Hyundai Sonata Turbo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hyundai Sonata Turbo?

DennisP
01-01-2013, 16:52
I am still trying to figure out what type a car I am going to get to replace my SUV. I am currently thinking about the Camaro SS or a more practical choice of a Hyundai Sonata Turbo. With the turbo engine I would get 275 horses and it's a comfortable sedan that should be easy to live with it. I now the two cars are apples and oranges but they are the two that have really caught my attention. I appreciated all the response about the Camaro SS but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Turbo Sonata?

Thanks
Dennis P.

JDennis
01-01-2013, 17:02
The Sonata is a ok car. Hyundai has come leaps and bounds over the past 5 years. My opinion is that the Hyundai's are a bit over priced now since the Koreans are trying to market them as their upscale luxury line compared to Kia. For the price range of the sonata, check out a Maxima (290 hp) or a slightly used Infiniti g-37 sedan (over 300hp) They will have better resale down the road and a more fun factor for a true sports sedan.

klt1986
01-01-2013, 17:03
Got a friend with a non-turbo 2011 Sonata that he's going to trade in. It has had several electrical or electronics issues that have left them stranded. The only thing the dealer has been able to diagnose was a dead cell in the battery. It does not throw a CE code and the dealer can't duplicate the problem in the shop.

DennisP
01-11-2013, 19:08
Well I finally got around to test driving the Turbo version. I have to say it was nice but sneaky with how quick it picks up speed. Its not a throw you back in the seat type ride, but when you go to pass a car it shows how fast it really is. Also unless you look at the speedometer it is very hard to judge the speed. I am pretty sure this will be the next car in my garage. I am hoping to find a low mileage CPO if I can (avoid the steep depreciation). Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks
Dennis P.

DanaT
01-11-2013, 19:19
Audi. Drive an Audi.

Wednesday I got a new Audi A3 (ok, it's just an assigned car). Replaced a BMW 120d.

115-125mlh cruising is awesome. Nice feeling car. I would say it feels 95% Porsche for 25% Porsche price.

For not much more money, you are getting a lot more car than Hyundai. I would take an A3 9 days a week over a sonata.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

JDennis
01-11-2013, 19:25
If you want to avoid steep depreciation look at the import big 3, honda, nissan, toyota, or even subaru. German cars take a big hit, as do the domestic cars (ford being the least of the three)

DanaT
01-11-2013, 19:30
99.9% of cars go to almost zero value. Unless you are buying instant classics (hint lots of money) it is an item that depreciates and it's worthless later. Buy what you like.

I will explain to you.

There are people that buy expensive cars and don't drive them so they hold their value better. However this additional value is only realized when its sold. So buying a Ferrari and not driving it is like marrying a super model and not having sex with her so her second husband has a virgin. You really want the excitement for the NEXT owner?

Buy what makes you happy and you can afford. Don't worry about resale.

10mm Sonny
01-11-2013, 19:33
Friends don't let friends drive Hyundai's.

HollowHead
01-11-2013, 19:45
Friends don't let friends drive Hyundai's.

Why is that? We are on our third and collectively will hit
600K miles this return trip from New England. There was that window regulator on our Elantra that went bad in '09 though...so you may have a point. HH

g29andy
01-11-2013, 20:11
So buying a Ferrari and not driving it is like marrying a super model and not having sex with her so her second husband has a virgin. You really want the excitement for the NEXT owner?

Buy what makes you happy and you can afford. Don't worry about resale.

sig line material right there

DennisP
01-12-2013, 06:58
Audi. Drive an Audi.

Wednesday I got a new Audi A3 (ok, it's just an assigned car). Replaced a BMW 120d.

115-125mlh cruising is awesome. Nice feeling car. I would say it feels 95% Porsche for 25% Porsche price.

For not much more money, you are getting a lot more car than Hyundai. I would take an A3 9 days a week over a sonata.

