Attic insulation help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Attic insulation help

dherloc
01-03-2013, 19:21
I have a typical FL attic. Blown insulation throughout most of it.

I want to put down some boards for additional space over a bedroom and a bathroom. Both have about a foot of blown insulation above them.

Can I use the roll type insulation and replace the blown or just remove the blown and put down the boards, or is there some better way?

House was built in 1992 if that matters.

Thanks,

MLM
01-03-2013, 19:38
What I've done is rake the blown insulation off to one side down to the tops of the ceiling rafters and secured additional lumber perpendicular atop the rafters so I would have at least 12" of insulation. And then raked the insulation back over the area to the top of the new framing. Any left over insulation got raked evenly throughout the attic. Then I secured the plywood down and now have sufficient attic storage.

RenoF250
01-03-2013, 19:47
What I've done is rake the blown insulation off to one side down to the tops of the ceiling rafters and secured additional lumber perpendicular atop the rafters so I would have at least 12" of insulation. And then raked the insulation back over the area to the top of the new framing. Any left over insulation got raked evenly throughout the attic. Then I secured the plywood down and now have sufficient attic storage.

That sounds like a good plan. I think I would rake away, put down 4x4s, put fiberglass between the 4x4s, and then plywood. Then you would increase your insulation and not have to rake twice.

larry_minn
01-03-2013, 19:47
Not sure what you mean. You want to use boards over rafters/over blown in stuff and put rolls over it?
If I understand what you have. Often the older stuff settles. So you could add to it. No reason you can't go above (base rafter board) with blown/roll...
I see in other posts. You want to make added storage? Willing to reduce insulation? How far down are rafter boards? is it strong enough to support people/stuff?
You could add to height (for insulation) or clear insulation down to boards,add flat insulation/then planks I guess.

My FIL did similar. He got a pile of insulation sheets. Cut to fit/ran planks over (spaced) so you have to watch footing/box edges in attic.

savage16
01-03-2013, 19:49
Call Mike Holmes. He'll make it right.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

savage16
01-03-2013, 20:19
Call Mike Holmes. He'll make it right.

DevilDocsGlocks
01-03-2013, 20:29
Check Building codes first...insulation depth is there for a reason...

xArcher
01-03-2013, 23:05
I have a typical FL attic. Blown insulation throughout most of it.

I want to put down some boards for additional space over a bedroom and a bathroom. Both have about a foot of blown insulation above them.

Can I use the roll type insulation and replace the blown or just remove the blown and put down the boards, or is there some better way?

House was built in 1992 if that matters.

Thanks,

Ceiling rafters are frequently designed to only support the loads of the drywall ceiling and insulation above. Adding additional load without additional info would not be advised.