Understanding the Criminal Mindset for Your Personal Self-Defense Decisions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the Criminal Mindset for Your Personal Self-Defense Decisions

RussP
12-31-2012, 20:09
Understanding the Criminal Mindset for Your Personal Self-Defense Decisions (http://www.usacarry.com/understanding-criminal-mindset-self-defense-decisions/?utm_campaign=12202012&utm_medium=email&utm_source=normal)

A good read...

There's been discussion recently about the mindset of those of us who carry.

We need to know the criminals' mindset. Why?

We carry the firearms we do loaded with the ammunition we do so as to be equally or better armed than an adversary, RIGHT?

Then wouldn't a superior mindset be to our advantage, too?

UtahIrishman
12-31-2012, 20:18
interesting

jph02
12-31-2012, 21:35
I am disconcerted by the author's inappropriate use of a picture, allegedly of himself, in USAF uniform. As it turns out, he's actually USAF Reserve, a point his monograph seems to be missing. Nonetheless, he is retired, and he should clearly indicate that when using his rank. Not doing so further implies he is acting in official capacity or with official approval, neither of which are the case. I wondered what his doctorate was in, but a google search yielded he's got a PhD in business. While he did, apparently, work at SOCOM headquarters, it appears he was a staff officer and lecturer, not an operator.

While his article is an interesting read with some good points, it does contain a number of errors which I would not expect from a doctorate-level author. It makes his between-the-lines inferences in his background seem all the more hyped up to me.

unit1069
01-01-2013, 00:39
It was a very good article, right up until the point where he digressed into a sales pitch instead of delivering sound advice.

RussP
01-01-2013, 07:06
I am disconcerted by the author's inappropriate use of a picture, allegedly of himself, in USAF uniform. As it turns out, he's actually USAF Reserve, a point his monograph seems to be missing. Nonetheless, he is retired, and he should clearly indicate that when using his rank. Not doing so further implies he is acting in official capacity or with official approval, neither of which are the case. I wondered what his doctorate was in, but a google search yielded he's got a PhD in business. While he did, apparently, work at SOCOM headquarters, it appears he was a staff officer and lecturer, not an operator.

While his article is an interesting read with some good points, it does contain a number of errors which I would not expect from a doctorate-level author. It makes his between-the-lines inferences in his background seem all the more hyped up to me.Please, point out the errors.

Thanks

RussP
01-01-2013, 07:07
It was a very good article, right up until the point where he digressed into a sales pitch instead of delivering sound advice.The information prior to that was good, right?

Lior
01-01-2013, 08:14
Good write-up IMO.

Bren
01-01-2013, 08:34

While his article is an interesting read with some good points, it does contain a number of errors which I would not expect from a doctorate-level author. It makes his between-the-lines inferences in his background seem all the more hyped up to me.

Most Air Force officers are reserve. You should be able to find a lot more wrong with that article than the little picture at the bottom.

steveksux
01-01-2013, 08:56
Please, point out the errors.

Thanks

http://a.usacarry.co/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/understanding-criminal-mindset-self-defense-decisions-300x273.jpg

His finger is on the trigger, for one thing... :tongueout::supergrin:

Randy

Glockrunner
01-01-2013, 09:30
The information prior to that was good, right?

I was turned away withing the first couple paragraphs. The information was wrong about the shooting.

And yes, it is all about the sales pitch. That is the reason for the post.

RussP
01-01-2013, 09:47
I was turned away withing the first couple paragraphs. The information was wrong about the shooting.I noted the date of the blog, December 17. The media outlets were still all over the place as to the weapons, the mother, and much more.

So you never read the rest of the blog?

Glockrunner
01-01-2013, 09:52
Understanding the Criminal Mindset for Your Personal Self-Defense Decisions (http://www.usacarry.com/understanding-criminal-mindset-self-defense-decisions/?utm_campaign=12202012&utm_medium=email&utm_source=normal)

A good read...

There's been discussion recently about the mindset of those of us who carry.

We need to know the criminals' mindset. Why?

We carry the firearms we do loaded with the ammunition we do so as to be equally or better armed than an adversary, RIGHT?

Then wouldn't a superior mindset be to our advantage, too?

I don't think knowing the mindset is near as important as learning how to distinguish the behavior patterns that will tell us when the fight is about to be on. We deal with too many people in our daily lives to have the time to learn, much less understand, mindsets.

Current behavior on the other hand is right there right now, as an indicator as to what that person is currently planning or getting ready to react on. Knowing the signs to look for is better than mindset to me. Let the doctors do what they do best, practice. I’ll do what I do best, practice. Life’s a crap shoot and you can’t be there on the ball all the time.

We can try as we might but unless you see it unfolding before you, you will run, duck and hide just like everyone else until you can figure out the situation as it pertains to you. IF you can see it unfolding and get in the mindset to attack before it happens, you might have a small window for successfully deverting the action of the shooter. We humans just find it really hard to apply that much attention to everyone on a daily basis and carry on our normal thoughts too.

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 09:59
It was a good read if you must have a review of recent insane criminal acts. I am glad that I carry a G17 with 33 rounds on WW 115gr JHP +p+ ammunition here in VT.