I am not a big fan of the A3, just doesn't call my name. As for deppreciation and resale, I agree that they all will lose most all their value in terms of resale, I just don't want to be the guy that takes that first big hit. If things go well I plan to keep this next car ten years or so, there for resale valus should be a non issue.

Dennis P.

iontrap
01-12-2013, 07:51
Itīs kind of odd looking but the Honda Crosstour, basically an Accord hatchback, you can get i4 or v6, 2as or awd.

DennisP
01-12-2013, 10:41
Itīs kind of odd looking but the Honda Crosstour, basically an Accord hatchback, you can get i4 or v6, 2as or awd.

That's an idea but I am really digging the Sonata.

Dennis P.

Riverkilt
01-12-2013, 10:53
Remembering the old Click and Clack joke.

Guy walks into an auto parts store and says, "Do you have a gas cap for a Hyundai?" Clerk says, "Sounds like a fair trade."

M&P15T
01-12-2013, 10:59
In your position, I think your path is pretty clear.

Just look around the net for exactly what you want, and make sure there is plenty of warranty left in case something goes wrong.

Then purchase the factory extended warranty if you plan to keep it.

RenoF250
01-12-2013, 12:10
That's an idea but I am really digging the Sonata.

Dennis P.

The Crosstour is very expensive for what it is and gets terrible mileage.

Maximas are expensive and worse mileage.

Sonata is better than an Audi A3 in every measurable way.

I have a 2011 turbo I have put 40k on and love it. Had a friend by the non-turbo and he likes his as well. He had some kind of a fuel problem with his that was fixed without problem. The only problem mine had had was the drivers heated seat.

There were 5 recalls which they did when they fixed the seat. Nothing serious, not bad considering it is the first model year and all new. When they did the recall they gave me a rental for free and then gave me some gift cards.

I have tons of compliments on the car and a few stupid "it's a Hyundai" type comments.

I have no complaints so far which is saying a lot if you know me. I am very picky. My biggest nitpick is you have to use the Hyundai oil plug washer or it will drip.

On the positive, the key-less works great, it know where the key is inside or outside the car. Push-button start is the only way to go. I will not buy another car that needs a key. Radio/bluetooth work great. Controls are well laid out and feel quality. 2 cigarette plugs to charge your stuff. Plays music from USB or iPod 10/100 warranty etc etc. I think you will really like it.

DanaT
01-12-2013, 12:20
T

Drive one at 125mph and tell me there is no difference. The steering feedback on the A3 is simply amazing; you cannot tell it is FWD from steering feel (and I like RWD cars..i have NEVER owned a FWD car). The suspension is not to soft, not too much compression damping. Sit in the seats and feel them.

And the A3 hands down beats it for looks.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/A3_zps61f8551f.jpg

For the money, the A3 is one hell of a car.

DanaT
01-12-2013, 12:23
On the positive, the key-less works great, it know where the key is inside or outside the car.

My wifes Murano has this.

Absolutely the WORST feature I have ever ever had in a car. She always has the keys in her purse. Unless they are somewhere else. When we take her car, she often doesnt know where in her purse the keys are so, she just grabs her purse . Or maybe they are in the coat pocket. Who knows. But I am driving without being in control of the keys.

I HATE HATE HATE that "feature".

cesaros
01-12-2013, 12:24
I own a Kia (Hyundai and Kia are the same company) and their quality is great.

I have keyless entry/start and its a great feature.

I believe my dad bought the Hyundai Sonata, and loves it. 80k Miles, and it still runs like new.

fastbolt
01-12-2013, 12:27
I was looking to replace our secondary sedan a couple years ago. My wife's Highlander Limited was our regular vehicle, and I only used the sedan for trips to the range, cigar clubs, Movies, solo errands, etc.

I decided that being retired, I wanted something that was a bit more fun than my old transportation sedan (Saturn Twin Cam).

