How do you carry a spare mag? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry a spare mag?

JPage
01-02-2013, 21:16
I am looking for ideas to carry a spare mag IWB. I carry enough stuff in my pockets day to day. What is out there that works well? I carry a G19

jack76590
01-02-2013, 23:36
I use these. Very smooth on the draw, secure, compact (although not IWB) and rugged. Plus easy on and off, but unlike many easy on and off carriers these pouches will not come off with mag.

http://gebhardsolutions.com/gebhard_solutions_kydex

smokeross
01-03-2013, 00:45
In my sock.

larry_minn
01-03-2013, 00:56
Actually often I don't. We all play the odds to some extent.

The odds of needing a gun are slim, the odds I will have to shoot it are MUCH less. That I will every use more then 5 rounds. (you would need a microscope to see) :)
This is for daily carry. I may have some loose rds in watch pocket if I just have .380.
Winter I have spare mag in coat pocket, sometimes 2nd gun in pocket.`

collim1
01-03-2013, 08:48
I carry in a Blackhawk belt carrier at 11:00 on my weak side. A mag is pretty slim, thats alot of pressure pushed into a small area on your waistline. I cant imagine carrying a mag IWB comfortably.

samurairabbi
01-03-2013, 09:01
Why not dedicate ONE pocket to carrying 2-3 spare mags? Gives you enormous reserves, leaves all your other pockets available for stuff, and solves an extra concealment headache.

robhic
01-03-2013, 09:07
REMORA, the holster maker, offers a small IWB pouch that works on the same (friction) principle as their holsters do.

It's kinda neat and you can stick it anywhere you want IWB 'cause it doesn't have any hooks or loops. Check 'em out: http://www.remoraholsters.com/

cesaros
01-03-2013, 09:08
Why not dedicate ONE pocket to carrying 2-3 spare mags? Gives you enormous reserves, leaves all your other pockets available for stuff, and solves an extra concealment headache.

Holy god...2-3 spare mags? That's pretty over-kill (no pun intended) for everyday carry.

I like the horizontal leather mag pouches. Get one in the same color as your belt, and it just looks like a leatherman case.

Lior
01-03-2013, 09:23
These days I am back to using a SmartCarry for EDC, so in the other pocket of the SmartCarry. G19C goes into the first one, providing plenty of inguinal firepower.

samurairabbi
01-03-2013, 09:32
Holy god...2-3 spare mags? That's pretty over-kill (no pun intended) for everyday carry.

Perhaps ... But if it can EASILY be done, it can make the transition from "overkill" to "hey, why not?".

I have focused on the Reginald Denny incident as a standard for my standard carry setup: a guy with the radio off unwittingly driving into a civil insurrection. Even if he had prevented the initial assault, he would have been stuck with a possibly inoperable vehicle in an area temporarily abandoned by civil authority. Those extra mags IN THAT CONTEXT become reasonable.

cesaros
01-03-2013, 10:11
Perhaps ... But if it can EASILY be done, it can make the transition from "overkill" to "hey, why not?".

I have focused on the Reginald Denny incident as a standard for my standard carry setup: a guy with the radio off unwittingly driving into a civil insurrection. Even if he had prevented the initial assault, he would have been stuck with a possibly inoperable vehicle in an area temporarily abandoned by civil authority. Those extra mags IN THAT CONTEXT become reasonable.

I guess I just don't like the weight of 3 15rnd mags weighing down my pants...its bad enough with just a cell, wallet and keys :supergrin:

But if you wear cargo's daily, then I can jump on board with the "hey, why not?".

samurairabbi
01-03-2013, 10:33
I guess I just don't like the weight of 3 15rnd mags weighing down my pants...its bad enough with just a cell, wallet and keys :supergrin:

But if you wear cargo's daily, then I can jump on board with the "hey, why not?".

Try it with ONE mag in a pocket. If that works smoothly for a while, then try it.with TWO. If that still seems comfortable for a transition period, give it a shot with THREE.

I would not mind turning you into a convert.

