Firefly? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firefly?

M&P15T
01-04-2013, 03:37
Why did they end it? It's great entertainment.

Ragnar
01-04-2013, 03:40
Because Fox execs are stupid. Its really that simple.

Fred Hansen
01-04-2013, 04:10
Because Fox execs are stupid. Its really that simple.I was just about to say: Goram huh-choo shang tza-jiao duh tzang-huo Fox execs!

Psychman
01-04-2013, 04:15
I suspect it had something to do with ratings. That being said, I enjoyed the series while it lasted.

Razor
01-04-2013, 04:31
Yep, the ratings sucked.

'Course, the way FOX handled the show contributed greatly to why the ratings sucked.
They put it in the Friday night death slot.
They aired the episodes out of order.
It was constantly preempted by baseball gamess.

And when I say the eps were out of order...they aired the Pilot (y'know the episode thats sets up the entire universe) episode LAST.

Kingarthurhk
01-04-2013, 04:40
Why did they end it? It's great entertainment.

Did you just now start watching the series? It has been off the air for a really long time. Which, is unfortunate, because the genre bending it did was pretty unique and interesting.

Phaze5ive
01-04-2013, 04:53
It never stood a chance. Fox bungled it from the start. At least the captain is doing well on Castle.

Batesmotel
01-04-2013, 05:06
It came down to a personal beef between the director and Fox. They killed it intentionally.

LoadToadBoss
01-04-2013, 05:33
I caught all the episodes on Netflix a year and a half ago while recovering from neck surgery. Enjoyed it very much. The dialogue was great.

sugarcreek
01-04-2013, 05:46
Did you watch the MOVIE, Serenity?

aircarver
01-04-2013, 07:26
I was just about to say: Goram huh-choo shang tza-jiao duh tzang-huo Fox execs!

Ab-solutely ! :thumbsup:

:rofl:

John Rambo
01-04-2013, 07:28
It was expensive and they screwed up the airing resulting in loss of viewers.

Altaris
01-04-2013, 07:30
Yep, the ratings sucked.

'Course, the way FOX handled the show contributed greatly to why the ratings sucked.

And when I say the eps were out of order...they aired the Pilot (y'know the episode thats sets up the entire universe) episode LAST.

Yeah, the out of order stuff was something I don't understand at all.

M&P15T
01-04-2013, 07:40
Did you just now start watching the series?

Yes, on Netflix.

Did you watch the MOVIE, Serenity?

I actually watched Serenity first, and then started watching FireFly.

HKLovingIT
01-04-2013, 08:33
Because Fox has a habit of killing off good shows and bungling the scheduling of them. Grrr.

You should also check out Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Another Fox show that got canned but was good.

Unfortunately for that one (Terminator) Season 1 was interrupted by the screen writers strike so it was abbreviated. Then Fox killed it after season 2.

Plus it has Summer Glau in it also. Yum.

Rock on.

TSCC: Cameron - The Best Terminator "Don't Believe Her" - YouTube

Dennis in MA
01-04-2013, 08:33
Yep, the ratings sucked.

Yeah, that death slot that The X-Files did so poorly in for so long. ;) And Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas for years before that.

I can give you a few reasons why it failed - the show wasn't as strong as you all make it out to be. Even episode 1, I felt like I came in half-way through the series. You can't do that. You are 15 minutes in, thinking, "Wait - who are these people? Why is that guy here? Who is that? Is she the pilot or what? Do they ever do anything but run around and fight? How can they keep this thing afloat and do stupid stuff like this?" Question after question. Good series' take 2-3 episodes to flesh out the characters.

That carried throughout the episodes. Someone said they showed them out of order. A good TV show allows you to get sucked in, even though you didn't see the first episode. This isn't Lost for cyrin out loud! When every new viewer says, "Who is the chippy with the large interpupilary distance and what's her problem?" you've got an issue.

Second, it felt like a syndicated show, not a network show. Say what you will, but there is a different audience for a network show and Xena Warrior Princess. My guess is it has to be the camera work. You just don't see that stuff today. (As good as I always thought ST:TNG was - it was always filled with an overly-bright, shot-from-below syndicated feel.) Syndicated shows of today, like Burn Notice, look just like network shows. So your average viewer back then said, "Hmm. Fox isn't broadcasting tonight. FLIP." By 2002, that stuff shouldn't have happened.