I bought a Sonata Limited Turbo after looking at Subaru (Legacy GT), Toyota (Camry, Avalon & Venza), Honda (Accord V6 & Crosstour), Nissan (Altima & Maxima), Audi (A4, A3), BMW (3-series), Buick (Regal GT), VW (CC), Acura (TL & TSX), Infiniti (G), Ford (Mustang, Taurus & Fusion) and some others. Hyundai wasn't among my first choices.

I had a short list of features I really wanted.

Comfortable seats that didn't hurt my back while getting in & out of the car. Leather. Heated. Fully adjustable driver. (The Sonata Limited has heated leather rear seats - meaning actual seating surface, not the upright/back panel)

Good stereo w/CD player & satellite.

5-6 speed automatic (the trans can be shifted to the paddle shifters on the wheel in the Sonata, BTW, which I seldom have reason to use).

Enough power to be fun, but decent gas mileage.

I quickly realized that I could end up spending more than $40K for a car that was only going to be a secondary "runaround" car. I didn't see the need.

I came close to the Subaru Legacy GT, Nissan Altima & Maxima, Buick Regal Turbo & Honda Accord V6 because they were affordable and had the desired features.

Then I spoke with a cigar distributor I knew who had been driving an older Sonata company car for more than 275K miles, and was planning to buy a Genesis or Equus for his wife.

So, out of curiosity, I drove a Genesis and Sonata Limited 2.0T. The Genesis coupe looked interesting ... until I tried to get in & out of it.

The Genesis sedan was more "plush" than I wanted for an occasional runaround car ... and the Sonata Limited 2.0T was fun. It had everything I'd wanted, and then some.

The Sonata cost a little over $25K. Okay, that made it easily $5K - $10+K less than other cars, and it was fun, comfortable, with a nice upgraded sound system and plenty of zip ... and I reminded myself I was only looking for a secondary runaround car for myself.

The 10yr/100K standard powertrain warranty - which covers the new 2.0L Turbo - was better than anything else for a standard warranty. (I'd always had to pay for extended warranties with other brands, and didn't see why other companies weren't offering longer warranties nowadays.)

The 5-Year/60,000-Mile new vehicle limited warranty looked pretty good, too.

I opted for the paid service plan instead of the extended limited warranty (I figured 5yr/60K was good enough, since I'd probably get bored and get something else by then, anyway).

I opted for the prepaid service, though, as it offered significant savings and has been handy on other vehicles I've owned.

I'm coming up on 18K miles and I've been very pleased with it.

On the freeway the gas mileage display states I get 32-36mpg at freeway cruising speeds. If I keep my foot out of it I can get 23-24mpg around town (but I seldom drive in constant stop 'n go traffic anymore).

The AC & Heat/Defrost are great.

Yeah, the optional upgraded sound system is OK, but I wouldn't have minded the even higher grade available in the Genesis.

The seats could have better adjustment for thigh support.

Big trunk for a small car.

Nicely positioned controls.

Fun car.

In retrospect, if they'd had the 5.0L R-Spec V8 available in '11, and I didn't mind spending over $40K for a secondary car, or getting less gas mileage, I'd have gone with a fancy Genesis blacked-out sedan. ;)

Lots of other fun sedans out there, though. I'd have been pleased with some of the others. I just felt at the time that the Sonata was a bargain for the price, quality & features ... and I was thinking about spending the money saved on a second motorcycle at some point. ;)

DennisP
01-12-2013, 12:28
Drive one at 125mph and tell me there is no difference. The steering feedback on the A3 is simply amazing; you cannot tell it is FWD from steering feel (and I like RWD cars..i have NEVER owned a FWD car). The suspension is not to soft, not too much compression damping. Sit in the seats and feel them.

Hate to tell you this but the A3 doesn't do anything for me (it is better then the TT but really what isn't?) at all.

Dennis P.

czsmithGT
01-12-2013, 12:28

Absolutely the WORST feature I have ever ever had in a car. She always has the keys in her purse. Unless they are somewhere else. When we take her car, she often doesnt know where in her purse the keys are so, she just grabs her purse . Or maybe they are in the coat pocket. Who knows. But I am driving without being in control of the keys.