SCmasterblaster
01-03-2013, 10:34
I carry it in my back left pocket. It is a mag for a G17 and it is blocky and bulky.

Cream Soda Kid
01-03-2013, 10:55
http://magills.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_6785_image_400x600__shadow.jpg
If you donít mind ankle carry (I donít).

Iíve had mine for a few years and I wear it when I canít wear a mag pouch on my belt.

Usually I just carry one magazine in it to minimize the weight though, but thatís just me.

Magills has it for $34.95

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/312_Magazine+Holsters/6785_Ankle+Magazine+Pouch/?mode=image

JPage
01-03-2013, 11:09
I think I would like a brown leather snap close for a double stack. that resembles a multi tool holder. Any ideas where to look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay-bird
01-03-2013, 11:16
I think I would like a brown leather snap close for a double stack. that resembles a multi tool holder. Any ideas where to look?

Find a leather worker in your town. Have him make one. Should be pretty easy. Ask around at the old saloon.

JPage
01-03-2013, 11:29
Find a leather worker in your town. Have him make one. Should be pretty easy. Ask around at the old saloon.

I have one , but his wait time right now is out at least a month I believe

Mr Spock
01-03-2013, 12:01
Comptac makes a pretty nice tuckable IWB mag holder.

yamen1999
01-03-2013, 12:11
I carry a G21 IWB. I carried a spare mag using a tucker mag pouch http://www.tuckergunleather.com/iwb-single-magazine-pouch/. I'm now trying a safariland mag pouch http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=123. I changed pouches just to see what methode I prefer. So far I find the horizontal safariland pouch a little more comfortable, but not by much.

There was some discussion on cop talk about horizontal verse verticle carry recently.

fuzzy03cls
01-03-2013, 12:16
I stick it in my pocket. I can't use any of the belt mounted mag carriers. I tried. They either get caught on things as I move around or then dig into my car seats & damage the leather, or they get caught on the edge of my office chair. I broke 2 by getting it caught on something. Then I tried the horizontal one....That was just uncomfortable & access wasn't easy. So back to the pocket it went.
Keep in mind your will need even bigger waste sizes to IWB a gun & a mag carrier.

larry_minn
01-03-2013, 12:31

I used to use a knife type pouch for spare mag for S&W 39 (9mm single stack) Course yrs ago half the guys I saw had a knife in leather, or fiber holder.

SouthpawG26
01-03-2013, 14:21
For me, very simple:
One extended G17 mag (with XGrip sleeve, for my EDC G26), upside down, bullets forward, in my weakhand front pocket, regardless of pants type (cargo pants, dress pants, shorts).

I keep nothing else in the particular pocket.

As you transfer the mag to fresh pants, be sure to inspect the top round for seating and lint.

G26AZ
01-03-2013, 16:56
I usually carry one 15 rounder on the left side in a kydex OWB holder. My G19 is on my right side. My G26 is on my left ankle, with two more G19 mags on the right ankle. In my backpack I keep 2 or 3 of the 33 round extended magazines, along with a folded up Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm and usually an extra box or two of ammo in reserve. That's on the days when I don't anticipate any danger. Now on the dangerous days . . .

Deaf Smith
01-03-2013, 17:03
Spare mag? Oh I just pack a P32 Kel-tec in a pocket holster. That IS my spare mag.

Deaf

68blackbird
01-03-2013, 18:32
G19 Gen4, 3 Speed Holster.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rxduZdhM-gM/UOYveAwSZeI/AAAAAAAAB7k/Fip-FMKZLt8/s638/IMGP6483.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Zh_yDwbXzQs/UOYwRZVzQcI/AAAAAAAAB7w/fOnOuAyqhC0/s638/IMGP6484.JPG

Tx-SIG229
01-03-2013, 18:56
i carry my spare mag in a $7 nylon pouch i got from Academy. you can wear it horizontally or vertically and the flap secures with velcro.

