Trailer question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trailer question...

XDRoX
01-04-2013, 10:18
My sister just bought a 19' camping trailer. It weighs almost 4k lbs. They need one of those fold up wheels for the front of it. HF sells a 1000lb and a 2000lb "lift weight" front wheel.

Will one of these work? How can I determine the lift weight?

Thanks

John's 26
01-04-2013, 10:36
All you really need to determine is the tongue weight of the trailer. It's usually +/- 10% of the trailer weight, depending on how it's loaded. More weight up front = more tongue weight. Where are the propane bottles, waste and fresh water tanks, etc. Easiest way would be to load the trailer as if going camping, and take the trailer to a truck stop scale. Then weigh the trailers tongue using a jack stand or similar device.

Also, depending on the tow vehicle, you might consider a weight distribution hitch, especially if it's a mid-size SUV or smaller.

John

XDRoX
01-04-2013, 10:47
Thanks. The RV dealership installed a very fancy hitch on their truck. Must be one of those weight distribution ones.
I'll look into tongue weight. Thanks again.

Rinspeed
01-04-2013, 10:47
Shouldn't be more than 10-20% of the total trailer weight.

md2lgyk
01-04-2013, 10:52
Thanks. The RV dealership installed a very fancy hitch on their truck. Must be one of those weight distribution ones.
I'll look into tongue weight. Thanks again.

I'll bet they did. I've been RVing for many years. Really no need for a WD hitch on a 4,000-lb, 19-ft trailer. Unless your tow vehicle is a minivan or something like that. If it's a full size truck, total waste of money.

Combatcomm
01-04-2013, 11:33
I’d look at buying the cheap one from Northern tools before buying the one from HF.

SC Tiger
01-04-2013, 13:04
My sister just bought a 19' camping trailer. It weighs almost 4k lbs. They need one of those fold up wheels for the front of it. HF sells a 1000lb and a 2000lb "lift weight" front wheel.

Will one of these work? How can I determine the lift weight?

Thanks

The camper dealership should be able to tell her, and actually it is probably somewhere on the trailer. Look for a serial number plate or something.