Ferrofluid Fun (Nano Particles) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ferrofluid Fun (Nano Particles)

WERA49
12-31-2012, 19:17
Everyone,
This is a quick video that I made about Nano Fluid. I did a science demonstration with this ferrofluid for some elementary students. They loved it! They had a hard time believing that a container holding a fluid could be inverted, without spilling it.

I made a mess of my nice shirt because the powerful magnet jumped to the petri dish. The resullting 'clink' was immediately followed by a 'splash', which spotted my nice shirt. That is a small price to pay to teach children about science.

This was my first time using Photoshop CS6 as a video editor. I made a mistake, somewhere in the process, and lost the audio track.

Nano Fluid Fun - YouTube

Adjuster
12-31-2012, 19:44
I have no idea what I just watched in that video but it was pretty cool!

/

Resqu2
12-31-2012, 19:56
So what kind of fluid is that? I know you said ferrofluid but what is that?

WERA49
12-31-2012, 20:20
So what kind of fluid is that? I know you said ferrofluid but what is that?

A ferrofluid contains nano particles of iron (Ferrum in Latin). The symbol Fe on the periodic table of elements is iron. The spikes in the fluid is a result of the magnetic lines of force. The spikes are pointed because of surface tension. As the magnet gets closer, the magnetic field becomes stronger. The extra strength makes the fluid come together, which pulls the fluid toward the magnet.

GM has used ferrofluid for over 10 years. Ferrofluid allows the viscosity to be changed instantly. That is active suspension. A sensor detects sudden wheel motion and thickens the viscosity to slow the dampers response. On a smooth road, the sensor realizes that the oil can be thin for a smooth ride. A passive suspension uses shim stacks and springs to control the amount of oil flow through the damper.

Nanofluids are used in the manufacturing of computer parts and they are being developed to deliver medicine.

robjohn
12-31-2012, 20:48
Cool video using ferrofluid. May want to mute volume before you get to the vocals. :whistling:

http://youtu.be/xS3NkhjsBf0

janice6
12-31-2012, 20:53
Ferrofluid was used for years by my company in the mechanical rotational couplings into high-vacuum bell jars for manufacturing military memory elements for many years. It's neat stuff.

kf4zra
12-31-2012, 23:38
ok, so where do we get some? It looks really cool

Fred Hansen
01-01-2013, 00:19
Magnetorheological fluid:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_fluid

Resqu2
01-01-2013, 03:38
A ferrofluid contains nano particles of iron (Ferrum in Latin). The symbol Fe on the periodic table of elements is iron. The spikes in the fluid is a result of the magnetic lines of force. The spikes are pointed because of surface tension. As the magnet gets closer, the magnetic field becomes stronger. The extra strength makes the fluid come together, which pulls the fluid toward the magnet.

GM has used ferrofluid for over 10 years. Ferrofluid allows the viscosity to be changed instantly. That is active suspension. A sensor detects sudden wheel motion and thickens the viscosity to slow the dampers response. On a smooth road, the sensor realizes that the oil can be thin for a smooth ride. A passive suspension uses shim stacks and springs to control the amount of oil flow through the damper.

Nanofluids are used in the manufacturing of computer parts and they are being developed to deliver medicine.

Cool, Learn something new every day around here.

garyjandfamily
01-01-2013, 12:13
Ferrofluid was used for years by my company in the mechanical rotational couplings into high-vacuum bell jars for manufacturing military memory elements for many years. It's neat stuff.

25+ years ago we used Ferrofluidic mechanical rotational couplings in a series of cryogenic infrared spectrometers that we built and launched into space. :cool:

napp32
01-01-2013, 12:46
I had a slinky when I was a kid. :dunno: