The Great Marijuana Myth: Is Driving High Dangerous? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Great Marijuana Myth: Is Driving High Dangerous?

TBO
01-03-2013, 12:04
The Great Marijuana Myth: Is Driving High Dangerous?

A recent study finds that drivers who smoke marijuana within a few hours of driving are more likely to get into an accident than sober drivers. Find out how much more.

http://blog.esurance.com/the-great-marijuana-myth/#.UOXV6HeGMwz

Dennis in MA
01-03-2013, 12:09
Wait. Driving high is dangerous???

The hell you s. . . anyone got any chips?

cowboywannabe
01-03-2013, 12:14
its just weed man.

Altaris
01-03-2013, 12:16
What an informative and useful study.

In other breaking news, did you guys hear that driving drunk leads to accidents? :wow:

NDCent
01-03-2013, 12:21
Someone needs to pull the male before the whole lot goes to seed, just sayin'.

Tongo
01-03-2013, 12:21
:faint:

Didn't read the story....but DUH! I bet they are less likely than someone who's had a few drinks before driving.

I'm all for legalization, but if you're going to smoke and drive you're as dumb as those that drink and drive.

John Rambo
01-03-2013, 12:40

A recent study finds that drivers who smoke marijuana within a few hours of driving are more likely to get into an accident than sober drivers. Find out how much more.

The Great Water Myth: Is Drowning Dangerous?

A recent study finds that people who drown while diving are more likely to die than those who don't. Find out how much more.

www.no-****-sherlock.com

Dubble-Tapper
01-03-2013, 12:42

A recent study finds that people who drown while diving are more likely to die than those who don't. Find out how much more.

www.no-****-sherlock.com (http://www.no-****-sherlock.com)

:rofl:

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 13:00
http://autoref.com/blog/2012/08/06/studies-show-driving-tired-bad-driving-drunk-sleepy/

How many here engage in driving tired?

Any guys on here pull an extra shift and call a cab for a ride home?

It’s difficult to gauge exactly how many accidents can be attributed to sleep deprivation every year because there is no test for it. But studies in England, Australia, and several European countries show that fatigue-related accidents make up 10-30% of all crashes.

An Australian research study found that 18-hours of sleeplessness is like driving at a .05 blood alcohol level and 24-hours of sleeplessness is like driving at a .10 blood alcohol level. So after a night without sleep, you’re driving capabilities are at a level where you shouldn’t be driving.

el_jewapo
01-03-2013, 13:08
Since when is this a great debate?

dango
01-03-2013, 13:13
MEMO : SELF- Don't break the seal on that milk or Oreo s until home !......Got it ! I forget things !..:dunno:

PS: Substitute , double shot (WILD-TURKEY) , beer but , no pot !
Got it ........!

sheriff733
01-03-2013, 13:14
But these aren't my pants though.

dango
01-03-2013, 13:21
But these aren't my pants though.

I have lost lost my shoes and woke up in some , un-mention-able
Places ! No , I don't think it was POT ! :shocked:

Grabbrass
01-03-2013, 13:40
Driving high is dangerous.

Driving drunk is also dangerous.

Driving after taking Nyquil or prescription hydrocodone is also dangerous.

NHTSA says the SFST battery applies to all manner of impairment due to intoxicating substances (alcohol, MJ, other street drugs, prescription drugs). So there's an established procedure, recognized by the courts in all jurisdictions, for establishing probable cause (at least) for an arrest for DUI whether it be due to alcohol, drugs, or a combination of substances.

What was the point you were trying to make? I don't think anyone, and especially not on GT, seriously believes that smoking marijuana doesn't get a person intoxicated. That's what the stuff is for.

series1811
01-03-2013, 13:53
I don't think anyone, and especially not on GT, seriously believes that smoking marijuana doesn't get a person intoxicated..

Really? Let's wait and see what get's posted. There are lots of marijuana users who believe that very thing.

Watch.

John Rambo
01-03-2013, 14:02
Really? Let's wait and see what get's posted. There are lots of marijuana users who believe that very thing.

Watch.

Well, guess I got proven wrong.

GLWyandotte
01-03-2013, 14:05
Of course it's dangerous, what with the scalding Taco Bell nacho cheese sauce dripping on your crotch an all.

PAGunner
01-03-2013, 14:05
I've always been a believer that marijuana should be legal as long as one wasn't driving. I know many, some low achievers some high functioning that smoke marijuana.

Since graduating medical school and becoming a Psychiatry resident my stance has changed dramatically. I now understand and accept the fact marijuana should be illegal. Most people can handle the weed without becoming psychotic, but I've been astonished at the number of patient's I've seen become psychotic after smoking weed and many even developing full blown schizophrenia.

Turns out evidence is starting to point toward some people being genetically predisposed to becoming psychotic after smoking.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/11/29/cannabis-induced-psychosis-may-be-in-the-genes/48289.html

PAGunner
01-03-2013, 14:09
And some of the irony in all this that I find is, I remember reading some stories surfacing that James Holmes smoked marijuana, possibly triggering his psychosis... Perhaps the Sandy Hook shooter smoked marijuana too leading to psychosis, I would not be surprised one bit. To think marijuana use could be playing a role in having our 2nd amendment rights restricted and infringed upon...

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 14:12

That's interesting, I've driven in that mental state frequently for several years now. Never been in an accident. My parents claim to have NEVER driven in that mental state. They've each been in a few accidents, my poor mother having just been the latest case a few weeks ago. So statistically as far as my family goes, driving SOBER has traditionally been more dangerous. Can't argue with facts.

