New HVAC Opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New HVAC Opinions?

Jack_Pine
01-01-2013, 12:33
Have to replace HVAC system in central Florida rental property (it will be our snowbird house in a few years)

They are a Carrier shop and trying to talk me into the Infinity system. I am not sure if it is worth the up charge from the Performance series. This will be for gas furnace and A/C. The house is a 2,200 sq/ft ranch.

Anybody have any experience with these system? I should get thier quotes tomorrow.

BTW, I also want a Thermostat I can access from the internet.....

heliguy
01-01-2013, 13:49
We looked at both and went with the performance 16 seer 4.5 ton. It was right at $6k. The infinity was > $1500 more and the features were more than we needed. Its a good unit and looks to have saved me $1000 in electric bills so far.

Jack_Pine
01-01-2013, 14:04
We looked at both and went with the performance 16 seer 4.5 ton. It was right at $6k. The infinity was > $1500 more and the features were more than we needed. Its a good unit and looks to have saved me $1000 in electric bills so far.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. Curious.....6k installed....?

What about the Infinity did you think was "not worth it"? I feel it is not as well, but am willing to spend the money if it makes sense.

thanks again.....

Cybercowboy
01-01-2013, 14:19
Whatever you get make sure it is at least 16 SEER and the furnace has a variable speed blower. Just replaced my HVAC system in our 2250 sq. ft. single story home last August. Cost was about $7800 including 16 SEER and 95% efficient gas furnace. Goodman brand which is quite nice and won't break the bank. Thermostat-wise check out the Nest.

Jack_Pine
01-01-2013, 14:28
Thanks, appreciate it.......

Cybercowboy
01-01-2013, 14:31
Our gas bill is down 35% compared to last Nov-Dec.

Jack_Pine
01-01-2013, 14:41
Our gas bill is down 35% compared to last Nov-Dec.

Looking forward to that...thanks.

GaGlock01
01-01-2013, 14:59
I work in heating and air, I do not like Carrier, Trane, or Lennox systems because when they break down (and they all break down), they require original equipment Manufacture parts (OEM), which leads to very expensive repairs.

example.. I needed a induced drat motor the other day for a customer, and that oem part set me back 498.32. My normal cost on that part averages out to about 120.00.

Carrier, Trane, or Lennox are very proud of their systems, and parts, and you are going to pay a boat load of money for their parts, which leads to expensive repairs.

I am a Rheem / Ruud dealer. They are easy to service, and they don't require oem parts when a repair is needed, which inturn leads to less expensive repairs. They are also one of the best systems on the market today, imo, they are the best.

Lots of wifi thermostats out there, and they range in price.

I just became a Nest certified installer, and they are simple to install and use.

Jack_Pine
01-01-2013, 15:00
I work in heating and air, I do not like Carrier, Trane, or Lennox systems because when they break down (and they all break down), they require original equipment manufacturer parts (OEM), which leads to expensive repairs.

example.. I needed a induced drat motor the other day for a customer, and that oem part set me back 498.32. My normal cost on that part averages out to about 120.00.

Carrier, Trane, or Lennox are very proud of their systems, and parts, and you are going to pay a boat load of money for their parts.

I am a Rheem / Ruud dealer. They are easy to service, and they don't require oem parts when a repair is needed, which inturn leads to less expensive repairs.

I just became a Nest certified installer, and they are simple to install and use.

Thanks, food for thought. I will try to get another quote from another dealer....

ryanm
01-01-2013, 15:04
I love my Nest thermostat. His name is Bob.

GaGlock01
01-01-2013, 15:08
You can also go on HVAC-TALK and get other pros opinions if you want. here is a link.

http://hvac-talk.com

GaGlock01
01-01-2013, 15:09
Thanks, food for thought. I will try to get another quote from another dealer....

Someone has to pay for all that advertising

The Fed
01-01-2013, 15:12
Correct me if I'm wrong those of you who are installers. I was told I cannot go past a 13 SEER because my ductwork won't support it. The tech that told me this is a top tech. The house is only 10 years old. Not that this is a big issue - my bills for my 1,400 sq. ft. house with a 10 SEER unit are very reasonable.

Also, I would not buy a unit unless it had a low-pressure switch. I twice had a leak in my system and the compressor burned up. Everything was covered under warranty but it was an inconvenience.

houseflipper
01-01-2013, 15:13
You will be happy with a standard 16 SEER system.The Infinity system is going to be very expensive to repair.You can use 16 SEER the ductwork will be fine.

GaGlock01
01-01-2013, 15:20
Correct me if I'm wrong those of you who are installers. I was told I cannot go past a 13 SEER because my ductwork won't support it. The tech that told me this is a top tech. The house is only 10 years old. Not that this is a big issue - my bills for my 1,400 sq. ft. house with a 10 SEER unit are very reasonable.

Also, I would not buy a unit unless it had a low-pressure switch. I twice had a leak in my system and the compressor burned up. Everything was covered under warranty but it was an inconvenience.

"The tech that told me this is a top tech.", By who's standards?

Seer is: Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, and has nothing to do with air flow, only tons do.

Not all systems come with high pressure, or low pressure switches, which is good to have on your system, it does protect the compressor.

You have three types of systems: builder grade, premium, and Ultra.

All my bids are for premium units, I don't ever install builder grade.

Go here and find out more if you want. http://hvac-talk.com

LEO/Dad
01-01-2013, 15:46
I work in heating and air, I do not like Carrier, Trane, or Lennox systems because when they break down (and they all break down), they require original equipment Manufacture parts (OEM), which leads to very expensive repairs.

Carrier, Trane, or Lennox are very proud of their systems, and parts, and you are going to pay a boat load of money for their parts, which leads to expensive repairs.

I am a Rheem / Ruud dealer. They are easy to service, and they don't require oem parts when a repair is needed, which inturn leads to less expensive repairs. They are also one of the best systems on the market today, imo, they are the best.

Fasco is making MANY draft inducers available to wholesale distributors for a lot less money. They make many of the oem.I sold these to hvac contractors.

GaGlock01
01-01-2013, 16:05
Fasco is making MANY draft inducers available to wholesale distributors for a lot less money. They make many of the oem.I sold these to hvac contractors.

Trust me, before I spend that much money I look at all options.

Lots of things go in to considering after market parts.

Amps, mount, speed, etc, if it's not the same as the oem it wont last and you will be back to replace it, which will lead to more money than one oem repair.

This was a trane unit, and in this case, the mount, and motor speed did not match up in any after market.

My company does commercial and residential, and in commercial work, (more than residential), it's always better to go back with oem.

That was a 5 ton trane residential unit.

LEO/Dad
01-01-2013, 17:10
delete..........