Illinois to ban ALL firearms? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Illinois to ban ALL firearms?

GreenDrake
01-02-2013, 07:39
Say what?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/breaking-illinois-bill-to-ban-all-modern-firearms/

Is this even credible?

HerrGlock
01-02-2013, 07:44
I do believe I would have to see the text of such a bill. I could see Feinstein's bill being introduced in IL as credible, but all semi-auto? I'm thinking it wouldn't last the first set of appeals and suits.

I hope they're this insistent on concealed carry to the point they don't let anything pass before the deadline, though. I would pay real money to see IL get Constitutional Carry and see all the Chicago pols with the "WTF just happened?" look on their collective faces.

GreenDrake
01-02-2013, 07:49
Agreed, that seems more than just like Feinstein's shoot for the moon and take what keeps her a job strategy.

Fear Night
01-02-2013, 08:15
Illinois wants to be a Second-Amendment-Free-Zone.

stolenphot0
01-02-2013, 08:20
Here's the update

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/breaking-new-details-on-illinois-modern-firearm-ban-bill/

HerrGlock
01-02-2013, 08:28
Here's the update

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/breaking-new-details-on-illinois-modern-firearm-ban-bill/

I'm waiting to see where you're not allowed to get a FOID without a live fire training course and you're not allowed to fire a weapon even on a certified range without an FOID.

I can imagine someone there is trying to write that into one of the new bills in such a way that no one should catch it until it's passed.

RussP
01-02-2013, 08:28
I would pay real money to see IL get Constitutional Carry and see all the Chicago pols with the "WTF just happened?" look on their collective faces.How about the faces of the bad guys when intended victims start responding with superior force, aka shooting their sorry asses when threatened.

:cool:

M&P15T
01-02-2013, 08:32
Per one of the replies to the article linked to above:

"on December 11th the federal courts just gave IL 180 days to pass a conceal carry bill. This is nothing more than a ploy by Chicago Democrats to gain a bargaining chip in the fight on Conceal Carry."

HerrGlock
01-02-2013, 08:35
How about the faces of the bad guys when intended victims start responding with superior force, aka shooting their sorry asses when threatened.

:cool:

That's even secondary to seeing Jesse Jackson's face when anyone can carry without any permit required. I wonder if we'll be able to understand him then.

JBnTX
01-02-2013, 08:39
They won't ban anything if the people don't let them.
They are not kings and we are not servants.

But, this concept is lost on most Americans.

cowboywannabe
01-02-2013, 08:42
yeah but some folks there will bend over if it means they might get ccw allowed for revolvers.

Bren
01-02-2013, 09:27
Every lawyer and judge and person at all familiar with law already knows that banning all guns can't be done, constitutionally.

However, it is VERY common, especially at the state level, for lawmakers to introduce bills (sometimes even get them passed) just for attention and as a protest, knowing the laws they make are unconstitutional. For example, as soon as a federal court of the jurisdiction says that it isn't legal to prohibit the WBC from protesting at a funeral, a state lawmaker will introduce a bill to do it, to get some headlines and make him popular with those who don't understand it's an illusion designed to get votes.

raven11
01-02-2013, 09:29
I wouldn't worry about it , like others said the courts just told IL that they had to allow CCW and Qinn's AWB and Chicago's hi-cap magazine ban both never made it out of committee.

outside of Chicago ,IL is pretty progun

2bgop
01-02-2013, 09:37
Every lawyer and judge and person at all familiar with law already knows that banning all guns can't be done, constitutionally.

However, it is VERY common, especially at the state level, for lawmakers to introduce bills (sometimes even get them passed) just for attention and as a protest, knowing the laws they make are unconstitutional. For example, as soon as a federal court of the jurisdiction says that it isn't legal to prohibit the WBC from protesting at a funeral, a state lawmaker will introduce a bill to do it, to get some headlines and make him popular with those who don't understand it's an illusion designed to get votes.

This.

Happens all the time. It can also a take a few years for it to all play out.

IndyGunFreak
01-02-2013, 10:35
yeah but some folks there will bend over if it means they might get ccw allowed for revolvers.