Now I know by saying all this, the truth that is, ill be coming under a lot of fire. The fact of the matter is, high functioning users like myself don't get too intoxicated at all when we smoke. As someone with a nasty anxiety problem left over from the Army, this plant is a huge help in making life a little more tolerable.

Also, in before a mass of do-gooder replies, all along the lines of, "well, I don't live that life style so neither should you" flood this thread.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM

John Rambo
01-03-2013, 14:12
I've always been a believer that marijuana should be legal as long as one wasn't driving. I know many, some low achievers some high functioning that smoke marijuana.

Since graduating medical school and becoming a Psychiatry resident my stance has changed dramatically. I now understand and accept the fact marijuana should be illegal. Most people can handle the weed without becoming psychotic, but I've been astonished at the number of patient's I've seen become psychotic after smoking weed and many even developing full blown schizophrenia.

Turns out evidence is starting to point toward some people being genetically predisposed to becoming psychotic after smoking.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2012/11/29/cannabis-induced-psychosis-may-be-in-the-genes/48289.html

So....you're talking about the REEFER MADNESS, are you?! :rofl:

Let me give you a little free advice - you won't even have to buy a 600 dollar textbook to understand it. Anyone who smokes pot and goes bat**** didn't BECOME psychotic or DEVELOP schizophrenia. They were already ****ed in the head to begin with.

series1811
01-03-2013, 14:13
That's interesting, I've driven in that mental state frequently for several years now. Never been in an accident. My parents claim to have NEVER driven in that mental state. They've each been in a few accidents, my poor mother having just been the latest case a few weeks ago. So statistically as far as my family goes, driving SOBER has traditionally been more dangerous. Can't argue with facts.

See. That didn't take long.

muscogee
01-03-2013, 14:14

Profound revelations.
Were you smoking when you posted this?

SPIN2010
01-03-2013, 14:17
If we could just ban the air we breathe there would be no more accidents too, as air seems to be a the common thread for accidents. :upeyes:

PAGunner
01-03-2013, 14:20
So....you're talking about the REEFER MADNESS, are you?! :rofl:

Let me give you a little free advice - you won't even have to buy a 600 dollar textbook to understand it. Anyone who smokes pot and goes bat**** didn't BECOME psychotic or DEVELOP schizophrenia. They were already ****ed in the head to begin with.

I'm sharing my real world experience, and no these people weren't "blanked" in the head to begin with, that is why we obtain collateral information from family and friends. Believe what you want, but my experience is first hand.

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 14:22

You mad bro? :supergrin:

Its ok, ill just be here while you inevitably try to combat my life experience on the issue with something you heard on fox news. :wavey:

John Rambo
01-03-2013, 14:26
I'm sharing my real world experience, and no these people weren't "blanked" in the head to begin with, that is why we obtain collateral information from family and friends. Believe what you want, but my experience is first hand.

You're sharing your experiences with nutcases who have turned to drugs because they're nutcases at heart. And like an uninformed liberal on guns, you're blaming an object rather than the person.

You'd **** yourself if you knew how many of your instructors throughout college and med school smoked pot. It doesn't make people crazy. The very notion is so laughable that the Reefer Madness has become one of the biggest pop culture jokes associated with pot.

I'm telling you, as someone almost guaranteed to have way more firsthand experience than you dealing with pot users, your hypothesis is incorrect. You deal with psychos and nutcases. Thats what you do. Don't try to build an understanding of a subject based on that limited scope.

6StringGeek
01-03-2013, 14:41
:popcorn:

DanaT
01-03-2013, 14:55
Maybe the OP will give up the bong before driving now that there is a study.

DanaT
01-03-2013, 14:57
If we could just ban the air we breathe there would be no more accidents too, as air seems to be a the common thread for accidents. :upeyes:

We already went through this. Someone hasnt been able to show, by the basic statistical method of rejecting the null hypothesis, that these crime "studies" are valid.

wprebeck
01-03-2013, 14:57

Its ok, ill just be here while you inevitably try to combat my life experience on the issue with something you heard on fox news. :wavey:

That is so awesonely epic, I had to quote it.

Friendly tip -

You "might" want to review the history of the guy you're talking to. He's likely been around more marijuana in one drug bust, than you've ever seen...even on TV.

He's a retired federal agent, and a current local cop. But, you go right on and educate him on marijuana. :rofl:

syntaxerrorsix
01-03-2013, 15:00

Your experience is very unique according to available research.

Glock20 10mm
01-03-2013, 15:05
Uhh... life is dangerous. I mean after all none of us get out alive.

PAGunner
01-03-2013, 15:05
You're sharing your experiences with nutcases who have turned to drugs because they're nutcases at heart. And like an uninformed liberal on guns, you're blaming an object rather than the person.

You'd **** yourself if you knew how many of your instructors throughout college and med school smoked pot. It doesn't make people crazy. The very notion is so laughable that the Reefer Madness has become one of the biggest pop culture jokes associated with pot.

I'm telling you, as someone almost guaranteed to have way more firsthand experience than you dealing with pot users, your hypothesis is incorrect. You deal with psychos and nutcases. Thats what you do. Don't try to build an understanding of a subject based on that limited scope.

You don't have a clue about my scope and I'm amazed you don't see how ignorant you come off making assumptions. I'm done, no sense in debating a fool on the Internet. Lol

Dubble-Tapper
01-03-2013, 15:06

Friendly tip -

You "might" want to review the history of the guy you're talking to. He's likely been around more marijuana in one drug bust, than you've ever seen...even on TV.

He's a retired federal agent, and a current local cop. But, you go right on and educate him on marijuana. :rofl:

did he smoke any of it and drive? :rofl:

otherwise he gained no first hand knowledge on this subject from his huge busts.

