NY Times: Letís Give Up on the Constitution [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: Letís Give Up on the Constitution

HerrGlock
01-01-2013, 05:21
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/31/opinion/lets-give-up-on-the-constitution.html?_r=0

Baba Louie
01-01-2013, 05:39
Hahaha
And he teaches Con Law at Georgetown. I'm sure the editorial will spark controversy and even a few fans.

Part of me wonders where the tar and feathers are, because this smacks hard into the dogma I've been brainwashed with over the last 6 decades.

Another part of me says, the Govt ignores it (COTUS) when it suits them anyway, pays lip service to it at best so WTH.

BUT, too many fine young men and women have laid down their lives for all that piece of paper stands for, to see someone so casually denigrate it into obscurity. IMO

I could be wrong, but I'm not.

stevelyn
01-01-2013, 05:44
Anyone that can't see these people as enemies of the republic are either blind or a part of the problem.

exmdshooter
01-01-2013, 06:05
Anyone that can't see these people as enemies of the republic are either blind or a part of the problem.

To paraphrase some old, dead guy who's name I cant remember (:whistling:) - our Constitutional form of government is the absolute worst form of government ever devised... with the exception of every other form of government that's ever been tried.

I am so damned tired of these elitist, self-described "intellectuals" who think they are so much smarter than the guys who devised our system of government... they are not. Truth is, they despise the Constitution precisely because it accomplishes what it is supposed to - it throws roadblocks in the path of those who would acquire tyrranical power over the people.

Over the years these would-be tyrants have become increasingly emboldened by their successful attempts to sneak around its provisions, creatively "reinterpret" its words to suit their own liking, and sometimes just ignore it completely. Yet it's still there, and still a thorn in the side of would-be despots. Tough.

I once took an oath to defend that (imperfect, but better than anything else ever written) document against all enemies foreign and domestic. I may no longer wear a uniform but I never renounced that oath. I'm just sayin'

Baba Louie
01-01-2013, 06:31
To paraphrase some old, dead guy who's name I cant remember (:whistling:) - our Constitutional form of government is the absolute worst form of government ever devised... with the exception of every other form of government that's ever been tried.

I am so damned tired of these elitist, self-described "intellectuals" who think they are so much smarter than the guys who devised our system of government... they are not. Truth is, they despise the Constitution precisely because it accomplishes what it is supposed to - it throws roadblocks in the path of those who would acquire tyrranical power over the people.

Over the years these would-be tyrants have become increasingly emboldened by their successful attempts to sneak around its provisions, creatively "reinterpret" its words to suit their own liking, and sometimes just ignore it completely. Yet it's still there, and still a thorn in the side of would-be despots. Tough.

I once took an oath to defend that (imperfect, but better than anything else ever written) document against all enemies foreign and domestic. I may no longer wear a uniform but I never renounced that oath. I'm just sayin'The truly sad part is this man TEACHES constitutional law to students from a well known DC Law School. Shapes their little minds so to speak.

While some may actually learn to think, I dare say some will just regurgitate what Professor soandso said and become a Judge someday.

Or a Politician... :shocked:

Spiffums
01-01-2013, 06:39
Well it was wrote by heterosexual, rich, white, slave owning men. There is no way it can reflect the values of America today so we might as well get rid of it..........right? RIGHT? Yeah I didn't think so. These people who wanna just throw out our foundation documents should be charged with treason and put to death.

CAcop
01-01-2013, 06:57
The truly sad part is this man TEACHES constitutional law to students from a well known DC Law School. Shapes their little minds so to speak.

While some may actually learn to think, I dare say some will just regurgitate what Professor soandso said and become a Judge someday.

Or a Politician... :shocked:

Nah. You can't be a Supreme Court justice without going to Harvard or Yale.

This guy is an idiot. Essentially he is saying, "I want to violate the parts of the Constitution I don't like."

JWG_34
01-01-2013, 07:06
Amen Sir!
You said it all in those few words. I have never did military service ,but I would gladly lay down my life for this great country of ours. Its not perfect,But In my opinion its the best country in the world.
And on that note, I would like to thank You for your service to our country. May God bless you and the United States of America.
Thanks
Jeff

I once took an oath to defend that (imperfect, but better than anything else ever written) document against all enemies foreign and domestic. I may no longer wear a uniform but I never renounced that oath. I'm just sayin'

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 07:09
Mucho truth here.....

Enemies of the Constitution, our "elected officials" are. On both sides of the aisle.

M2 Carbine
01-01-2013, 07:15
How about I just treat him in a manner that is in violation of his Constitutional rights?

As someone who has taught constitutional law for almost 40 years,
People like him make me sick. He's never been out in the real world and I'll bet he has never laid his ass on the line for anyone or anything in his life or did a month of honest hard labor.
But yet he thinks he is qualified to set the rules on how real people live in the real world.

Mr Spock
01-01-2013, 07:27
How about I just treat him in a manner that is in violation of his Constitutional rights?

