Opting Out of TSA Body Scanners [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Opting Out of TSA Body Scanners

tarpleyg
01-04-2013, 14:32
I'd like to just remind everyone that, when flying, you have no obligation to go through one of those confounded body scanners. I've had the pleasure of being frisked twice now in the past couple of weeks. Now, I don't like being frisked but I also don't want to subject my body to who knows what from those millimeter wave scanners. I know the goverment says their safe but call me a tad bit skepticle. If just 10% of passengers opted out, it would cripple the TSA at checkpoints. They'd be forced to do something else.

AK_Stick
01-04-2013, 15:01
No they wouldn't.

You missing your flight, because you failed to properly plan, is not thier fault.

You'll increase lines, increase delays, but it wouldn't be thier fault.

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 15:10
No they wouldn't.

You missing your flight, because you failed to properly plan, is not thier fault.

So comply with the government intrusion... it's for your safety. Naw, I don't fly anymore due to the TSA and the simple fact I see them as a direct violation of our 4th Amendment rights. I choose not to fly. But the OP is close to correct. If enough people opted out it would cause a back log and a back lash.

AK_Stick
01-04-2013, 15:15
That's not what I said, I simply said it wouldn't cripple them or force them to do squat. More people would just miss flights.

And someone else missing their flight because they failed to plan isn't TSAs fault or problem.

Bren
01-04-2013, 15:20
That's not what I said, I simply said it wouldn't cripple them or force them to do squat. More people would just miss flights.

And someone else missing their flight because they failed to plan isn't TSAs fault or problem.

Yep - TSA doesn't work for th airline and if you and the people behind you miss your flights, it's no problem for them.

airmotive
01-04-2013, 15:20
No they wouldn't.

In this case, it really IS Bush's fault.

(sent from DFW Terminal D)

dango
01-04-2013, 15:29
I have some rather large interests in this line of work of late.
That being said , Question ? As a TSA employee , would I be allowed to select whom I would like to cavity search ? :tongueout::supergrin:

cdog533
01-04-2013, 15:31
I am really torn on this issue.

I DO NOT like more government intrusion and think these scanners, and the TSA as a whole, is just bull**** window dressing to make the general public feel good.

BUT I don't like some dude touching my nuts/buttcrack. And when I opt out, and get the manual search, I get a lot of nut/buttcrack touching that is unwanted.

(Side note: Can't they hire hot girls for the manual patdowns? Like exotic dancers on their day off? And put them in bikinis? If I am elected president, I will make this happen day 1. This would be way hotter for both guys AND girls!)

However, I do LOVE the looks you get when you opt out! Like you are a terrorist, militia member, or both! People need to understand that NON compliance is the key to making people question government policies.

Snaps
01-04-2013, 15:33
All it would do is make a bunch of people miss flights

Edit: it would cripple the TSA just as badly as if people were to boycott buying gas this Tuesday would cripple the oil companies

sdsnet
01-04-2013, 15:34
So comply with the government intrusion... it's for your safety. Naw, I don't fly anymore due to the TSA and the simple fact I see them as a direct violation of our 4th Amendment rights. I choose not to fly. But the OP is close to correct. If enough people opted out it would cause a back log and a back lash.

I also do not fly anymore unless I absolutely have to for work. Just this last week I volunteered to help my father drive to Tulsa from Houston and back. It turned out being great we got a chance to talk and spend time together. I don't know why the U.S. can't get a clue and learn security from the Israelis.

Sharkey
01-04-2013, 15:41
Some guy was in the news not too long ago for stripping down to his boxers for a search. The judge ruled in his favor.

tarpleyg
01-04-2013, 15:43

I DO NOT like more government intrusion and think these scanners, and the TSA as a whole, is just bull**** window dressing to make the general public feel good.

BUT I don't like some dude touching my nuts/buttcrack. And when I opt out, and get the manual search, I get a lot of nut/buttcrack touching that is unwanted.

(Side note: Can't they hire hot girls for the manual patdowns? Like exotic dancers on their day off? And put them in bikinis? If I am elected president, I will make this happen day 1. This would be way hotter for both guys AND girls!)

However, I do LOVE the looks you get when you opt out! Like you are a terrorist, militia member, or both! People need to understand that NON compliance is the key to making people question government policies.