ATF agents seize many firearms, and those guys are hardly the know-all authority on firearms

having said that, anyone who says they're not impaired to some degree when high is a liar. no matter how "sober" you feel, any amount of intake of substances such as alcohol, pot, pills, etc. alters your body chemistry. to what degree you are impaired, that is up to debate.

bottom line, i dont care if people want to get stoned at home, but stay the hell off the public roadways, and dont carry when you are high. just like booze.

Dubble-Tapper
01-03-2013, 15:08
You don't have a clue about my scope and I'm amazed you don't see how ignorant you come off making assumptions. I'm done, no sense in debating a fool on the Internet. Lol

its a valid question.

do you think the psychos you deal with were potheads who went crazy, or were they crazies who happened to smoke pot?

theres difference between causal and correlation

DanaT
01-03-2013, 15:09
did he smoke any of it and drive? :rofl:

otherwise he gained no first hand knowledge on this subject from his huge busts.

ATF agents seize many firearms, and those guys are hardly the know-all authority on firearms

having said that, anyone who says their impaired to some degree when high is a liar. no matter how "sober" you feel, any amount of intake of substances such as alcohol, pot, pills, etc. alters your body chemistry. to what degree you are impaired, that is up to debate.

bottom line, i dont care if people want to get stoned at home, but stay the hell off the public roadways, and dont carry when you are high. just like booze.

You mean a medical doctor is probably more qualified to make a statement about how drugs affect someone than a cop?

This is what happens to heretics:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Supplice_des_Amauriciens.jpg

DanaT
01-03-2013, 15:10

Dont confuse people with facts.

larry_minn
01-03-2013, 15:21

NHTSA says the SFST battery applies to all manner of impairment due to intoxicating substances (alcohol, MJ, other street drugs, prescription drugs). So there's an established procedure, recognized by the courts in all jurisdictions, for establishing probable cause (at least) for an arrest for DUI whether it be due to alcohol, drugs, or a combination of substances........

Thing is not everyone reacts to drugs the same. To me vicodin (hydrocodone) (really any drug) does not get me "high" or altered. Since 95 I have had running script. I use a "30 day supply" every 3+ yrs. now. Even when I took 2 pills at a time all it did was reduce pain so I could sleep. I tried games of skill, reaction time. I could get high score either way.

flw
01-03-2013, 15:24

Was this the "I have nothing to do today" post?

hogfish
01-03-2013, 15:30
Driving mad is dangerous. TBO is mad. :cool:

series1811
01-03-2013, 15:50

Thanks for being the one to make my point. :supergrin:

muscogee
01-03-2013, 15:53

Driving with Alzheimer's or Parkinson's is dangerous but legal. Does that make sense?

series1811
01-03-2013, 15:56
Driving with Alzheimer's or Parkinson's is dangerous but legal. Does that make sense?

It's not legal in my state to drive with a medical impairment that makes it unsafe for you to drive. I imagine it's pretty much the same in most states.

devildog2067
01-03-2013, 16:00

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/correlation.png

muscogee
01-03-2013, 16:01

Some people can't drink alcohol with becoming alcoholics. Some become completely detached from reality after drinking alcohol. Some people can't eat sugar without becoming diabetics. The list goes on and on. How is marijuana any different? We prohibit everyone from using it because some people can't handle it?

How does making it illegal keep people from getting it? We've been trying that for half a century. How is banning marijuana different from banning firearms because some people can't handle them responsibility?

devildog2067
01-03-2013, 16:07
Some people can't drink alcohol with becoming alcoholics. Some become completely detached from reality after drinking alcohol. Some people can't eat sugar without becoming diabetics. The list goes on and on. How is marijuana any different? We prohibit everyone from using it because some people can't handle it?

How does making it illegal keep people from getting it? We've been trying that for half a century. How is banning marijuana different from banning firearms because some people can't handle them responsibility?

The world must be ending, you just wrote something I agree with.

syntaxerrorsix
01-03-2013, 16:17
The world must be ending, you just wrote something I agree with.

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Worst+Apocalypse+Ever.+Still+here.+Work+tomorrow.+Sigh.+Pic+found_70d009_4315317.jpg

PAGunner
01-03-2013, 16:20
its a valid question.

do you think the psychos you deal with were potheads who went crazy, or were they crazies who happened to smoke pot?

You had missed the part in my previous post where I stated how I obtain collateral information from people who know the patient. I understand how one can draw a false conclusion, post hoc fallacy. It's just what my observation has been along with the collateral information and the recent study I have linked.

Bruce M
01-03-2013, 16:31

What was the point you were trying to make? I don't think anyone, and especially not on GT, seriously believes that smoking marijuana doesn't get a person intoxicated. That's what the stuff is for.

Watch.

Now I know by saying all this, the truth that is, ill be coming under a lot of fire. The fact of the matter is, high functioning users like myself don't get too intoxicated at all when we smoke. As someone with a nasty anxiety problem left over from the Army, this plant is a huge help in making life a little more tolerable.

Also, in before a mass of do-gooder replies, all along the lines of, "well, I don't live that life style so neither should you" flood this thread.

Sent from the Duke City using OHM There are people who drive while under the influence of alcohol who do not crash and do not get arrested.
There are anecdotes and there is statistical examination.

No, it certainly did not. Can you tell me what the score will be in the college game next Monday night? (Purely for editorial purposes - I won't use it for wagering:supergrin:...)

Tongo
01-03-2013, 16:32
You had missed the part in my previous post where I stated how I obtain collateral information from people who know the patient. I understand how one can draw a false conclusion, post hoc fallacy. It's just what my observation has been along with the collateral information and the recent study I have linked.

