When will the fake "shortage" end [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : When will the fake "shortage" end

wvtarheel
01-01-2013, 12:04
All the panic buying has brought about a temporary shortage in my area on several items. You can't buy .223, 5.56, cheap 9mm (though higher end stuff is still there), can't get ANY 9mm glock mags, no AR mags of any sort, and there are no semi-automatic rifles anywhere locally, from gun shops to big box stores. Even stuff like Ruger 10/22s are all gone.

So when will the panic-buying-induced shortage end?

A guy at one big box store told me they should have a shipment of .223 ammunition next week, other stuff he didn't know.

Anyone have any idea when all this stuff will hit the shelves again?

MtBaldy
01-01-2013, 12:09
It's not fake. Hopefully it's temporary but the shortage is very real due to unexpected demand as a result of the Newtown shootings.

M&P15T
01-01-2013, 12:18
Imagine if there is another mass-shooting in the near future.

The more certain it is that anti-gun legislation will pass, the more panic buying will occur.

arclight610
01-01-2013, 12:33
Even the $12/box 5.56 frangible stuff at the local Wal-Mart is gone. About the only thing unmolested is the $15/box 9mm Prvi

GAFinch
01-01-2013, 12:43
Some smaller businesses, including sellers/distributors, are on break for the holidays so the shortages may ease up a little bit in a couple days. Nothing fake about it.

Jonesee
01-01-2013, 12:46
It's not fake. Hopefully it's temporary but the shortage is very real due to unexpected demand as a result of the Newtown shootings.

The panic purchasing of amunition will run its course and be done.
The reasons are simple:
* At some point, people will have all the ammo they want, or can afford, or can store.
* We are ending our armed conflicts around the world, so the demand for ammo to support the war efforts will abate.
* When the demand from the DOD abates, ammuniton manufacturers will move production to the domestic market.
* When production is increased, demand is quickly satisfied.

However:
A tax on ammunition (if legislated)will create another run on ammo to purchase it before the tax hits.
Again that will be a temporary run and increase in demand.

As with any commodity, A "run" or something contributing to an artificial increase in demand, will abate with time and have the opposite impact on future demand.
Quite simply, sales today are canabilizing sales from the future.

Glock20 10mm
01-01-2013, 14:18
I am so glad I stocked up back when CA was threatening to ban internet sales of ammo. I hear a lot of people are looking for ammo that I have in sufficient quantities... all it took was a little nudge and foresight.

shotgunred
01-01-2013, 14:22
When people quit panic buying or when they have all maxed out out their credit cards.

DrMaxit
01-01-2013, 14:23
I don't know but it's very irritating for me as most of my stuff was stolen not long ago and I'm just trying to get my stock back up. I'll be pissed if a ban of some sort goes through and I only have a few mags for the two guns I have left. Irritating.

Bruce M
01-01-2013, 14:38
The shortage will end at 11:23 am on February 17.

Green Dragoon
01-01-2013, 14:42
The shortage will end at 11:23 am on February 17.

I was thinking 11:59 on the 17th. That's when everyone heads out to lunch.

tcruse
01-02-2013, 09:47
A quick survey of 2 local Walmarts indicated no handgun ammo in any caliber. No 223/5.56 ammo. Some 30.06 and 30.30. No bulk .22LR or popular smaller boxes of 22lr

Fear Night
01-02-2013, 09:58
The panic buying will not stop until the politicians stop talking about gun control. With Obama announcing publicly that gun control will be one of the new top priorities for his 2nd term, it could be 4+ more years of panic buying.

I'm not convinced anything major is going to pass with our Red controlled House, but just the mere threat keeps the panic buying going.

mgs
01-02-2013, 10:02
When some other big story comes along!

GAFinch
01-02-2013, 10:05
Feinstein is introducing her bill tomorrow.

cowboywannabe
01-02-2013, 10:26
the shortage will never end because the 47%ers always vote for big government along with a few percent of the politically uneducated moderates.

Spiffums
01-02-2013, 11:35
I doubt there will be supply before February. No one really does anything till after SHOT Show in the firearms world.

ScottieG59
01-02-2013, 12:06
My first big move was to upgrade my home security. I moved my stuff into the largest gun safe I could get. I secured everything, such as weapons, knives, ammo, holsters, magazines, etc. The goal is to keep what I have

I always stockpiled ammo. It has been mostly because I do not like shopping.

I understand the fear people are feeling. In a few cases, I did purchases a day or so ahead of the panic buys.

I go to the Kansas City Cabela's every so often. There are many first time buyers there are they are buying lots of firearms. The ARs were sold out quickly and the have signs telling people about it. Many buyers do not know what they want nor what ammo they need. I ended helping a couple people who did not have a clue.

There have always been these sort of issues. During the 1994 ban, I did not care at all. I was overseas in the Army and I was not looking to buy anything.

This time around, I am very annoyed with the proposed changes. I did some extra firearms purchases. I also picked up a few extra magazines. I paid no premium pricing.

GunHo198
01-02-2013, 12:10
I was out today and saw a 30 round 556 Remington mag for $30. Guy said they are 1 per customer as there shipments are slow. Should I buy them everyday and sit on them? Worst case I sell them to my brother for what I paid for them...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

The Habit
01-02-2013, 12:16
I sure hope the storm passes quickly. My local gun board has gone mad with profiteering. I don't begrudge anyone a chance to make a buck but $600 for a stripped lower is insane. The sad thing is someone will probably buy it.

holesinpaper
01-02-2013, 12:16
After a ban is enacted.

pizza_pablo
01-02-2013, 13:13
Imagine if there is another mass-shooting in the near future.

The more certain it is that anti-gun legislation will pass, the more panic buying will occur.
There nearly was...
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Two-wounded-in-theater-shooting-4122668.php
..except we didn't hear a peep, about it, nationally, because it was halted by good guy, with a gun. :steamed:

Razorsharp
01-02-2013, 13:34
* We are ending our armed conflicts around the world, so the demand for ammo to support the war efforts will abate.
Really?? You have more faith than I.