2012 Honda CRV Owners Review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Honda CRV Owners Review

Restless28
01-01-2013, 05:14
We have had our 2012 CRV EX AWD for almost 9 months.

Overall it's been reliable. It seats 2 adults and 2 older kids comfortably. I like the low loading floor and ease of entry/exit. It has good visibility and decent power. The heated "leather" seats warm up quickly and the DVD system is adequate for long trips.

The bad:

In daily driving, whether its summer or winter, we never average over 21 MPG. That is daily driving with only my wife in the car. On the highway, it's a struggle to get over 25 MPG.

The transmission seems to hunt for the proper gear at weird times and the car hesitates from a stop at times.

The windows fog up in cold weather in a rapid manner. I have never owned a car that was as severe as this. The solution is to press a button that syncs the heat and blows wide open on the windows. It works, but as soon as you turn it off, the fogging begins again, so you have to constantly switch it on and off.

This is in what most of you call cool weather-the mid 30s and low 40s. It's maddening!

The audio system is clunky and the Bluetooth feels like a 5 year old system. It is not intuitive at all.

In summary, I'm not sure that I would recommend the CRV. You fellas in cold locations would hate the fogging.

In most family hauler situations, our old 156,000 mile 4wd Tahoe beats the CRV in almost everything, except city MPG. The CRV makes a handy daily driver that can occasionally haul light stuff, but it's vastly overrated as a famiły SUV, unless you have a smaller family with tiny kids.

We had a 2004 CRV EX AWD that didn't have the creature comforts and technology of this one, but it had none of the issues that this one has. It was a much better small SUV.

I give it a 3 out of 5. Consumer Reports is lying.

gwalchmai
01-01-2013, 05:32
Thanks, Restless. FWIW, my wife's RAV4 can't seem to find a gear it's happy with, either. I have to turn off overdrive if I'm cruising at the speed limit on the interstate with rolling hills.

Restless28
01-01-2013, 05:42
Thanks. That is interesting about the Rav4. When we were shopping, I recall the so-called "experts" poo-pooing the Subaru Forester's 4 speed auto. The 4 speed auto in my Tahoe works fine. It never searches for gears.

I'm not so sure that the Forester would have been better or even a CVT Outback. We've also had a recall on the door locks. That involved a less than satisfactory dealer experience. They left grease marks and stains on the interior door plastic and on the windows. When they sent an email asking for service opinions, I informed them of that lackluster attention to detail.

That's been months ago. I haven't gotten a response yet. Add this to the issues that I noted above, and our Honda experience has been disappointing.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 05:51
The windows fog up in cold weather in a rapid manner. I have never owned a car that was as severe as this. The solution is to press a button that syncs the heat and blows wide open on the windows. It works, but as soon as you turn it off, the fogging begins again, so you have to constantly switch it on and off.

There is nothing wrong with the defogging system on your vehicle, or the ammount of fogging that is happening. Your windows are fogging up for two reason that are completely your responsibility.

First, every new vehicle has massive ammounts of plastics used in the interior. Plastics are petro-chemical products. Plastics give-off massive ammounts of oily fumes that coat everything, including the inside of the windows. Therefore, the windows of new vehicles need to be cleaned every few weeks for the first year. Your windows are fogging so badly because you have not kept the inside of your windows cleaned properly.

Second, Honda vehicles do not turn the A/C on automatically when defogging is choosen. You need to manually turn on your A/C for the defogger to actually work. Check your manual on this.

Restless28
01-01-2013, 05:54
So, my Camry had magic plastic? I never had issues with it fogging.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 06:05
So, my Camry had magic plastic? I never had issues with it fogging.

What year Camry? How many miles on it when you bought it?

I believe that Toyota defogging systems DO automatically engage the A/C system.

Read your Honda manual about de-fogging, and clean the inside of all of your windows properly.

This should solve your problems.

