Bourne series: looking for something similar.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bourne series: looking for something similar..

Glock!9
01-02-2013, 10:02
Anyone know of any series with similar depth to the bourne series books? Seems most modern spy novels are shallow.
any ideas?

MstrPara
01-02-2013, 10:05
Have you read any Stephen Hunter?

Not necessarily JBish, but really, really good. REALLY good

VA27
01-02-2013, 10:29
Look for the Matt Helm series by Donald Hamilton. You may have to haunt your local library to find them. Donald Hamilton was also a gun writer and knew his stuff so you won't be grinding your teeth over 'mistakes'.

Don Pendelton's The Executioner series is a good read, as is Jerry Ahern's The Survivalist series. Another good one is The Destroyer series by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir.

There's enough reading there to keep you busy for quite a while!

Oops! I left out the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child.

Raleigh Glocker
01-02-2013, 11:36
Not a book, but "The Man from Nowhere" was South Korea's 2010 Movie of the Year and is a great super-assassin-turned-normal-guy-forced-to-use-training movie. It is subtitled, but if you don't mind that, this is a great flick to watch while you're researching books to read. :)

ron59
01-02-2013, 12:21
I just got into the Jack Reacher books, and have to say they're pretty good.

I've always been a fan of the John MacDonald series about "Travis McGee". Great series, 21 books in all. Lee Child's Jack Reacher is pretty close.

Lee does make several mistakes about gun related stuff, as long as you don't get too picky about some details, good reading.

If you go with the Jack Reacher books, try to read them in order. You can read one without reading all the others to enjoy it, but he does bring up past details that occurred in previous books occasionally.

Cochese
01-02-2013, 12:31
Vince Flynn and Brad Thor.

You're welcome.

par4buffett
01-02-2013, 12:52
Those are all good authors. Also google:
Daniel Silva
Was D Baldacci named yet?

Joe Nobody (Holding Their Own series)
James Wesly Rawles; The Patriot - (a novel of survival in the Coming Collapse), and sequels Survivors and Founders
I like Aherns, The Survivalist series. I had to restock that on my shelves buying used copies after i dumbly got rid of mine in a swap.

.264 magnum
01-02-2013, 13:00
I still have crush on the Canadian economist chick from the first Bourne book.

My guess is it'll be close to impossible to find character development and backdrop development - Black-Ops, Euro-banking, police etc. as Ludlum demonstrated during his prime. For a novel the first Bourne book is reasonably difficult reading.

ETA - I'm not sure Ludlum would make it now.

2bgop
01-02-2013, 13:05

You're welcome.

This.

Vince Flynn has no equal.

.264 magnum
01-02-2013, 13:10
This.

Vince Flynn has no equal.

I've never read a page from Flynn. Should I start from his chronological beginnings or is there a later title I should seek out. Thx.

Razorsharp
01-02-2013, 13:17
I've never read a page from Flynn. Should I start from his chronological beginnings or is there a later title I should seek out. Thx.
"Term Limits" is the first, and in my opinion, the best. But they are all good. I've just started the latest, "The Last Man".

And yes, they should be read in order, but it is not necessary.

casualoffender
01-02-2013, 13:18
Google and Amazon both have easy to find lists of the Mitch Rapp books in order; I'm about half way through...

sum-dum-guy
01-02-2013, 13:26
Most of the other series I could think of from the top of my head were already mentioned

If you want something a little different, try the John Rain books by Barry Eisler. I thnk Rain Fall was the first. Very enjoyable series.

Not many authors are able to interweave the plot with the details and writing style of Ludlum.

Razorsharp
01-02-2013, 13:26
Daniel Silva

James Wesly Rawles; The Patriot - (a novel of survival in the Coming Collapse), and sequels Survivors and Founders
I like Aherns, The Survivalist series. I had to restock that on my shelves buying used copies after i dumbly got rid of mine in a swap.
And in the same genre, Matthew Bracken's "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" trilogy is a good choice.

2bgop
01-02-2013, 13:35
"Term Limits" is the first, and in my opinion, the best. But they are all good. I've just started the latest, "The Last Man".

I agree, read them in order. I just finished The Last Man while on vacation last week, it is by far my favorite series.

G26S239
01-02-2013, 13:39
Kyle Mills has a series with FBI Agent Mark Beamon that I like.

SC Tiger
01-02-2013, 13:40
Most of the other series I could think of from the top of my head were already mentioned

If you want something a little different, try the John Rain books by Barry Eisler. I thnk Rain Fall was the first. Very enjoyable series.

Not many authors are able to interweave the plot with the details and writing style of Ludlum.

I just started the first one of that series. Pretty good so far.

2bgop

Everyone's taste for writing style is different, but I can not for the life of me like Ludlum. I don't like Bourne and I really can't even make myself read the Covert-One series anymore.

He is one of the most successful authors in history, but I just don't like his books.