Did you ever consider that your wife being a moron doesn't negate the utility of this feature for the 99% of drivers who are non-morons?

RenoF250
01-12-2013, 12:29

I thought you were an engineer type. How could you have such an emotional opinion? Your reason is "control". I am a control freak and it does not bother me at all. I love that I do not have the dig the key out or deal with it at all. Why do you need to control the keys?

DennisP
01-12-2013, 12:34
I was looking to replace our secondary sedan a couple years ago. My wife's Highlander Limited was our regular vehicle, and I only used the sedan for trips to the range, cigar clubs, Movies, solo errands, etc.

I decided that being retired, I wanted something that was a bit more fun than my old transportation sedan (Saturn Twin Cam).

I bought a Sonata Limited Turbo after looking at Subaru (Legacy GT), Toyota (Camry, Avalon & Venza), Honda (Accord V6 & Crosstour), Nissan (Altima & Maxima), Audi (A4, A3), BMW (3-series), Buick (Regal GT), VW (CC), Acura (TL & TSX), Infiniti (G), Ford (Mustang, Taurus & Fusion) and some others. Hyundai wasn't among my first choices.

I had a short list of features I really wanted.

Comfortable seats that didn't hurt my back while getting in & out of the car. Leather. Heated. Fully adjustable driver. (The Sonata Limited has heated leather rear seats - meaning actual seating surface, not the upright/back panel)

Good stereo w/CD player & satellite.

5-6 speed automatic (the trans can be shifted to the paddle shifters on the wheel in the Sonata, BTW, which I seldom have reason to use).

Enough power to be fun, but decent gas mileage.

I quickly realized that I could end up spending more than $40K for a car that was only going to be a secondary "runaround" car. I didn't see the need.

I came close to the Subaru Legacy GT, Nissan Altima & Maxima, Buick Regal Turbo & Honda Accord V6 because they were affordable and had the desired features.

Then I spoke with a cigar distributor I knew who had been driving an older Sonata company car for more than 275K miles, and was planning to buy a Genesis or Equus for his wife.

So, out of curiosity, I drove a Genesis and Sonata Limited 2.0T. The Genesis coupe looked interesting ... until I tried to get in & out of it.

The Genesis sedan was more "plush" than I wanted for an occasional runaround car ... and the Sonata Limited 2.0T was fun. It had everything I'd wanted, and then some.

The Sonata cost a little over $25K. Okay, that made it easily $5K - $10+K less than other cars, and it was fun, comfortable, with a nice upgraded sound system and plenty of zip ... and I reminded myself I was only looking for a secondary runaround car for myself.

The 10yr/100K standard powertrain warranty - which covers the new 2.0L Turbo - was better than anything else for a standard warranty. (I'd always had to pay for extended warranties with other brands, and didn't see why other companies weren't offering longer warranties nowadays.)

The 5-Year/60,000-Mile new vehicle limited warranty looked pretty good, too.

I opted for the paid service plan instead of the extended limited warranty (I figured 5yr/60K was good enough, since I'd probably get bored and get something else by then, anyway).

I opted for the prepaid service, though, as it offered significant savings and has been handy on other vehicles I've owned.

I'm coming up on 18K miles and I've been very pleased with it.

On the freeway the gas mileage display states I get 32-36mpg at freeway cruising speeds. If I keep my foot out of it I can get 23-24mpg around town (but I seldom drive in constant stop 'n go traffic anymore).

The AC & Heat/Defrost are great.

Yeah, the optional upgraded sound system is OK, but I wouldn't have minded the even higher grade available in the Genesis.

The seats could have better adjustment for thigh support.

Big trunk for a small car.

Nicely positioned controls.

Fun car.