Restless28
01-01-2013, 06:08
What year Camry? How many miles on it when you bought it?

I believe that Toyota defogging systems DO automatically engage the A/C system.

2011 SE. Bought new with less than 50 miles.

We regularly clean our windows too.

gwalchmai
01-01-2013, 06:21
M&P, why do you always assume that other posters don't know what they're talking about? Restless is probably as capable as anyone to evaluate his automobile.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 07:04
M&P, why do you always assume that other posters don't know what they're talking about? Restless is probably as capable as anyone to evaluate his automobile.

Issues with fogging on new cars is very common. Like, there's a thread on the same topic here in GNG at least a few times a year.

I'm not questioning the rest of his review, just the fogging issue.

rgregoryb
01-01-2013, 07:13
I have a 2012 CRV EXL bought it in August , we have averaged 28+ MPG ever since we bought it. On a trip to GA we got 31+MPG on the road.
On the fogging, you have to make sure it is not in the recycling cabin air mode, it needs air from the outside.
We really enjoy the CRV. I'm 63 and don't drive it like I stole it either.

It's marketed for young families and active seniors...guess I'm an active senior

Restless28
01-01-2013, 07:34
I have a 2012 CRV EXL bought it in August , we have averaged 28+ MPG ever since we bought it. On a trip to GA we got 31+MPG on the road.
On the fogging, you have to make sure it is not in the recycling cabin air mode, it needs air from the outside.
We really enjoy the CRV. I'm 63 and don't drive it like I stole it either.

It's marketed for young families and active seniors...guess I'm an active senior

Wow! I'm amazed at that MPG.

I also left out that this car has a tiny fuel tank. By the time it was loaded with 4 people and luggage for a week to the Gulf, the little Honda struggled as compared to the Tahoe on the same trip.

mymini40
01-01-2013, 07:40
Honda sucks!

gwalchmai
01-01-2013, 07:44

I also left out that this car has a tiny fuel tank. By the time it was loaded with 4 people and luggage for a week to the Gulf, the little Honda struggled as compared to the Tahoe on the same trip.Couple questions - what engine do you have in the CRV, and how much horsepower? And what for the Tahoe?

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 07:55

I also left out that this car has a tiny fuel tank. By the time it was loaded with 4 people and luggage for a week to the Gulf, the little Honda struggled as compared to the Tahoe on the same trip.

That MPG issue is one I've read before.

The smaller engines have to work so hard to move the load, they actually get worse mileage than a larger vehicle with a more powerful motor.

Z71bill
01-01-2013, 08:00
We (wife & I) almost bought a CRV back in 2010 - got an AWD fully loaded V6 Santa Fe for less $ than a 2wd CRV with a 4 banger. It was still close - I liked the CRV - wife liked the Santa Fe - it was her daily driver so she had final say.

But we still liked the CRV and figured we would get one next time -

The body style of new CRV looks cartoonish - we hate it - Honda must be running out of engineering advancements so they are trying to make up for it in style. Same thing with the New TL - and even the Civic went for stupid with the digital speedo.

I always liked Honda - hope they get back to excellence in engineering VS - let's make this thing look like it is from the future styling so I can put them back on my short list.

BTW - we have a 4x4 Tahoe as our highway cruiser - I normally get 19 MPG on the way to our destination - more like 16 on the way home. One time I averaged 19.9 MPG -

If my choice was 19 MPG in the Tahoe VS 30 MPG in a CRV on a 2,000+ mile road trip - I would take the Tahoe every time.

rgregoryb
01-01-2013, 08:11
Honda sucks!

yea, who wants a car with such a high resale value when you can have a GM or Chrysler that loses almost half it's value when you drive it off the lot

Restless28
01-01-2013, 08:29
Couple questions - what engine do you have in the CRV, and how much horsepower? And what for the Tahoe?

