Just a reminder - how private are your posts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder - how private are your posts?

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 11:58
I know emotions are running high over the topic of the second amendment. How you respond is purely up to you, assuming your response adheres to the rules of the forum. So I'm not attempting to lecture anyone on whether their responses are appropriate or not. I'm not a moderator...thank God...I wouldn't have the patience and time.

However I do think it is important to remind folks that if you think your posts are not being watched and or monitored, think again.

Here's just one example of something that I posted some time ago. The purpose in citing it again is just to remind you -
http://www.adl.org/extremism/Anti-Government-Extremism-Report.pdf

That's all. Hopefully folks recognize that I'm just trying to help. :wavey:

Dennis in MA
01-03-2013, 12:05
I'm facing the same thnig on FB. I grow tired of my weekly/bi-weekly check-in on what my daughters and friends are saying and finding vapid people writing vapid things.

Yesterday, my "Status Update" was Just clipped my toenails. AWESOME!

Later today, it's going to be POTTY POSTING!!!!!

Perhaps tomorrow will be Do you have any idea what I just coughed up #hopeimok

Those are tamed down from what I first wanted to post. LOL

Glock20 10mm
01-03-2013, 12:08
When you live in fear of your government you live in tyranny.

mgs
01-03-2013, 12:08
I know emotions are running high over the topic of the second amendment. How you respond is purely up to you, assuming your response adheres to the rules of the forum. So I'm not attempting to lecture anyone on whether their responses are appropriate or not. I'm not a moderator...thank God...I wouldn't have the patience and time.

However I do think it is important to remind folks that if you think your posts are not being watched and or monitored, think again.

Here's just one example of something that I posted some time ago. The purpose in citing it again is just to remind you -

Good reading if you ask me!

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 12:11

And I'm not suggesting that you go into hiding. I'm only suggesting that you may not be as anonymous as you think...or perhaps you know and don't care. Like I said, not trying to say "tone it down", or "change your ways"... I firmly believe in individual responsibility. You're responsible for your own actions. However the last time I posted this link, someone was surprised to see their username listed. Just don't want folks being surprised...that's all.

HerrGlock
01-03-2013, 12:14
I just make sure to give my Ex's information whenever there's personal information involved.

Much like I give her banking numbers to Nigerian scammers.

NeverMore1701
01-03-2013, 12:15
I'm under no illusions that anyone who reads my post couldn't show up at my door if they wanted to.

cowboywannabe
01-03-2013, 12:15
I just make sure to give my Ex's information whenever there's personal information involved.

i like you bro.:wavey:

Glock20 10mm
01-03-2013, 12:17
I found a post from Ragnar on the Infowars Web Site, March 26, 2010. in the document... wonder if it's our Ragnar.

“hamster” wrote on the Glock Talk Forums on March 25

Post by “Puppy” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010

Post by “dac1204” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010

Post by “holyjohnson” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010.

Glock20 10mm
01-03-2013, 12:18
And I'm not suggesting that you go into hiding. I'm only suggesting that you may not be as anonymous as you think...or perhaps you know and don't care. Like I said, not trying to say "tone it down", or "change your ways"... I firmly believe in individual responsibility. You're responsible for your own actions. However the last time I posted this link, someone was surprised to see their username listed. Just don't want folks being surprised...that's all.

Understood. And I accept responsibility for what I say. After all part of being an American is being responsible, accountable and ready to defend the freedoms and liberties we enjoy.

Sharkey
01-03-2013, 12:22

Excellent answer. WTF do I care that someone might monitor certain areas.
Really, this is what we have come to?
Violent criminals and real terrorists running around but you are going to check on what I say about the right to liberty?
The real problem is a complacent citizenry that doesn't care about a Constitutional govt. as long as they can play Xbox and watch TMZ.

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 12:50
Excellent answer. WTF do I care that someone might monitor certain areas.
Really, this is what we have come to?
Violent criminals and real terrorists running around but you are going to check on what I say about the right to liberty?
The real problem is a complacent citizenry that doesn't care about a Constitutional govt. as long as they can play Xbox and watch TMZ.

I doubt your posts (or mine) would rise to a level that would be deemed a concern worth monitoring.

Cybercowboy
01-03-2013, 12:57
I don't post things that I wouldn't say to a person's face. But yeah, those with a desire can find out a bunch about you.

.264 magnum
01-03-2013, 13:31

Exactly, internet posts = zero privacy.