The more of a show they make, the better as far as I'm concerned. I want people to see people opting out. And for of you that say if thousands of people opted out everyday at any given airport wouldn't make a difference, you simply do not understand how much power the airlines have over our government. The airlines themselves could end the TSA if they chose to do so and a bunch of pissed off customers could be the catalyst.

tarpleyg
01-04-2013, 15:45
Some guy was in the news not too long ago for stripping down to his boxers for a search. The judge ruled in his favor.

What's funny is that thought was going through my head as the guy was patting me down. I'd do it if I thought it would end this nonsense any sooner.

GreenDrake
01-04-2013, 15:45
I had a thread on this not too long ago, with uncalibrated or less than accurate measurements of radiation, I will pass on millimeter wave and back scatter. ANY radiation is bad radiation.

AK_Stick
01-04-2013, 15:47
Missing your flight causes the airlines to profit from your absence.

How do you see that causing them to try and out TSA? Your argument makes no sense.

Snaps
01-04-2013, 15:50
That helps them, they overbook flights expecting people to miss planes.

larry_minn
01-04-2013, 16:01
I'd like to just remind everyone that, when flying, you have no obligation to go through one of those confounded body scanners. I've had the pleasure of being frisked twice now in the past couple of weeks. Now, I don't like being frisked but I also don't want to subject my body to who knows what from those millimeter wave scanners. I know the goverment says their safe but call me a tad bit skepticle. If just 10% of passengers opted out, it would cripple the TSA at checkpoints. They'd be forced to do something else.

THe TSA has changed my travel. I seldom fly. As others said its "security theater" Anyone serious who wants to get stuff by will do it. Holes large enough to drive a van thru. TV and movies give complicated/exacting ways. It could be so simple.

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 16:28
I also do not fly anymore unless I absolutely have to for work. Just this last week I volunteered to help my father drive to Tulsa from Houston and back. It turned out being great we got a chance to talk and spend time together. I don't know why the U.S. can't get a clue and learn security from the Israelis.

It has never been about security and that is the sick irony of the TSA and the various "laws" that have recently been passed. It's about conditioning. Conditioning people to accept more and more infringement into their private doings. It's already moving from airports to bus stations, train stations and events.

The sheep are being conditioned to accept this level of violation, all for the pretense of security.

SpectreRider
01-04-2013, 16:40
If you would like, it is a fact that the patdown consists of touching all CLOTHED parts of your body with the front of the hand, with the exception of the groin and buttocks areas where the back of the hand is used in a sliding motion.

If you strip down to a Speedo swim suit, it should be a very quick pat-down.:supergrin:
.:rofl:

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 16:43

This is TSA. You want a premium product? No, sorry. TSA hires bottom of the barrel folks with no better option.

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 16:44
I had a thread on this not too long ago, with uncalibrated or less than accurate measurements of radiation, I will pass on millimeter wave and back scatter. ANY radiation is bad radiation.

GD - you get radiation on the plane.

cesaros
01-04-2013, 16:46
The craziest crap Ive seen TSA do is try and search my explosive sniffing K9 for....EXPLOSIVES....before letting us through security in Chicago (go figure). That didn't go so well between my K9 lunging at the supervisor who tried to touch him, while I tongue lashed him for delaying me while on official business.

I refuse to pass through body scanners while working..Ill let them pat me down if they can get past my dog..Noone has tried it yet. I just sign the TSA book and move along.

I refuse to fly when traveling outside of official business. I don't like being groped and scanned just for choosing a particular form of travel.

jpa
01-04-2013, 16:53

Actually, there have been people who strip down completely naked. One was in Oregon. He was arrested for public indecency but was found not guilty because he was protesting the TSA's screening process.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/07/19/oregon-tsa-protestor-had-a-constitional-right-to-get-naked/

Why is it when people choose to get naked, it's never "good naked"? :upeyes:

jpa
01-04-2013, 16:58
If you would like, it is a fact that the patdown consists of touching all CLOTHED parts of your body with the front of the hand, with the exception of the groin and buttocks areas where the back of the hand is used in a sliding motion.

If you strip down to a Speedo swim suit, it should be a very quick pat-down.:supergrin:
.:rofl:

Like Party Boy from jackass? :)

I'm not gonna post a pic, google at your own risk. ;)

ray9898
01-04-2013, 17:06
The airlines themselves could end the TSA if they chose to do so and a bunch of pissed off customers could be the catalyst.

