new boots needed at REI [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new boots needed at REI

*ASH*
01-01-2013, 19:25
OK , bought some KEEN hiker boots from REI bout 6 months ago , today i notice the seem on outside right foot is separating from the sole . so im returning them .

REI has lifetime warranty and if not satisfied for any reason return for money back or exchange for new ones .

anyone have any boots from REI and held up ???

we are hard on boots. as we camp and hike alot .

looking at these at the moment

http://www.rei.com/product/805528/la-sportiva-fc-eco-30-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

jeager
01-01-2013, 19:40
Silicon based treatments disslove glue
*just sayin*

rgregoryb
01-01-2013, 19:49
Asolo or Vasque

gjk5
01-01-2013, 19:52
Asolo or Vasque

good choices for something they will have in stock.

I am actually a little surprised, those Keens get great reviews and I know a lot of folks that have them.

For a similar lightweight hiker, see if they have the Merrell Moab's. Not a real "hiking" boot (but neither is the Keen), but a lot of folks like them.

GlocknSmith
01-01-2013, 19:55
Go for vasque. Awesome

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

tarpleyg
01-01-2013, 19:58
Another vote for Asolo or Vasque. I have a pair of Asolos and my buddy has some Vasques. Built tough.

Durden
01-01-2013, 20:06
I honestly have noticed that many former boot brands are now producing far worse quality products in the last 2 years.

I realize this had been the trend for a while, but I have gotten the impression that it's accelerated at a faster rate in the last two years than during any other period of time that I've noticed.

As just an example of two boot brands that I can no longer trust by name alone to hold up for the long haul are Wolverine and Red Wings.

Both of these were formerly pretty good (Wolverine had been going down hill faster than Red Wing, though).

Now, even Red Wing has really bad quality with some of their offerings.

It's very sad to see so much brand equity and goodwill get sacrificed in the "new normal" economy.

gjk5
01-01-2013, 20:17
Asolo and Vasque are great boots but will fit and wear drastically differently than the Keens. Just a different type of boot.

*ASH*
01-01-2013, 20:33
yeah i was shocked today when my right shoe kinda rolled up on me , i looked down WTF LOL . i loved them up until then , had great reviews , and wore nice .

i was about to gorilla glue it when my wife said "wait you bought them at REI . just return them . luckily REI is only bout 25 miles from me

rgregoryb
01-01-2013, 21:01
My Asolo's lasted about 6 years of off and on heavy use backpacking.

http://www.asolo.com/_files/image.php/prod_1232618347.jpg?resize(320x400)

TPS 520 GV

this is the newer version of what I had

Durden
01-01-2013, 21:12
By the way, as a ps to my earlier comment, a lot of the "high end" boot companies that didn't have Chinese made boots now do.

I'm NOT making a moral judgment on this, but a factual one. I have seen Chinese made Red Wing boots (NOT the Worx line, but the regular Red Wing line) for the first time ever.

There's no reason not to just treat all work boots as disposable garbage now, and buy the least expensive ones, since you'd be a fool to pay more for durability that's an illusion.

bambikilr
01-01-2013, 21:55
Danner boots offer the most support & comfort out of the box..IMO

*ASH*
01-01-2013, 21:59
By the way, as a ps to my earlier comment, a lot of the "high end" boot companies that didn't have Chinese made boots now do.

I'm making a moral judgment on this, but a factual one. I have seen Chinese made Red Wing boots (NOT the Worx line, but the regular Red Wing line) for the first time ever.

There's no reason not to just treat all work boots as disposable garbage now, and buy the least expensive ones, since you'd be a fool to pay more for durability that's an illusion.

yeah it sucks , quality has gone out the window .

Stephenthesuave
01-01-2013, 22:02

TPS 520 GV

I had the same experience with keen about 7 years ago. Never again.

I wore the TPS 520 GV in Afghanistan for 10 months and probably put north of 300 miles on them. They are for real. There are some "lugs" on the bottom that are for traction, and mine are about worn off. So off to Asolo they will go once the weather gets warm and I don't need them anymore.

I live in Alaska and have worn them on some hunting trips and they're great. One of the few premium boots I've found that have wide sizes as well.

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 22:05

I agree, but only the USA made ones. I'm not a fan of glued soles.

The Danner imports are a good name stamped on chinese products.

muscles
01-01-2013, 22:10
i have had the asolo power matic 200 gv goretex boots for a couple of years. they are a bit pricey at $300, but are worth it.

here is a link: http://www.rei.com/product/733624/asolo-power-matic-200-gv-gore-tex-hiking-boots-mens

*ASH*
01-01-2013, 22:18
i have had the asolo power matic 200 gv goretex boots for a couple of years. they are a bit pricey at $300, but are worth it.

here is a link: http://www.rei.com/product/733624/asolo-power-matic-200-gv-gore-tex-hiking-boots-mens

cool thanks

gjk5
01-01-2013, 22:27

I'm making a moral judgment on this, but a factual one. I have seen Chinese made Red Wing boots (NOT the Worx line, but the regular Red Wing line) for the first time ever.

true for the most part.

If you want to drop some coin and own some KILLER boots:

http://www.lathropandsons.com/mountain-light-gtx-hanwag-boots.html

Best boots I've ever owned.

Nest
01-02-2013, 00:13
Oboz are worth looking at. Made by the guys who used to work and design for Montrail back when Montrails were awesome. So these guys know hiking shoes and boots.