4Rules
01-03-2013, 19:55
thinnest Mag Pouch
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1450257

John Watson
01-03-2013, 20:02
I wanted a horizontal mag holder so I did some research and found one that I thought I might like for a reasonable price from SHTF Gear. It came in today and I was hoping my USP 45 mag would fit in it. It was tight but did fit. I left it in the mag pouch to acquire the mags shape. It is very light made of thin leather with an easy on, easy off snap.

DevilDocsGlocks
01-03-2013, 20:09
Spare two magazine pouch on the left, IWB holder, Glock 27 on the right. Loose enough shirt, not noticeable.

dosei
01-03-2013, 20:21
I carry spare mags in kydex OWB mag carriers, carried on my weak side. Gun rides IWB, strong side.

Maine1
01-03-2013, 21:06

This. If its not on your person Come SHTF, its on the moon. No need to scrounge, hope for resupply, just carry it.
I mean, we are supposedly an overwieght nation..but we are *****ing about a few ounces of mag/ammo, when the 20# or so of extra weight many of us carry is not worthy of attention?
AND , if you are NOT obese and in great shape..you are strong enough to tote a few more ounces of ammo, no?
There are many good reasons to carry an ample supply of ammo. They just do not make sense to those who are thinking in a narrow, daily SD, kind of way. People lug several #s of electrical toys with them everywhere...but life saving tools are too heavy?

Fort the record, I use a mag pouch i put in my rear pocket, holds two mags vertically, and keeps them in a consistent position. 2 20 round G-20 mags, BTW.

bushhogg
01-03-2013, 21:30
carry one extra mag. in left back pocket

SCmasterblaster
01-04-2013, 11:18
carry one extra mag. in left back pocket

Just like me - a G17 mag in my back left pocket. I am going to get a belt holder ASAP.

Ranger1759
01-05-2013, 20:26
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, like the leatherman holder, I found several nylon cell phones case that will fit 2 G23 or G27 mag nicely, some with a Velcro flap, some without....I found them at discount stores like odd lots, or big lot stores. They conceal great, and function just like my double mag pouch on my duty belt...I'll try and get a photo on later...
Just my .02:cool:
Ranger

19Glock19
01-07-2013, 19:00
In my multitool pouch, weak side on my belt.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

PelhamGMan
01-07-2013, 20:40
The thing I found was carrying them in my back pocket caused my jeans to wear and actually wore holes in the pockets where the sharper edges of the mag was. Best thing I ever did was get one single carrier and one double mag carrier. 90% of the time spares are carried in them. Most times I just use the single. Every once in a blue moon, when the carrier doesn't work, I'll throw one in my back pocket, but at least my jeans are lasting longer.

RJ's Guns
01-07-2013, 21:30
I don't, I carry a spare handgun. Usually a Seecamp 380 or a J frame S&W.
RJ

Lt Scott 14
01-08-2013, 05:04
Blackhawk single or double carrier off side. If I use a single mag carrier, flip it around and loosen my belt 1 notch, place it between my belt and jeans waistband. They hang out and do get caught up in the seatbelt, or edge of the seat too easy. They have a Blackhawk nylon nag case at Wally Mart, bought it and holds dbl stack mag for a Glock, or? can mount vertical, haven't tried it out yet. Love to check for those in the discount box at gun shows. Cheaper to buy and broken in.

John Watson
01-08-2013, 11:26
I just purchased a horizontal mag pouch from SHTF Gear for $20. It is made of leather and can snap on and off the belt without having to remove your belt. I wanted something that wouldn't dig into my love handle. It was a snug fit for my USP 45 mag but I am working to loosen it up.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h127/jwatson34076/maghorizontal_zps4a1f3c80.jpg

SCmasterblaster
01-08-2013, 12:20
I don't, I carry a spare handgun. Usually a Seecamp 380 or a J frame S&W.
RJ

Good idea. The fastest reload is a second gun. :cool:

4Rules
01-08-2013, 14:50
If any of you haven't yet tried either this (http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/images/archangel5.jpg) or this (http://www.101holsters.com/images/1356198635125-648768898.jpeg) yet, you should.

http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.php

http://www.101holsters.com/IWB-Pistol-MC-IWB-MC.htm

ca survivor
01-08-2013, 15:50
I would like to know how you carry 2-3 mags in a pocket, lets say 3 Glock 21 mags with 13 rounds of .45 ACP.

samurairabbi
01-08-2013, 17:02
I would like to know how you carry 2-3 mags in a pocket, lets say 3 Glock 21 mags with 13 rounds of .45 ACP.

