Les Baer Premier II or Kimber Super Match II [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Les Baer Premier II or Kimber Super Match II

mmelugin48
01-03-2013, 20:12
I'm tired of my 25 yr old 9mm service type pistol (Sig P226) outshooting my 25 yr old target type pistol (Colt Gold Cup) and want to remedy that with a .45 that has good accuracy.

Both of the above have a reputation for accuracy.

I've got to take a couple of months to pay off Christmas bills but then I want an accurate .45 whose primary duty will be to punch holes in paper... preferably near the center of the target.

Recommendations?

carguy2244
01-03-2013, 20:21
Both nice but no comparison.
LB 100%.

bac1023
01-03-2013, 20:44
It's hard to go against Baer. I have the Super Match and love it. In fact, I'll even say its a bit more refined than the Baer and just as accurate. It also has more standard features than the Baer. The finish is also better than Baer's standard bluing.

However, from a parts quality and fitting standpoint, Les Baer is far superior to any Kimber, even their best.

If you're just punching paper, it's probably not a big deal. The Super Match is one hell of a range gun.

sawgrass
01-03-2013, 21:10
I can't speak to the specific guns that you mentioned, but going out on a limb here.

I have a Baer SRP with the 50 yd accuracy guarantee that shoots like a dream. I can consistently put shots under a quarter free hand at 10yds.

I also have an older Kimber Eclipse that I put a short trigger in and it shoots equally well. This is my bring to the range gun, if I'm introducing a new person to a 1911. Everyone has turned to the dark side, but it should be green side since it all leads to spending your money!:rofl:

glock2740
01-03-2013, 22:07
For the cost of the Kimber Super Match, I'd take a Baer anyday. My Kimber buying days are over. I've owned 10 and still have 8. Yet not a damn one is factory and with the money I've spent on buying then customizing my Kimbers, I could probably have 8 Baers instead of Kimbers. Hell, some of them have enough in them to have been in Wilson/Guncrafter/Nighthawk territory. Sad but true.:faint:

:rofl:

bac1023
01-03-2013, 22:12
For the cost of the Kimber Super Match, I'd take a Baer anyday. My Kimber buying days are over. I've owned 10 and still have 8. Yet not a damn one is factory and with the money I've spent on buying then customizing my Kimbers, I could probably have 8 Baers instead of Kimbers. Hell, some of them have enough in them to have been in Wilson/Guncrafter/Nighthawk territory. Sad but true.:faint:

:rofl:

Very true, Joe

...but they are very unique pistol nonetheless. :cool:

BFN
01-03-2013, 22:18
Les Baer all the way. I have two, all LB 1911's are accurate, if you really want great accuracy get the 1.5" group at 50 yard guarantee. One of mine has the 1.5", the other is standard, and to be honest I am not quite good enough to notice much difference between them, but they are MUCH more accurate than other brand 1911's I have owned. I am now spoiled by Baer's.

glock2740
01-03-2013, 22:55
Very true, Joe

...but they are very unique pistol nonetheless. :cool:
'Tis true. :supergrin:

Rinspeed
01-04-2013, 07:44
That's very similar to trying to decide between a Porsche and a Kia.

Travclem
01-04-2013, 10:24
Les Baer, hands down, no contest.

Ruggles
01-04-2013, 10:43
That's very similar to trying to decide between a Porsche and a Kia.

That might be a bit of a stretch IMO. The top end Kimbers like the Gold Combat are damn nice 1911s. I would say more like a Porsche and Camero or Mustang is a more accurate comparison. :supergrin:

mmelugin48
01-04-2013, 10:51
I won't say I'm amazed but I am a little surprised at how one sided the response is. The Kimber Super Match 2 and the Les Baer Premier 2 are not that far apart in price and I've heard that Kimber is quite accurate. And I have a Kimber Ultra CDP I've had a number of years that has been absolutely trouble free and shoots as accurate as my Colt Gold Cup despite the shorter barrel and sight radius.

MoCop
01-04-2013, 11:33
I'd go with the Les Baer. My custom carry is a great gun.

Rinspeed
01-05-2013, 09:03
The top end Kimbers like the Gold Combat are damn nice 1911s.

I know they are but they have the same marginal parts in them that their $800 pistols have.

up1911fan
01-05-2013, 10:09
Baer for sure.

Ruggles
01-05-2013, 10:21
I know they are but they have the same marginal parts in them that their $800 pistols have.

They do. I guess my view is that of all the 1911s I have owned (35 or so) the only part I have ever had "break" was a thumb safety on a STI Spartan. I just don't really worry about the parts used in quality handguns that much when buying them.

When I had my Wilsons built I did have the "Bulletproof" option added on the small parts. So when I can choose I will get the stronger part, but as a outright buy of a built gun it does not effect my choice, or at least it is not the deciding factor.

If I could just outright choose I would take a Gold Combat over a Baer of equal $. Just my personal choice and I can understand why others would disagree. I just an not a fan of the tightness of the Baers. My TRS was tight but manageable. The PII I have now is a bit on the ridiculous side of tight, makes me feel less manly when working the slide :rofl:

I would be happy with either the Baer or the Kimber though :supergrin:

dakrat
01-05-2013, 10:56
Both are great pistols. resale value is in favor of Les Baer.

bac1023
01-05-2013, 20:29
I won't say I'm amazed but I am a little surprised at how one sided the response is. The Kimber Super Match 2 and the Les Baer Premier 2 are not that far apart in price and I've heard that Kimber is quite accurate. And I have a Kimber Ultra CDP I've had a number of years that has been absolutely trouble free and shoots as accurate as my Colt Gold Cup despite the shorter barrel and sight radius.

The Super Match II is just as accurate as the Baer, from my experience. Its also got more standard features and a nicer finish. The SM II is also a very refined gun, while the Baer is a bit more coarse (just my opinion)

The whole problem is the parts quality is nowhere near Baer's. The amount of MIM parts in the Kimber is significant, while Baer uses none. I personally feel the MIM part phobia is a bit overplayed at times, especially if its not for hard duty or tens of thousands of rounds a year. However, the fact remains that the Baer is built from much better parts.

bac1023
01-05-2013, 20:42

I'm not surprised at all. Baer represents a VERY solid fountation, built from some of the best 1911 parts on Earth. They are extremely tight, rock solid pistols.

The Super Match II is a very refined, well fit and finished version of Kimber's basic $800 pistol. The Super Match has plenty of standard features. At face value, I feel its a more attractive pistol than the Baer and its a very nice shooter. Accuracy is every bit as good as the Baer's (unless you get Baer's 1.5" option for an extra $300).

Most people are not willing to pay $2000 for a Kimber. As refined, pretty, accurate, and feature-packed as the SM II is, the parts quality is not indicative of the price. That's a simply fact.

It does look great and it shoots as good as it looks. Again, if its just for range use, you may be happier with the Kimber.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/002-6.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/024.jpg

sawgrass
01-05-2013, 20:53
That's a busy looking 1911.
Bac now post the Baer for comparison.

Is there a Bacopedia? Why not?:wavey:

bac1023
01-05-2013, 21:14
SG, I don't own a PII, but I have a Concept V that's about the same price with the same features.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/069.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/072.jpg

BWHITT
01-05-2013, 21:17
haveowned and shot several Kimbers and Les Baers. I sold all my Kmbers of when I boughtmy first Baer.You canít compare a Kimber to a Les Baer. They are not in thesame class.