Does anybody actually know who read emails to political officials? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody actually know who read emails to political officials?

frank4570
12-31-2012, 15:54
I'm just curious how their decision making process goes. I a guessing that they have a bunch of aids who work for them. And the aids simply keep track of how many people write in for or against an issue. And that is about all there is to it. But I am totally guessing.

Harley6133
12-31-2012, 16:02
I think they just delete them all. Then do whatever the hell they want to do anyway :brickwall:

janice6
12-31-2012, 16:04
I think they just delete them all. Then do whatever the hell they want to do anyway :brickwall:

Besides sending a form letter back to you telling you they will do what they want regardless of your opinion, the above is correct.

Cali-Glock
12-31-2012, 16:07
Unpaid college and high school interns.

Jonesee
12-31-2012, 16:12
I only know how one House of Representatives' office does it.

They have clerical read every letter, email, phone message etc. They then categorize what it says. Is it in support of something before the House or is it opposed to something before the house?
I don't think email spam and form letters get much if any play at all.

These summaries are given to the Staff and to the Rep.

Letters et al. are then responded too typically by a pre-worded form letter that addresses your position and the Rep.'s position.

As I said. This was how it was handled at one Rep.'s office I know.

If you really want input in the political process. Donate money. Seriously, donations get noticed. Volunteer for the reelection campaign. Or join civic organizations the congressman is a member of. Rotary, Lyons Club, Sertoma etc. That way you get face time in a casual setting.

ClydeG19
12-31-2012, 16:27
Interns probably skim them and mark the sentiment into a column and then generate a form letter to be sent.

magpie maniac
12-31-2012, 16:32
If you express pro-Second Amendment sentiment, your information is added to "the database" for later reference when the confiscations begin.

j/k...I hope.

DevilDocsGlocks
12-31-2012, 16:34
Wrote two letters today. Encouraged others on my facebook to do the same.

Left-Right
12-31-2012, 16:36
They have clerical read every letter, email, phone message etc. They then categorize what it says.

Our daughter worked as a staff member for a US Senator during her law school years and said this is pretty much how it works there, too. She did say that they ranked the calls, letters, etc. on respective volume and made note of the categories that were the hot buttons. She said they'd use a multiplier to get a feel for how many people were up in arms about something, so even a few letters received would in effect represent a multitude of people concerned about a particular subject.

Baba Louie
12-31-2012, 17:17
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6347-Advice-for-those-of-you-writing-your-Congressional-delegation

From one who did as Jonesee and Left-Rights daughter describe. Pretty informative post within.

kyglockshooter
12-31-2012, 17:20
Besides sending a form letter back to you telling you they will do what they want regardless of your opinion, the above is correct.

That is very well said.....

paynter2
12-31-2012, 17:41
When ever I write to my Minnesota congressional members they ask what I'm writing about - economy, gay marriage, taxes, you name it.

I think they use this as a key to route your letter/email to a specific return letter - a canned response related to the category you indicated.

Al Franken has a lot more to do than worry about his constituents. He has to rig, I mean run, another election in 2 years.

frank4570
12-31-2012, 17:46
http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6347-Advice-for-those-of-you-writing-your-Congressional-delegation

From one who did as Jonesee and Left-Rights daughter describe. Pretty informative post within.

That's pretty much what I thought. In the letters I have been writing I am very brief and get right to the point.