Talking to Other Parents About Guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talking to Other Parents About Guns

HerrGlock
01-03-2013, 02:06
http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/talking-to-other-parents-about-guns/

Baba Louie
01-03-2013, 06:05
...and furthermore, we have no knives, forks, baseball bats, candlesticks, caustic cleaning supplies, plastic bags, insecticides, pharmaceuticals, old refrigerators, swimming pool or a TV either. :whistling:

gwalchmai
01-03-2013, 06:46
I have no problem with Holly's essay. I agree with her concerns and I encourage parents to ask that question. My response would be "Yes, there are potentially dangerous articles in my home which I responsibly store, such as knives, prescription drugs, firearms, and chemicals. While your child is visiting my home I will protect him as I would my own child, just as I am sure you would do." This should then be an opportunity to discuss child safety in general.

RussP
01-03-2013, 07:39
I have no problem with Holly's essay. I agree with her concerns and I encourage parents to ask that question. My response would be "Yes, there are potentially dangerous articles in my home which I responsibly store, such as knives, prescription drugs, firearms, and chemicals. While your child is visiting my home I will protect him as I would my own child, just as I am sure you would do." This should then be an opportunity to discuss child safety in general.That's good, that's simple. :thumbsup:

russoj429
01-03-2013, 07:48
Not only have my husband and I never talked to them about what to do if they find a gun at a friendís or relativeís house, we have never talked to them about guns, or gun safety, at all.

quote taken from article.

one of the worst things to do is not talk to your kids about the potential dangers of guns and gun safety.

RedTop
01-03-2013, 07:57
Some of the comments below that article are sickening.

I am one of those jackbooted thugs who would love to take everyone's guns away. I recognize that I CAN'T, of course, but I firmly believe the world would be a safer place without them. I do not want my children playing in a house where there are guns, locked away, separated from the ammo, whatever. We have even told their grandmother that they will not be spending time alone at her house until she ditches her late husband's gun collection.

My children's preschool was located across the street from a pawn shop that advertised that it had guns. Every time we drove past the place, we reiterated that guns are bad, you stay away from guns, you don't touch them, they are designed to KILL.

Bottom line: I hate guns, don't want my kids around them, and don't really care if my other' parents are offended by that sentiment.