Blame the people or the food? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blame the people or the food?

TSAX
01-04-2013, 13:42
I was living in Los Angeles years back when they came up with a ban of fast food restaurants in some areas (2nd link) to fight obesity.

Blame the people or the food? Is it right that governments make this kind of ban or should they focus more on educating nutrition/balanced diet?

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/rcc/rcc-44eb0365151a4no%20fast%20food.jpg (http://current.com/http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKN2935235720080730)

Poll: Americans Are Obese, Still Want Junk Food

http://www.kirotv.com/videos/ap/technology/poll-americans-are-obese-still-want-junk-food/vmZsW/

http://current.com/green/89152182_los-angeles-bans-fast-food-in-poor-areas-to-tackle-obesity.htm

:50cal:

Bren
01-04-2013, 13:54
The people are 100% to blame. You are to blame for all of you choices, no matter how attractive somebody made them, as long as the evidence was available for you to understand what you were choosing. Both the choice and the effort to understand it are your responsibility.

That is, however, generally contrary to the thinking of the left, Democrats, etc., who believe that the government, or wise party members, should serve as babysitters to the poor, minorities, and anyone not smart enough to agree with them.

Phaze5ive
01-04-2013, 13:55
It's cheaper to shove that garbage down your throat than it is to eat healthy. I know some poor ass families that feed themselves McDonald's because the meals are cheap.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-04-2013, 13:59
Is it right that governments make this kind of ban or should they focus more on educating nutrition/balanced diet?

I'd say the answer is neither. A person can even disregard the principle regarding the limited role of government, but should still see that the government can't get it right.

"Educating" people on nutrition? We have just about more cookbooks than anybody, but we're still fat. We have more cooking shows and cooking gurus than just about anybody, but we're still about the most obese. We have more trainers, exercise joints, etc. today, but heart disease is still the number one killer.

Americans needs to curb a lot of appetites and get a good helping of common sense.

elsolo
01-04-2013, 14:23
It's cheaper to shove that garbage down your throat than it is to eat healthy. I know some poor ass families that feed themselves McDonald's because the meals are cheap.
No, it is not more expensive to eat healthy compared to fast food.

When you are spending $1.50 on a cup of frutose water with caramel coloring, you could have bought enough rice and vegetables, to make a whole meal.

okie
01-04-2013, 14:24
Isn't it the spoon that is at fault:headscratch::supergrin:

cesaros
01-04-2013, 14:26
Self control is just that...SELF-control.

I CHOOSE not to eat that stuff, and I'm not obese.

Its just like blaming alcohol and cigarettes for alcoholics or smokers...those people choose to drink and smoke, and accept the repercussions of their actions.

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 14:30
Does anyone ever stop and ask the simple question of "If the government is so worried about our health then why is good healthy food so much more expensive than processed unhealthy food?"

I agree that the people are responsible for their choices... but when it comes down to economics sometimes your choice isn't really much of one.

TSAX
01-04-2013, 14:42

:rofl:, but does it hold more than 10 uses per spoon

Bruce M
01-04-2013, 14:46
:rofl::rofl:

HollowHead
01-04-2013, 14:49

This. Three gas station corndogs will always be cheaper than a salad and an apple...if you can even find them. Poor people are fat because healthy food costs more. HH

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-04-2013, 14:52
Does anyone ever stop and ask the simple question of "If the government is so worried about our health then why is good healthy food so much more expensive than processed unhealthy food?"

A good question. The answer is simply competition. Check out the police raiding this raw health food store.

Armed Police Raid Private Organic Co-Op Rawesome Foods, Security Camera Footage - YouTube

Count the number of bad Amish busted for selling raw milk. Try to butcher a cow on your own without the government intervening in every step of the process.

The fact is the corrupt greed of public-private partnerships between the FDA, agribusiness, law enforcement and others works to keep a dumbass public in a haze of artificial and empty calories. Anyone willing to stand up (like Rawsome in the video) is crushed under the weight of crooked politicians, a willing police force, and no good judges.

HollowHead
01-04-2013, 14:56
When you are spending $1.50 on a cup of frutose water with caramel coloring, you could have bought enough rice and vegetables, to make a whole meal.