G26S239
Also read Orson Scott Card's Empire.

.264 magnum
01-02-2013, 13:46

Thank you.

PBCounty
01-02-2013, 13:50
Vince Jacker and Nick Puller are both excellent series.

.264 magnum
01-02-2013, 13:53
Everyone's taste for writing style is different, but I can not for the life of me like Ludlum. I don't like Bourne and I really can't even make myself read the Covert-One series anymore.

He is one of the most successful authors in history, but I just don't like his books.

I like Ludlum more than you do but I certainly get your point. His writing is very blocky and dense - like data dense. His style is very gray too. Sort-of like John le Carre - whom I also cannot put down. I see a trend.

hooligan74
01-02-2013, 13:54

You're welcome.

This.

:thumbsup:

220-9er
01-02-2013, 15:10
Another vote for Vince Flynn and reading them in order.

G26S239
01-02-2013, 15:32
I like Ludlum more than you do but I certainly get your point. His writing is very blocky and dense - like data dense. His style is very gray too. Sort-of like John le Carre - whom I also cannot put down. I see a trend.
George Smiley is a great character.

Gallium
01-02-2013, 15:43
Nelson Demille - The Lion's Game and The Lion.

Good night.

.264 magnum
01-02-2013, 16:31
George Smiley is a great character.

Roger that.

profiler999
01-02-2013, 16:39
James Rollins sigma force series.
James Lee Burke series
Nelson demille series.
Brad Thor
Ben coes
Mark Greaney
Alex Berenson

I'm a character follower. Start with first books in series and go for it. I love audible. com

Carry on....

PBCounty
01-02-2013, 17:56
No one has mention the Chuck Stiff series??

davsco
01-02-2013, 18:01
totally dated now, but before i started reading all the ludlum books, i read all the alistair maclean books. ice station zebra, guns of navarone. i think my favorite was 'the secret ways' but they were all very good.

Southmansfield
01-02-2013, 18:13
The Daniel Silva books are a good read. Not quite the same style as Ludlum, but still good.

Glock!9
01-02-2013, 18:38

You're welcome.

I read Thor and it was entertaining but i found it a bit lacking in detail.
I just picked up a Lee Child, Jack Reacher book today.

Hawkwood
01-14-2013, 12:05
I agree with the Vince Flynn recommendation. I saw his name mentioned here on GT and figured I'd give it a try. Most of my book-reading is non-fiction and I wanted a little something different to give me a break. It was a great suggestion, and while Mitch Rapp (the main character) is a bit one-dimensional...they are still great books with a focus on post-9/11 terrorism and the intelligence community. I'm on my fifth one and they are definitely page-turners!

Lnguyen9
01-13-2014, 14:37
I like Ludlum, especially the first Bourne. I love the psychological depth of the book and the planning, thinking, and all. For Flynn, Hunter, and Silva, I like them all but they are not as grandeur as Ludlum, sorry folks. Thor, I have not hooked into his book yet and I tried.
You should also read the hilarious series from Ludlum. They are great! that damm general.

aplcr0331
01-13-2014, 14:41
Vince Flynn
Lee Child, Jack Reacher
Kyle Mills

That should keep you busy for a while.

JimmyRayBob
01-13-2014, 14:48
Tom Clancy, especially his first - The Hunt for Red October. But they are all good.

Michael Crichton - some of his older stuff like The Andromeda Strain.

Petra
01-13-2014, 18:46
Not exactly like the Bourne series, but W.E.B. Griffin's, Presidential Agent series is a good read.

http://www.webgriffin.com/series_presidentialagent.html

BamaTrooper
01-13-2014, 19:04
Daniel Silva

Ahern is the reason I have a Python and a HiPower.:supergrin:

Cochese
01-13-2014, 21:12
Not exactly like the Bourne series, but W.E.B. Griffin's, Presidential Agent series is a good read.

Agreed. Castillo grew on me.

Cochese
01-13-2014, 21:13
I read Thor and it was entertaining but i found it a bit lacking in detail.
I just picked up a Lee Child, Jack Reacher book today.

Read reacher in order. I've read them all. He really grows on you.

rppnj
01-13-2014, 22:58
Nelson DeMille - John Corey Series in order
Lee Child - Jack Reacher Series in order
Robert Crais - Elvis Cole/Joe Pike Series in order
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch Series in order

hogfish
01-14-2014, 06:34
I like Ludlum, especially the first Bourne. I love the psychological depth of the book and the planning, thinking, and all. For Flynn, Hunter, and Silva, I like them all but they are not as grandeur as Ludlum, sorry folks. Thor, I have not hooked into his book yet and I tried.
You should also read the hilarious series from Ludlum. They are great! that damm general.

The Road To Omaha, ...Gandolfo? Funny.

jdw174
01-14-2014, 07:03

You're welcome.

Absolutely agree 1000%!! Sadly, Vince is no longer with us.

Nest
01-14-2014, 09:24

Another vote for this one. It has pretty good character depth. Griffin also does a police detective series called Badge of Honor I think. Not a spy novel, but still a pretty decent series.

aircarver
01-14-2014, 09:55
The WEB Griffin Honor Bound Series is very good ... for people who like spies and aviation ... :supergrin:

Dennis in MA
01-14-2014, 10:02
Nelson DeMille - John Corey Series in order
Lee Child - Jack Reacher Series in order
Robert Crais - Elvis Cole/Joe Pike Series in order
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch Series in order

DeMille is good. I don't like all of his books. He seemed to have a period of petering out. He'd get right up until the climax and then, BOOM, the book was over in 3 paragraphs.

Lee Child - Eh. They are OK. I don't go out of my way.

Crais - never read.

Connelly/Bosch. I love these. I truly do. His other work is OK, but a new Bosch book will stop me in my tracks.

Dennis in MA
01-14-2014, 10:07
The WEB Griffin Honor Bound Series is very good ... for people who like spies and aviation ... :supergrin:

WEB is good, but after 2-3 series of books, you realize his ability to develop characters is severely lacking. It's similar characters in every series. The young newbie, the moral, brooding, yet immoral-to-get-the-job done, tough-as-nails guy, the hotshot, the expert, etc., Over and over.

The Corps series is probably the best for me.

faceplant
01-14-2014, 10:23
I have liked some of the books from the above authors. Usually the first one of a series. But it seems that when they start a series they are telling the same story over and over. The first couple are ok but then I lose interest. The worst is when they have someone write the book for them. Like Tom Clancy has done.

BMH
01-14-2014, 12:02
I've really enjoyed the Gray Man series by Mark Greaney. But don't take my word for it;

"Hard, fast, and unflinching--exactly what a thriller should be." —Lee Child

“Take fictional spy Jason Bourne, pump him up with Red Bull and meth, shake vigorously—and you’ve got the recipe for Court Gentry.”—The Memphis Commercial Appeal

SC Tiger
01-14-2014, 12:27
I have not seen it mentioned, and it isn't "Bourne - esque" so much but Matthew Bracken's Enemies trilogy is really good. Read them in order.

The second one (Domestic enemies - the Reconquista) is a little weak and has one or two strange scenes in it. But Enemies Foreign and Domestic is really good, and Foreign Enemies and Traitors is dang near a masterpiece IMO.

I've read the first three "Jack Reacher" books from Lee Child and they are good. Tripwire (the third one) is the best so far IMO.

J_Rico
01-14-2014, 13:21
Wilbur Smith wrote some great stuff. Lots of history and adventure. Not so much espionage like Bourne, but really good.

Someone mentioned Travis Mcgee. One of my favorite series. Meyer may be the best sidekick ever.

Picked some stuff out of this tread for my reading list. Thanks guys. :wavey:

J_Rico
01-14-2014, 13:27
On the Mitch Rapp series should you go storyline order or publication date?

Lnguyen9
01-14-2014, 15:41
Is Mitch Rapp going to survive after the dead of Vince?

CBennett
01-14-2014, 15:58
WEB is good, but after 2-3 series of books, you realize his ability to develop characters is severely lacking. It's similar characters in every series. The young newbie, the moral, brooding, yet immoral-to-get-the-job done, tough-as-nails guy, the hotshot, the expert, etc., Over and over.

The Corps series is probably the best for me.

In most of the WEB books he went into tangents on so many different things that I started to do the old...when is something FUN,EXCITING,INTERESTING going to happen lol....and it was often a LONG wait...I tried to really like and get into his WWII OSS books but they were so damn BORING I just couldn't...the more modern day ones are a TAD better but guess they are just not my cup of tea..just not enough action and or excitement in them.

Petra
01-14-2014, 16:44

Yes, got into that series also. Like the WWII setting for a change of pace.

PBCounty
01-15-2014, 12:32
Mitch Rapp?? Oh man these names just keep getting better. :rofl:

PBCounty
01-15-2014, 12:36
Harry Bone, Mack Wood, Frank Rod, Rick Pull....I can do this. Better than Nascar names.

Baba Louie
01-15-2014, 14:41
Old school... and well worth adding to your library

Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester
Aubrey Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian
Sharps Rifle series by Bernard Cornwell

Here's one series I found kinda fun as well...
Barry Sadler's "Casca" collection. Impossible and implausible but page turners with a little fighting thrown in.

None are action spy thrillers, but all worth a read based on historical reality with excellent research, especially Cornwell.

SC Tiger
01-15-2014, 15:28

Question - have you read "The Detachment" by Eisler? It has Dox, Rain, and two other characters working together. It was a good read I thought.

One thing to watch on Eisler is he (or his publisher) will re-publish old books under new names. So be careful.