LOL....the airlines them self practically begged for the Gov to take over security. 9/11 nearly put them out of business and they were well aware another incident would put much of the industry out of business.

RenoF250
01-04-2013, 17:26

You better get yourself in a metal cell them. You are being irradiated constantly but the sun and various RF sources.

686Owner
01-04-2013, 17:30
I kinda wanted to use the metal bill of rights at the airport so that they take them away when you go through...

http://securityedition.com/cards/

686Owner
01-04-2013, 17:31
You better get yourself in a metal cell them. You are being irradiated constantly but the sun and various RF sources.

There's a reason x-ray techs don't stay in the room when you get an x-ray....

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 17:39
There's a reason x-ray techs don't stay in the room when you get an x-ray....

It's because they do it all day

Or because my shirt is off

686Owner
01-04-2013, 17:46
What's funny is that thought was going through my head as the guy was patting me down. I'd do it if I thought it would end this nonsense any sooner.

Penn Jillette of Penn & Teller did it.

Louisville Glocker
01-04-2013, 17:48
TSA is pretty incompetent, if you ask me. As I mentioned in another thread, they completely missed a pocket knife in my carry on bag (3.5 inch blade).

As for simply not flying, that makes overseas travel quite difficult. We all get natural radiation daily. As a Physicist, I don't think these machines are particularly dangerous from the research I've done. Of course the RF (radio frequency) machines are safer than the ones that use x-rays. I'd say that unless you fly quite frequently, no worries.

nursetim
01-04-2013, 17:52
I'm going to wear my kilt next time I fly. I have always opted out of the scanner. I wonder if I can request a hot tsa woman, or as hot as they get.

2bgop
01-04-2013, 17:53
These threads absolutely amaze me. I would guess over the last decade there are an extremely small number of people who have been on more flights than I have.

In many 100s of flights I have not had a single appalling incident involving the TSA. Now, I tend to agree with certified about many of the people they hire, but I simply have not experienced a gross abuse of my innocence.

Averageman
01-04-2013, 18:28
Couple of things I have noticed.

When I fly with firearms, the Airlines appear to have very little concern as to who they hand that Pelican Case to when I arrive at my destination. I have yet to be asked for ID, just ask for it and they hand it to you.

I noticed in Colorado that one poor TSA Sap spent his entire day swabbing Golf gear, Clubs, shoes and yes, he swabbed the balls too. Now I can guess that this is do to the Nitrates in the fertilizer at the course, at what point does TSA figure that out and just look in the bag and send it on? BTW, this isn't just a one shot deal, it happens every time I pass through.

The rules for what can be carried on seems to depend on whom is at the helm at the time. My flashlight in my carry on has always been fine, except this one time flying from Ft Hood.

I would just be a bit more comfortable if common sense and some bit of standard was used.

cesaros
01-04-2013, 18:31
These threads absolutely amaze me. I would guess over the last decade there are an extremely small number of people who have been on more flights than I have.

In many 100s of flights I have not had a single appalling incident involving the TSA. Now, I tend to agree with certified about many of the people they hire, but I simply have not experienced a gross abuse of my innocence.

And if it never happened to you, its never happened to anyone.

typical 'its not effecting me, so everyone must be crazy' attitude

2bgop
01-04-2013, 18:42
And if it never happened to you, its never happened to anyone.

typical 'its not effecting me, so everyone must be crazy' attitude

Never said it didn't happen. I said I have been on hundreds of flights and spent thousands hours inside airports all over the country, in that time, I have not seen anything close to what I hear described on here.

Huaco Kid
01-04-2013, 18:44

I often fly two or four times per week.

In all honesty, I've revised my guesstimate to be 60 / 40 (It used to be much, much different).

Sixty percent of the TSA seem to me to be O.K. people, just doing their job and doing it professionally.

The other forty percent are nazi-type goons on a serious power trip.

(Here's a tip: They HATE it when you know their rules and play along accordingly.)

BobbyS
01-04-2013, 18:59
What I did the last two times I have flown is keep my wallet in my pocket going through the scanner. This seems to really piss TSA off as they then have to swab your wallet and hands. I tell them my wallet doesn't get left in a bin out of my sight.

2bgop
01-04-2013, 18:59
I often fly two or four times per week.