People like him make me sick. He's never been out in the real world and I'll bet he has never laid his ass on the line for anyone or anything in his life or did a month of honest hard labor.
But yet he thinks he is qualified to set the rules on how real people live in the real world.

Ever met a liberal elitist who didn't have an ivory tower from which to look down on the world? I haven't.

Just the same standard fare garbage from a standard fare elitist POS. Nothing more.

Bren
01-01-2013, 07:30

Sadly, each new generation of lawyers and judges learns constitutional law from those of the last generation who lean farthest to the right (and rarely have any real world experience). As a result, the constitution will lean farther and farther left until it falls over.

exmdshooter
01-01-2013, 07:30
The truly sad part is this man TEACHES constitutional law to students from a well known DC Law School. Shapes their little minds so to speak...

Kind of reminds me of another "constitutional law professor" who's actions demonstrate a similar disregard for our foundational document. I suspect that inside the liberal bubble of academia the objective of studying that document is to find new and creative ways of subverting its meaning and intent.

Amen Sir!
You said it all in those few words. I have never did military service, but I would gladly lay down my life for this great country of ours. Its not perfect, But In my opinion its the best country in the world.

And on that note, I would like to thank You for your service to our country. May God bless you and the United States of America.
Thanks
Jeff

Thank you Jeff, but my brief stint in the reserves was uneventful and not worthy of praise... especially compared with so many who have truly put their lives on the line... so many who have paid the ultimate price in defense of our nation. But the highlight of my humble service was the taking of that oath, which I consider binding for life.

Just a run-of-the-mill civilian for many years now, but like you willing to pay most any price to preserve this great nation. Something else the founders got right - we all... the whole of the people... have not only the right, but the duty to protect the freedom they gave us in order to hand it to the next generation of Americans. There truly is such a thing as American Exceptionalism... that of an exceptional nation founded on an idea, not on an accident of geography or on the whim of a ruling despot. An idea worth defending at all cost. :patriot:

Bruce M
01-01-2013, 08:10
I wonder if we have got to where we are today because of the Constitution or in spite of it.

fx77
01-01-2013, 08:35
That is how you get G town grads like Sandra Fluke!

Rotn1
01-01-2013, 08:40
Originally Posted by exmdshooter

Reminds me of my uncle.
Thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. Always trying to manipulate everyone else to get his way. He thinks he so clever that no one else can see throgh his BS. Has the answer for everything. Argues and berates you when you disagree or wont do it his way. Insults and criticizes everyone when you do something else.

And just like this prof, HE IS CONSTANTLY WRONG. Nothing he does ever works out the way he thought or intended. Couldn't organize a driking party in a brewery, but always needs to be in charge.

Sorry for the deflection but for some reason the similarities jumped out at me this morning

Shinytop
01-01-2013, 08:49
He is pretty short on understanding of the Constitution as a whole. The really great part of the Constitution is that it allows change. It allows change to begin with Congress or the states. It does not make change fast or easy so that the emotions of events do not drive change. So if the esteemed professor does not like part of the Constitution let him be the initiator of change.

A true teacher of the Constitution should be all about initiating the change he desires, not the scrapping of the document.

He should not be allowed to teach the Constitution.

G19Tony
01-01-2013, 09:04
The Constitution: Not perfect? Maybe. Better than anything else out there? Absolutely!

To the Professor: :tongueout:

Cybercowboy
01-01-2013, 09:08
So I guess all that talk about secession is OK now?

barbedwiresmile
01-01-2013, 09:24
And yet most 'conservatives' here think the patriot act, NDAA, prohibition, and DUI checkpoints are swell.

I guess it's ok to disregard the Constitution, sometimes.

wjv
01-01-2013, 09:44
Darn straight!

Let's get rid of that "freedom of the press" first to start the transition!

googanelli
01-01-2013, 10:10
The constitution and bill of rights were written to garantee the PEOPLE'S rights. Not the government. Arseholes like this really bother me. They want to modify the constitution to make things easier for the government. Our founding documents were written to SLOW the process for government and make it hard to accomplish anything. They wanted the government out of the way as much as possible. The author knows this. He just wants things to be able to move faster to what HE wants. And every other idiot that has been elected in the last 20 years. The ability to rule. Remember Clinton's Line Item Veto he wanted? Same ****.....

Joe

cowboywannabe
01-01-2013, 10:12
give up on the Constitution? lets see them start with the 1st Amendment as it applies to the press.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-01-2013, 10:14
The Constitution does NOT depened on what people thought 225 years ago.

Instead, the Constitution's value is that we read it today and have a common set of rules to guide us. If we throw away the rules, then yes we can do anything we want. Tyrrany of the masses. With a Constitution we are less prone to whim.

And besides, we can change the Constitution if we want, but just need a larger and wider majority of votes to do it.

dango
01-01-2013, 10:27
We are the masses and out number all . I swore to that paper and my country and it sickens me the number of sheeple out there.

That oath , it still stands !

Jake Starr
01-01-2013, 10:34
I see a storm coming...all I can say is "let is rain."