Paramedics, Firefighters Weigh Pros And Cons Of Being Armed On The Job [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Paramedics, Firefighters Weigh Pros And Cons Of Being Armed On The Job

HerrGlock
01-03-2013, 02:01
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/02/columbus-arming-medics-debate.html

nursetim
01-03-2013, 04:13
Public safety officers. Police/fire/EMS cross trained.

Bruce M
01-03-2013, 05:44
Tough choice especially if arming them increases assaults on them.

Averageman
01-03-2013, 05:52
My Brother became a LEO after leaving the Air Force.
He didn't enjoy the small town Law Enforcement job he had and went in to Private Security for a Major Private Mining Company.
Now he works as Security for the Mine and as an EMT. He also serves as an EMT for local Communities on his days off.
I know he carries at work, I'm pretty sure he carries on his side jobs.
I dont see a reason why these guys aren't better protected.

fireguy129
01-03-2013, 06:21
I can say for my instance, I'd pass. We can't have a 2 car wreck without cops from 4 municipalities showing up. We've got enough training requirements that we have to do without adding in firearms training.

Lior
01-03-2013, 06:40
Israeli ambulance crews and firemen have the option of being armed and many carry sidearms on duty. It's no big deal.

John Rambo
01-03-2013, 06:48
I asked this question a while back on here and the overwhelming response was NO, they do not want to be armed with a gun while on the job.

beatcop
01-03-2013, 07:20
Israeli ambulance crews and firemen have the option of being armed and many carry sidearms on duty. It's no big deal.

It's apples and oranges here. You generally are prohibited from carrying on duty unless you are "sworn" law enforcement...meaning statutorily authorized to use force in the course of enforcing laws.

Whether some guys choose to arm themselves is another story. Body armor might be a good start.

gwalchmai
01-03-2013, 07:22
I'd say it should be up to the individual.

DragonRider
01-03-2013, 16:06
I'd say let'm choose. You want the cert, go for it. Only issue I see is storage if your heading into a structure fire.

Resqu2
01-03-2013, 17:21
I never leave the house unarmed, I'm on a rural Dept and several of us carry, meetings, calls, just about everywhere. We all have carry permits and carry on calls for the same reason you and I carry every other day. We do not pretend to be police on a call and no one would know any of us are armed. For the record I'm not for arming Fire/Rescue for any reason other than an individual wanting to protect their self as they would on any other day of the week.

Resqu2
01-03-2013, 17:24
I'd say let'm choose. You want the cert, go for it. Only issue I see is storage if your heading into a structure fire.

If its that hot to cause problems then we got other problems.

PhantomF4E
01-03-2013, 17:37
Choice-Training- God Bless your choice either way...

beatcop
01-03-2013, 18:17
It's a matter of indemnification and statutory powers...ems usually has neither. You take your pistol out, acting as an agent of the State, county, etc...you have to have the authority to back up your actions, otherwise someone sues you and wins....in the city/towns eyes they may not care about you being sued, but they don't want to risk a suit against a municipality.

Gallium
01-03-2013, 18:40
It's a matter of indemnification and statutory powers...ems usually has neither. You take your pistol out, acting as an agent of the State, county, etc...you have to have the authority to back up your actions, otherwise someone sues you and wins....in the city/towns eyes they may not care about you being sued, but they don't want to risk a suit against a municipality.

The answer:
I never leave the house unarmed, I'm on a rural Dept and several of us carry, meetings, calls, just about everywhere. We all have carry permits and carry on calls for the same reason you and I carry every other day. We do not pretend to be police on a call and no one would know any of us are armed. For the record I'm not for arming Fire/Rescue for any reason other than an individual wanting to protect their self as they would on any other day of the week.

janice6
01-03-2013, 18:47
All I can say is that I'm sorry you guys are being forced into considering this by recent events. You gotta do what you gotta do. GL.

Cavalry Doc
01-03-2013, 18:48

How could that actually happen? Discrete carrying methods just give them an ability to protect themselves.

