Adivice? Adding garage to house, moving electrical meter? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adivice? Adding garage to house, moving electrical meter?

LAWDOGKMS
01-02-2013, 22:25
Guys,

Advice/opinions please..

We're ready to expand on our house, and with a shallow backyard, and a septic system on the other end, the garage side or going up is the only option..

What "I'd like" to do, is convert the existing 2 car garage into a big media room/theater/lounge..and build a 3 car garage onto the end of the existing garage..

One of the first roadblocks I see is the electrical meter..

Is it a huge nightmare/ expense to move one like the one in my photo?

And...The concrete will, have to be busted up anyway...and I can't see any reason why the breaker panel on the other side of the wall couldn't stay where it is..

I really need it moved, even if it costs $1500....but I would have to draw the line somewhere...

There are other issues too like the sprinkler controller under the green lid under the meter, which, once the concrete is up can be moved out into the yard..

And the need to build a retaining wall, bring in dirt etc...to add more level slab..

I'd like to get the retaining wall, driveway repoured and garage built for $35K...and use the rest of my $$ for the media room renovation..

Do-able?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lawdog1971/7eede687b1f8c2a7980f0f1fa4ec5e75.jpg

Trapped_in_Kali
01-02-2013, 22:38
Step 1 is call your power company and get a "Meter Spotter" out to tell you where they want it.
2 You dig up the underground, Install the new meter assembly in the new location and run conduit & wires to old location from new location to use the old meter location as a junction box, have the power co disconnect the power, re route the conduit to the new meter, re-run the power feeders and re connect.
Not as big a job as it sounds but will need to be permitted and inspected.

waawaaweenie
01-02-2013, 22:39
I can't believe they put it there in the first place. it would have been a lot easier to move before pouring all that nice new concrete too.

it looks like a sub box, kinda small, is it just for the garage? if so it will be cheaper to move since there will be less rewiring as I don't believe any utility codes will allow wire splicing and new wires will have to be run

I am no expert, just giving my view. good luck

.264 magnum
01-02-2013, 22:43
Step 1 is call your power company and get a "Meter Spotter" out to tell you where they want it.
2 You dig up the underground, Install the new meter assembly in the new location and run conduit & wires to old location from new location to use the old meter location as a junction box, have the power co disconnect the power, re route the conduit to the new meter, re-run the power feeders and re connect.
Not as big a job as it sounds but will need to be permitted and inspected.

Re this and to the OP.

I buried an overhead electrical service last year ~ 60 ft. - $4,400.00.

I wanted to move my meter too, but passed as the estimate was another $7,300.00.

ETA - get the utility co. out there to walk you through what they will do and what they won't and their associated requirements.

davew83
01-02-2013, 22:46
I'd like to get the retaining wall, driveway repoured and garage built for $35K...and use the rest of my $$ for the media room renovation..

Do-able?

How much work are/can you do yourself?

LAWDOGKMS
01-02-2013, 22:53
How much work are/can you do yourself?

Well...I can't frame worth a crap..can't do concrete..and am scared of electricity..

I could move dirt around and most demo that needs done...pretty lame huh?

LAWDOGKMS
01-02-2013, 22:55
I can't believe they put it there in the first place. it would have been a lot easier to move before pouring all that nice new concrete too.

it looks like a sub box, kinda small, is it just for the garage? if so it will be cheaper to move since there will be less rewiring as I don't believe any utility codes will allow wire splicing and new wires will have to be run

I am no expert, just giving my view. good luck

It's the only power meter..

BobbyS
01-02-2013, 22:59
In some areas it is mandated to be in front of the house in newer construction.

robin303
01-02-2013, 23:57
Just where are you in TX. :dunno: I do this for a living. :supergrin:

TX OMFS
01-03-2013, 00:24
For $35k you better learn to frame!

Check out www.garagejournal.com. It's a forum for handymen and has a room devoted to electric.

LAWDOGKMS
01-03-2013, 06:23
Just where are you in TX. :dunno: I do this for a living. :supergrin:

Between Dallas and Austin..

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 06:29
We're looking at a sizable addition and some renovation as well. To quote my contractor: "Anything is possible if you're willing to pay for it."

VC-Racing
01-03-2013, 06:37
For $35k you better learn to frame!

Check out www.garagejournal.com. It's a forum for handymen and has a room devoted to electric.

+1. $35g might get the elect,demo and foundation work and maybe material.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

LAWDOGKMS
01-03-2013, 06:46

Thanks for the input... I'll be talking to the framer that did my last project today..

LAWDOGKMS
01-03-2013, 06:51

Ok....for those if you in the know..how much (I know, lots of variables, just random ballpark to attach simple 3 car garage)...would you expect a project like this to cost?

TX OMFS
01-03-2013, 07:30
Ok....for those if you in the know..how much (I know, lots of variables, just random ballpark to attach simple 3 car garage)...would you expect a project like this to cost?

I'd ballpark a garage, new construction, for about $80-90/sqft for a basic set-up and $100-120 depending on how fancy. An addition will probably start at $120 and go up for everything (demo and rebuild).

