Disposing of Ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of Ammo?

TX OMFS
01-03-2013, 08:02
I've got some crap .44 mag gun-show ammo that I'm afraid is going to KB my S&W if I keep shooting it. How do I get rid of it? There's probably about 30 rounds.

The young, inexperienced guy at my LGS just stared at me.
My brother-in-law recommended a black bag and a random dumpster...:whistling: (PS - I would never do that)

Glockdude1
01-03-2013, 08:04
Re-loads?

If not, I say shoot them. If not, give them to a re-loader and have him use a bullet puller and check the powder.

:cool:

HerrGlock
01-03-2013, 08:08
Pull 'em and reload the casings. Get a single stage and learn how starting with those :)

RichJ
01-03-2013, 08:17
Use them for .22 targets and see what happens.

gwalchmai
01-03-2013, 08:29
I'd pull them. However, there is really no danger in tossing them into the trash.

Hummer
01-03-2013, 08:31
Why do you suspect a problem, are they hotter than factory rounds?

As suggested, give them to a reloader, or send them to me, I reload .44 mag. I'd pull the bullets, measure the powder and tell you what I find... :wavey:

ron59
01-03-2013, 09:11
trash is more than fine.

sheriff733
01-03-2013, 09:25
trash is more than fine.

This is what I do.

Adjuster
01-03-2013, 09:39
Trash or the local body of water.

/

Psychman
01-03-2013, 09:47
buy a 25 buck bullet puller. Separate the componants, dump the powder in your back yard garden, fire the primers in your gun and dump the rest.

MulletLoad
01-03-2013, 09:52
Check the internet for LA or NY ammo buy back programs. Take and trip and sell it to pay for your trip ;)

TX OMFS
01-03-2013, 10:02
Check the internet for LA or NY ammo buy back programs. Take and trip and sell it to pay for your trip ;)

I would do this^ if their smell didn't nauseate me.

I know in my head that the trash is probably fine but have a hard time just throwing them in. The body of water idea and/or buying a bullet puller may have merits.

I bought them years ago from a booth at a gun show. I think the guy reloaded them himself. When I fire them the casings are wedged into the cylinder so tight I have to beat them out (gently) and I've had problems w/ the cylinder not wanting to disengage and swing out of the frame.

I don't buy ammo from "some guy" ever since this happened.

SC Tiger
01-03-2013, 10:03
buy a 25 buck bullet puller. Separate the componants, dump the powder in your back yard garden, fire the primers in your gun and dump the rest.

My puller wasn't even that much but it's a hammer-style.

Do you know anyone that has a Ruger or TC Contender that may want them? Those two can take massive pressures - much more than a Smith. I'm not saying I would purposly overload rounds for them but they can handle a lot.

Not that the Smith is weak by any means, mind you...

If you disassemble the rounds dispose of the powder and fire and dispose of the primers. Once the bullets and power is out you can pop the primers in your gun in your garage or back yard. There is no way to know which primer or powder the person who made the rounds used, so you can't safely reuse it.

SC Tiger
01-03-2013, 10:04

I know in my head that the trash is probably fine but have a hard time just throwing them in. The body of water idea and/or buying a bullet puller may have merits.

I bought them years ago from a booth at a gun show. I think the guy reloaded them himself. When I fire them the casings are wedged into the cylinder so tight I have to beat them out (gently) and I've had problems w/ the cylinder not wanting to disengage and swing out of the frame.

Yeah, don't shoot any more of those.

(I read this after posting my previous post).

janice6
01-03-2013, 10:06
Oh, the horrors. Do not throw it away. It is dangerous and just looking for an unfortunate vicitum to explode in/on.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8805022.Fossgate_bullet_find_mystery/

MtBaldy
01-03-2013, 10:09
I know in my head that the trash is probably fine but have a hard time just throwing them in. .

How many do you have? If it's not too many and you have an outdoor burn pit or drum, well away from the house, you might want to burn them. They'll cook off but the casings burst and the bullet doesn't go anywhere very far or fast. I would not be too close to the fire when they are cooking off.

Me? I would just throw them in the trash.

JMS
01-03-2013, 10:39
Why do you suspect a problem, are they hotter than factory rounds?

As suggested, give them to a reloader, or send them to me, I reload .44 mag. I'd pull the bullets, measure the powder and tell you what I find... :wavey:

If shipping wasn't too expensive I'd send them to him ^^^

clint curtis
01-03-2013, 11:51
Send it to Chicago, I hear they are running low.

Osborne
01-03-2013, 12:03
You wouldn't have to worry about a kaboom if you were shooting a ruger and not a smith & Wesson

GlocknSpiehl
01-03-2013, 12:05
You could take them to your range. Most ranges I've been to have bins for dud rounds that they usually pull and reload.

Glock20 10mm
01-03-2013, 12:48
Well... if you're really bored you could toss it into the fire! That'll liven things up a bit!

KIDDING! Don't do that!!! Others have made great suggestions I would follow.

Mythbusters - Bullets Thrown Onto Campfire - Are They Lethal? - YouTube

Bren
01-03-2013, 12:53
I've got some crap .44 mag gun-show ammo that I'm afraid is going to KB my S&W if I keep shooting it. How do I get rid of it? There's probably about 30 rounds.

The young, inexperienced guy at my LGS just stared at me.
My brother-in-law recommended a black bag and a random dumpster...:whistling: (PS - I would never do that)

I throw it in my trash can - works for 7.62x39 all the way to 300 Win Mag. I nearly threw away of bunch of Garand clips loaded with military 30.06, but it turns out a guy was willing to give me m0oney for them.

banger
01-03-2013, 16:30
Personally, I would simply bury them...

Consider, they have been looking for Jimmy Hoffa for over 40 years, and have not foud him yet...

What do you think the chances of them finding your 30 cartridges are.

RenoF250
01-03-2013, 17:43
Oh, the horrors. Do not throw it away. It is dangerous and just looking for an unfortunate vicitum to explode in/on.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/8805022.Fossgate_bullet_find_mystery/

That makes me want to smuggle some 22LR into the UK and scatter it about just to make the little nancies nervous.

goldenlight
01-04-2013, 13:12

With so much signs of over pressure, it's probably wise NOT to shoot any more of them. Forty four magnum revolvers are fairly expensive.