Which is fine and dandy if you have cookware, utensils, a stove and a kitchen to cook them in. HH

OctoberRust
01-04-2013, 15:17
How is good health food more expensive than fast food? I just had a salad for lunch today from HEB grocery store. It was three dollars and fifty cents...... Very filling too, for a 185lbs 6'3 male.

CAcop
01-04-2013, 15:21
There are relatively healthy choices on any menu in a fast food joint. Usually chicken based, some salads. The market has spoken if they don't want it they will not provide it.

Snaps
01-04-2013, 15:23
The food, if healthy food tasted better people would be happy to eat it so it needs to make itself better

Bren
01-04-2013, 15:24

He'll generally say anything to support the liberal side. Nothing is anybody's fault and they need to protect you.

Also, he seems to be out of touch with McDonald's prices compared to the grocery store. I eat lunch at home every day for less than a McDonald's burger with no side items would cost.

Stvan1
01-04-2013, 15:33
I prefer Wendys, lots of grease and if I am really hungry I can get a double our even a triple and with cheese and bacon. Granted if I ate like that more once a month I would be as big as a house.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-04-2013, 15:33
The food, if healthy food tasted better people would be happy to eat it so it needs to make itself better

I have to disagree with you, Snaps. If you eat healthy food, then your taste buds change. People are accustomed to eating things with lots of salt, so they think they can't do without the salt shaker. It's the same with sweets and other types of food.

I'M Glockamolie
01-04-2013, 15:35

Agreed. It's not more expensive, if you're not too lazy to investigate wise choices and spend wisely. It's cheap AND EASY to go eat junk.

attrapereves
01-04-2013, 15:40
I think another problem is that people are REALLY lazy. When I worked at a grocery store, the people on food stamps would never buy fresh meats, veggies, and healthy starches. Instead, they would buy unhealthy TV dinners, frozen chicken nuggets, fries, etc. Most of the things required no cooking, only heating it up in the oven/microwave.

It takes no more than 30 minutes for me to prepare a healthy meal with a meat, starch, and vegetable.

Snaps
01-04-2013, 15:40
I have to disagree with you, Snaps. If you eat healthy food, then your taste buds change. People are accustomed to eating things with lots of salt, so they think they can't do without the salt shaker. It's the same with sweets and other types of food.

If you have to adapt to liking something, it's not good. A delicious burger is something most people enjoy from the first bite. That's because it is good. How many like cauliflower on the first bite?

I'm all for others eating healthy, ill be sticking to delicious dead animals though. If I don't like something when I first taste it I'm not going to keep trying

Snaps
01-04-2013, 15:43
I think another problem is that people are REALLY lazy. When I worked at a grocery store, the people on food stamps would never buy fresh meats, veggies, and healthy starches. Instead, they would buy unhealthy TV dinners, frozen chicken nuggets, fries, etc. Most of the things required no cooking, only heating it up in the oven/microwave.

It takes no more than 30 minutes for me to prepare a healthy meal with a meat, starch, and vegetable.

Can't agree with ya, I actually like to cook. Ill find recipes that look tasty and try it. Usually none of its considered healthy though most people I know tend to cook about the same way. Then I know a few healthy food people who eat nothing that appears appetizing and it's without a doubt easier to make

Bren
01-04-2013, 16:00
Having grown up very poor as a child and having lived much of my life in one of the poorest areas of America, and having stayed in touch with the poor as a police officer for several years, I am truly AMAZED at how out of touch people like HollowHead and Phaze5ive are with how poor people really live. They just have no clue - I imagine them sitting in a nice suburb reading about this stuff on liberal web sites.:rofl:

We have whoel regions where less than half of the people have either a job or a high school diploma and it is absolutely NOTHING like these guys seem to think.