In all honesty, I've revised my guesstimate to be 60 / 40 (It used to be much, much different).

Sixty percent of the TSA seem to me to be O.K. people, just doing their job and doing it professionally.

The other forty percent are nazi-type goons on a serious power trip.

(Here's a tip: They HATE it when you know their rules and play along accordingly.)

4 flights a week sucks, I did that for years, I hated every minute of it. I have managed to get it down to 6-8 a month now, much less painful.

When do you ever even have a scenario where knowing their rules causes them any grief? I walk up, drop my carry on, laptop and shoes on the belt of the scanner, walk through whatever person scanning machine that airport has, pick up my crap on the other side and leave. At the most it involves 10 words exchanged.

Huaco Kid
01-04-2013, 19:30
When do you ever even have a scenario where knowing their rules causes them any grief?

I've had them call their supervisors and the cops over a four inch pair of wire snippers (I use them to cut the cable ties off my luggage), when they tried to confiscate them and I objected.

And "evil, black" flashlights. Sometimes those are deemed illegal. One guy tried to tell me I couldn't have lithium batteries in my flashlight (yes, he opened it up and looked).

I've never been through the body scanner. I always "opt out". One guy tried to physically push me into it, once, telling me I had no choice. That time was a ruckus that ended well because I know their rules.

Google 'County Comm Ambassador Pen'. Many of the goons hate that thing. (Don't let them take it from you.)

I've raised my voice when they try to separate me from my belongings at the checkpoint. "We'll make you stand 'over there', while taking your carry-on 'over here' " and dumping it out and taking handfulls of it to rerun through the x-ray. By their rules, all your belongs should be allowed to be in your sight at all times. (I've had some TSA guys actually reinforce that rule by telling me "Why are you standing here (because that other guy told me to), when all your stuff is over there?"

I've had them tell me, "We need you to follow us to a private room for further inspection." Not in my lifetime, bud! "Don't make us call Law Enforcement." "If you don't call them, I will." Two minutes later, after they conferred, they changed their minds.

I've never missed a flight.

devildog2067
01-04-2013, 19:32
We all get natural radiation daily. As a Physicist, I don't think these machines are particularly dangerous from the research I've done.

Assuming they are properly calibrated and functioning properly.

Since they are not considered "medical imaging devices" legally they are not subject to the same kinds of controls that a machine in a hospital would be.

Given how many times we've heard about the TSA passing a couple of hundred passengers through a metal detector before realizing that it was off, I don't really trust the TSA to keep the things in good repair.

Of course the RF (radio frequency) machines are safer than the ones that use x-rays. I'd say that unless you fly quite frequently, no worries.[/QUOTE]

mtpisgah
01-04-2013, 19:35
I have six trips planned for this year and will go through the scanner every time. The radiation is the least likely thing to kill or harm me. I am more likely to die from a car wreck, getting hit by a car while crossing the street, choking on a piece of fillet, having my wife stab me when I don't put the seat down, or so many other things that I really don't care about scanners. People who complain about them are just grumpy people who want to complain.

2bgop
01-04-2013, 19:38
I've had them call their supervisors and the cops over a four inch pair of wire snippers (I use them to cut the cable ties off my luggage), when they tried to confiscate them and I objected.

And "evil, black" flashlights. Sometimes those are deemed illegal. One guy tried to tell me I couldn't have lithium batteries in my flashlight (yes, he opened it up and looked).

I've never been through the body scanner. I always "opt out". One guy tried to physically push me into it, once, telling me I had no choice. That time was a ruckus that ended well because I know their rules.

Google 'County Comm Ambassador Pen'. Many of the goons hate that thing. (Don't let them take it from you.)

I've raised my voice when they try to separate me from my belongings at the checkpoint. "We'll make you stand 'over there', while taking your carry-on 'over here' " and dumping it out and taking handfulls of it to rerun through the x-ray. By their rules, all your belongs should be allowed to be in your sight at all times. (I've had some TSA guys actually reinforce that rule by telling me "Why are you standing here (because that other guy told me to), when all your stuff is over there?"

I've had them tell me, "We need you to follow us to a private room for further inspection." Not in my lifetime, bud! "Don't make us call Law Enforcement." "If you don't call them, I will." Two minutes later, after they conferred, they changed their minds.

