but are still selling their non-evil guns.

My local DSG is definitely still selling guns. The guy at the counter said he has a boatload of AR-15s in the back, but is isn't allowed to sell them.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-18/business/35908469_1_rifles-goods-chain-guns

badge315
12-31-2012, 15:15
Before jumping to any conclussions, I would have asked to speak to the manager immediately. It certainly is possible that the dopey clerk didn't know what she was talking about, but there's no point in bending her ear about. Now if the manager had confirmed that nonsense, I would have ruined his day.

GunHo198
12-31-2012, 15:21
Wouldn't they still need to check your drivers license to see who you are?

Well. I'm over 40 so obviously it's me. They usually ask for my name or phone number to look up my info. I think much of it had to do with inventory. It will show where much of there stuff has gone each day. Like where in the heck all there pmags went... But that wasn't me!!!

jakebrake
12-31-2012, 15:24
There's a reason I shop solely at my LGS, and not a big box store.

really? i have several reasons.

RenoF250
12-31-2012, 15:32
I would have thought the name would have tipped you off.

Walter Bishop
12-31-2012, 15:42
I bought ammo twice at Dicks this week and neither time did they ask to see my ID. They did ask my birthdate to verify that I was 21 and legal to buy pistol ammo. They also ask if you are a U.S. citizen. Maybe if they think you might be lying about being 21 they will ask to see your ID.

NEOH212
12-31-2012, 15:44
I stopped doing business with them a long time ago.

It seems that a lot more people are getting sick of them as well.

Ohio Copper
12-31-2012, 16:03

This.

And to be honest, I could never find anything their in my size anyway. I use amazon constantly.

The Fed
12-31-2012, 16:10
I was just in my local D*cks this afternoon. Just to see what they had and to use their head. They have plenty of rifles and rifles and shotguns. But there are a lot of open slots where the black rifles were. I also checked out their ammo supply. They have some shotgun shells buit not a huge amount. Very low on handgun and rifle everything, as far as I could make out from in front of the counter. I didn't see any bricks of .22LR.

alwaysshootin
12-31-2012, 16:11

The last time I was in a Dick's, was when they had 9MM ammo on sale for $5 a box/50.

oneofthose
12-31-2012, 16:14

Because when you buy online you don't have to give any personal info???:whistling:

USMCsilver
12-31-2012, 16:49
Duck Fick's.

I quit with them when they quit with Troy Industries (and black guns, in general).

bear62
12-31-2012, 16:54
I would have simply declined to show her my driver's license then asked her to ring up the sale...... If she wouldn't do that I would have requested to see the manager...... and then tell him you would no longer be a customer...... The manager needs to hear that in person from you the customer...
Happy New Year........ :wavey::wavey::wavey:

bear62
12-31-2012, 16:56
The last time I was in a Dick's, was when they had 9MM ammo on sale for $5 a box/50.
I remember those days ....... and bought a lot of ammo.......:wavey:

Officer X
12-31-2012, 17:03
When I shop at stores that want my phone number or zip, I ALWAYS give them the number for corporate HQ or for that store.

At every store that asks, my phone number is always 867-5309. Guess I' m showing my age, I've only had one cashier pick up on it and start laughing.

G17Jake
12-31-2012, 17:03

You need an ID to buy a bipod, but not to vote.

I wouldn't have give them my DL either. Providing a ZIP code doesn't bother me. I don't give my phone number.

MrGlock21
12-31-2012, 17:12
You need to make sure you write or call their HQ and let them know you're not a satisfied customer.

I no longer buy stuff at Dick's since they quit selling handguns.
I asked to talk to the manager and let him know what I thought and that I would take my business to Academy Sports. It was a friendly conversation and he said he would "forward the dissapointment"

gtrcivic
12-31-2012, 17:32
Dicks dicked over alot of people who tried to jump on the BF Troy Carbine deal for $799. DSG took preorders paid by cc or DSG cc and got a 10% off on the deal. Then the shooting in CT and they pulled all modern sporting rifles off the racks. There were 10,000 prepaid orders around the country for these Troy Carbine ARs. Luckily i got both of mine 12 days after Thanksgiving. And people are pissed that they cant get the Troy at that price, but Troy is trying to find another retailer to carry and sell.

Kevin108
12-31-2012, 17:39
For the places that ask for a phone number, I always give them one. It's one digit off from my real number and the same number I use everywhere. I feel sorry for whatever fellow former Sprint customer has that number. :supergrin:

nipperwolf
12-31-2012, 17:40

:upeyes:

Not defending them, just correcting misinformation.

They just stopped selling AR15s. Everything else is still there. The orders that were cancelled were just for the decked out Troy AR15 that they oversold during the Black Friday sale.

I was one of the lucky ones who got my Troy before they got stupid, it was a STEAL for $799. And its a very nice rifle. I had to stop in there the other day to use the $30 rewards card I just got, picked up a couple goodies, but I'm done with them.

I just hope that Troy is able to find someone else to market their rifle through, because it is nice. ;)

PrecisionRifleman
12-31-2012, 18:43

I would be one peez'd off individual if my firearm purchase turned into a Dicks gift card. I'm glad I haven't and wont shop there.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

rolltide_pisco
12-31-2012, 18:57

This is correct. We have to get your DOB to purchase a knife, co2 tanks and airsoft guns as well.

Big House
12-31-2012, 19:04
Sorry for the wrong info. Damn, what was I thinking!

costanza187
12-31-2012, 22:24
Time for them to pull out.

harlenm
12-31-2012, 22:27

There is no dicks in Newtown. It was the store closest to Newtown, which I'm guessing is Danbury.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 3

Huaco Kid
12-31-2012, 22:39

America's obese need more tight fitting athletic wear.

They'll expand and grow.

Kloogee
12-31-2012, 23:00

Wait, I'm confused, are we talking birth control or gun control!?

LEO/Dad
01-01-2013, 09:28
Some store I checked out of recently wanted my phone number. WTF. I guess they track where their customers are coming from. This was out of town, but how do they know this at the time?

jknight8907
01-01-2013, 09:31
Some store I checked out of recently wanted my phone number. WTF. I guess they track where their customers are coming from. This was out of town, but how do they know this at the time?

They just use it to store your receipt in case of returns.

IQof1
01-01-2013, 09:34

but God help you for being a "racist" if you want to check it for voting........

IQof1
01-01-2013, 09:37
Dick's.....makes me think of Shakespeare's "What's in a name?"........