RussP
01-01-2013, 10:15
I am disconcerted by the author's inappropriate use of a picture, allegedly of himself, in USAF uniform. As it turns out, he's actually USAF Reserve, a point his monograph seems to be missing.About Col (Dr) Benjamin Findley
Col Ben is retired with 30 years service in the U.S. Air Force, with joint-services weapons training, Special Ops duty at various bases, and is Air Force qualified as "Expert" in small arms. Ben is an NRA-Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Range Safety Officer, FL Concealed Carry License Instructor, Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network Affiliated Instructor, and USA Carry Registered Instructor.Did you miss that part in bold? While he did, apparently, work at SOCOM headquarters, it appears he was a staff officer and lecturer, not an operator.I've read the blog and cannot find where he claimed to be "an operator." Where did I miss that?

By the way, I was assigned to the 56th Special Operations Wing, and I definitely saw combat. Do you see that as my claiming to be an 'operator"?While his article is an interesting read with some good points, it does contain a number of errors which I would not expect from a doctorate-level author. Which errors?It makes his between-the-lines inferences in his background seem all the more hyped up to me.Which inferences? Are you still on his assignment to SOCOM?

Here's another introduction for him. CCW License Courses & Firearms Basics Courses- Pensacola (http://www.floridashootersnetwork.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=105934)INSTRUCTOR: Col (Dr) BEN Findley, USAFR (Ret)- NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Range Safety Officer, FL Concealed Carry Weapons Instructor, USA Concealed Carry Registered Instructor, U.S. Air Force "Expert" Pistol Qualified, IDPA ESP "Marksman" Qualified, 30 Years Air Force, Special Ops, & firearms experiences, Doctorate Degree in Teaching & Business. Ordained Minister; Federal Prison consultant; author 5 books & over 300 articles; retired University Dean and Management Professor.

jph02
01-01-2013, 10:19
Most Air Force officers are reserve. You should be able to find a lot more wrong with that article than the little picture at the bottom.
It's a matter of ethics. His use of a picture in US military uniform implies an aura of officialdom or government sanction that is not there. His monograph implies experience in Special Operations that may be more than it actually is. The use of "(Dr.)", while not incorrect, suggests more than a PhD in business, at least as it relates to this article. This license he takes detracts from his credibility for me. YMMV.

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 10:37
It was a good read if you must have a review of recent insane criminal acts. I am glad that I carry a G17 with 33 rounds on WW 115gr JHP +p+ ammunition here in VT.

And VT is a very safe state. Hardly any crime at all.

robhic
01-01-2013, 10:49
Credentials of the author aside, is it just me or did others think his description of a robber's mindset seemed eerily like obama? Seriously, like the robber is irrational because he thinks he is "owed" something and is omniscient?

Who the hell does that sound like?! Forces HIS will on the American people; thinks HE knows best about what is right for us; taunts and just irritates the Republicans because he can and is a petty LITTLE man who is more like an irrational, petulant child than the leader of the free world!

This is quite interesting to me. What a spot-on description of "Dear Leader". :steamed:

And thank you, Russ, for posting this. Even thought it DID ruin the start of my 2013!!!!

Glockrunner
01-01-2013, 10:55
I noted the date of the blog, December 17. The media outlets were still all over the place as to the weapons, the mother, and much more.

So you never read the rest of the blog?
No need to waste my time. I am familiar with the outfit.

FriarTuck
01-01-2013, 11:01
Col Ben's article was a good read.

So was Massad Ayoob's, "The Face of the Enemy", the first chapter in his 30-year-old book, "The Truth About Self Protection". He tells of criminal's predatory outlook. They're like wolves or werewolves, with no compassion for their victims. You may take a liberal view about their underprivileged childhood, their tough neighborhood where pimps, drug dealers, and stickup artists get ahead, and where us straights are labelled 'whitebread' (something to be harvested for their bounty). But sympathizing with a criminal in prison is like sympathizing with the timber wolf in the local zoo: it's safe enough there, but you don't want to meet either one of them in their natural habitat.

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 11:08
Col Ben's article was a good read.

So was Massad Ayoob's, "The Face of the Enemy", the first chapter in his 30-year-old book, "The Truth About Self Protection". He tells of criminal's predatory outlook. They're like wolves or werewolves, with no compassion for their victims. You may take a liberal view about their underprivileged childhood, their tough neighborhood where pimps, drug dealers, and stickup artists get ahead, and where us straights are labelled 'whitebread' (something to be harvested for their bounty). But sympathizing with a criminal in prison is like sympathizing with the timber wolf in the local zoo: it's safe enough there, but you don't want to meet either one of them in their natural habitat.

Mass is a great writer!

Dragoon44
01-01-2013, 11:20
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself,
you will succumb in every battle”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 11:24
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself,
you will succumb in every battle”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Good quote by Sun Tzu.

Gunnut 45/454
01-01-2013, 11:32
RussP
Thanks good read - confirmed the way I confront criminal acts. Don't be a compliant victim! Fight force with force. Any weapon displade get an equal and immediate response of deadly force! As he stated in the article - robbery is an bulling attempt. I learned long ago you stand up to a bully! :supergrin:

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 12:02
RussP
Thanks good read - confirmed the way I confront criminal acts. Don't be a compliant victim! Fight force with force. Any weapon displade get an equal and immediate response of deadly force! As he stated in the article - robbery is an bulling attempt. I learned long ago you stand up to a bully! :supergrin:

You have a good understanding of CCW ethics.