CRV: 2.4 L DOHC 16 Valve
185 hp @ 7000 rpm
163 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm

Tahoe: 5.3 V8
285 hp @ 5,200RPM
325 lb-ft. @ 4,000@RPM

ChuteTheMall
01-01-2013, 08:32
There is nothing wrong with the defogging system on your vehicle, or the ammount of fogging that is happening. Your windows are fogging up for two reason that are completely your responsibility.....

Your windows are fogging so badly because you have not kept the inside of your windows cleaned properly.

Nope, it's gotta be Restless's fault, maybe something he ate.:rofl:

Seriously, thanks for the review; this CRV remains high on my short list.

I am curious about actual, real-world mileage.

I tend to get towards the lower end of the EPA estimates in whatever I drive (my old Honda Prelude averaged only 19mpg in the city, and yes, I did drive it like I stole it because I did).

Hunting for gears worries me, as would inadequate acceleration, but I've observed other CRVs seem to scoot along OK in fast traffic. Maybe those drivers also have lead feet?

Have you tried to fit a full sized grown-up bicycle inside the back, with the seat down? Or a large box, or sofa? I'm only asking because sometimes it's hard to translate objective dimensions into real-world utility. Just like the size and power of your Tahoe somewhat spoiled you, moving down from a pickup truck might be a rough adjustment for me.

The Hyundais & Kias with 6 speed transmissions and 10 year warrantees continue to tempt me.

Restless28
01-01-2013, 08:38
Nope, it's gotta be Restless's fault, maybe something he ate.:rofl:

Seriously, thanks for the review; this CRV remains high on my short list.

I am curious about actual, real-world mileage.

I tend to get towards the lower end of the EPA estimates in whatever I drive (my old Honda Prelude averaged only 19mpg in the city, and yes, I did drive it like I stole it because I did).

Hunting for gears worries me, as would inadequate acceleration, but I've observed other CRVs seem to scoot along OK in fast traffic. Maybe those drivers also have lead feet?

Have you tried to fit a full sized grown-up bicycle inside the back, with the seat down? Or a large box, or sofa? I'm only asking because sometimes it's hard to translate objective dimensions into real-world utility. Just like the size and power of your Tahoe somewhat spoiled you, moving down from a pickup truck might be a rough adjustment for me.

The Hyundais & Kias with 6 speed transmissions and 10 year warrantees continue to tempt me.

Have not tried a bike. It would probably work. Negative on the sofa.

We use the Tahoe as our "truck". I have hauled 3 bikes in it, delivered a twin sized daybed, hauled dozens of bags of mulch, etc, etc.

The CRV does ok in traffic, but on hilly terrain, you have to stay in it, especially when loaded. The rear wheels actually looked buckled in on the Gulf trip. I actually told my wife on the return trip that the Tahoe was better for these trips, despite its high mileage.

As far as the MPG, when I drive it, I work to stay in the "green" meter on the dash to conserve, and I still only manage mid 20s at best. It has an ECO button that reduces power and acceleration. I hate the ECO mode. It neuters the car. The engine makes its power at high RPM.

dpadams6
01-01-2013, 08:47
Just bought a 2012 about 6months ago and could not be happier. City average about 24 and highway about 30.

rgregoryb
01-01-2013, 08:50
my pickup is for deliveries......

RenoF250
01-01-2013, 08:53
Is everyone measuring their mileage or using the computer mileage? The computer's mileage is always much better than reality.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 08:55
As far as the MPG, when I drive it, I work to stay in the "green" meter on the dash to conserve, and I still only manage mid 20s at best. It has an ECO button that reduces power and acceleration. I hate the ECO mode. It neuters the car. The engine makes its power at high RPM.

Mid-twenties seems reasonable.

What was the "City" MPG rating on the sticker?

I would bet ECO mode is terrible. It's probably just slowing the reactions to what I'm assuming is an electronic throttle.

Restless28
01-01-2013, 08:55
Is everyone measuring their mileage or using the computer mileage? The computer's mileage is always much better than reality.