Being armed, or having the potential of being armed decreases assaults. Thugs, some of them at least, have a little self preservation instinct.

nursetim
01-03-2013, 19:23
How could that actually happen? Discrete carrying methods just give them an ability to protect themselves.

Being armed, or having the potential of being armed decreases assaults. Thugs, some of them at least, have a little self preservation instinct.

Quoted for truth. I got a pass from killers because I was the only help they were going to get.

jrpro130
01-03-2013, 19:33
I work for a quite busy career fire dept in south florida...LOTS of crime. We get put in very unsafe situations daily WITHOUT pd there. They respond to all priority calls with us, but sometimes it may not come in as a priority (domestic/overdose/poss sig 7, etc) and there is really something going on. Sometimes things escalate quickly, maybe PD is not even aware of the situation. It always is that when they are there we never need them, and when we need them they aren't there.

I would love to at least be able to carry concealed...

But prefer open carry. It would be a little tricky getting dressed out (bunker gear), BUT I can't tell you how many times I wish I was carrying.

Now to make this even more difficult, we have a SWAT medic program, and we are being trained as reserve police officers, which allows us to carry and assist officers...BUT our department won't let us carry while working on shift, only when assisting the swat team.

At the least, in the next few years we are going to have to wear bullet proof vests as fire/rescue departments...sad it's come to that but very true...

stevelyn
01-03-2013, 19:41
In addition to being a cop, I'm also a volunteer FF driver/engineer. The down side I see to being armed is having to put on all your other gear.

I think the best option would be for one or two crew to hang back in a position of advantage and act as designated marksmen or roving security covering everyone else exposed on the fireground until you can figure out whether the area is secure.

You sound like Feinswine and the Brady pukes. :steamed:

Please explain how being armed will increase assaults. :upeyes:

4Rules
01-03-2013, 20:11

He's not talking about heat exposure. He's suggesting - and correctly so, in my estimation - that many firefighters would prefer not to have a firearm (inside their waistband) directly underneath their SCBA harness, because doing so could be a very painful experience. These same firefighters might want to be able to quickly stow their pistol before donning full PPE.

jrpro130
01-03-2013, 21:39
Have a safe on the truck just like we store our Knox box keys. Simple as that. Gun goes in when you bunk out. It would be pretty uncomfortable under bunker gear

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk

CAcop
01-04-2013, 00:28
Public safety officers. Police/fire/EMS cross trained.

Sunnyvale DPS is fire and police under one roof. I think it may be the wave of the future considering the staffing issues due to budgets.

Take my city for example: at 0300 there are a minimum of 12 fire fighters racked out while minimum there are 3 officers working the streets.

If we worked like Sunnyvale there would only be 8 people racked out and 7 out on the streets.

Cavalry Doc
01-04-2013, 06:48
Quoted for truth. I got a pass from killers because I was the only help they were going to get.

And you would still be the only help they would get if you had a CCW. Not all killers are rational. And if you are a first responder, have you ever had a bad guy threaten you if their friend died? I have. Of course that guy ended up on the ground hog tied with zip strips. Different rules of engagement in foreign lands. Every emergency call I went on outside of the country, and every clinic I held in remote villages, I and my medics were armed. That probably decreased the possibility of me becoming a hostage. Being armed never caused a problem, except for one UNHCR nurse that was suffering from an acute granola overdose.

TJ Superfly
01-04-2013, 07:37
We usually have cops on the scene before we show up on fire calls. On medicals we usually arrive long before police. On a fire call if somebody has the drop on you, you'd have no chance. In my opinion let the cops do their job and we should stick to putting fires out.

fireguy129
01-04-2013, 08:05
I thought when I licensed a new ambulance, I had to have a copy of our no weapons policy when we were inspected. That would have been a state DOH requirement, not an association requirement. Still looking to verify that though.

IhRedrider
01-04-2013, 08:06
Why is this even a question?

We (all that are not on the gubment teat) spend most of our waking hours at, or on the way to work. Why should any of us be denied our right to protect ourselves?

DragonRider
01-04-2013, 08:45

What I meant was where will the lockbox fit on the fire truck for them to strap on/strap off.