Three - weak cast. Sorry. Just true. Not top actors by any stretch. Fillion is the only one currently working on anything worth anything. He WAS the best talent on that show. I'm surprised it took him this long to jump into something mildly successful. The rest are also-rans who keep doing b-side sci-fi shows.

I will admit: I HATE watching TV on Netflix. Even shows I like, I find myself bored. But I DID watch Serenity and found it to be very good. It was laid out like a movie - 30 min of character development, 30-40 min of problems, 10 min of crescendo and 10 min to wrap up. Perfect. Even someone who had never seen the show could watch it. And after getting all the background on Serenity, I STILL can't stomach more than 10 minutes of ANY Firefly episode.

Dennis in MA
01-04-2013, 08:36
Because Fox has a habit of killing off good shows and bungling the scheduling of them. Grrr.

You should also check out Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Another Fox show that got canned but was good.

Unfortunately for that one (Terminator) Season 1 was interrupted by the screen writers strike so it was abbreviated. Then Fox killed it after season 2.

Plus it has Summer Glau in it also. Yum.

Rock on.

TSCC: Cameron - The Best Terminator "Don't Believe Her" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNu7pi9glR4)

TSCC had potential, but again, it was a show that REQUIRED you to watch every week. And they sped through plotlines so quickly they ran out of decent ones within a half-season. Once they started bringing back virtually EVERYONE from the future (aside - what the flip happened to Shirley Manson? Wow!) it lost the viewership of anyone holding onto a decent series.

HKLovingIT
01-04-2013, 08:40
TSCC had potential, but again, it was a show that REQUIRED you to watch every week. And they sped through plotlines so quickly they ran out of decent ones within a half-season. Once they started bringing back virtually EVERYONE from the future (aside - what the flip happened to Shirley Manson? Wow!) it lost the viewership of anyone holding onto a decent series.

Season 1 got screwed up when the writers went on strike, so there were only half the episodes. When they came back for season 2 the first third was fun, but not completely coherent with direction. I felt it really started to hit its stride in the second 2/3 of season 2 when it started to get dark in tone. I enjoyed it

I agree you needed to watch every week especially in the last 2/3rds of season 2.

Still, I liked it. Sucker for all things Sci-Fi, etc. :supergrin:

Dennis in MA
01-04-2013, 08:42
I liked it, too. Would have been better plastered over a cable network as a syndicated show, tho. At least if you missed an episode, you could have caught up.

HKLovingIT
01-04-2013, 08:45
I liked it, too. Would have been better plastered over a cable network as a syndicated show, tho. At least if you missed an episode, you could have caught up.

Yeah that is true.

I think most shows are better over a cable format so you can catch up if you need to.

woodasptim
01-04-2013, 08:52
Three - weak cast. Sorry. Just true. Not top actors by any stretch. Fillion is the only one currently working on anything worth anything. He WAS the best talent on that show. I'm surprised it took him this long to jump into something mildly successful. The rest are also-rans who keep doing b-side sci-fi shows.

Homeland is b-side sci-fi?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796960/

Cali-Glock
01-04-2013, 09:18
I miss Firefly...

Chuck TX
01-04-2013, 09:56
I was just about to say: Goram huh-choo shang tza-jiao duh tzang-huo Fox execs!

This.

It was the wrong channel. Fox has had potentially some of the best shows ever, but none last beyond 2 seasons. Most don't even get that far. Innovative type shows fair better on cable. Such shows will seldom do well Fox, NBC, CBS, or ABC. More formulaic shows are their bread and butter.

Take Battlestar Gallatica. Great show, probably wouldn't have lasted a season on Fox. Like Firefly it couldn't be setup properly with a 45 minute pilot. The old networks seldom push a show that has to unfold and develop. If Supernatural wasn't on CW not only would it not still be on the air, it would have been lucky to last a month.

aircarver
01-04-2013, 09:56
I miss Firefly...
Josh Whedon says he's not bringing it back....

& Nathan Fillion is getting kinda long in tooth ( & wide in butt ...:rofl:

To play Capt. Mal Reynords anymore ....

Chuck TX
01-04-2013, 15:00
Josh Whedon says he's not bringing it back....

& Nathan Fillion is getting kinda long in tooth ( & wide in butt ...:rofl:

To play Capt. Mal Reynords anymore ....