I would agree with you, however, as far as the Illinois CCW situation goes... the ball is really in the "pro gun" court. If the libs get to whacky with the bills and amendments, they just keep voting against their bills, and constitutional carry takes place in 180 days. The libs definitely don't want that, so I think they will be more inclined to negotiate.

Spiffums
01-02-2013, 11:34
I thought everyone carried in Chicago anyways without a permit.......Bangers don't need no stinking CCW cards!

WarCry
01-02-2013, 12:08
Here's the thing I see - I keep seeing links about this bill getting worse and worse, but all the links feed back on themselves to this one website (thetruthaboutguns.com). When stories are self-reinforcing like that, it tends to make me discredit them, because I think they're just pulling quotes and comments from various places and assembling them willy-nilly.

I have no doubt believing Cullerton will introduce SOMETHING today, but it would be lucky to get out of committee, and it certainly won't pass both the Senate AND the House before Friday, which is when this legislature is done and the new one takes over, meaning everything starts over again.

He'll push something for show-boating purposes, but that's all it will be. That's my take on it, anyway.

Ragnar
01-02-2013, 13:26
Say what?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/breaking-illinois-bill-to-ban-all-modern-firearms/

Is this even credible?

Pass it all they want, but it won't stand up at even the 9th circuit court.

Al Czervik
01-02-2013, 14:41
Pass it all they want, but it won't stand up at even the 9th circuit court.

You have more faith in the robes of the ninth circus than do I.

coastal4974
01-02-2013, 14:43
Better do it quick, Chicago already 20 shootings so far this year.

WarCry
01-02-2013, 14:48
You have more faith in the robes of the ninth circus than do I.

I'm not sure about the 9th, but IL is in the jurisdiction of the 7th....the same 7th Circuit that just rule IL's ban on any method of weapons carry was unconstitutional.

So I'll say there's a pretty fair chance a ban like this wouldn't hold a whole lot of water, either.

GreenDrake
01-02-2013, 14:50
I am still wondering about the validity of the story, has anyone been able to find an alternate source of information on this? Seems way too far out there to be factually supported.

John Rambo
01-02-2013, 14:51
It should pass. They'd be getting exactly what they voted for.

Maybe decent people will flee Illinois just like they're fleeing California. Then the bleeding heart liberals and criminals would be free to enjoy their 1/25th of the union utopia.

Fox
01-02-2013, 14:58
I'm thinking it wouldn't last the first set of appeals and suits.

If Obama can pack the courts with enough liberal activist judges then you will not like the outcome.

the iceman
01-02-2013, 15:04
This is the kind of stuff thats going to spark a war.

IceAxe
01-02-2013, 15:16
This is the kind of stuff thats going to spark a war.

precisely what they have in mind in order to seize and consolidate more power

WarCry
01-02-2013, 15:33
The only firearms-related bill on the Senate's agenda today is discussion of HB5151, which protects ranges built after 1994 from being charged over most noise issues that might come up.
HB5151 (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=5151&GAID=11&SessionID=84&LegID=65268)

WarCry
01-02-2013, 16:59
Without fail, right after I posted that, they tried to make a move. They didn't introduce anything, the "amended" two House bills that were already on file: HB815 -originally an amendment to the Illinois Nuclear Safety Preparedness Act - and HB1263 - originally amending the Unified Code of Corrections regarding sentencing for repeat criminal sexual assault offenders.

Both bills are from 2011 and have been sitting idle.

el_jewapo
01-02-2013, 17:27
I hope it passes. Because A. ef Illinois and B. it would be nice to see a guinea pig zone for their little liberal utopia. Maybe seeing how fast it crumbles into chaos will take some steam out of the whole anti gun movement for the rest of us. Maybe some of the antis would move up there for the party.

DoubleWide
01-02-2013, 17:36
Without fail, right after I posted that, they tried to make a move. They didn't introduce anything, the "amended" two House bills that were already on file: HB815 -originally an amendment to the Illinois Nuclear Safety Preparedness Act - and HB1263 - originally amending the Unified Code of Corrections regarding sentencing for repeat criminal sexual assault offenders.

Both bills are from 2011 and have been sitting idle.