My understanding is that marijuana isn't causing psychosis, it's triggering it already predisposed individual. Could the ailment be triggered by another stimulus? If so, then how does making marijuana illegal help again?

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 16:35

Friendly tip -

I'm well aware of his experience in drugs and Law Enforcement. I respect what he has done as I'm a huge supporter of Law Enforcement and respect the danger they knowingly put themselves in on a daily basis.

That been said, I'm curious as to when the last time was that this poster actually EXPERIENCED the affects of marijuana, or tried driving while on the substance. This thread is about marijuana and the affect it has on driving, not how many people you've busted for selling a plant that has never been known to directly cause a single death.

Is driving high dangerous for some people? Absoloutely, and I would never suggest someone do it. That been said a lot of us drive just a tad better when we're free of anxiety and are able to focus on the road and any possible threats of brain dead (and usually sober) drivers.

I know a lot of you think anyone who drives high is just asking for death, but that's simply not the case. If you knew how many of us were MORE focused on motor-skill essential tasks while we're 'impaired', you'd **** yourselves.

Tongo
01-03-2013, 16:36
There are people who drive while under the influence of alcohol who do not crash and do not get arrested.
There are anecdotes and there is statistical examination.

No, it certainly did not.

series1811 specified that a person would claim they weren't intoxicated:

Watch.

BicycleDay43 never claimed he wasn't intoxicated, just that he could drive fine while intoxicated. He did not fulfill Grabbrass's original claim.

That's interesting, I've driven in that mental state frequently for several years now. Never been in an accident.

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 16:55
series1811 specified that a person would claim they weren't intoxicated:

BicycleDay43 never claimed he wasn't intoxicated, just that he could drive fine while intoxicated. He did not fulfill Grabbrass's original claim.

To say marijuana doesn't impair you or put you in a different mental state would be silly. Unfortunately for the masses of do-gooders on this thread, those of us who have suffered, had our eyes opened to the big picture in life and became mentally stronger from it can function just as well if not BETTER, while our minds are traveling through euphoria in that same "impaired" mental state.

People who are too afraid to explore their own minds don't realize that certain drugs, (MJ, shrooms, acid) don't impair you AS MUCH as they AUGMENT your sense of awareness.

And before you try to discredit me, when I got out of the Army, I made the drive from Ft. Campbell, Ky back home to New Mexico after eating about a gram of shrooms. Would a LOT of people freak out and crash? Absoloutely. But I'M mentally stronger than those people and can explore the world from a weird, ball tripping perspective and drive at the same time.

Its all about mental will-power. Obviously driving across the country on a shroom trip was a selfish, irresponsible thing to do, but I knew I could handle it because I KNOW that my mind controls how it percieves things and I KNOW I'm mentally strong enough to do whatever I put my mind to.

-BD43

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 16:55
Evil weed!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Tongo
01-03-2013, 16:58
Down with dope!! Up with hope!! (any potheads around to get the reference?)

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 17:00
To say marijuana doesn't impair you or put you in a different mental state would be silly. Unfortunately for the masses of do-gooders on this thread, those of us who have suffered, had our eyes opened to the big picture in life and became mentally stronger from it can function just as well if not BETTER, while our minds are traveling through euphoria in that same "impaired" mental state.

People who are too afraid to explore their own minds don't realize that certain drugs, (MJ, shrooms, acid) don't impair you AS MUCH as they AUGMENT your sense of awareness.

And before you try to discredit me, when I got out of the Army, I made the drive from Ft. Campbell, Ky back home to New Mexico after eating about a gram of shrooms. Would a LOT of people freak out and crash? Absoloutely. But I'M mentally stronger than those people and can explore the world from a weird, ball tripping perspective and drive at the same time.

Its all about mental will-power. Obviously driving across the country on a shroom trip was a selfish, irresponsible thing to do, but I knew I could handle it because I KNOW that my mind controls how it percieves things and I KNOW I'm mentally strong enough to do whatever I put my mind to.

-BD43

I bet it made the drive much more pleasant though.

Did you stop along the way and do a little raping and murdering?

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 17:02
Did I say all that? What I meant so say was:

Drugs are bad, m'kay. If you do drugs, you're bad. Because drugs are bad, m'kay.

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 17:06
Did I say all that? What I meant so say was:

Drugs are bad, m'kay. If you do drugs, you're bad. Because drugs are bad, m'kay.

Quit dodging the question. Did you jack any cars, rob any homes, assault any old ladies or otherwise commit any crimes against your fellow citizen?

Tell us about your fungi induced cross country rampage.

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 17:07
Thank you for your service, BTW.

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 17:08
I bet it made the drive much more pleasant though.

Did you stop along the way and do a little raping and murdering?

Not so much pleasant as it was the 3rd weirdest trip I've ever had (out of about 17 shroom trips). I focused the trip around using the music I was playing (a mix of dandy warhols and brian jonestown massacre cd's) to help me focus on driving. Driving safely was my #1 concern during the trip and my mind was more than able to focus on the task at hand.

And yes, obviously no shroom trip is complete without kidnapping a few babies and selling them on the baby black market for heroin. :rofl:

Everyone knows of course that anyone who would willingly ingest a hallucinogen is an evil, God hating, baby stealing heroin addict. :wavey:

Tongo
01-03-2013, 17:08
Quit dodging the question. Did you jack any cars, rob any homes, assault any old ladies or otherwise commit any crimes against your fellow citizen?

Tell us about your fungi induced cross country rampage.

:rofl: We can probably solve 20...maybe even 30 unsolved crimes if we can get some answers!

:tongueout:

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 17:13
Thank you for your service, BTW.