I work for a store on the Appalachian trail, and have seen multiple pair of Oboz trail runners go over a thousand miles. That is very rare on the AT. Most people get 500-600 miles because of the abuse and every day use they get. So I would check them out.

omega48038
01-02-2013, 05:29
I've always liked Vasque, but can only comment on the Italian made ones. I still have an old pair of sundowners that I'm babying, they're irreplaceable.

I tried a pair of Lowa and love them, they're like bomb-proof slippers.

Spiffums
01-02-2013, 06:16
My grandfather bought a pair of boots with a lifetime guaranteeing once.......he never bought another pair of boots.

Rinspeed
01-02-2013, 10:20
I have three pairs of Asolo's and they have been great.

Mayhem like Me
01-02-2013, 11:16
I had the same experience with keen about 7 years ago. Never again.

I wore the TPS 520 GV in Afghanistan for 10 months and probably put north of 300 miles on them. They are for real. There are some "lugs" on the bottom that are for traction, and mine are about worn off. So off to Asolo they will go once the weather gets warm and I don't need them anymore.

I live in Alaska and have worn them on some hunting trips and they're great. One of the few premium boots I've found that have wide sizes as well.

Yup wore my Asolo's in the ice the other day, everyone was sliding and slipping except or me you can feel them bite in... Great boots. Model Fugitive Gtx

Stephenthesuave
01-02-2013, 12:30
Yup wore my Asolo's in the ice the other day, everyone was sliding and slipping except or me you can feel them bite in... Great boots. Model Fugitive Gtx

I have a pair of fugitives that are great, too. Not quite as comfortable as the 520s for me, but they're tough for sure.

DragonRider
01-02-2013, 13:26
4 Years here on my Asolo 520's wear between 3-7 days a week, resold twice. I would also go with Vasque, both fit my feet well. REI will do you right, used to work at the Baileys Store....

*ASH*
01-02-2013, 21:10
bought 2 pair lol , one vasque and one asolo , could not decide , got one on clearance . so im happy .

i noticed on the vasque box it has sticker saying division of redwing company

Durden
01-02-2013, 21:29
Per my prior remarks in this thread, I wanted to ask the true experts here a few questions.

What are the main criteria for a durable, well made boot (or shoe), regardless of brand?

It's my understanding that Goodyear welted or Blake stitched soles rather than glued only are both going to yield superior durability (and ease of repair)...is this true?

What other characteristics are critical and the most likely "fail" or weak points in a durable boot or shoe?

I have some old made in the UK Doc Martens that I found when I was cleaning out my closet and they're like brand new, but need to be re-soled.

I noticed immediately the threading on the inside of the sole when I lifted the pad out and assume this is Blake stitched?

camelotkid
01-02-2013, 22:13
I dont think they sell them at REI but yes you are right. I got a pair of mountain light II for christmas they were more double what I have ever spent on shoes but damn they are amazing!! more comfortable than my tennis shoes and they are made in USA and can be resouled so I plan on keeping them for a VERY long time.

camelotkid
01-02-2013, 22:22
Per my prior remarks in this thread, I wanted to ask the true experts here a few questions.

What are the main criteria for a durable, well made boot (or shoe), regardless of brand?

It's my understanding that Goodyear welted or Blake stitched soles rather than glued only are both going to yield superior durability (and ease of repair)...is this true?

What other characteristics are critical and the most likely "fail" or weak points in a durable boot or shoe?

I have some old made in the UK Doc Martens that I found when I was cleaning out my closet and they're like brand new, but need to be re-soled.

I noticed immediately the threading on the inside of the sole when I lifted the pad out and assume this is Blake stitched?
for serious use you want to look for norwegian welt construction. Where you can see the stitching around the sole of the boot. It lasts longer and if you wear out the sole it is resoleable. Also single piece construction where one piece of leather is used for the construction of the boot. No stich lines except on the back of the boot where your ankle would be.

Examples of this are Limmer, Vasque sundowner, Danner mountain light, Merrell Wilderness.

The Vasque will be the cheapest at around 170 because they are now made in China, older models made in italy.

The production Limmers and Merrells are made in Italy.

The Danners and hand made Limmers are made in the US.

*ASH*
01-02-2013, 22:42
i got some doc martens ,and they are comfy , but for me a no go for hiking .camping, the stitching is excellent but my feet get cold as hell wearing them
thats why i like REI , if i get anything and it breaks or messes up , take it back for refund, store credit , etc and get new boots .

i will never buy Keen again , i know that

i the boots i looked at today,

some made in china
some made on romania
some made in SLovakia

:dunno::dunno:

airmotive
01-02-2013, 22:58

TPS 520 GV

This. Right here. Stop searching now.
I've bought these two years ago. Wore them until they looked worn out, then replaced them with a pair of Vasques...only to break the sole and go back to my old boots....twice. I've now "replaced" them with a pair of Asolo boots, which are nearly as comfortable (too narrow), but aren't nearly as rugged.
I still wear the old TPSs regularly if I have hard hiking to do.
Wide toe box, sturdy ankle and heel.
The bomb.

Durden
01-03-2013, 00:22
Thanks camelot, ash, others. I learned a lot about boot construction on GT in this thread.

rgregoryb
01-03-2013, 06:41
bought 2 pair lol , one vasque and one asolo , could not decide , got one on clearance . so im happy .

i noticed on the vasque box it has sticker saying division of redwing company

as they say here in the South, you done good!