USPS Holding A Package [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USPS Holding A Package

USMCsilver
01-04-2013, 17:52
Let's say something has signature confirmation and the receiving party is not home.

How long will the USPS hold that package at their location without sending back to the sender?

Seems I can't find that information on their website.

Thanks! :wavey:

michael e
01-04-2013, 17:55
Last time I got that letter on door it says 3 times total. After that they send it back. They left me a card with number to call if I wanted them to hold it at local office to pick up. Now for as how long on time , no clue.

The Fed
01-04-2013, 17:56
I would call your local post office. They are the ones that will be doing it but if you have a hold on your mail they will hold it until you come back.

Do you have a mailbox? They will leave a note in it. Are you purposely trying to duck the delivery? Legal notification you don't want to accept?

USMCsilver
01-04-2013, 18:02
I got a card in the mail today.

Going outta town for a few days and wanna make sure it doesn't get returned to sender. Got neighbors watching house/getting mail, but that doesn't really do many any good in this case.

I guess I'll try to call the PO tomorrow. I could go by in the AM, but I was wanting to head out before they open. Also -- they might not have it at the PO; it could go back out for delivery. If that were the case, I'd delay my trip and not have my package.

michael e
01-04-2013, 18:10
I would think if you contact them they would try and work something out with you. But then again that would require good customer service so maybe they wouldn't .

devildog2067
01-04-2013, 18:14
Let's say something has signature confirmation and the receiving party is not home.

How long will the USPS hold that package at their location without sending back to the sender?

Typically 14 days, but a couple of times when I was living in Switzerland I called my local post office and they held it for slightly longer than that. YMMV depending on the size of your local post office.

certifiedfunds
01-04-2013, 18:19
Knowing what you are probably waiting on, just have them forward it to me and I'll hold it for you.

The Fed
01-04-2013, 18:31
The workers are at the post office before they open. See if you can call before then or stop by.

USMCsilver
01-04-2013, 19:02
I think I'll just call tomorrow.

Wyoming
01-04-2013, 19:40
Proper procedure is to get a "final notice" in five days. In the bottom left side of the slip will have the date of return. 15 days for items unless stamped "perishable" then 10 days. Perishable are not returned.

If an Express you should receive final notice in three days to pick up in five days or item will be returned.

Many Post Offices are under staff so may take longer for final notice and returns so may be delayed.

All foreign items except Express will be kept 30 days, same as CODs.

Wyoming
01-04-2013, 19:46
I got a card in the mail today.

Going outta town for a few days and wanna make sure it doesn't get returned to sender. Got neighbors watching house/getting mail, but that doesn't really do many any good in this case.

I guess I'll try to call the PO tomorrow. I could go by in the AM, but I was wanting to head out before they open. Also -- they might not have it at the PO; it could go back out for delivery. If that were the case, I'd delay my trip and not have my package.

Unless "restricted signature" anyone can pick up your item IF they have the notice. They would be considered as your "agent"

You can go on line at usps.com (under manage your mail) and put your mail on hold for 30 days and pick up your item later.

clarson_75
01-05-2013, 10:31
our local post office leaves a card in your box or in the door saying that they will try 3 times before returning the package. there is also a spot on the same card that you can sign and date, and then leave in the box or stuck in your door. if they see the card is signed they will take that card as your signature and leave the package. Then again I live in a town of 4200 people so things could be different other places.

Cybercowboy
01-05-2013, 10:33
I know UPS is three times because that just happened to a package we sent to a friend as a Christmas present.

Wyoming
01-05-2013, 11:57
our local post office leaves a card in your box or in the door saying that they will try 3 times before returning the package. there is also a spot on the same card that you can sign and date, and then leave in the box or stuck in your door. if they see the card is signed they will take that card as your signature and leave the package. Then again I live in a town of 4200 people so things could be different other places.

Do you know the difference between UPS and USPS?