Could you explain further? I don't see the amendments.

dango
01-02-2013, 17:52
What is so hard to believe ? Imagine the UN , United Nations and their agenda ! For Americans to out-right confront the masses
would be a huge mistake with huge repercussions.

The UN , whole different story. Illinois is only a preview of what could happen. One step at a time.Call me paranoid !:dunno:

WarCry
01-02-2013, 18:02
Could you explain further? I don't see the amendments.

Any of the bills, if you click on "Full Text" at the top, you'll then see an option to select each amendment.

This is Senate Amendment 02 for HB815 (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09700HB0815sam002&GA=97&SessionId=84&DocTypeId=HB&LegID=56601&DocNum=815&GAID=11&Session=)

And Senate Amendment 06 for HB1263 (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=09700HB1263sam006&GA=97&SessionId=84&DocTypeId=HB&LegID=57242&DocNum=1263&GAID=11&Session=)

ls
01-02-2013, 22:13
A total ban is what they want, and if it passes they are happy. But it is also probably part of a strategy to submit a bill that has nearly everything they want, and then position themselves to seem reasonable and trying to "reach across the aisle" when the real bill they get "only" 90% of what they want.

rj1939
01-03-2013, 05:02
I hope it passes. Because A. ef Illinois and B. it would be nice to see a guinea pig zone for their little liberal utopia. Maybe seeing how fast it crumbles into chaos will take some steam out of the whole anti gun movement for the rest of us. Maybe some of the antis would move up there for the party.

It doesn't work that way. No matter how many times there is a "test case" that fails miserably, there is no recognition of that. Only a demand for even more laws. Facts are irrelevent.

schild
01-03-2013, 05:16
I live in the district of State Senator D. Kotowski, who introduced one of the bills. If you would like to politely tell him what you think of gun confiscation here is his contact info.

Contact Us

In Springfield:

mail:

Senator Dan Kotowski Legislative Office
M 118 Capitol Building
Springfield, IL 62706

phone:

217-782-3875

fax:

217-782-2115

email:

dan@senatorkotowski.com

LEO/Dad
01-03-2013, 05:42
Illinois: Gun and Magazine Ban and Registration Schemes Pass in Senate Public Health Committee Tonight

If you own a semi-automatic firearm or detachable magazine, they may be banned, taxed, and registered and you could easily become a felon unless you act NOW

Anti-gun legislators led by Senate President John Cullerton and backed by Governor Patrick Quinn (D) substituted and passed sweeping draconian gun and magazine bans in the Senate Public Health Committee today. House Bill 1263, amended to include a ban on many commonly owned firearms passed in this committee by a 6 to 4 vote. House Bill 815, which was amended to include a magazine ban and shooting range restrictions, passed by a 6 to 3 vote. Additionally, amendments have been filed to remove the hunting exception and could be introduced and considered on the Senate floor tomorrow. These actions prove once again that Chicago politicians seem more focused on creating new classes of criminals out of law-abiding citizens than dealing effectively with their current violent crime problems.

New amendments have been introduced which add some specifics to the time limits for registration of previously owned firearms and magazines, and set the fees to register firearms and magazines. These amendments will be heard in the Executive Committee tomorrow morning at 11am. Both bills are expected to be heard on the floor of the Senate tomorrow afternoon for their third and final vote, and this is where the real fight will take place to maintain your Second Amendment rights and defeat Senate President Cullerton's anti-gun agenda. It is imperative that you contact your state Senator IMMEDIATELY to express your opposition to House Bills 815 and 1263 and any additional anti-gun amendments.

Among other things, House Bill 815 would:

- Prohibit anyone without a FOID card from using a commercial shooting range, which in many cases would make it impossible to introduce new shooters to the safe and responsible use of firearms.

- Grant the State Police broad discretion to impose design, construction and operation standards that could shut down most commercial shooting ranges.

- Ban possession of magazines and other feeding devices that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. A "grandfather clause" would require registration by owners of such devices and give the State Police discretion to impose and charge fees. Registration would require "proof of ownership" that could be impossible for most people to provide, and even registered owners could not transfer magazines within Illinois, except to an heir or a licensed dealer. Transfers of "grandfathered magazines" would have to be reported to the ISP.

