Recommend a good tow rope/strap to me please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good tow rope/strap to me please

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 08:33
Last week while I was in Texas, a buddy got his truck stuck in the mud. I realized I don't have a tow rope or strap in my truck.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good, sturdy rope or strap I can get?

I ended up pulling him out with 2 dog collars, and need something made for the task.

Are recovery straps better to use?

Thanks.

Resqu2
01-01-2013, 08:56
Hit any tractor or farm type store, get the kind that's made from webbing with the loops already sewn. I'm not a fan of ropes for task like that.

davew83
01-01-2013, 09:11
Amazon.com: Pro Comp 330000 3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 30,000 lb Capacity: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31g%2BYpUTQjL.@@AMEPARAM@@31g%2BYpUTQjL

For getting stuck vehicles out you need a recovery strap not a tow strap.

Monte4283
01-01-2013, 09:38
As others have said get the recovery strap. I also recommend you always hook the strap to the rear of the truck doing the pulling NOT the front.

Years ago a buddy of mine cut some bushes down and tried pulling the roots out with his Yukon. He hooked to the front hooks in bumper and pulled in reverse. Ended up breaking his transfer case.

Adjuster
01-01-2013, 09:38
Harbor Freight also carries a pretty nice one of the webbing type with hooks sewn in.

/

Steve_G
01-01-2013, 09:59
Unless you have more that a 1 ton truck a 2" wide strap is sufficient, A 3" wide strap is too stiff for light vehicles.

gjk5
01-01-2013, 10:02
Amazon.com: Pro Comp 330000 3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 30,000 lb Capacity: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Comp-330000-Recovery-Strap/dp/B000CN9ZTW)

For getting stuck vehicles out you need a recovery strap not a tow strap.

I have had this one for ten years and beat the hel out of it. Good strap.

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 10:47
What do you think of something like part number 100432 HERE (http://www.winchline.com/towlines.html)

Viking Kinetic Recovery / Tow Ropes

Why Choose a Viking Kinetic Recovery Tow Rope over a strap? The Viking Tow Ropes stretch 30% at breaking point which makes them more effective than straps. The high degree of stretch makes the Recovery Ropes extremely effective. The point of a Recovery Rope or Snatch Strap is to provide stretch in a dynamic pull (opposite is true for winchlines in a static pull). The more stretch the more kinetic energy is built up to help move the vehicle, and the less impact on the vehicle itself.

Viking Kinetic Recovery Tow Ropes are made from 100% Premium DuPont™ Nylon Double Braid. Our ropes are dyed black to minimize discoloration when dirty and to maintain better visibility when used in snow and sand. Eyes are protected with heavy duty nylon guards with strength identofied. All our ropes are 100% US made: both fiber and assembly.

When choosing a Tow Rope size, plan the breaking strength to be approximately 3 times the weight of your vehicle. For larger vehicles this number is closer to the weight of the vehicle.

SAFETY NOTE: Do not use Tow Ropes or Tow Straps (kinetic snatch straps etc.) with winches. Never connect ropes / straps end to end with other kinetic ropes / straps with shackles or metal connectors.

Viking Kinetic Rope in Action - YouTube

HarleyGuy
01-01-2013, 10:52
I've owned 4x4"s for many years and I've pulled countless vehicles (even pushed a couple of semi's up icy entrance ramps) with my vehicles.

These days, the newer vehicles are so delicate and the fascias (front and rear) make it almost impossible to to find a safe place to hook onto the vehicle.

If you're going to attempt pulling someone out of a mud or snow bank, be sure that they hook your strap/rope and discuss the possibility of damage to their vehicle and also keep in mind that you're putting your own vehicle at risk of mechanical or physical damage if something goes wrong.

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 10:53
That is true HarleyGuy, tow hooks on vehicles that break off become missles and can kill.

davew83
01-01-2013, 11:02
Harbor Freight also carries a pretty nice one of the webbing type with hooks sewn in.

/

Those are tow ropes not recovery straps and should only be used to move a vesicle that isn't stuck.

Tippyman
01-01-2013, 11:15
I go 4x4ing very often, and as stated NO METAL HOOKS! Get a "snatch strap". Basically a big bungee cord, haha. They work wonderfully and you don't get any shock to the rigs when it goes tight. I have an ARB that gets used multiple times a weekend.

Tractor supply has good ones too but don't get the 3" one, it is too big for most suv sized vehicles and won't stretch properly, the two inch one is good.

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 11:58
I'm leaning toward the Viking Kinetic Recovery / Tow Rope - anyone have experience with it?

Recovery by Viking Kinetic Rope - YouTube

ThinkMud
01-01-2013, 12:13
Bubba rope!

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 13:21
The Viking is similar, but less expensive for stronger rope than the Bubba. Both are the same concept though, and I like the idea of using kenetic energy fo free a stuck vehicle.

Z71bill
01-01-2013, 14:00
Those are tow ropes not recovery straps and should only be used to move a vesicle that isn't stuck.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/4809/category/802/

This one may work better $37 and you can always find a 20% off coupon.

