Ultrasonic Cleaners, Good for Glocks? or Not.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic Cleaners, Good for Glocks? or Not..

Boot Stomper
01-01-2013, 14:47
I saw this video on You Tube and the poster states near the end of his video that he used his Ultrasonic Cleaner on his Glock. My first thought was it was not necesary, but I want to know what the Glock Talk consensus would be on using a Ultrasonic Cleaner. What about an AR-15 bolt and carrier?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=1MA11_e1G1c

dango
01-01-2013, 16:42
That would be a bit over kill but , don't think it would harm anything ? What you gonna do , eat it ? :supergrin:

Just kidding ! I got one sentimental 1911 , stainless and what I do is dunk it in kerosene and blow dry field stripped pieces.
BLOW-DRY: 120 PSI blow tip , compressor , wipe all pieces , oil and reassemble !

This pistol has much history so kerosene (not gasoline) works for me !

Have a great new year !...................:wavey:

ede
01-01-2013, 17:23
ultrasonic cleaners work great for everything near as i can tell, except electronics. i use simple green in mine, near full strength. I've cleaned rifle bolts, glocks, 1911s, S&W revolvers, ruger MkIIIs and I'm sure a few things I've forgot. Mine came from Harbor Freight and cost around 75$

davsco
01-01-2013, 17:26
i probably wouldn't put the frame in, but all the parts, slide, etc should be fine. ditto with AR bolt, etc.

Gallium
01-01-2013, 17:32
I've put my upper in one for the full ride, my lower in it for about a minute.
It was the cleanest my Glock ever got, except for that one time when I had the nude housecleaning service send two females from Russia over. They cleaned everything and cleaned me out.

KalashniKEV
01-01-2013, 18:01
I just did the Bolt of an M1969 .22 and the results were DRAMATIC.

I intend to use it on the Type III anodized aluminum baffles of my suppressor too, which is supposed to be a big no-no, but we'll see how it holds up over time...

EdTracker
01-01-2013, 18:42
Monolithic peices will clean up nicely with ultrasonic cleaners.

You should use caution on assemblies that have components that touch. In the ultrasonic bath the components will "bang/rub/vibrate" against each other thousands of times a second. This can/will induce wear and damage to the components that are touching.

Take everything apart, and put the individual components in the bath. You will be fine on metal parts. I have no experience with polymers.

DWARREN123
01-01-2013, 19:13
I have taken my Glocks apart after many thousands of rounds and found it was not needed. Mine did not get dirty.
Answer looking for a question.

crni4
01-01-2013, 19:20
As the guy above said. Never found a need for ultra clean glock. My vote is to use that $75 and buy a used 15 round mag. ;)

Boot Stomper
01-08-2013, 13:51
I've put my upper in one for the full ride, my lower in it for about a minute.
It was the cleanest my Glock ever got, except for that one time when I had the nude housecleaning service send two females from Russia over. They cleaned everything and cleaned me out.

Phone number for the cleaning service PLEASE!!!!!!1

Boot Stomper
01-08-2013, 13:53
As the guy above said. Never found a need for ultra clean glock. My vote is to use that $75 and buy a used 15 round mag. ;)

Good luck finding a used mag right now. May want to wait awhile until the craziness subsides. Thanks for comment.