Baba Louie
01-03-2013, 07:45
Ok....for those if you in the know..how much (I know, lots of variables, just random ballpark to attach simple 3 car garage)...would you expect a project like this to cost?Dang TX OMFS, your prices are big in Texas. I guess everything is out thataway. :supergrin:
To contract it out... here in Las Vegas I'd budget approx $45-55/s.f. ballpark mind you. Don't know your local pricing or other variables.
Conc $5/sf
Framing $15/sf
Roofing $7.50/sf
Ext Fin $5+/sf (siding is one thing, stucco another, brick yet another hence the variable)
Int Fin $3/sf (optional but for the 1-hr fire rated separation wall against any adjacent living space)
Elec $7/sf (more labor intensive than material, if meter is being moved add ?$?)
Dr/Wind'w $5/sf
Add 15% for Contractor

Of course, it'd be nice to have some plans in front of me to do a valid takeoff.

TX OMFS
01-03-2013, 07:59
Dang TX OMFS, your prices are big in Texas. I guess everything is out thataway. :supergrin:

Baba Louie, I'll defer to you as the expert. I'm not a contractor, just a retired framer and know-it-all. :freak:

My prices are based on some ballparks I got for remodeling my own house and what I've seen new construction selling for around here. However, a garage is probably cheaper than the addition/remodel I am considering.

I would still bet the OP's project is going to be more than $35k for a turn-key job.

Baba Louie
01-03-2013, 08:22
I would still bet the OP's project is going to be more than $35k for a turn-key job.Probably right TX. Not much housing going on here in Vegas, so people are kinda "hungry", but the few contractors I work with have been giving me their input on pricing as of late, most using mexican crews to keep labor prices down.

LAWDOG might want to see if a GC can do the roughin skeleton work and do as much labor himself and/or sub out finish work. Have the roofing done by a pro who will warranty at the minimum.

A one time owner builder does have problems getting things done cheaper than a GC or developer doing 6 - 10 houses annually with known subs & suppliers as they know there'll be more work to come from someone doing several jobs down the immediate pike and can price accordingly.

Right now, Elko is sorta booming what with gold prices up. A GC/Developer we work with there is doing 1600+ sf homes at approx $75/sf and selling them for about $100/sf. Well, now that the winter has set in, things slow down up there till the ground thaws, but you get the drift. He has 32 homes planned for 2013 and we all think that a "Big Thing" nowadays. A far cry from 5-10 years back here in the lower end of the State...

Hines57
01-03-2013, 09:04
Be interested to see how they could tie into the hip roof.
Converting the garage into the media room means that the media room is going to be main walkway to and from the house. Carrying groceries, kids coming and going,etc.

LAWDOGKMS
01-03-2013, 09:39
Converting the garage into the media room means that the media room is going to be main walkway to and from the house. Carrying groceries, kids coming and going,etc.

I agree...I just don't know where else to expand..

TX OMFS
01-03-2013, 10:07

Extend the ridge over the existing garage to go over the new garage and move the hip to the end of the new garage. Lots of work. The old decking can remaing in place but there would be less weight on the structure if you remove it. Leaving it in place means you can't go between the two attics unless you at least cut an access hole.

Baba Louie
01-03-2013, 10:34
Converting the garage into the media room means that the media room is going to be main walkway to and from the house. Carrying groceries, kids coming and going,etc.Tying into the hip is relatively easy with some frame over. Walking thru the media room is also not really a problem as it will more than likely adjoin the kitchen (if the existing garage is designed such now) and will become a super family/great room/kitchen, pretty much the heart of a house, party, large gathering sorta space.

Not knowing the space layout I can't really say, but designing buildings over the years, both commercial or residential, I learned everything is a trade off or compromise to some degree unless you're richer than Midas and even then some things just need to go where they best lay out based on whatcha got to work with, be it budget, site or existing facilities.

Just based on your one photo LAWDOG, you could easily build a detached garage with adjoining breezeway to your existing mancave, infill the existing garage door, level the exist'g garage floor, call it good. IF, site size allows what with setbacks and such. This might leave your meter alone and accessible to power company, etc from the outside and save you some moola in so doing.

A 3 car garage would typically be 30 ft wide by 24 ft deep. A 2 car, 20 ft+/- by 24 ft. Build it 5 ft from existing house w/ breezeway connector portico. Again, don't know your sideyard setbacks or how much space you have to work with. Might be 5 ft or 10 ft typical (here anyway depending on Zoning R1 (typ SFR tract house) or RE (res estate 1/2 acre lot min)).

Just some thoughts. As others have said, throw enough money at the problem and you'll find or build a solution. My clients are cheap, so I tell them, it's better to spend money on paper drawing up ideas than change things during construction. Just keep it simple. Sketch up some ideas on grid paper to scale (e.g., 1/4" = 1'-0"), show it/them to a builder or three, agree on one design, get whatever engineering done your bldg dept requires (here it is civil/survey for site grading, struc eng for foundation/framing/shear and a soils Geo-Tech report for anything over 600 sf), talk to your banker, then... commence the PITA. :supergrin:

stevemc
01-03-2013, 11:16
Not sure how it is in TX, but here in Chicago you have to have an inspector from the utility company involved with the meter move and they will not come out without a permit number for the electric. I can't believe they put that eyesore there on such a nice looking place. Also, if you leave the panel where it is, you may have to put a breaker/DC at the new meter due to a rule about running power inside the residence without protection (I think 5 feet is the max.) You definitely want to call the local inspector on this. BTW, what type of equipment are you looking at for your entertainment room? I happened to be at a store this morning and saw a controller made by URC that looked pretty cool.