Obviously my short lived term of service has been completely dishonored as I'm now a Christian hating, baby raping, un Amurican, inevitably liberal and homosexual gun grabber that robs homes and steals valuable family posessions for my next injection of marijuana. :supergrin: :rofl:

Kingarthurhk
01-03-2013, 17:22
Otto Mann Getting High - YouTube

Kingarthurhk
01-03-2013, 17:23
Otto Mann Getting High - YouTube

DanaT
01-03-2013, 17:28
Obviously my short lived term of service has been completely dishonored as I'm now a Christian hating, baby raping, un Amurican, inevitably liberal and homosexual gun grabber that robs homes and steals valuable family posessions for my next injection of marijuana.

Have you thought about seeking professional help?

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 17:37

I'm hoping to God you're just being sarcastic. :rofl:

Dubble-Tapper
01-03-2013, 17:37

yeah, i hear PAGunner deals with pot induced psychosis

hogfish
01-03-2013, 17:50

-BD43

Tripping while on a trip. On a trip while tripping. Tripping while tripping. :smoking:

Atlas
01-03-2013, 17:52
Speaking of marijuana...
How long has MJ been legal in Colorado and Washington?
Several weeks now, yeah?

I haven't heard anything about the chaos and mayhem..
Did society and order break down so badly that the media in those states has been unable to get word out? I mean really, how bad is it there?

Tongo
01-03-2013, 17:53
Speaking of marijuana...
Several weeks now, yeah?

Did society and order break down so badly that the media in those states has been unable to get word out? I mean really, how bad is it there?

I HATE the new laws...so many people driving SOOOOOO slow. The average speed has dropped to 10mph under the speed limit!

unit1069
01-03-2013, 17:56
My favorite federal grant study is the $4.5 million spent confirming that large SUVs fare better in collisions with small sub-compact cars than the smaller, lighter vehicles involved in the crashes.

Sheesh, I could have told the world that information at a cost half the amount spent.

NDCent
01-03-2013, 17:59
Depends on what you consider dangerous. If you don't think it increases the danger, you need to get a new dealer or grow a better strain.

In other news... texting and driving.

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 18:01
Speaking of marijuana...
Several weeks now, yeah?

Family Guy - Stoned Reporters - YouTube

DanaT
01-03-2013, 18:21
Speaking of marijuana...
Several weeks now, yeah?

Actually, I was out and about today. There was so much carnage, the streets were running with blood, bodies strewn everywhere, and the MJ smog was so bad, that just walking outside one gets high.

TBO
01-03-2013, 20:23
Speaking of marijuana...
Several weeks now, yeah?

Did society and order break down so badly that the media in those states has been unable to get word out? I mean really, how bad is it there?http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456989

Atlas
01-03-2013, 20:27
Hell TBO, that one was extra double-lame the first time you posted it.
Don't despair... I'm sure the carnage will begin any moment now.

And we here at GT can count on you :thumbsup: to keep us "in the loop".

Atlas
01-03-2013, 20:37
Hell, recalling now all those years I drove at least 70-80k miles while using MJ...
Across 7 or 8 states, all hours, all weather, interstates and backroads.. over a 20-year span.

All those other drivers and their passengers were just lucky I suppose.
It's a miracle I'm here to tell about it.
Those trips up and down I-40 through the Smokies so many times..
In rush-hour through Atlanta dozens of times...

How, I say how did I do it?
Just dumb luck I guess (with emphasis on the dumb).

20 years of that foolishness........
I was working on projects all over the east.
All those 6 - 10 hour road-trips, driving alone..
Driving without the MJ was just boring, so I tried to avoid it when I could.

Then again, if my old friend Jim could do high-altitude hang-gliding while using MJ all those years...
And those two young engineers I worked with three years ago competing in cross-country long-distance mountain-bike races in the mountains of Virginia every opportunity they get, while using marijuana..

Hmmm.

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 21:00
Hell, recalling now all those years I drove at least 70-80k miles while using MJ...
Across 7 or 8 states, all hours, all weather, interstates and backroads.. over a 20-year span.

All those other drivers and their passengers were just lucky I suppose.
It's a miracle I'm here to tell about it.
Those trips up and down I-40 through the Smokies so many times..
In rush-hour through Atlanta dozens of times...

How, I say how did I do it?
Just dumb luck I guess (with emphasis on the dumb).

20 years of that foolishness........
I was working on projects all over the east.
All those 6 - 10 hour road-trips, driving alone..
Driving without the MJ was just boring, so I tried to avoid it when I could.

Then again, if my old friend Jim could do high-altitude hang-gliding while using MJ all those years...
And those two young engineers I worked with three years ago competing in cross-country long-distance mountain-bike races in the mountains of Virginia every opportunity they get, while using marijuana..

Hmmm.

You never turned psychotic? schizophrenic?

Prove it!

chickenwing
01-03-2013, 21:01
Someone I know is going on 30 years safe driving at one of the two major package delivery companies. Same for his driving record, no tickets or accidents.

He may or may not smoke pot everyday when he gets home.

A joint a day keeps road rage and speeding away.

Atlas
01-03-2013, 21:03
You never turned psychotic? schizophrenic?

Prove it!

Still gathering data... :wavey:

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 21:10
Someone I know is going on 30 years safe driving at one of the two major package delivery companies. Same for his driving record, no tickets or accidents.

He may or may not smoke pot everyday when he gets home.

A joint a day keeps road rage and speeding away.

I think some people would truly be shocked to find out the number of people and the wide breadth of socioeconomic strata who consume marijuana recreationally on a regular or semi regular basis in the same manner that others have a couple glasses of wine.

Atlas
01-03-2013, 21:15
I think some people would truly be shocked to find out the number of people and the wide breadth of socioeconomic strata who consume marijuana recreationally on a regular or semi regular basis in the same manner that others have a couple glasses of wine.