The Habit
01-03-2013, 13:44
For those interested in enhancing their online privacy/anonymity, I might suggest a VPN subscription.

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-should-start-using-a-vpn-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one-for-your-needs

I'd recommend an off-shore service.

.264 magnum
01-03-2013, 13:54
For those interested in enhancing their online privacy/anonymity, I might suggest a VPN subscription.

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-should-start-using-a-vpn-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one-for-your-needs

I'd recommend an off-shore service.

1-10 scale how effective is that?

.264 magnum
01-03-2013, 13:56

While smoking a cigar in your best pink negligee' and black pumps. Your secret is out.

Bren
01-03-2013, 14:01
I'm an enemy of the ADL? Heck, I made their list long before Al Gore invented the internet.

On the Glock Talk Forums on March 25, “buckhunter3987” contradicted Boehner: “Well, actually it is…We did not form the republic through peaceful means.”

Criticizing “armchair revolutionaries,” “hamster” wrote on the Glock Talk Forums on March 25 that “I don’t think violence and destruction of property is the answer yet.”

“Maybe tar & feathering will come back into style.” Post by “Puppy” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010.

“While I don’t condone the acts of violence I can understand why people would act out that way. A lot of people are tired of being stepped on and abused. They quite simply are doing this to let the politicians know how they feel because the people really don’t have a voice anymore…Maybe violence (when no one gets hurt) will let them know that some of the people are tired and won’t be pushed around anymore.” Post by “dac1204” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010.

“…I wouldn’t put it past Liberals to do this to create an enemy to rally around and make the Tea Party people look like thugs.” Post by “holyjohnson” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010.

:rofl:

I'm pretty sure quoting the ADL quoting Glock Talk isn't a copyright violation.:rofl:

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 14:04
I'm an enemy of the ADL? Heck, I made their list long before Al Gore invented the internet.

I'm pretty sure quoting the ADL quoting Glock Talk isn't a copyright violation.:rofl:

Here's a kicker....one of the individuals named by the ADL was a contributor to the ADL :supergrin:

TBO
01-03-2013, 14:04

...or perhaps have issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Glock20 10mm
01-03-2013, 14:12
...or perhaps have issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Yeah, I have an issue with my government... I have issues with the TSA, the NDAA, Patriot Act I & II, engaging in an unsanctioned war against a sovereign nation that posed no credible threats, being lied to constantly by the leadership, Obamacare... the list goes on.

Yes, I take serious issue with these and many more blatant violations of our sovereign rights as citizens.

GunHo198
01-03-2013, 14:18
Yeah, I have an issue with my government... I have issues with the TSA, the NDAA, Patriot Act I & II, engaging in an unsanctioned war against a sovereign nation that posed no credible threats, being lied to constantly by the leadership, Obamacare... the list goes on.

Yes, I take serious issue with these and many more blatant violations of our sovereign rights as citizens.

I agree. To join the military, swear an oath to uphold the constitution, and do so on foreign soil is perfectly fine with our Government. But do so on our own soil and your accused of being an anarchist. :steamed:

Bren
01-03-2013, 14:23
Here's a kicker....one of the individuals named by the ADL was a contributor to the ADL :supergrin:

The ADL has in common with the ACLU that, while they have a stated purpose, it is beyond clear that their real purpose is just to advocate a left-wing agenda and use the power and legitimacy they get from their claimed purpose to fight the right and promote the left.

DanaT
01-03-2013, 14:46
Ever wonder if anyone on GT is under-cover agents monitoring people?

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 14:51

TBO.... he uses reverse psychology to monitor people. Constantly warning - don't talk to the police.

All kidding aside, I would fully expect that various websites are monitored in some manner to watch for potential threats from 'extremists'. How this is done, which sites, what is defined as 'extremist', etc...I have no idea. That's why I just say what I would say if I were sitting across from someone. Seems to be work for me.

vart
01-03-2013, 15:05
I'm certain that my posts are monitored by my work IT guys.

But, I'm not a violent, wife-abusing, drug-abusing, racist freak that is posting stupid stuff on the Net...

Friend of mine at work got into a little exchange on an internet forum while on break at work and used threatening and course language.

IT caught it and he was officially reprimanded...:shocked:

I'm very proud of how work safe GT is...