By choosing slacks with pockets large enough to do so. They are easier to find than many would believe. I have some that will carry three G20 mags in either a front or a cargo pocket without printing.

tango44
01-08-2013, 17:16
Fobus Single Mag Carrier.

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-fobus-single-mag-pouch-glock-9-40-h-k-9-40-g-a-p-45-3901g.jpg

rick458
01-09-2013, 03:42
I carry my spare G-17 mag in a Comp-Tac IWB mag holster.
I carry 2 Wilson Elite 8rd in a Sparks Dbl IWB mag pouch.
Carrying Mags IWB is far more uncomfortable than carrying a Pistol IWB
Both my mag holders have copious amounts of Moleskin on them, to cut down
on abrasion.

Mark9Fogger
01-09-2013, 17:07
I always carry at least one spare mag in a kydex mag pouch by DSG Arms. If I feel the need to carry two mags, I use a kydex double mag pouch by the same company or a leather snap-on double mag pouch by TTGunleather.

SCmasterblaster
01-09-2013, 18:55
that my spare mag is very hard to get out while sitting. I guess that I'll stand up to shoot.

JPage
01-09-2013, 22:46
I carry my spare G-17 mag in a Comp-Tac IWB mag holster.
I carry 2 Wilson Elite 8rd in a Sparks Dbl IWB mag pouch.
Carrying Mags IWB is far more uncomfortable than carrying a Pistol IWB
Both my mag holders have copious amounts of Moleskin on them, to cut down
on abrasion.

How would you rate the comp tac IWB mag holder?

Sent from my Obama iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanBDawg
01-09-2013, 22:54
I carry my spare mag in my left pocket.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

ashecht
01-10-2013, 07:51
I used to use a knife type pouch for spare mag for S&W 39 (9mm single stack) Course yrs ago half the guys I saw had a knife in leather, or fiber holder.

I use a simple nylon holder with a flap that goes over the top of the mag with Velcro, clipped on belt. Nobody ever knows what it is

Bren
01-10-2013, 08:05
I am looking for ideas to carry a spare mag IWB. I carry enough stuff in my pockets day to day. What is out there that works well? I carry a G19

Depends on what I carry, how I carry and where I'm going. For my Glock in a shoulder holster, I carry 2 magazines in the off side pouch - same gun on my belt, I carry no magazines or, if it's a subcompact, maybe 1 magazine in my pocket. Walther PPK/S on my belt, I carry 1 magazine in a belt clip pouch I made. Revolver, i carry a speedloader or loose rounds in my pocket.

If I was carrying a Glock 19 as a routine, daily carry gun, I'd carry the magazine in the glove compartment of my car.

wallytoo
01-10-2013, 08:41
G17. Two spare mags in Blackhawk double magazine holder. My wife: G19. Two spare G17 mags in Blackhawk double magazine holder.

At church, our row is well defended.

Darkangel1846
01-10-2013, 08:57

In the camping section at WalMart I found a small belt case for sun glasses, extra mag fits in there very nicely and no one know. cost 5 bucks:wavey:

SCmasterblaster
01-10-2013, 12:04
I just put my spare G17 mag into the sock of my left foot. It feels nice.

GasTurbine
01-11-2013, 09:15

If you cant get the job down with 16 rounds, youre already in over your head.

samurairabbi
01-11-2013, 09:45
If you cant get the job down with 16 rounds, youre already in over your head.

The Glock mag is reliable, but it is the WEAKEST link in the Glock function chain. By a happy circumstance, it is the one component in that chain that can be INSTANTLY replaced ... if one is instantly available! Carry an extra; rounds 2 thru 16 are useless if the mag can't feed them.