In retrospect, if they'd had the 5.0L R-Spec V8 available in '11, and I didn't mind spending over $40K for a secondary car, or getting less gas mileage, I'd have gone with a fancy Genesis blacked-out sedan. ;)

Lots of other fun sedans out there, though. I'd have been pleased with some of the others. I just felt at the time that the Sonata was a bargain for the price, quality & features ... and I was thinking about spending the money saved on a second motorcycle at some point. ;)

Sounds a lot like my car search. The Sonata Turbo really just hits all the boxes that I am looking for. Size, comfort, fun to drive, safe, not to expensive, reliable.

Dennis P.

RenoF250
01-12-2013, 12:36

I cannot argue about handling at 125 as I have only had mine up to 115 and the road was not great. Difficult to go that fast here in the US so it does not seem to be a valuable measurement. I think the Sonata drives/handles very well. I like how it looks better than the A3 and it is bigger than the A3.

I had a Jetta TDI and I am not likely to buy another VW. They are 98% designed by geniuses and 2% designed by blithering idiots. That 2% will drive you up a wall.

The Jetta drove fine (I understand it is not an A3 but same company) but it did not way out handle anything else. The only notable difference was over-steer vs. under-steer. As far as I am concerned that is just a preference on how you want to crash.

DanaT
01-12-2013, 12:48
Did you ever consider that your wife being a moron doesn't negate the utility of this feature for the 99% of drivers who are non-morons?

I like a key in an ignition.

DanaT
01-12-2013, 12:54
I cannot argue about handling at 125 as I have only had mine up to 115 and the road was not great. Difficult to go that fast here in the US so it does not seem to be a valuable measurement. I think the Sonata drives/handles very well. I like how it looks better than the A3 and it is bigger than the A3.

I had a Jetta TDI and I am not likely to buy another VW. They are 98% designed by geniuses and 2% designed by blithering idiots. That 2% will drive you up a wall.

The Jetta drove fine (I understand it is not an A3 but same company) but it did not way out handle anything else. The only notable difference was over-steer vs. under-steer. As far as I am concerned that is just a preference on how you want to crash.

I have not driven a Sonata Turbo. But, what I can say is every Korean car I have driven has too much compression damping for the spring rates. It makes an overly harsh ride, without benefits of stiff suspension. They cannot seem to get the suspension dialed in really well. This is turn-in, steering feedback, harshness, etc.

What high speed driving tells you, is how well the chassis /suspension is sorted out. Do you get front end lift at speed?

As far as control, I want to to be in control of my car not the other way around. Of course a very good stability management system can save your ass (or make you drive like more of an ass).

RenoF250
01-12-2013, 13:03
I have not driven a Sonata Turbo. But, what I can say is every Korean car I have driven has too much compression damping for the spring rates. It makes an overly harsh ride, without benefits of stiff suspension. They cannot seem to get the suspension dialed in really well. This is turn-in, steering feedback, harshness, etc.

What high speed driving tells you, is how well the chassis /suspension is sorted out. Do you get front end lift at speed?

As far as control, I want to to be in control of my car not the other way around. Of course a very good stability management system can save your ass (or make you drive like more of an ass).

Like I say I think it drives/handles well. The A3 could be slightly better it is hard to say without being able to go from one to the other and impossible when neither of us has driven both. I think the Sonata does have bit more compression dampening than it should but the ride is not harsh and it does not wallow in the corners. That is of course all relative. The only car that has stood out to be noticeably better to me is a MB E5xx. That was like butter but also ~3X the price.

Don't really remember on lift, it was not long and the road was not very good so I was focusing on other things.

Not sure why you feel out of control with the key. If you do not have it it will not start. It will not let you lock the key in the car and yells at you if you try to put it in the trunk. I have had 0 issues with dealing with the button and getting it to do what I want.

Zonny
01-12-2013, 13:08

Wouldn't that be he same situation if you were dealing with a 'true key'?

I love the keyless feature. Takes some getting used to but well worth it.

elsolo
01-12-2013, 14:12

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/A3_zps61f8551f.jpg.

It looks nice as a two door, too bad they won't sell that model in North America. The four door is fugly.