Phaze5ive
01-04-2013, 16:22
Having grown up very poor as a child and having lived much of my life in one of the poorest areas of America, and having stayed in touch with the poor as a police officer for several years, I am truly AMAZED at how out of touch people like HollowHead and Phaze5ive are with how poor people really live. They just have no clue - I imagine them sitting in a nice suburb reading about this stuff on liberal web sites.:rofl:

We have whoel regions where less than half of the people have either a job or a high school diploma and it is absolutely NOTHING like these guys seem to think.
Eh... hit and miss with your post. You got a few parts right. Parents immigrated here in the early 90's with nothing and managed to work a few full time jobs. Starting at age 5, I was home alone for most of the day. Paid off though, they managed to buy a house in a pretty ghetto neighborhood, but at least it was our house. Dad got laid off in '08 and now both of them live off mom's 20k/year income. But I go to school on scholarship (so I must be a liberal, I guess) and I AM actually, at the moment, sitting in a nice suburb reading this.

janice6
01-04-2013, 16:26
The story of the day is that "moderately fat people are healthier and live longer.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/01/science/la-sci-overweight-survival-20130102

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 16:29
There are relatively healthy choices on any menu in a fast food joint. Usually chicken based, some salads. The market has spoken if they don't want it they will not provide it.

These have been proven not to be as healthy as people are led to believe. Research has shown high levels of processed sugars and other unhealthy substances even in McDonald's salads. I'll pass on fast food, but that's because I can afford to.

Phaze5ive
01-04-2013, 16:37
These have been proven not to be as healthy as people are led to believe. Research has shown high levels of processed sugars and other unhealthy substances even in McDonald's salads. I'll pass on fast food, but that's because I can afford to.

Salads, nowadays, have upward of 600 calories and a serving size that is ridiculous. Not only that, I think most people confuse being healthy with not being fat or obese.

JohnBT
01-04-2013, 16:42
"It's cheaper to shove that garbage down your throat than it is to eat healthy."

Especially if there isn't a grocery store in your area and you have to pay bus or cab fare to ride across town and back.

TSAX
01-04-2013, 16:51
"It's cheaper to shove that garbage down your throat than it is to eat healthy."

Especially if there isn't a grocery store in your area and you have to pay bus or cab fare to ride across town and back.

Yep, have you seen how much the food costs at Whole Foods. :wow: My wife said even their organic tampons cost too much.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-04-2013, 16:57
If you have to adapt to liking something, it's not good.

I don't understand. Why would that not be good? People reduce their salt intake over time and eventually they're not using the salt shaker. Same goes for other bad habits.

Kids who are raised not eating junk don't find junk food delicious when they try it. I know quite a few adults who don't have a sweet tooth because they couldn't afford sweet candies and cakes when they were kids. Their taste buds are different.

elsolo
01-04-2013, 17:02
Once I quit drinking sodas, I really lost the taste and craving for them.

The opposite is true with vegetables, used to hate them until I starting eating them more, next thing you know I am craving them.

Your body craves what it knows.

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 17:27
Once I quit drinking sodas, I really lost the taste and craving for them...

This is due to the fact you are no longer feeding your addictive center of your brain. Once you break the addiction the body will automatically drive you to pursue healthier options. Pretty amazing what we can do when we aren't even aware of it.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/addictions/soda-addiction

http://news.menshealth.com/cure-your-soda-addiction/2012/01/02/

http://healthybodydaily.com/dr-oz-challenges/dr-oz-soda-addiction-28-day-challenge/

http://www.fitnessjournal.org/addicted_to_soda.html

Now lets address the cheap fast food...

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/18/your-brain-on-food-obesity-fasting-and-addiction/

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/28/fatty.foods.brain/index.html

http://www.brainfacts.org/Across-the-Lifespan/Diet-and-Exercise/Articles/2012/Food-for-Thought-Obesity-and-Addiction

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5135548_fast-food-addictive.html

The Coup d'etat: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/you-illuminated/201108/7-things-mcdonald-s-knows-about-your-brain

http://ezinearticles.com/?6-Negative-Effects-Of-Eating-Fast-Food&id=175205

So, for those that say it's easy, science says otherwise. And yes... fast food is generally cheaper than wholesome food.

HollowHead
01-04-2013, 20:43

Tell us, oh self-appointed bellweather of all things male and conservative what you ate while homeless. For me, it was far from melon and sauteed chicken breast. HH

CAcop
01-04-2013, 20:48

I pretty much only eat fast food when on road trips.