I'm using the computer.

Restless28
01-01-2013, 08:56
mid-twenties seems reasonable.

What was the "city" mpg rating on the sticker?

I would bet eco mode is terrible. It's probably just slowing the reactions to what i'm assuming is an electronic throttle.

22 City/ 30 Highway/ 25 Combined

rgregoryb
01-01-2013, 08:59
computer...I'm a UGA grad, math is not my thing...:supergrin:

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 09:01

FWIW, the computer's calculation of mileage on current mustangs is actually less than reality....despite the picture below taken while I was coasting for several miles on a steep decline.:supergrin::supergrin:
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae41/pugcra/SKYLINE/DSCF0117.jpg
I wonder if most people that see differences between the computer MPG calculations and their own, understand that those two measurements have to be for the same tank of gas. In other words, you have to re-set the computer's MPG calculator at the same time you fill the tank up and zero the trip odometer.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 09:02
22 City/ 30 Highway/ 25 Combined

Sounds like you're good then.

I think the current CRV is a pretty heavy vehicle.....something like 4k lbs, right?

ChuteTheMall
01-01-2013, 09:05
Sounds like you're good then.

I think the current CRV is a pretty heavy vehicle.....something like 4k lbs, right?

Wrong.

Closer to 3k.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 09:11
Wrong.

Closer to 3k.

3300-3500, depending on which drive-train the OP has.

Still, not light for a 4 cyl.

Gallium
01-01-2013, 09:14
Wrong.

Closer to 3k.

No. You're wrong jackalope. :tongueout:

Restless28
01-01-2013, 09:28
3545 according to Honda for mine. EX-L with RES

amazon
01-01-2013, 09:29
I have a 2012 CRV EX-L AWD w/Nav. Have had it for 3 months now, and still love it Was averaging high 20's for combined. Now it's dropping due to the cold weather. I use "fuely" to track my mileage

Regarding the fogging - I'm always cleaning my interior windows (pet peeve), I even keep a micro fibre towel in the car. I have no fogging issues.

Our son's moved out (military), so it's just the two of us. It's a perfect size for us, plus the occasional passengers. I wouldn't want to try to raise a family driving around in one, I think it's a tad small. JMO But great for packing up just about anything.

I guess I'm confused how anyone could compare this to a Tahoe...

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 09:30
3545 according to Honda for mine. EX-L with RES

The weight of new vehicles is astonishing. And yours is a relatively light vehicle on today's market.

Gallium
01-01-2013, 09:42
I have a 2012 CRV

Just wanted to add - LOVE your website! :supergrin:

manfred the wonder d
01-01-2013, 09:44
I have a 2010 I bought new with 148,000 miles.4 wd. I have replaced 3 headlight lamps at about $10 a pop and that's all.
Computer says 26 mpg. I admit I never clean the windows inside but haven'
t had a fogging problem.
I do go through tires though. Factory tires went quick, probably 25,000 miles.

Z71bill
01-01-2013, 09:45
I guess I'm confused how anyone could compare this to a Tahoe...

I will guess because he has a Tahoe and a CRV.

So when you have a trip to take (going to the Gulf) you can choose which to take -

If we are going 5 miles to have lunch we always take the smaller SUV (Santa Fe in my case) - but even if we are only going a couple hundred miles on the highway we take the Tahoe -

I don't think anyone is actually trying to decide - which should I get a Tahoe of a CRV.

GLWyandotte
01-01-2013, 09:50
yea, who wants a car with such a high resale value when you can have a GM or Chrysler that loses almost half it's value when you drive it off the lot

This
I just sold my deceased father's 2010 CRV with 2 wheel drive, 4 cylinder and 13,000 miles for $17,900.
To a dealer.

gwalchmai
01-01-2013, 09:53
3300-3500, depending on which drive-train the OP has.