I've never missed a flight.

I had an agent make fun of Chase Daniel when he saw my Mizzou hat one time. That's about the most drama I have ever had out of the TSA.

devildog2067
01-04-2013, 19:38
I have six trips planned for this year and will go through the scanner every time. The radiation is the least likely thing to kill or harm me. I am more likely to die from a car wreck, getting hit by a car while crossing the street, choking on a piece of fillet, having my wife stab me when I don't put the seat down, or so many other things that I really don't care about scanners. People who complain about them are just grumpy people who want to complain.

You're very, very unlikely to be the target of a violent crime, so why do you own a gun?

Huaco Kid
01-04-2013, 19:47
I had an agent make fun of Chase Daniel when he saw my Mizzou hat one time. That's about the most drama I have ever had out of the TSA.

You are more congenial than I am. Admittedly, I often have 'an attitude'.

Ignore the the guy trying to give you a "chat-down", and see what happens. Smile politely, give him a friendly nod, turn away, and ignore him.

How dare you?

W4CNG
01-04-2013, 20:00
I had a stain less steel money clip from the USOC that had a 1 inch fingernale file and a 1 inch knife in it that I carried on more than 30 flights in the early 2000's after 911. It took the children at TSA in Chicago to catch it in 2005 which was in the top pocket of my carry-on bag. It flew thru all other check points mostly from Atlanta to all other stops. They told me "This is not allowed". I told them they were the first to find it in more than 4 years as I always carry this money clip. They offered to let me mail it back home, but I delcined. Someone up there has a really nice money clip. I do not have much belief in "Security Scans" at US airports. On my last trip to Europe with my wife we were "Profiled" at arrival and departure from London. When you get greeted before the check in desk you know what is happening.

tsmo1066
01-04-2013, 20:04
TSA is pretty incompetent, if you ask me. As I mentioned in another thread, they completely missed a pocket knife in my carry on bag (3.5 inch blade).

I had a similar experience with a small Swiss Army knife I used to use as a keychain. I didn't even think about it as a weapon and flew between Houston and Charlotte about 6 times on business with it before anyone even noticed it. I would put my keys in the small "pocket articles" bowl and I guess the TSA didn't even think to really scrutinize those items. Sort of a "hiding in plain sight" phenomenon.

They finally caught it on one trip when I was coming BACK from Charlotte and asked me if I wanted to ship it home or throw it away. It wasn't worth the cost of a FedEx packet so I just tossed it.

:dunno:

hooligan74
01-04-2013, 20:08

You're exposed to more radiation during your flight than during the body scan.

ysr_racer
01-04-2013, 20:08
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have complete faith in the TSA

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL856/883856/2773051/404815436.jpg

Huaco Kid
01-04-2013, 20:15
They offered to let me mail it back home, but I delcined.

It was long ago, and far away, at some airport (I don't remember) and they found something illegal thing I had. They gave me an envelope, pre-stamped, and a box I could put my thing in (a knife, I think). Like, three months later, I received it in the mail.

I now carry pre-addressed overly-stamped envelopes for those "Oops" moments when I'm at the airport.

I've gone outside after the "Oops" moment, before security, and buried my Spyderco in the grass, or a planter, and retrieved it two weeks later.

mtpisgah
01-04-2013, 20:15
You're very, very unlikely to be the target of a violent crime, so why do you own a gun?

80% of the guns I own were passed down to me by family as "heirlooms". The other 20% I bought mainly just to use for target practice. Really. I want a rifle just to target shoot with, a SHTF senerio is the last thing on my mind.

I have had my CWP for five years and have carried a gun twice. Both times to see if it was something I could easily conceal. Honestly, I am not very worried about being a target. I choose to live my life without worry on a daily basis.

I am not going to give up my guns though.

scratchy wilson
01-04-2013, 20:16
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have complete faith in the TSA

She hiding a Toshiba laptop?

Averageman
01-04-2013, 20:16
Didn't she have someones Laptop here a while back???

Averageman
01-04-2013, 20:17
Dude you got in before me by seconds,...great minds!

scratchy wilson
01-04-2013, 20:17
I'm going to wear my kilt next time I fly.

Thought about that too.

Freedom!

scratchy wilson
01-04-2013, 20:20
Dude you got in before me by seconds,...great minds!