The Fist Of Goodness
01-03-2013, 15:09

What would be the point?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Glock20 10mm
01-03-2013, 15:10
http://www.criminaljusticeschools.org/blog/how-to-obtain-your-own-fbi-record

http://www.paralegaltraining.net/blog/ways-in-which-the-government-might-be-spying-on-you

http://www.aclu.org/spy-files

https://www.eff.org/nsa-spying

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/14/federal-government-reportedly-vastly-expands-big-data-spying-includes-innocent-citizens/

DanaT
01-03-2013, 15:12
What would be the point?

Kinda like watching a car crash.

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 15:15
$0.10 if you can identify TBO in this picture.

Nope...but I can spot a former member / SWAT / MMA Pro / Badass Extraordinaire. :supergrin:

Flying-Dutchman
01-03-2013, 15:42
Nope...but I can spot a former member / SWAT / MMA Pro / Badass Extraordinaire. :supergrin:
I believed that dude, maybe some was true…maybe not…what’s the difference…probably a 13 year old kid from NYC.

Makes you wonder how many of these personas on the forums are real.

ScottieG59
01-03-2013, 15:43
I do not do much social media at work. What I do has been authorized. I am care not to violate my non-disclosure agreement with my employer.

I work for the federal government and I have been getting background checks for over 30 years. The things that would cause problems for me do not include forums such as these.

Personally, I am a very strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms. If it were not in the Constitution, I would still believe in it.

This idea of the feds coming to take my guns and those of others legally owning them has me very upset too.

I think it endangers the freedom of the United States. I feel the registration of firearms has the purpose of establishing the means to confiscate weapons. I believe the government should not have the strength to subjugate the people. I do not accept there can be benevolent dictator. I do not trust anyone who asks me to disarm more than I already have.

Where I differ is that my actions are measured and thought out. I am sword to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, though my support is much more than an oath. I am also a believer in the law of the land. It is not some divine parchment; it contains the basic rules of the game in which I willingly play, that being, American Citizen.

History has shown me that a just government dies not fear the might if its citizens. I am not in full agreement with our founding fathers' distrust of a standing Army during peace. I accept that nationhood exists in a contested world in which peace may never be a reality. We need a standing Army even when wars are not being fought.

Anyway, I am often is sharp disagreement with the policies and actions of the government. This causes me no fear.

There are those with whom we associate online that see the government as an enemy of the people. Where I break from these people is what one is to do. I accept no scenario in which I would do harm to those performing their duties under the law.

Some among us do not have the same respect for the legal process and they do themselves and others harm to wander down the wrong path. These people may share my online virtual space, however I do not stand with them.

Mrs. VR
01-03-2013, 15:58
and one was on storm...nevermind.

I did a teeny bit of pruning, because I think this is a great reminder (not that anyone ever listens when I tell them, but still). Not that you should be AFRAID, but you should be AWARE.

I just saw this article today:

http://www.law.com/jsp/lawtechnologynews/PubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1202582974936&How_to_Understand_Social_Media_Evidence&et=editorial&bu=LTN&cn=20130103&src=EMC-Email&pt=Law+Technology+News&kw=How+to+Understand+Social+Media+Evidence&slreturn=20130003175751

concretefuzzynuts
01-03-2013, 16:01
Post slower.... I'm writing all this down.

JLB768
01-03-2013, 16:19
Anyone with an ouce of common sense, would know that a forum such as this would be looked in on. There are nuts everywhere, some people's keyboard fingers run 10 steps ahead of their brains.

dac1204
01-03-2013, 17:02
I found a post from Ragnar on the Infowars Web Site, March 26, 2010. in the document... wonder if it's our Ragnar.

“hamster” wrote on the Glock Talk Forums on March 25

Post by “Puppy” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010

Post by “dac1204” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010

Post by “holyjohnson” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010.

I'm famous everyone. Here is what I wrote, hardly against the evil government if you ask me.

“While I don’t condone the acts of violence I can understand why people would act out that way. A lot of people are tired of being stepped on and abused. They quite simply are doing this to let the politicians know how they feel because the people really don’t have a voice anymore…Maybe violence (when no one gets hurt) will let them know that some of the people are tired and won’t be pushed around anymore.” Post by “dac1204” on the Glock Talk Forums, March 25, 2010.

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 17:16
I'm famous everyone. Here is what I wrote, hardly against the evil government if you ask me.

That's funny. Have you seen this before or is this the first you heard of being famous with the ADL?

dac1204
01-03-2013, 17:28
That's funny. Have you seen this before or is this the first you heard of being famous with the ADL?

First I ever heard of it. Thanks for posting it. I kinda of remember posting it but do not remember what thread. They should have posted that too. Some one must not have a life if they can scour fourms looking for post.

GRIMLET
01-03-2013, 17:31

The legend of Tantrix LIVES !!!!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

The Habit
01-03-2013, 17:34
1-10 scale how effective is that?

If using an offshore provider, very effective; probably 9/10. Even with a US based provider, it is pretty solid but the risk is always present of a US provider caving to a subpoena.

This is not simply a paranoia fueled option. It really is simple common sense to encrypt your online communications... and, if a secondary benefit happens to be anonymity, so much the better.

rockabillyrider
01-03-2013, 17:46
My guess is that the Feds have their hands full just keeping an eye on the " AK Files ". I'm probably screwed just for logging in.

.264 magnum
01-03-2013, 17:57
If using an offshore provider, very effective; probably 9/10. Even with a US based provider, it is pretty solid but the risk is always present of a US provider caving to a subpoena.

This is not simply a paranoia fueled option. It really is simple common sense to encrypt your online communications... and, if a secondary benefit happens to be anonymity, so much the better.

Thanks.

itisbruno
01-03-2013, 21:09
I'm under no illusions that anyone who reads my post couldn't show up at my door if they wanted to.

I'm under no illusions that anyone reads my posts.

:dunno:

NeverMore1701
01-03-2013, 21:10
I'm under no illusions that anyone would want to visit you, even if they did read 'em!

itisbruno
01-03-2013, 21:12
I'm under no illusions that anyone would want to visit you, even if they did read 'em!

Well, I am pretty flatulent ...

M&P Shooter
01-03-2013, 21:15
My friends wife's sister stops over a lot to see them and always goes on their labtop while shes there to post on Facebook. One day she stopped by on the way to school(college)to steal some breakfast and checked in on Facebook, she forgot to log off and my friend is a major ball buster. He updated her status to the following..........OMG I just woke up and I'm covered from head to toe in diarrhea, it's even up my back. Heading to the shower before school, love you all:)

She went to school and had people on their knees laughing at her. She went ballistic later that day:rofl:

stevelyn
01-03-2013, 21:24
The ADL isn't what I would call reliable or objective. They tend to see thing the rest of us don't. I put them in the same catagory as I do the SPLC.

douggmc
01-03-2013, 21:37
https://www.torproject.org/

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

kirgi08
01-03-2013, 21:46
I'm under no illusions that anyone reads my posts.

:dunno:

I do,I'm waiting for Dieter ta consume you.

Well, I am pretty flatulent ...

That hot air hasta go somewhere.'08. :whistling:

:wavey:

*ASH*
01-03-2013, 21:49
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/265_11qdr_evil_zps99b6bf19.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/images1-15_zps9c8123d5.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/stupid-liberal-76217407506_zps31fc9da9.jpeg

c01
01-03-2013, 22:10
Post slower.... I'm writing all this down.

:rofl: The perfect cover. Nobody would suspect the guy with a squirrel humping his head. Love it.

D

oldman11
01-03-2013, 22:12
Well if Obama gets his way we'll be there.

Kilrain
01-04-2013, 00:15

This..........although odds are long and chances slim, it's generally not too hard to figure who someone is.

TactiCool
01-04-2013, 00:34
I always try good and hard to make my posts as PC as possible. Wouldn't want anyone to get offended, now would we? :whistling:

01-04-2013, 02:21
Posting anything online and expecting to be anonymous is just plain dumb.

Blast
01-04-2013, 02:57
Monitors? I'd best be careful.:nailbiting:

http://www.woophotos.com/wp-content/plugins/RSSPoster_PRO/cache/10f09_funny-pictures-151.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7b_Wh8aPhNQ/Ty_oZI-ULxI/AAAAAAAAAYs/ywYyQHg7BQs/s400/Los-Angeles-California-Car-Insurance-agents.jpg

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6942199040/h8E1B16B4/

:moonie:

jdavionic
01-04-2013, 06:54
I always try good and hard to make my posts as PC as possible. Wouldn't want anyone to get offended, now would we? :whistling:

Obviously I was not referring to this. I think you'd have a post count of zero if you were concerned about hurting someone's feelings.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

okie
01-04-2013, 07:04

This:patriot: