How can I use pulleys to pull a large branch out of the water [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How can I use pulleys to pull a large branch out of the water

bocaboca
01-01-2013, 12:28
Problem: I need to remove a tree branch which broke off last night and fell into my back yard canal. the main branch is approx. 30' long 12/14" diameter with lots of smaller branches coming off if it.........every branch has large leaves its a Fig leaf Ficus. It's about 25' into the canal, off a dirt bank. I can get a strap/rope around the largest part..(going to it in my canoe) what I cant do is get a vechicle back there to help pull it to the bank so I can get a chain saw on it. How can i hook up a pulley system, or block and tackle so a couple of us would have a better chance of pulling it to shore...there's just too much drag to pull it without some mechanical help.

no prob with the boaters............yet!

thanks

Jonesee
01-01-2013, 12:34
Use a come-a-long.
Anchor it and winch it out..

Adjuster
01-01-2013, 12:35
Can you contact whomever is responsible for maintaining the canal?

/

bocaboca
01-01-2013, 12:47

/

the tree is on my property......I'm assuming "I'M" responsible for blocking part of the canal. The branch that snapped off extended out (over the canal) horizontally from the main trunk.

Gallium
01-01-2013, 12:54
Simple. Burn it with fire.

cowboywannabe
01-01-2013, 12:54
let it sit a while and it becomes a great place to catch fish!

Adjuster
01-01-2013, 12:56
the tree is on my property......I'm assuming "I'M" responsible for blocking part of the canal. The branch that snapped off extended out (over the canal) horizontally from the main trunk.

I do not think you would be responsible for that branch. Especially if it broke clean from the tree. However if you do have a main trunk still on the bank to anchor then a come-a-long should work perfect for you. You can rent one or they are cheap from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=come+a+long

/

Caver 60
01-01-2013, 13:10
Don't know your situation. Is the canal public city or county property with an easement across your place???

If it's a public drainage canal; check with the city or governing authority tomorrow. They may come pull it out for free. After all, if it blocks the canal, that affects a lot of homes if the water overflows or backs up.

Things to check into. The appropriate agency would have the proper equipment to do the job. Good luck.

janice6
01-01-2013, 13:22
http://www.ehow.com/how_5098217_set-up-double-pulley-system.html

Search for single pulley systems and mechanical advantage.

Batesmotel
01-01-2013, 13:25
See who is responsible for the canal. Some canals here have covenant restrictions in their charters restricting who can enter or work on/in them. Even if it is your branch it may be their responsibility. Can't hurt to check first.

*ASH*
01-01-2013, 13:26
might not be your problem , or get a truck with long cable winch ,
and or get long rope and attach to winch . thats route id go

got any pics ? that might help with plan of attack ,lol

MrKandiyohi
01-01-2013, 13:38

/

That's who I would contact first. Since it was a natural occurrence, they may be responsible for its removal.

I live on a lake, and I had a tree fall into the lake. I assumed I was responsible for its removal, but I called the DNR to verify. I was told that since I didn't cut it down and cause it to fall into the lake, I didn't need to do anything with it. It has slowly broken down and has been used by a muskrat for its house and as a sunning place for painted and snapping turtles.

Kloogee
01-01-2013, 13:40
So we have a guy who wants to take responsibility for something his personal property has done to potentially impact other people... And there are people in this thread trying to talk him out of it and make it the government's responsibility?

OP we need more people like you in this country. Don't let these guys talk you out of doing the right thing.

Good luck with your project. I wish I had some useful advice to assist you.

Caver 60
01-01-2013, 13:45
A tree branch the size you are describing could easily weigh close to a thousand pounds or more. If you can get it removed by a public agency for free, that would definitely be the way to go IMO.

mj9mm
01-01-2013, 13:48
30 feet long, a foot in diameter, sounds pretty heavy, atleast until you can cut enough off as you pull it in. the first ten or so feet are going to offer quite a bit of resistance, probably need a big, blocked truck aways up the bank to keep from pulling yourself in. good luck with that

stolenphot0
01-01-2013, 13:49
I was going to say use the come-along anchored to the tree the branch fell from. Hang one of these from another overhead branch
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=PL+OB151&catID=

and go to town. Float out and cut it down in size some too

countrygun
01-01-2013, 13:50
So we have a guy who wants to take responsibility for something his personal property has done to potentially impact other people... And there are people in this thread trying to talk him out of it and make it the government's responsibility?

OP we need more people like you in this country. Don't let these guys talk you out of doing the right thing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This x100

Z71bill
01-01-2013, 13:53

I was thinking the same thing -

Can you at least get it so the branch is parallel to the bank - then cut it up into smaller chunks and haul it out.

tallen122
01-01-2013, 14:02
Might be too heavy for a come along make sure to check the weight it's rated for. maybe a large block and tackle as someone else said anchored to the tree. If you know any firefighters ask them to take a look at it. They might have an answer for you. You might find a block and tackle at your local tool rental place. Good luck, post how you got it out when you're done please.

gjk5
01-01-2013, 14:11

all I know is that out here in the West you could get fined for jacking with it. There are very tight rules on who can and cannot work on or around a canal. I would check first and if it is indeed my responsibility, I would certainly do it.

If it is your deal, then a comealong is the way to go.

Adjuster
01-01-2013, 14:43

Yeh good luck with this. A call to the right agency needs to be made no matter who ends up responsible for the limb removal. You can get fined a few thousand dollars for peeing in a canal around here. Not to mention the agency will have the right equipment most likely a small barge or other flat boat with crane to lift the limb from the canal. This is a very normal and common occurrence for Florida.

/

Resqu2
01-01-2013, 15:26
Even a 3-1 mechanical advantage system isn't gonna help with the weight your looking at there. Not sure a come-along will handle that? Large tree limbs are heaver that one might imagine but the water may help with that to though? Sounds like a fun project though.

BEER
01-01-2013, 16:08
do you have any sort of substantial branches or anchor point out over the limb or close to it? lifting straight up is usually easier than dragging the same object.

bocaboca
01-01-2013, 16:09
I'll take some b4, during and after pix tomorrow. Today was a day of rest.
Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

F14Scott
01-01-2013, 16:31
Clearly, the situation warrants the liberal application of termites, piranhas, and dynamite.

countrygun
01-01-2013, 16:39
^^^^^^^

a little Primacord and "no problem"'

Rleee
01-01-2013, 17:56
Boca,
Be careful with that limb. They are heavy and awkward. Something that size needs the right equipment. Maybe you could find someone with a powerboat that could tow it to a more suitable place. We need all the educated voters we can get in your part of the state.

Happy New Year and God Bless,

VC-Racing
01-01-2013, 18:21
Call the Marcel Ledbetter Moving Company they can handle anything that requires a block and tackle pulley ....

http://youtu.be/UHEK4u-27TI :wavey:

Z71bill
01-01-2013, 21:48
Put a 4-Sale sign on it - someone will steal it.