UtahIrishman
01-04-2013, 22:44
You can buy a foot long sub at Sub Shop for five bucks if you get the sub of the month. Put it on flatbread and load it up with veggies and you have a very healthy lunch...or even two lunches.

I think it's largely a matter of choice. I could care less how others eat and I sometimes eat good and sometimes not so good.

Eating well varies...those that are really poor...as in really poor usually are eating at missions or donated food etc. Some days all that these places might get is left over donuts. So that's what they eat...if someone donates fifty bushels of sprouts...then they eat sprouts.

Overall though I've noticed the extremely poor are generally thinner and in better shape than those on welfare and collecting food-stamps. It's the lazy poor that are collectively getting fatter and fatter.

cowboywannabe
01-04-2013, 22:56
you know food makes people fat, water makes people wet.... maybe its those damned spoons?

KY Moose
01-05-2013, 03:50
Q: "Blame the people or the food?"

A: People

You can eat healthy at home and spend way less money compared to eating fast food.

A head of lettuce, chicken, rice, frozen veggies, and some dry spices to add flavor, etc. are pretty cheap. It mostly boils down to people being to lazy to cook, or to get into some type of physical activity other than operating the tv or gaming console remote.

happyguy
01-05-2013, 04:52
When the famine comes the skinny ones die first.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Gallium
01-05-2013, 05:04
How is good health food more expensive than fast food? I just had a salad for lunch today from HEB grocery store. It was three dollars and fifty cents...... Very filling too, for a 185lbs 6'3 male.

So how was it for a 5ft 2in 300lb person like yourself?
:whistling:

Bren
01-05-2013, 05:36
Tell us, oh self-appointed bellweather of all things male and conservative

Sort of your opposite, then.:upeyes:

what you ate while homeless. For me, it was far from melon and sauteed chicken breast. HH

In other wotrds, your opposite.

When homeless for a short time in the 80's, I cleaned up in bathrooms in a public park and ate whatever was cheap, so I got a job at a restaurant (because, in America, if you want a job you have one) and ate what I could during work and nothing else until I got my first paycheck. However, that was short term - as a child I lived in a housing project and ate what my mother got at the store with foodstamps - you can't use thse for fast food, so people without cash shop at the grocery store, not McDonald's.

okie
01-05-2013, 05:44
:rofl:, but does it hold more than 10 uses per spoon

Mine don't:rofl::rofl:

HollowHead
01-05-2013, 07:00
Sort of your opposite, then.:upeyes:

In other wotrds, your opposite.

When homeless for a short time in the 80's, I cleaned up in bathrooms in a public park and ate whatever was cheap, so I got a job at a restaurant (because, in America, if you want a job you have one) and ate what I could during work and nothing else until I got my first paycheck. However, that was short term - as a child I lived in a housing project and ate what my mother got at the store with foodstamps - you can't use thse for fast food, so people without cash shop at the grocery store, not McDonald's.

Thank you for not only hitting the nail on the head...but slamming it. You are my complete opposite indeed, as I took no public assistance as pride is quite the quality for me. Having no kitchen living in a '71 Duster, I did not have the luxury of a kitchen as you admittingly were afforded so fast food and gas station fare was all I had to live on. Must be nice your way, though, and I envy the softness. HH

SC Tiger
01-05-2013, 07:00

Some grocery stores (the local Ingles for example) have a salad bar as well where you can make your own salad as well. It's about the same price (+/-) as fast food.

"The Biggest Loser" did a thing where they took all the contestants to a grocery store and bought the stuff to make a healthy meal (a chicken wrap I think). Then they went to a park and ate it. The price was about the same as a normal ff meal.

Even things like subbing a baked potato for fries at a Wendy's will help.

Bren
01-05-2013, 11:36
Thank you for not only hitting the nail on the head...but slamming it. You are my complete opposite indeed, as I took no public assistance as pride is quite the quality for me. Having no kitchen living in a '71 Duster, I did not have the luxury of a kitchen as you admittingly were afforded so fast food and gas station fare was all I had to live on. Must be nice your way, though, and I envy the softness. HH

I haven't lived at home since I was 14, but prior to that, I didn't have a lot of options about where to live. Maybe you missed that part while making up your story.

Slick redirection without mentioning the part about how foodstamps don't work in McDonald's.