Do guns make us safer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do guns make us safer?

Raleigh Glocker
01-01-2013, 19:31
This is the third in a series of short, non-confrontational vids on the 2nd Amendment. I focus on the most significant and easily confirmable statistics to keep this video as short as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNs5z7uGtU

GaGlock01
01-01-2013, 19:37
is this video worth 4:37 of my life?

A gun in my hand when $**t hits the fan it makes me fell safer, so yes.

shotgunred
01-01-2013, 20:25
thanks keep up the work.

concretefuzzynuts
01-01-2013, 20:38
Good vid. I would like to see the statistics in print.

jpa
01-01-2013, 20:47
I don't believe that having a gun makes me any LESS safer, so at the very least it has a neutral effect on my safety.

HarleyGuy
01-01-2013, 21:25
I think there's an issue that always seems forgotten or simply ingnored as to who all of these murder victims are.

I somehow doubt that the average, law-abiding citizen, who has no affiliation with criminals or drug activity is a very large segment of the victims or murders via guns or any other means.

VinnieG
01-01-2013, 21:38
I think there's an issue that always seems forgotten or simply ingnored as to who all of these murder victims are.

I somehow doubt that the average, law-abiding citizen, who has no affiliation with criminals or drug activity is a very large segment of the victims or murders via guns or any other means.

Bingo brother. I would love to see that study. These fockers wanna lay with dogs they are gonna get fleas

JoeCitizen
01-01-2013, 21:49
I can't say for certain a gun makes my environment safer. The terms are to broad and there are too many variables. One thing I know for certain, if someone comes against me and they have the element of surprise, a weapon of any kind to include a firearm, then my odds of surviving that encounter are way higher if I'm armed.

dango
01-01-2013, 21:50
Simply YES..!

Raleigh Glocker
01-02-2013, 03:29
Determining the effect of owning a firearms for any one individual is hard to quantify, but what I show in the video is that we can quantify the protective effect on society as a whole due to American access to firearms.

The statistics on violent crime rates can be found online via the Daily Mail (ironically, Piers Morgan's former employer).
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

Rate of rape statistics for Australia come from their government.
http://www.aifs.gov.au/acssa/statistics.html

Other statistics can be found via the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/United-Nations-Surveys-on-Crime-Trends-and-the-Operations-of-Criminal-Justice-Systems.html

I found many other sources of the same information- though the US has a much higher rate of gun homicides (if you have access to a gun and want to kill somebody, you'll probably use it), we have an extremely LOW rate of violent crime overall, especially as compared to countries with strict gun control.

Bren
01-02-2013, 03:52
I don't believe that having a gun makes me any LESS safer, so at the very least it has a neutral effect on my safety.

Then you are wasting time and money with guns.

While I could see giving that answer about whether guns make society safer overall - you have to factor in criminals with guns, the number of people with guns, how criminals choose victims, etc. - I can't imagine how a person can think that way about their individual safety.

I have spent a lifetime dealing with crime, criminals and danger and carrying guns as a cop, soldier and civilian. I am absolutely, 100% certain that my gun makes me safer. Likewise, it makes people around me safer, whether they know it or not.

Raleigh Glocker
01-02-2013, 11:19
Well put, Bren.

eagle359
01-02-2013, 11:28
Guns do not make you safer. A gun locked in your safe and unloaded I do not think has any impact on your safety with regards to self-defense. A loaded firearm that you have access to I think does. Being properly trained in the use of said firearm adds to your safety also.

Raleigh Glocker
01-02-2013, 15:19
Guns do not make you safer. A gun locked in your safe and unloaded I do not think has any impact on your safety with regards to self-defense. A loaded firearm that you have access to I think does. Being properly trained in the use of said firearm adds to your safety also.

I always found it odd that people would enthusiatically buy guns of any kind and not seek training to go with them.

GreenDrake
01-02-2013, 15:38
Another fact that is twisted by the media and grabbers is not focusing on the revolving door of justice we have here. If you look closely at the statistics of repeat offenders versus other country's rates and their crime and punishment structure, we drop the ball big time. Case in point, the firefighter shootings. The guy killed his grandmother with a hammer, why he was not put into a wood chipper outside the courthouse I will never know. We need to clean house, starting with death row and carry out their sentences. I know it seems harsh and I will get flamed for it, but we are too easy on the criminals in this nation.

concretefuzzynuts
01-02-2013, 15:53
Determining the effect of owning a firearms for any one individual is hard to quantify, but what I show in the video is that we can quantify the protective effect on society as a whole due to American access to firearms.

The statistics on violent crime rates can be found online via the Daily Mail (ironically, Piers Morgan's former employer).
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

Rate of rape statistics for Australia come from their government.
http://www.aifs.gov.au/acssa/statistics.html

Other statistics can be found via the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/data-and-analysis/United-Nations-Surveys-on-Crime-Trends-and-the-Operations-of-Criminal-Justice-Systems.html

I found many other sources of the same information- though the US has a much higher rate of gun homicides (if you have access to a gun and want to kill somebody, you'll probably use it), we have an extremely LOW rate of violent crime overall, especially as compared to countries with strict gun control.

Thank you for the links. The liberal idiots I debate need these read to them but insist on following along with print, even though they can't understand logic.

I sometimes feel a puppet show might reach their level of mentality.

Raleigh Glocker
01-02-2013, 17:18
I sometimes feel a puppet show might reach their level of mentality.

That would be AWESOME!!! It COULD be done. :supergrin:

jpa
01-02-2013, 17:56
Then you are wasting time and money with guns.

While I could see giving that answer about whether guns make society safer overall - you have to factor in criminals with guns, the number of people with guns, how criminals choose victims, etc. - I can't imagine how a person can think that way about their individual safety.

I have spent a lifetime dealing with crime, criminals and danger and carrying guns as a cop, soldier and civilian. I am absolutely, 100% certain that my gun makes me safer. Likewise, it makes people around me safer, whether they know it or not.

I think you're misinterpreting my post. What I mean to say is that while I have no definitive proof that I have stopped or prevented any crimes from happening with my guns, I know for sure that they haven't made me any less safer.

Nobody around me has been accidentally shot, I haven't gone into a fit of rage and shot someone, no kids have been playing with my guns and I haven't committed any crimes with my guns. I can answer those questions definitively.

At the same time, I don't doubt there have been instances where if I needed a gun to make me more safe, I had one handy. I just can't quantify those instances. So at the very least, gun ownership has had a neutral effect on my safety.

rvanpelt
01-02-2013, 21:02
Well, if guns didn't make us safer, Obama sure wouldn't have all those secret service people, who are well armed, guarding him and his daughters.
Bet he would feel different about weapon bans if it would include him.:rofl:
Just my 2 cents worth and you can keep the change.
Rod van Pelt:wavey:

Raleigh Glocker
01-03-2013, 06:25
That's the irony lost on those who have armed protection. They see the need for armed security stemming from the fact that those with criminal intent have guns, and the best protection from a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

We good guys agree 100% with this idea.