:uglylol:

2bgop
01-04-2013, 20:28
It was long ago, and far away, at some airport (I don't remember) and they found something illegal thing I had. They gave me an envelope, pre-stamped, and a box I could put my thing in (a knife, I think). Like, three months later, I received it in the mail.

I now carry pre-addressed overly-stamped envelopes for those "Oops" moments when I'm at the airport.

I've gone outside after the "Oops" moment, before security, and buried my Spyderco in the grass, or a planter, and retrieved it two weeks later.

At my home airport I was about 3 people away from having to put my bag on the belt of the x-ray machine when a horrible fear hit me. I find a loaded P229 mag in my carry on, I have already went past the first screener and can't just walk out, so I walk over to the only trash can close and throw away a few papers and the mag, the only thing was the can was completely empty. It sounded like a bowl ball hitting the bottom of that trash can.

airmotive
01-04-2013, 20:35
Everyone, please...nobody cares about the radiation.
It's the simple existence of the TSA that turns my stomach.
Even the people who howl the loudest about the scanners will, when noone else is around, admit that the whole radiation complaint is nothing more than just one more pointy object to poke the TSA with.
The reason so many people (myself included) nitpick at everything the TSA does is because of the very existance of this neo-brownshirt pseudo-LEO, $8 BILLION per year boondoggle that serves no other purpose other than to train the traveling public to submit-on-command to every whim of any government "authority", regardless of how little actual authority that iron-on badge actually carries.

If you don't mind the TSA, you're training is complete.
Congratulations.

...ahhhh...that was cathartic.

devildog2067
01-04-2013, 20:59
Even the people who howl the loudest about the scanners will, when noone else is around, admit that the whole radiation complaint is nothing more than just one more pointy object to poke the TSA with.

I'm perfectly willing to admit it out loud.

tslex
01-04-2013, 21:14
. . .
The reason so many people (myself included) nitpick at everything the TSA does is because of the very existance of this neo-brownshirt pseudo-LEO, $8 BILLION per year boondoggle that serves no other purpose other than to train the traveling public to submit-on-command to every whim of any government "authority", regardless of how little actual authority that iron-on badge actually carries.

If you don't mind the TSA, you're training is complete.
Congratulations.

...ahhhh...that was cathartic.

But. . . but . . . but if it saves even one life. . . .

Oh wait: http://suburbansheepdog.blogspot.com/2010/11/bad-touch.html

DanaT
01-04-2013, 21:32
I see a bunch of people that claim to fly a lot, yet no-one seems to have brought up pre-check.....

Very fast. No shoes off. No liquid out of bags. No porno scanners.

devildog2067
01-04-2013, 21:38
I see a bunch of people that claim to fly a lot, yet no-one seems to have brought up pre-check.....
Neither of the airlines I have status on have invited me, and I don't have time to go to a Global Entry enrollment center for an interview.

DanaT
01-04-2013, 21:40
Neither of the airlines I have status on have invited me, and I don't have time to go to a Global Entry enrollment center for an interview.

They dont like you so much...

2bgop
01-04-2013, 21:58

I had a clear card, but it was pretty much a joke.

Huaco Kid
01-04-2013, 22:03

I won't apply for pre-check.

Maybe the airlines could choose for: "Yes! TSA!, or "No !TSA!".

I would choose a non-TSA airflight, if it was my choice.

I've been in upstate Alaska, where if you were at the airport, just standing there, you got on the plane. Imagine that.

If the airlines gave that choice to everyone....

well, that won't happen...

I would choose the, walk onto the plane and fly away option.

(Every six moths or so, I email my most frequent carriers, and tell them about my TSA concerns. They don't care. I get a form letter back.)

That's why I drive twelve hours, before I'll fly.

The regular carriers don't seem to care.

devildog2067
01-04-2013, 22:36
They dont like you so much...

I'm sure I fly fewer miles than you, and my spend is split up among a couple of different airlines.

Morris
01-04-2013, 22:53
It's your choice to opt out. No harm in doing so. The professionals expect it. The power trippers wig out. Interesting to watch.

That being said, every time we fly, my T1D daughter get's her insulin pump swabbed for explosives. Yet the needles and epipen in her kit don't bat an eye.