Yeah, but the attraction for me was that I could work on MJ..
I would be UP for it! Ready, willing, and able.

With a glass of wine or a couple beers I just get sleepy.
And no way can I drive with any amount of alcohol.
...just a lightweight I suppose.

Bullwinkle J Moose
01-03-2013, 21:23
Here is something to chew on. According to http://www.textinganddrivingsafety.com/texting-and-driving-stats/
23% of all auto collisions in 2011 involve cell phones. I imagine that's much higher than the percentage of collisions involving weed impairment. Maybe possessing cell phones should be criminalized. But that would put a dent in corporate profits, so that will never happen.

SpectreRider
01-03-2013, 21:25
Stoned drivers "are almost twice as likely to get into an accident as sober drivers."

Drunk drivers "at the legal BAC limit of .08 are 11 times more likely to get in a car accident than a sober person."

Legalizing weed might just make the roads safer if some of the people who are currently drunk drivers were to switch to driving stoned instead.

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 21:26
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456989

Lol, so a typical burglary happens the day weed is legalized, a crime that most likely happened at least once that day in 48 other states where MJ is still illegal; And THAT'S your hint towards the notion that weed is responsible for civil unrest? :rofl:

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 21:27
Stoned drivers "are almost twice as likely to get into an accident as sober drivers."

Drunk drivers "at the legal BAC limit of .08 are 11 times more likely to get in a car accident than a sober person."

Legalizing weed might just make the roads safer if some of the people who are currently drunk drivers were to switch to driving stoned instead.

Yet sober drivers are responsible for 66% of accidents.

perhaps marijuana use should be mandatory before driving?

edporch
01-03-2013, 21:33
Yes, I'm sure smoking weed before driving does increase your risk of an accident, but not for all the same reasons that driving drunk does.

With weed, you don't lose your coordination, but you space off and stop paying attention.

I would guess the typical kind of accidents would be ones that occur with distracted driving, more than the inability to control the car.

Atlas
01-03-2013, 21:41
Yes, I'm sure smoking weed before driving does increase your risk of an accident, but not for all the same reasons that driving drunk does.

With weed, you don't lose your coordination, but you space off and stop paying attention.

I would guess the typical kind of accidents would be ones that occur with distracted driving, more than the inability to control the car.

I nearly caused a minor accident a couple of days ago.
It was very close, the other driver had to lock her brakes.

I ceased using MJ more than 13 years ago (when I became a firearms owner), and I will not drink and drive..

I was distracted, thinking about breaking up with my girlfriend earlier this week. :crying:

By the grace of God I haven't caused an accident since I was 18, and never a serious one, but I am not a great driver, being far too easily distracted..
Always have been that way..

Sharing the road with others is an awesome responsibility.
I'll be making a 10-hour trip early next week.
When I travel I usually thank God on arrival that I did not cause harm to anyone.

mayhem23
01-03-2013, 21:42
How come the Media hasn't brought up the use of sniffing glue? Or paint thinner? Why are painters at paint shops allowed to drive home? Maybe employers should provide taxi rides home for them......Just saying.

jdavionic
01-03-2013, 21:44
Nothing seems to spawn outrage like the topic of drugs / legalization. I personally hate taking pain medication when it has prescribed to me. I cannot imagine someone wanting to intentionally introduce that crap into their body. I grew up in S FL and saw a LOT of drug use. Unfortunately I have seen kids go from "casual" pot use to progressively stronger drugs...ultimately ruining their lives with some dying at an early age.

I did bugger up with alcohol in my early college days and paid a price. Now, I may have an occasional beer or wine, but not very often. I think burying several relatives on my irish side of the family due to alcohol-related deaths just made me worry I'd follow the same tradition. I've seen what alcohol abuse does to the individual and their family. I want no part of that in my life. Me and my family deserve better.

I suppose the point is that I've seen a lot bad things come from drugs and alcohol. Legalization seems like a side topic from my perspective. Whether it's legal or not, I just don't see drugs as being a positive contribution to a person's life...obviously excluding those taking drugs for medicinal purposes.

From a legal perspective, I suppose it ought to be left to the states to decide. I don't see this as a federal issue. As a citizen in a state, my vote would be against the legalization of drugs for the reasons stated above...bottom line, I see more harm than good coming from drug use and drug legalization. However I am just one vote and others within my state should have their own say in the decision as well. If the majority in my state want to legalize them, then so be it. However I think they will inevitably regret the decision...but of course, that's just my opinion.

Not a popular opinion, I'm sure. However I figured I'd chime in on the topic that I normally refrain from participating in this topic.

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 22:51
Nothing seems to spawn outrage like the topic of drugs / legalization. I personally hate taking pain medication when it has prescribed to me. I cannot imagine someone wanting to intentionally introduce that crap into their body. I grew up in S FL and saw a LOT of drug use. Unfortunately I have seen kids go from "casual" pot use to progressively stronger drugs...ultimately ruining their lives with some dying at an early age.

I did bugger up with alcohol in my early college days and paid a price. Now, I may have an occasional beer or wine, but not very often. I think burying several relatives on my irish side of the family due to alcohol-related deaths just made me worry I'd follow the same tradition. I've seen what alcohol abuse does to the individual and their family. I want no part of that in my life. Me and my family deserve better.

I suppose the point is that I've seen a lot bad things come from drugs and alcohol. Legalization seems like a side topic from my perspective. Whether it's legal or not, I just don't see drugs as being a positive contribution to a person's life...obviously excluding those taking drugs for medicinal purposes.

From a legal perspective, I suppose it ought to be left to the states to decide. I don't see this as a federal issue. As a citizen in a state, my vote would be against the legalization of drugs for the reasons stated above...bottom line, I see more harm than good coming from drug use and drug legalization. However I am just one vote and others within my state should have their own say in the decision as well. If the majority in my state want to legalize them, then so be it. However I think they will inevitably regret the decision...but of course, that's just my opinion.

Not a popular opinion, I'm sure. However I figured I'd chime in on the topic that I normally refrain from participating in this topic.

I pretty much agree with all of this

I can't believe I agree with a Gators fan

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 23:25

Sorry about your friends. Personally, I escaped the grasp of Heroin only a few months ago. Heroin and Meth are two substances that add NOTHING positive to society.

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 23:33
Meth is available by prescription and is used for ADHD treatment where other options aren't as effective.

And it makes fat chicks skinny

BicycleDay43
01-03-2013, 23:43
And it makes fat chicks skinny

Correction. HEROIN has no place in modern society. :supergrin:

I'm guessing you're referring to Adderall, which I was also on for a while for ADHD.

certifiedfunds
01-03-2013, 23:49
Correction. HEROIN has no place in modern society. :supergrin:

I'm guessing you're referring to Adderall, which I was also on for a while for ADHD.

No. Methamphetamine. Desoxyn.

Adderall is a mix of d and l amphetamine.

BicycleDay43
01-04-2013, 02:52
Interesting chemistry differences there. :wavey:

John Rambo
01-04-2013, 06:51

I don't need to know about your scope. If your 'scope' involved any real knowledge of the subject you wouldn't be making ridiculous claims which mirror propaganda films.

Altaris
01-04-2013, 06:54
Hell TBO, that one was extra double-lame the first time you posted it.
Don't despair... I'm sure the carnage will begin any moment now.

And we here at GT can count on you :thumbsup: to keep us "in the loop".

Typical TBO. Has to search for and point out every single negative report about random things he doesn't agree with.
It reminds me of the anti-gunners when the Clinton AWB expired. "OMG, you guys can't let this happen, there will be death and destruction everywhere, the streets will run with blood".

Sleepy drivers, and people on their phones worry me far more than someone who smoked some pot or had a couple beers.

DanaT
01-04-2013, 07:52
Typical TBO. Has to search for and point out every single negative report about random things he doesn't agree with.
It reminds me of the anti-gunners when the Clinton AWB expired. "OMG, you guys can't let this happen, there will be death and destruction everywhere, the streets will run with blood".

Sleepy drivers, and people on their phones worry me far more than someone who smoked some pot or had a couple beers.

Lets see. He has shown one data point about MJ to show "proof". In the same time frame, I have found some interesting data about police and DUI.

Since this topic is about impairing driving, can we really be sure the data the accurate? Maybe the police skew the data to fit their agenda?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fired-utah-state-trooper-lisa-steed-accused-falsifying/story?id=18127921#.UObq4Hf91Tg

The class action lawsuit is about a "Culture of corruption. The stories are just rampant,"

Or maybe they dont think it is dangerous and against the law when they do it.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/boulder/ci_22138627/boulder-cop-suspected-driving-drunk-was-departments-dui

Of maybe anothor one. "A local Colorado police department is reeling after two of its officers were accused of drinking and driving over the past few weeks."

http://www.crossliechtypc.com/blog/2012/12/colorado-officers-face-drunk-driving-charges-after-arrests.shtml

One MJ robbery. 3 incidents with cops. Which is the problem? I jave shown 3 time more "proof" that the cops are the problem.

Bullwinkle J Moose
01-04-2013, 08:22

I don't think TBO has enough time to point out every single report out there on any given subject. I like his posts even if I do not agree with my perception of his position on any particular subject, because they usually generate some thought and interesting discussions (along with a percentage of BS personal attacks).

Anyone who, through any neglect, distraction, irresponsible actions or impairment, might injure or kill me, my friends or family while driving worries me. And any who actually do it will definitely be on my **** list.

syntaxerrorsix
01-04-2013, 08:39
I don't need to know about your scope. If your 'scope' involved any real knowledge of the subject you wouldn't be making ridiculous claims which mirror propaganda films.

I agree, it does sound ridiculous in light of all available research.

I find no other claims that back his hypothesis.

series1811
01-04-2013, 08:54

The figure that always amazes me is the number of people who will do it, knowing that they could be fired or locked up for doing it, who still claim the are not addicted.

There are a lot of things I like, but not a one of them do I have to have so much I will risk my job or freedom for it.

But, of course, they could quit if they wanted to. They just don't want to.

DanaT
01-04-2013, 09:19
The figure that always amazes me is the number of people who will do it, knowing that they could be fired or locked up for doing it, who still claim the are not addicted.

There are a lot of things I like, but not a one of them do I have to have so much I will risk my job or freedom for it.

You do realize sodomy is illegal? :tongueout::tongueout:

syntaxerrorsix
01-04-2013, 09:26
You do realize sodomy is illegal? :tongueout::tongueout:

Well they must be addicted because the could lose their job or get locked up for it.

Anti-liberty folks never cease to amaze me.

Tongo
01-04-2013, 10:21

Pot is not physically addictive. Repeat after me: "Pot is not physically addictive.". It really isn't.

Now, that said, I know of a person that was very psychologically addicted to pot. Heavy user every day for a decade or more. Funny thing is, when he had a big enough motivator, he quit cold turkey. (He wanted to get in shape for a girl :)

Tongo
01-04-2013, 10:23
Also, I'm pretty sure TBO is just trolling at this point. He can get a rise out of the pro-legalization and he does. Makes for good times!! :D

DanaT
01-04-2013, 10:34
Also, I'm pretty sure TBO is just trolling at this point. He can get a rise out of the pro-legalization and he does. Makes for good times!! :D

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2008/10/3/128674971391395232.jpg

I dont know what to say.