Still, not light for a 4 cyl.My Sonata's heavier than that, and I've averaged a bit over 27 mpg over 45K miles, 75% in town.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 10:01
My Sonata's heavier than that, and I've averaged a bit over 27 mpg over 45K miles, 75% in town.

You sure? I'm seeing 2012 Sonata SEs at 3300 lbs.

JBL13
01-01-2013, 10:03
Second, Honda vehicles do not turn the A/C on automatically when defogging is choosen. You need to manually turn on your A/C for the defogger to actually work. Check your manual on this.

My Civic's A/C compressor turns on on when I activate the defroster.

benji
01-01-2013, 10:07
On my 2005 Honda Element there is a series of button pushes or something that can change it to automatically operate either way by default. I have mine set up so that I control it with the A/C button. Check your owner's manual.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

DanaT
01-01-2013, 10:16
In daily driving, whether its summer or winter, we never average over 21 MPG. That is daily driving with only my wife in the car. On the highway, it's a struggle to get over 25 MPG.

The transmission seems to hunt for the proper gear at weird times and the car hesitates from a stop at times.

<<<SNIP>>>>

I give it a 3 out of 5. Consumer Reports is lying.

I was not impressed with the CRV my wife had. That is why we didnt buy another one. The Murano is much bigger and nicer and it averages 22-23 overall.

The CRV getting poor gas mileage and hunting for gears is likely because of lack of power. You drive it "harder" for normal acceleration.

I told you you would be happier with a BMW...:tongueout:

ChuteTheMall
01-01-2013, 10:27
No. You're wrong jackalope. :tongueout:

I didn't know he had leather.:whistling:

Gallium
01-01-2013, 10:33
I didn't know he had leather.:whistling:

Every XL comes with a MIL duct taped in the trunk. Betcha didn't know that either!

amazon
01-01-2013, 10:43
I will guess because he has a Tahoe and a CRV.

So when you have a trip to take (going to the Gulf) you can choose which to take -

If we are going 5 miles to have lunch we always take the smaller SUV (Santa Fe in my case) - but even if we are only going a couple hundred miles on the highway we take the Tahoe -

I don't think anyone is actually trying to decide - which should I get a Tahoe of a CRV.

ahh, gotcha. :supergrin:

amazon
01-01-2013, 10:44
Just wanted to add - LOVE your website! :supergrin:

:supergrin:

gwalchmai
01-01-2013, 10:55
You sure? I'm seeing 2012 Sonata SEs at 3300 lbs.The 2009s were 3350, IIRC. ;)

ChuteTheMall
01-01-2013, 11:16
The 2009s were 3350, IIRC. ;)

Is that with nitrogen in the tires?

czsmithGT
01-01-2013, 11:20
My Sonata's heavier than that, and I've averaged a bit over 27 mpg over 45K miles, 75% in town.

That's been my experience as well. The Sonata SE is quite aerodynamic. Only thing I hate about mine is the wheels/tires and the fact it is fragile. Replaced the front bumper assembly twice for very minor impacts and the interior wear is noticeable after only about 25K miles.

I'm still thinking about a Tucson or Santa Fe to replace my gas gulping V-8 Mercury Mountaineer when its extended warranty is up next year, but I am open to Ford or Subaru alternatives. Probably will pass on Honda or Toyota.

JMS
01-01-2013, 11:22
I was not impressed with the CRV my wife had. That is why we didnt buy another one. The Murano is much bigger and nicer and it averages 22-23 overall.

Make sure to compare apples to apples. Murano/Pilot/Highlander or Rogue/CRV/Rav4.

drew4691
01-01-2013, 23:22
i have an 06 se. i get 21-23 city (21 now in the cold) and best i've seen on a long highway trip was 25.5. it does what it's supposed to do i guess :P no fogging issue tho.

gwalchmai
01-02-2013, 04:41
Is that with nitrogen in the tires?:supergrin: