Is $40 for a gallon of paint normal? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Is $40 for a gallon of paint normal?

devildog2067
01-02-2013, 15:55
I haven't bought paint in a long time, but I seem to remember it being 20-something... my wife wants to paint the kids' room so I went to the local hardware store to buy paint. A gallon of semi-gloss ran $39.99 and a gallon of matte was $32.99.

Have paint prices gone up a lot in the last couple of years, am I misremembering, or did my local hardware store just rip me off?

byf43
01-02-2013, 15:59
The last paint I bought, was Sherwinn Williams exterior latex.
About $30.00/gal.

That was October, 2012.

cranejc
01-02-2013, 15:59
Paint prices vary greatly by brand - Behr & Valspar are higher end, and usually run in that range. Colorplace at WM is usually around $15/gal for any finish.

You do get what you pay for with paint...

Halojumper
01-02-2013, 16:06
Paint prices vary greatly by brand - Behr & Valspar are higher end, and usually run in that range. Colorplace at WM is usually around $15/gal for any finish.

Really? At the Lowes near me, Valspar seems to be the cheap stuff.

devildog2067
01-02-2013, 16:07
Well, I just noticed that they double-charged me for rollers as well. Not enough to bother going back and getting it fixed ($2.78) but enough that I won't go back there again.

That's what I get for trying to support local small businesses.

GreenDrake
01-02-2013, 16:08
Could be about right these days. Last gallon I bought was Behr eggshell finish for about $34 a gallon. Key thing is to get your primer tinted the same as the room color, covers easier.

Monte4283
01-02-2013, 16:13

Exactly, I've bought some cheap paint before and it was just that...Cheap.

Could be about right these days. Last gallon I bought was Behr eggshell finish for about $34 a gallon. Key thing is to get your primer tinted the same as the room color, covers easier.

Great tip, I'll have to try that next time.

inthefrey
01-02-2013, 16:23
Yep! That is about the average price. Home Depot paint (BERH) was about that price for the "good" stuff"

Hummer
01-02-2013, 16:24
Good latex paint sells for $30-$40 per gallon, oil-based is heading toward $50. Welcome to the devaluation of the American dollar. The more they print, the less it's worth.

Spiffums
01-02-2013, 16:27
Good latex paint sells for $30-$40 per gallon, oil-based is heading toward $50. Welcome to the devaluation of the American dollar. The more they print, the less it's worth.

And it's Bush's Fault!!!! :rofl:

I just wanted to add to Hummer's good post that if you get the cheap Wal-mart paint that's 1/3 the price....you use 3 times as much to get the good coverage that the good paint gets.

GreenDrake
01-02-2013, 16:29
We need to ban hi capacity rollers, this is just too much.

Radam3
01-02-2013, 16:31
DO NOT get the paint and primer in one! I had horrible luck with it. I went from a cream color to a bright maroon (if there is such a thing, best way I can describe it...) the paint person at Home Depot assured me it was the way to go. And that it would cover completely with two coats max. We'll six coats later I gave up on trying to cover the "pink"? Where the cream was still bleeding through. The seventh coat went on with a rag roller to make the pink blend in and called it good. A room that should have been covered with less than a gallon of each primer and paint, turned into almost 3 gallons of the paint and primer in one.

"No more judgement day
Only tranquility
Peace signs, protest lines
Mean nothing to me"

Cybercowboy
01-02-2013, 16:38
I like to get the premium brand paints from actual paint stores, not the big box stores. Pittsburgh Paint, Sherwin Williams, etc. Eggshell is the best all-around interior wall paint finish. It's a very good idea to tint your primer and also it is common now to paint your ceiling a different shade of the wall color instead of just flat ceiling white. Eggshell is washable, very durable, and yet not shiny and reflective like semi-gloss can be.

Years ago a friend of mine asked me to help him paint the house he just rented. The landlord bought him several big 5-gallon buckets of paint. It was the cheap stuff. Totally useless. Took perhaps five coats to totally change the wall color from green to beige. Even then it was streaked and chalky.

CBennett
01-02-2013, 16:40
For anything decent $35+(colored) so yeah $40 isnt far off

Dennis in MA
01-02-2013, 18:09
Normal.
And yeah, prime separately. It's like a Leatheman tool. Nice to have a screwdriver and a knife in your pliers at camp or in your car. But at home? You will grab 3 different tools. Same with most things. Combining X and Y doesn't make it as good as a Reese's.

g29andy
01-02-2013, 18:12
Try pricing automotive paint :o

coastal4974
01-02-2013, 18:13
I joined the Sherwin Williams email list and they have 30% off sales about every other month

certifiedfunds
01-02-2013, 18:44
Gouging

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

byf43
01-02-2013, 19:24

I don't recall ever using Valspar, but, in this area, Behr is some TRASHY paint. Never again.

Sherwin Williams, Martin Senour paint.
(IF memory serves me, Duron and Sherwin Williams are owned by the same company, now.)

One paint to RUN away from. . . . . Sears "Easy Living".

gwalchmai
01-02-2013, 19:58
Paint always seems to cost more than I expect. Even so, that seems a little high to me.