TBO
01-04-2013, 12:33
Marijuana cited in fatal crash

http://www.pekintimes.com/article/20121211/NEWS/121219894
------------------------------------

Gotta be tough living with survivor's guilt.

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 12:37
Marijuana cited in fatal crash

http://www.pekintimes.com/article/20121211/NEWS/121219894
------------------------------------

Gotta be tough living with survivor's guilt.

Cause and effect?

Coincidence?

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 12:41

There are lots of things that, if made illegal, I would continue to do if the chances of getting caught were relatively low.

Sure, perhaps I would go blind but.....

TBO
01-04-2013, 12:42
Marijuana found in fatal crash north of San Diego

http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/12/24/3112336/marijuana-found-in-fatal-crash.html
--------------------------

Impaired drivers causes tragic losses on a regular basis.

Statistics are just numbers, unless it's your friend/family/loved one that is killed/injured.

I think we're all in agreement that people who drive shouldn't be drinking/smoking anything with potential to impair, and people who are over tired need to keep off the road.

True?

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/12/24/3112336/marijuana-found-in-fatal-crash.html#storylink=cpy

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 12:53

Statistics are just numbers, unless it's your friend/family/loved one that is killed/injured.

I think we're all in agreement that people who drive shouldn't be drinking/smoking anything with potential to impair, and people who are over tired need to keep off the road.

True?

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/12/24/3112336/marijuana-found-in-fatal-crash.html#storylink=cpy

Cause and effect?

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 12:58
66% of crashes are caused by sober drivers.

33% of crashes involve someone under the influence.

Of that 33%, how many were crashes that would have occurred anyway? With 66% of them being caused by sober drivers it stands to reason that there is a good chance a meaningful % of them are coincidental, no?

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 13:00
TBO - honest question. If I'm impaired and sitting at a red light and a sober driver hits me, does that go into the "alcohol/crash" statistics?

BicycleDay43
01-04-2013, 13:45

I COULD be locked up everytime I go 10 minutes west of Rio Rancho to shoot in the desert. I do it because nobody cares (including LEOs in that area), I know I can conduct it in a safe manner, and because its free open land. I guess that means I'm addicted to shooting. :rofl:

BicycleDay43
01-04-2013, 13:54

True?

SOBER drivers cause MORE tragic losses on a regular basis. The only thing you can blame is human error and in a lot of cases, human stupidity.

Like I said, my mom (bless her heart) just rear ended a dude SOBER 2 weeks ago. I drive everyday ****ed up and have been 100% accident free since I started driving (only by the grace of God).

Statistically in my family, driving sober is the leading cause of accidents.

Shinytop
01-04-2013, 14:39
Controlling a vehicle weighing 1000's of pounds is an activity we should all take seriously. There is no doubt that any impairment is not good while driving however it is induced.

Tying the legalization of pot to the dangers of driving while high is a straw man. Loss of control or impaired driving is dangerous.

Watching pseudo intellectuals discussing this issue is humorous but sad. Like most topics in America today there are those on both sides whose mind is so locked in concrete no rational discussion will have any effect. One would hope that driving while high is self evidently a bad thing. One would also hope that rational people will have enough intellect/honestly to not tie the driving issue to the legalization issue. But then I have other dreams.

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 15:02
Controlling a vehicle weighing 1000's of pounds is an activity we should all take seriously. There is no doubt that any impairment is not good while driving however it is induced.

Tying the legalization of pot to the dangers of driving while high is a straw man. Loss of control or impaired driving is dangerous.

Watching pseudo intellectuals discussing this issue is humorous but sad. Like most topics in America today there are those on both sides whose mind is so locked in concrete no rational discussion will have any effect. One would hope that driving while high is self evidently a bad thing. One would also hope that rational people will have enough intellect/honestly to not tie the driving issue to the legalization issue. But then I have other dreams.

Excellent post

DanaT
01-04-2013, 15:05
One would also hope that rational people will have enough intellect/honestly to not tie the driving issue to the legalization issue. But then I have other dreams.

He has an agenda and is biased.

Bruce M
01-04-2013, 15:33

Statistically in my family, driving sober is the leading cause of accidents.

Is the group big enough to be of statistical significance compared to all drivers?

BicycleDay43
01-04-2013, 21:43
Is the group big enough to be of statistical significance compared to all drivers?

Its simply a smaller ratio/equation. It's still relevant. Do all the people in my family not count as part of the human race? :wavey:

gjk5
01-04-2013, 22:06
TBO - honest question. If I'm impaired and sitting at a red light and a sober driver hits me, does that go into the "alcohol/crash" statistics?

yes, they do.

stop trying to rationalize it you dirty stoner.:supergrin:

DanaT
01-04-2013, 22:33
Its simply a smaller ratio/equation. It's still relevant. Do all the people in my family not count as part of the human race? :wavey:

A small portion of statistics 101.

There is a difference between a sample and a population. Knowing the difference will answer questions like this.

glockman97420
01-04-2013, 22:41

www.no-****-sherlock.com.

This reminds me of a guy at work. He was drinking quite a bit of water. He said it was a good way to get oxygen, and he had been having a little trouble breathing lately. I asked how he would explain drowning then..... "Good point" he says. :rofl:

BicycleDay43
01-05-2013, 00:22
A small portion of statistics 101.

There is a difference between a sample and a population. Knowing the difference will answer questions like this.

Fair enough. :wavey:

TBO
01-05-2013, 00:26

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2