GasTurbine
01-11-2013, 10:38
Properly maintaining your mags can make them just as reliable as the gun. Replacing worn springs and followers, and inspecting/measuring feed lips to spec, you will never have a problem.

Orive 8
01-11-2013, 15:26
EDC Glock 19, almost exclusively in a Kramer OWB horsehide belt scabbard with 1 spare mag in a Kramer single mag pouch. (When I need more concealment, I'll switch to one of my IWB holsters - Comp Tac CTAC, Sparks SSII, FIST, Blade Tech Nano or Kramer IWB)

Always carry 1 spare mag though.

My wife's current EDC gun is a Glock 26 in a FIST ultra-thin IWB holster, always with 1 spare mag. She uses a Comp Tac single mag pouch.

Mr Spock
01-11-2013, 15:49
Properly maintaining your mags can make them just as reliable as the gun. Replacing worn springs and followers, and inspecting/measuring feed lips to spec, you will never have a problem.

There are real world accounts of guns being banged against a wall, car, or ground (even while in a holster) and having the baseplate pop off the loaded mag. Stuff happens, so a spare is always a good thing.

To say you'll never have a problem ignores circumstances other than the mag itself.

JimBianchi
01-11-2013, 16:20
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa366/ThePhotoOp/001-1_zps916a583d.jpg

Made my own single mag carrier for my Kahr K9.

I also made one for the G26, 12rd spare I carry when I carry the GLOCK, which is not often any more.

samurairabbi
01-11-2013, 16:24
In any system rated as reliable, not all the parts in that reliable system will be rated EQUALLY reliable; certain items may be less so, even though the system can still be reliable ENOUGH with such items in it. The mag spring is such a "weakest link" item.

Fortunately, the mag containing that spring can be INSTANTLY replaced in a crisis situation. Having a spare mag is an easily tolerated hedge against this longshot chance.

chilnbloc
01-20-2013, 08:19
So I am looking for a leather man's case for my glock 22 mag. does anyone know the exact one to get or is it generally all the same?

SCmasterblaster
01-21-2013, 10:03
http://magills.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_6785_image_400x600__shadow.jpg
If you donít mind ankle carry (I donít).

Iíve had mine for a few years and I wear it when I canít wear a mag pouch on my belt.

Usually I just carry one magazine in it to minimize the weight though, but thatís just me.

Magills has it for $34.95

http://magills.com/pgroup_descrip/312_Magazine+Holsters/6785_Ankle+Magazine+Pouch/?mode=image

I wonder how my blocky G17 mags would work in these?

Cream Soda Kid
01-21-2013, 14:44
I wonder how my blocky G17 mags would work in these?
Hey there MasterBlaster.

Your G17 magazines will work fine. I usually carry a G19 or a G26 pistol, my spares are usually G17 magazines. The only issue I have with them is the weight can be a drag at the end of the day. (I have severe arthritis). On bad days, when I use this carrier, I will either carry just one G17 magazine or I'll drop down to the 15 round G19, or even the 10-12 round plus G26 magazine.

This carrier is universal, it holds single stack or double stack magazines well.

ChiTownPicaro
01-22-2013, 03:33
I carry mine in a pair of single Comp-Tac magazine holders.

warriorking
01-22-2013, 13:29
:wow:Basically I feel if I need more than 14 rounds from my Glock 23( 13 in mag- 1 in the chamber) then I need to get as far away as possible from the encounter...

Hooch0903
01-22-2013, 13:41
Typically I don't, but if I'm working somewhere I think I might need it I have a spare in my truck console I keep stuffed in an old leatherman or Gerber multi tool pouch. Throw it on my belt, usually upside down, and go to work...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pupcuss27
01-22-2013, 14:19
http://www.dalefrickeholsters.com/products.php

^^Dale Fricke makes the best Kydex holsters & mag pouches that are available.

My Fricke magazine pouch for a G17 mag is his horizontal design, for a right handed operator. Call Dale for this horizontal crafted design. He will custom design Kydex for any firearm produced.

PUP