I think you defeat the purpose of not shopping at a store for reasons like double-charging if you don't inform the manager of why he's losing your business. Is it worth it for three bucks? Maybe not, but OTOH, you're sure to get your money back, and you just might develop a good long-term relationship with a vendor, and that's not a bad thing to have. It's a good thing when you can give a guy a chance to do the right thing and show you he's a decent guy, and you got nuttin to lose but a phone call. ;)

Well, I just noticed that they double-charged me for rollers as well. Not enough to bother going back and getting it fixed ($2.78) but enough that I won't go back there again.

janice6
01-02-2013, 20:02
Try pricing automotive paint :o

Yes. This is way beyond sticker shock.

RaiderCop
01-02-2013, 20:20
My dad was a journeyman painter, obviously painting is 90% prep and 10% painting. He always said never go with cheap paint. He liked Kelly Moore and Sherman Williams.

Two summers ago I used SW Duration on my kid's room. Nice one coat coverage over primed walls. Last summer I painted our master bedroom with SW Cashmere. I had them mix a Home Depot Behr color (chocolate froth). It required two coats over primed walls and it is some of the best looking interior latex I have ever seen.

Don't go cheap on paint.

jollygreen
01-02-2013, 21:11
You get what you pay for. You can find cheaper paint, but it'll run, not last as long, etc.

I paid $56/gallon for some primo exterior paint at Sherman Williams a couple months ago.

They make mistakes, like double charging, but it's a mistake. They'll make it right.

That's the only place I'll buy paint. Their computer paint matching machine is second to none.

NDCent
01-02-2013, 21:25
Yep it's went up that much. As mentioned, increases in automotive paint the last few years are even worse.

The good stuff covers better and can be cleaned. Sherman Williams and Benjamin Moore both have some good products.

certifiedfunds
01-02-2013, 21:30
They got the paint and they know you need the paint and they stick it to you.

Whatcha gonna do? Not paint? :dunno: Get real. This world has walls and walls need paint.

crnama
01-02-2013, 22:59
That is about the going rate for good paint. The new Behr paint and primer in one at Home Depot is like $36/gallon. We normally buy benjamin moore and it is $35-$50/gallon. They have some great exterior paint but it is like $56/gallon.

goldenlight
01-03-2013, 03:47

Call the manager of the store and see if he will make it right over the phone. It's a small amount; unlikely that you are trying to scam the store.

If he's smart, he'll credit your credit card, or get somebody to drop a check in the mail, rather than lose a customer.

If he's smart...

LEO/Dad
01-03-2013, 06:08
I did some research, and found information that Sherwin Williams made their paint. I needed to paint a hallway and three bedrooms. I used their interior flat. I believe it was $10.99/gallon. I have used expensive paint before, and I was really surprised how well the Wally paint covered, particularly a bedroom repainted with medium green over a off white. I guess we will see how durable it is, but the finish seems tough. I just couldn't see spending $25/30/gal. for our work. No more kids marking walls etc. We are just empty nesters. I put two coats on everything.

JohnBT
01-03-2013, 07:09
Every cheap paint I've tried was like painting with water - drip, drip, splatter.

I love good paint. Labor is expensive, paint really isn't.

Having said all that, I know what painting contractors pay and what I pay for the same gallon. But there's markup in every business.

Dennis in MA
01-03-2013, 08:46
Are you all saying the $199 deal at Maaco won't work anymore on my car???? LOL

Chuck66
01-03-2013, 13:15

No doubt. Buy Sherwin Williams' good stuff and you'll spend a lot less time actually painting, and it'll look better when it's done. They have a buyer's club you can join where they send you coupons that bring the price on their paints in line with what you'll pay at Lowe's or Home Depot for Valspar/Behr. Brushes matter, too. Purdy all the way, for me.

wjv
01-03-2013, 14:46
The US Gov keeps saying there is no inflation. .

But walk into a McDonalds and order one of their standard (not value menu) meals and you will spend at least $7.

Not very long ago they were $5.

E-2-E
01-03-2013, 15:25
Normal for GOOD paint. I only use BM, and do use SW once in awhile. $40.00 sounds fine. Now a $2.78 roller cover sounds like a piece of crap. Purdy white dove is my choice for covers. Use then toss, I do not clean covers.

Landmonster
01-03-2013, 15:43
Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams have expensive paint.
Home Depot has Behr, which is a mid-range paint in the mid $20s per gallon.

Try Pittsburgh Paints. I used their high-end "manor hall" paint, which rivals the $60ish paints at BM and SW, and it was about $40.

Ace Hardware supposedly has good paint too.

devildog2067
01-03-2013, 15:53
The US Gov keeps saying there is no inflation.

Uhh... that's simply not true. The "US Gov" says that inflation is around 2-3%, and has been saying so for years.

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/CUUR0000SA0_1451374_1357253559998.gif

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 16:41
Uhh... that's simply not true. The "US Gov" says that inflation is around 2-3%, and has been saying so for years.

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/CUUR0000SA0_1451374_1357253559998.gif

I'm starting to think that chart is a screensaver on a loop

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

wjv
01-08-2013, 11:00

Yet prices of FOOD and energy have gone up WAY more than 2%-3%.

Food prices are up ~40% just 2-3 year.