Yup. If they were going to bring it back it would have happened instead of the movie. It'll be interesting to see if in 10-15 more years or so if someone will try and revamp it ala BSG.

cgwahl
01-04-2013, 15:10
They could have possibly brought it back after the movie. There was also talks of other movies, but at this point, the only Firefly stories one can get is via the comic book.

As for why it ended, it sounds like the network never believed in it from the beginning. Why they even gave it a chance is beyond me. Airing out of order, bad day of the week and not consistent airing because of baseball were a few reasons why it failed.

There was a reunion special that came out I think last year where the actors came back to talk about it. And a few stories that would have happened were it to last beyond half a season.

If you like, I can stick it online to download/watch.

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 15:11
Because Fox execs are stupid. Its really that simple.

Pretty much kills the thread there.

captainstormy
01-04-2013, 15:31
They also had it in the same time slot as one of SciFi Channel's new shows that was doing pretty well at the time.

I wanna say it was the first or second season of Enterprise but I'm not 100% sure about that. That also leached alot of the people who would have been fans away from it.

Personally I didn't discover firefly until a while after it was canned (but before Serenity) I love it though.

EdTracker
01-04-2013, 15:44
Loved the show, but I liked Farscape so I have no taste.

As being partly deef, too much loud music as a youth, I often turn on closed captioning. So here is the nerd grammar nazi showing a rare appearance.

It is Gorramn, as to end with Damn! It add emphasis.

cowboy1964
01-04-2013, 15:48
Fox has plenty of great shows that don't get cancelled after a year or two. I think NBC and ABC are far worse at cancelling good shows too quickly.

CitizenOfDreams
01-04-2013, 15:57
I did enjoy shows like Babylon 5, Sliders and Farscape. Tried watching Firefly... Meh. Soap opera in spacesuits does not equal space opera.

hogfish
01-04-2013, 16:09
Yeah, that death slot that The X-Files did so poorly in for so long. ;) And Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas for years before that.

I can give you a few reasons why it failed - the show wasn't as strong as you all make it out to be. Even episode 1, I felt like I came in half-way through the series. You can't do that. You are 15 minutes in, thinking, "Wait - who are these people? Why is that guy here? Who is that? Is she the pilot or what? Do they ever do anything but run around and fight? How can they keep this thing afloat and do stupid stuff like this?" Question after question. Good series' take 2-3 episodes to flesh out the characters.

That carried throughout the episodes. Someone said they showed them out of order. A good TV show allows you to get sucked in, even though you didn't see the first episode. This isn't Lost for cyrin out loud! When every new viewer says, "Who is the chippy with the large interpupilary distance and what's her problem?" you've got an issue.

Second, it felt like a syndicated show, not a network show. Say what you will, but there is a different audience for a network show and Xena Warrior Princess. My guess is it has to be the camera work. You just don't see that stuff today. (As good as I always thought ST:TNG was - it was always filled with an overly-bright, shot-from-below syndicated feel.) Syndicated shows of today, like Burn Notice, look just like network shows. So your average viewer back then said, "Hmm. Fox isn't broadcasting tonight. FLIP." By 2002, that stuff shouldn't have happened.

I will admit: I HATE watching TV on Netflix. Even shows I like, I find myself bored. But I DID watch Serenity and found it to be very good. It was laid out like a movie - 30 min of character development, 30-40 min of problems, 10 min of crescendo and 10 min to wrap up. Perfect. Even someone who had never seen the show could watch it. And after getting all the background on Serenity, I STILL can't stomach more than 10 minutes of ANY Firefly episode.

Sorry. Could you repeat that, please?

:)

Walter Bishop
01-04-2013, 19:57
Joss Whedon pitched the show as a western in space. I'm sure the Fox execs assumed that was a metaphor and were shocked when they saw the pilot and it literally was a western set in space.

BEER
01-04-2013, 21:33
ah, jewel staite, the one woman in the universe that me and Girl both agree on as a "hall pass".

hogfish
01-05-2013, 04:49
It failed because it was Confederate propaganda, and I ain't watching it, darn it! I also ain't watching REACHER, AVATAR, and KUNG-FU PANDA #3 (I'll try to make up an excuse later).

:supergrin:

RWBlue
01-05-2013, 10:46
I bought the DVDs. FOX screwed up.

M&P15T
01-05-2013, 10:48
14 episodes went pretty fast.