Several years ago, I was directed out for a search. It was laughably weak and I told the agent so. He got pissed and started yammering at me. My wife calmly walked up and handed me my wallet while saying, "Here's you badge and credentials, honey." The look on his face was priceless. Better part was, I later learned he was an academy washout.

Like anything or any career, you get the professionals and then you get the idiots. You don't hear about the pros. You hear about the idiots.

airmotive
01-05-2013, 06:45

I do pre-check.
IMHO, it works how all airport security should work.
The passenger is evaluated based on risk, not his fingernail file.

What made 9/11 possible was NOT a lack of airport security.

What made 9/11 possible was an entire society (government, airlines, pilots, passengers....everybody) that had been conditioned over the last 30 years to sit quietly during a hijacking and wait for a list of demands from the hijackers.

SC Tiger
01-05-2013, 07:11
I have thought about going through one of those wearing something really strange under my clothes, just to see their reaction. Alas, I don't fly much because I hate it. Not the ride on the plane, the BS before and afterwards.

SC Tiger
01-05-2013, 07:12

No she did not, and she will thank you for not making false accusations against her!!!

It was a Toshiba Tablet, not a laptop.

DanaT
01-05-2013, 07:45
Here is a hint.

If you are medically unable to raise your arms above your shoulder (i.e. ski accident) and a torn tendon, they must send you through the magnetometer. You are at that point not opting out of the scanner, you are medically not able to go through it and they have the magnetometer.

hooligan74
01-05-2013, 08:26

Yep, I fly every week. Pre-check is the shizzle. I didn't do the Global Entry thing, USAirways "sponsored" me, so as long as I'm flying USAir I'm eligible for pre-check.

Thinking about doing the Global Entry thing, as well.

The really smart thing for them to do would be to allow everyone with a DoD clearance to be part of Global Entry without the interview.

IceAxe
01-05-2013, 08:34
Here is a hint.

If you are medically unable to raise your arms above your shoulder (i.e. ski accident) and a torn tendon, they must send you through the magnetometer. You are at that point not opting out of the scanner, you are medically not able to go through it and they have the magnetometer.

This is exactly what I do every time I encounter anything other than a WTMD - never said I was medically unable, they infer it - and have never had additional screening as follow up. Likewise, the airports where TSA likes to play the "name-game", I just smile point to my throat and shake my head - never been an issue. Kabuki theater masquerading as "security" or as another poster said: compliance training is what they're after.

tarpleyg
01-05-2013, 09:26
4 flights a week sucks, I did that for years, I hated every minute of it. I have managed to get it down to 6-8 a month now, much less painful.

When do you ever even have a scenario where knowing their rules causes them any grief? I walk up, drop my carry on, laptop and shoes on the belt of the scanner, walk through whatever person scanning machine that airport has, pick up my crap on the other side and leave. At the most it involves 10 words exchanged.

And that's exactly what they want all of us to do. When is it too much though? How about if you have to do all that if you want to go see a movie or a baseball game? We are being conditioned, folks. For what, I have no clue but I have had enough of it.

As for the TSA being unprofessional. I've never witnessed that. They have always been very courteous to me and my family. I go through security about 10 times a year.

certifiedfunds
01-05-2013, 09:27

Her purpose is to stand in the rope lane and impede the terrorists if they make a dash for the terminal.

And she goes for cinnabuns

HalfHazzard
01-05-2013, 09:52
ANY radiation is bad radiation.

Turns out from just being in your house, you get 200-300 mRem of radiation per year. I'll let you figure out if its all bad for you.

sheriff733
01-05-2013, 09:58
Been through the body scanner a couple times. No problem at all and took about 5 seconds.

No problem.

devildog2067
01-05-2013, 09:58
Turns out from just being in your house, you get 200-300 mRem of radiation per year. I'll let you figure out if its all bad for you.

Not all radiation is the same.

HalfHazzard
01-05-2013, 10:12
Not all radiation is the same.

True. I was referring to only natural ionizing radiation.

HalfHazzard
01-05-2013, 10:15
Has anyone pointed out the fact that there will never be another airliner high jacked using knives? We lock the pilot's door now, which should be enough, but every other attempt has been met with passengers beating up the suspected terrorist.

The TSA, if it didn't exist just to give jobs and for a perception of security, should be looking for more exotic ways to bring an airliner down. An operation involving a double agent in Syria about a year ago is one way... the Cartels are using some interesting ways to smuggle things as well.