Why can't we get all the two door models in America?
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Audi/th1/2013-Audi-A3-Sportback-1.jpg

DanaT
01-12-2013, 14:18
No. It is not the same with a key. If I am not in physical control of it, it doesn't go into the keyhole (wow..that is a word not often used). With the remote key thingy it just has to be somewhere in the car and push the button.

I hate that.

DanaT
01-12-2013, 14:19
It looks nice as a two door, too bad they won't sell that model in North America. The four door is fugly.

Why can't we get all the two door models in America?
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Audi/th1/2013-Audi-A3-Sportback-1.jpg

Probably not enough sold to justify crash tests. It's our DOT laws.

Zonny
01-12-2013, 14:25
No. It is not the same with a key. If I am not in physical control of it, it doesn't go into the keyhole (wow..that is a word not often used). With the remote key thingy it just has to be somewhere in the car and push the button.

I hate that.

The car must have come with a spare. Put in your pocket then you're 'in control'.

Gregg702
01-12-2013, 14:30
Look at the KIA Optima SX or SX-L. Same drivetrain as the Sonata Turbo, but more cool tech toys, and better lookin IMO. Also, the A3 that Dana has is a new model that isn't available in the US, we will be getting the A3 sedan, eventually.

Bruce M
01-12-2013, 15:21
http://pitstopusa.com/images/F14589792.jpg

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~tuff/images/MasterPanel.jpg

RenoF250
01-12-2013, 16:17
Look at the KIA Optima SX or SX-L. Same drivetrain as the Sonata Turbo, but more cool tech toys, and better lookin IMO. Also, the A3 that Dana has is a new model that isn't available in the US, we will be getting the A3 sedan, eventually.

What tech toys are you talking about?

The Optima looks good but I prefer the Sonata. I think the Optima has a younger look than the Sonata and I am getting to be an old fart.

Gregg702
01-12-2013, 16:26
What tech toys are you talking about?

The Optima looks good but I prefer the Sonata. I think the Optima has a younger look than the Sonata and I am getting to be an old fart.

The ventilated seats, electronic parking brake, and the panaramic roof.

SixDemonBag
01-12-2013, 16:57
Not to threadjack, but since this is relevant to me; what are A3's leasing for typically these days?

iontrap
01-12-2013, 17:00
The Crosstour is very expensive for what it is and gets terrible mileage.

Maximas are expensive and worse mileage.

I have a 2011 turbo I have put 40k on and love it. Had a friend by the non-turbo and he likes his as well. He had some kind of a fuel problem with his that was fixed without problem. The only problem mine had had was the drivers heated seat.

There were 5 recalls which they did when they fixed the seat. Nothing serious, not bad considering it is the first model year and all new. When they did the recall they gave me a rental for free and then gave me some gift cards.

I have tons of compliments on the car and a few stupid "it's a Hyundai" type comments.

I have no complaints so far which is saying a lot if you know me. I am very picky. My biggest nitpick is you have to use the Hyundai oil plug washer or it will drip.

On the positive, the key-less works great, it know where the key is inside or outside the car. Push-button start is the only way to go. I will not buy another car that needs a key. Radio/bluetooth work great. Controls are well laid out and feel quality. 2 cigarette plugs to charge your stuff. Plays music from USB or iPod 10/100 warranty etc etc. I think you will really like it.

I just bought a 2012 EX-L Nav 2wd i4 and I'm averaging 30mpg combined.

RenoF250
01-12-2013, 17:24
I just bought a 2012 EX-L Nav 2wd i4 and I'm averaging 30mpg combined.

Hmm, I guess most I was seeing around here are V6 AWD.

RenoF250
01-12-2013, 17:27
The ventilated seats, electronic parking brake, and the panaramic roof.

I did not realize they had those. I would only want the vented seats, the other two is just junk to break. The roof would be cool but too much sun here for it, I have to close the sunroof much of the time and I almost never use the parking brake.