Duracoating a Kimber UCII [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Duracoating a Kimber UCII

DGreno
01-03-2013, 18:29
I have a Kimber UCII that is my main CCW. As everyone knows, the Kimber finish is horrible and mine is no exception.

My local gunsmith is setting up to do a duracoat run towards the end of the month and I was going to let him do mine. What are everyone's thoughts on duracoating a CCW? How would it hold up should I decide to do the barrel hood as well?

Essentially, I want every part that is visible to be a semi gloss black. If anyone has the pic of the Chuck Rogers 3 inch Springfield that is done like this, you know what I am talking about. :wavey:

DGreno
01-04-2013, 12:18
Anyone?

Indy_Tim
01-05-2013, 16:20
I have not done my Kimber yet, but I did do a duracoat finish on a CZ 75. I've been very happy with the results. On that one, I did everything to keep it a monotone Magpul flat earth color, including the barrel and lugs. The finish has held up very well and is only starting to wear after about 300 rounds in the most extreme wear areas.

I've been planning on doing my Kimber Custom Compact in the Duracoat stainless finish. It has to be an improvement over the finish Kimber uses, which I think is made of melted crayons. Here's a shot of my CZ with the Duracoat finish:
http://i433.photobucket.com/albums/qq59/88E30M50/Mechanical%20Things/CZ-75-with-VZ-grips.jpg

DGreno
01-05-2013, 18:09
Looks awesome Tim! Thanks for posting. I am probably going to go for it. Like you said, it can't be anything but an improvement over the crayon finish.

Indy_Tim
01-05-2013, 20:10
Thanks. I think I'll look into doing my Kimber this month if I can find the time. I really like that gun and it has a lot of holster wear that is making it look shabby. It really needs to be brought back to looking as good as it can.

Tim

TTM65
01-08-2013, 00:08
I would pass on the duracoat and go with ceracoat. I have done both and went with ceracoat exclusively as it is more durable.

faawrenchbndr
01-08-2013, 07:38
I'd pass on DuraCoated as well,......not very durable.
CeraKote is what you want. I would suggest NOT having
the battle & hood coated. You WILL have issues with reliability
& the finish will wear off & look like crap.

Indy_Tim
01-08-2013, 09:18
I have a Sig Scorpion which has factory done Ceracote and I do not see any greater durability. The gun has about 400 rounds through it and the finish has worn through under the safety.

I'll get some photos of the barrel of the CZ shown above to show how much wear that gun has after about 500 rounds.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)