- Violations of this magazine ban would be a felony. Failure to report theft or loss of a magazine would be a misdemeanor until the third violation, which would be a felony.

House Bill 1263 would:

- Ban, at a minimum, all detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and pistols. Remington 7400 deer rifles, Ruger 10/22 squirrel guns, Glocks, 1911s, etc. This ban would include about 80% of handguns now sold in the U.S.

- Possibly ban all semi-automatic rifles and even revolvers or single-shot pistols with the capacity to accept muzzle brakes or compensators.

- Ban "assault weapon attachments," so possession of a thumbhole stock, a pistol grip,or a fore-end (a "shroud" that "partially or completely encircles the barrel") would be a crime even if you didn't possess a firearm.

- Ban all .50 BMG rifles.

- Contains "grandfather" provisions that would require registration by owners of devices and give the State Police discretion to impose and charge fees. Registration would require "proof of ownership."

- Create felony penalties for violation of this ban on guns or attachments.

- Create lost and Stolen penalties that would criminalize victims of gun theft.

Anti-gun politicians are attempting to sacrifice your constitutional rights as a scapegoat for the criminal acts of violence in Chicago by gangs and drug dealers. Don't let them succeed in banning your firearms or magazines as an excuse for stopping criminals from misusing them. Criminals -- by definition -- violate laws, especially gun control laws, including often: murder, rape, robbery, drug-dealing, gang violence, firearm theft, carrying concealed firearms without a license/permit, federal gun-free school zones. They do not obey gun bans, register their firearms, or get subjected to any gun control schemes (like the lone state ban on carrying concealed firearms for self-defense) that only affect and penalize law-abiding citizens like you. Your telephone calls TODAY will determine the outcome of this very serious assault on your Second Amendment rights.

The NRA-ILA will continue to send legislative updates as details become available. However, it is of the utmost importance that you act NOW to stop this gun and magazine ban. Call your state Senator IMMEDIATELY and express your opposition to banning firearms or magazines and urge them to vote against House Bills 815 and 1263.

To reach the main line for the Illinois General Assembly, please call 217-782-2000.

Contact information for your state legislators can be found by clicking here.

walt cowan
01-03-2013, 06:51
like their going to run into the hood, go door to door and snatch homeboys gat's? that's going to work out well. lol!

akapennypincher
01-03-2013, 07:37
Chicago has no gun violence because of it tough gun laws, just like NYCity.

WarCry
01-03-2013, 13:38
Democrats pull plug on gun, ammo bans (http://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/democrats-pull-plug-on-gun-ammo-bans/article_a078a2a0-55d8-11e2-949f-0019bb2963f4.html)

There's not enough support in the Illinois Senate to impose tough new restrictions on semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.

I think this should be a lesson to everyone - yes, stay vigilant, but just because a ban is talked about or introduced, it does NOT mean the world is crashing and it's time to gear up for a coup. It was a political move that had no real chance of going anywhere.

Jumper
01-04-2013, 13:36
Democrats pull plug on gun, ammo bans (http://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/democrats-pull-plug-on-gun-ammo-bans/article_a078a2a0-55d8-11e2-949f-0019bb2963f4.html)

... but just because a ban is talked about or introduced, it does NOT mean the world is crashing and it's time to gear up for a coup. It was a political move that had no real chance of going anywhere.

Maybe the threat of a coup/revolution was WHY it was just a political move and had no real chance of going anywhere. Jus sayin...

Bren
01-04-2013, 14:05
It doesn't work that way. No matter how many times there is a "test case" that fails miserably, there is no recognition of that. Only a demand for even more laws. Facts are irrelevent.

True enough. Rahm Emanuel is mayor of one of the highest violent crime cities in America and the most gun controlled city in America, yet he still argues that the whole country needs Chicago style gun control to be safe.

I live in a state where I can walk into the governor's office with my pistol concealed or on my hip in a cowboy holster and it is both legal and not the cause of great alarm. We don't have a crime problem and the worst school shooting we ever had was 3 students killed with a .22.