Redheadhunter21
01-01-2013, 14:10
I have a 30k recovery strap from harbor freight and have used it for everything. I've had it for about 4 years and its stays in my toolbox. No metal hooks is a must, and if someone is really stuck lay a wet blanket or something on the strap in case it breaks or comes off where attached. I always flip my toolbox lid up just as a precaution even a strap or rope can be deadly

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fjrdc
01-01-2013, 19:21
DO NOT, I REPEAT ,DO NOT use a recovery strap with a hook or ANYTHING metal, YOU are taking your lives in your hands, I have seen hook failures ,not pretty! broken hooks going thru tail gates ,I have also read about tow strap hooks going thru rear windows KILLING the driver!:wow:

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 22:03
I've owned 4x4"s for many years and I've pulled countless vehicles (even pushed a couple of semi's up icy entrance ramps) with my vehicles.

These days, the newer vehicles are so delicate and the fascias (front and rear) make it almost impossible to to find a safe place to hook onto the vehicle.

If you're going to attempt pulling someone out of a mud or snow bank, be sure that they hook your strap/rope and discuss the possibility of damage to their vehicle and also keep in mind that you're putting your own vehicle at risk of mechanical or physical damage if something goes wrong.

Great advice, thanks. This will be used mostly for guys with non 4x4 trucks, they tend to get stuck in the mud when we track dogs.

I go 4x4ing very often, and as stated NO METAL HOOKS! Get a "snatch strap". Basically a big bungee cord, haha. They work wonderfully and you don't get any shock to the rigs when it goes tight. I have an ARB that gets used multiple times a weekend.

Tractor supply has good ones too but don't get the 3" one, it is too big for most suv sized vehicles and won't stretch properly, the two inch one is good.

Which ARB do you have, Tippyman?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/product/view/id/4809/category/802/

This one may work better $37 and you can always find a 20% off coupon.

Thanks Z71bill, but my Excursion is 8k lbs dry, I may want something a little stronger. That would be great to keep in my old Pathfinder.

:supergrin:

I have a 30k recovery strap from harbor freight and have used it for everything. I've had it for about 4 years and its stays in my toolbox. No metal hooks is a must, and if someone is really stuck lay a wet blanket or something on the strap in case it breaks or comes off where attached. I always flip my toolbox lid up just as a precaution even a strap or rope can be deadly

Great advice, I've seen them break.

davew83
01-01-2013, 23:43
You will need clevis shackles for your front tow hooks.

Nest
01-01-2013, 23:54
Stay away from anything Harbor Freight if you are putting your life or valuables at risk in any way. I have had a harbor freight tow rope to try and pull out a pole for a clothesline. The rope snapped just from the truck pulling at idle.

We hooked it up to the hitch, and eased the truck forward until it was taught. Then I backed up while my dad was gonna pull it. He let off the brake and before he touched the gas it snapped. Not at the knot or where it wrapped around the hitch either. It snapped about 6 inches from the hitch.

Rinspeed
01-02-2013, 10:22
I've never tried one but the Bubba Ropes come very well recommended.

Bacchus99
01-02-2013, 12:23
Yeah pretty much any time your pulling anything out the mud put some dead weight on your strap or chain in the middle so if something breaks the dead weight will make it hit the ground.

Bacchus99
01-02-2013, 12:24

Oops...beat me to it. Great advice!

SC Tiger
01-02-2013, 12:35
As others have said get the recovery strap. I also recommend you always hook the strap to the rear of the truck doing the pulling NOT the front.

Years ago a buddy of mine cut some bushes down and tried pulling the roots out with his Yukon. He hooked to the front hooks in bumper and pulled in reverse. Ended up breaking his transfer case.

You'll love this - a few months ago I had to pull a buddy's truck from his house to a mechanic (late at night so no traffic). Nothing to hook to on the front of his truck so we pulled them back to back (ie he was going down the road backwards). Worked great once he figured out he needed to be on what would normally be the "wrong side of the road" based on how he was facing.

Tippyman
01-02-2013, 12:43
I have the orange ARB 2" kinetic recovery strap. Its a little expensive and honestly you dont need one that costs that much.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SC Tiger
01-02-2013, 15:16

I saw those used on "Top Gear" on the North Pole special (where they tried to drive to the North Pole). Very clever.

Monte4283
01-02-2013, 16:04
You'll love this - a few months ago I had to pull a buddy's truck from his house to a mechanic (late at night so no traffic). Nothing to hook to on the front of his truck so we pulled them back to back (ie he was going down the road backwards). Worked great once he figured out he needed to be on what would normally be the "wrong side of the road" based on how he was facing.

:rofl:

I bet that was sight.

Redheadhunter21
01-02-2013, 23:33

Thats kinda funny did something similar friend of mine had a chevy 454 ss truck with a real nice painted front end, so i hooked up to the hitch of his truck with my 3-wheeler(200 bigred) towed him backwards about a mile so we could work on his truck at my house with all the tools

JohnBT
01-03-2013, 07:22
"any time your pulling anything out the mud put some dead weight on your strap or chain in the middle so if something breaks the dead weight will make it hit the ground."

Good advice. A heavy coat or blanket will do. I've used snatch straps for years on the Outer Banks. Only once for my vehicle though. You don't want to be stuck on the beach when the tide comes in.

RichJ
01-03-2013, 07:50
When you say no metal hooks, is that because they could break/ slip off or because they make the strap more dangerous as a projectile if the hook comes loose and goes flying?

also: how do you feel about looped straps that are used with steel tow shackles?

like these

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4CstJ40b06nJ8Yyq9LYOSI48Ishf6nTZfTmrp2579VehyBd8H