PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS May Make Me Leave iPhone

Eric
01-04-2013, 18:41
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Ubuntu Linux on a smart phone? I am there. Eric

Ruggles
01-04-2013, 19:09
Not me baby I am staying Apple! :) Of course I am a Apple nerd since the 80s.....

Eric
01-04-2013, 19:12
Not me baby I am staying Apple! :) Of course I am a Apple nerd since the 80s.....

Apple is the best of the Unix/Linux OS, with the worst of Microsoft's controlling nature mixed in. I am a big fan of truly Open Source software and I've been running Ubuntu for years. In fact, I am typing this message on an Acer desktop running Ubuntu. Good stuff. Eric

cowboy1964
01-04-2013, 19:12
I'd rather stick with Android.

Eric
01-04-2013, 19:17

Ubuntu has that covered too: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

mrmedina
01-04-2013, 19:19
I barely bought my first Iphone(5) a week ago. Let me use it first.:wavey:

Ruggles
01-04-2013, 19:21
Apple is the best of the Unix/Linux OS, with the worst of Microsoft's controlling nature mixed in. I am a big fan of truly Open Source software and I've been running Ubuntu for years. In fact, I am typing this message on an Acer desktop running Ubuntu. Good stuff. Eric

True enough. When I was into PC Games I had some Window systems.....too many bad moments with issues to ever want to go back there.

I have never been let down by either Apple hardware or software. I have no doubts there are other equally good products out there but Windows is not one IMO. Not familiar at all with Ubuntu though. :dunno:

Snaps
01-04-2013, 19:22
Not me, I just finished replacing everything from the time I fell for the hype and wanted the latest and greatest fancy gadgets. Now I'm back to all apple

Jack_Pine
01-04-2013, 19:23
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

Ubuntu Linux on a smart phone? I am there. Eric

Looks cool... Samsung made us do the move a couple of month ago......

This whole thing sucks though...unless you pay full price you can't upgrade devices at will....someday that needs to change...another thread...

Eric
01-04-2013, 19:24
True enough. When I was into PC Games I had some Window systems.....too many bad moments with issues to ever want to go back there.

I have never been let down by either Apple hardware or software. I have no doubts there are other equally good products out there but Windows is not one IMO. Not familiar at all with Ubuntu though. :dunno:

If you have a spare system sitting around, download it and try it. For that matter, set up a current system to dual-boot with it or install it in a virtual container in Parallels. It is an outstanding OS.

I used Debian Linux for many years, before discovering Ubuntu. Glock Talk was hosted on servers running Debian Linux, with custom kernels I built, for over a decade. I don't host on my own servers now, or I would be running the place on Ubuntu-powered servers. It is good stuff. Eric

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 19:29

Ah yes a Linux derivative!

Ruggles
01-04-2013, 19:33
If you have a spare system sitting around, download it and try it. For that matter, set up a current system to dual-boot with it or install it in a virtual container in Parallels. It is an outstanding OS.

I used Debian Linux for many years, before discovering Ubuntu. Glock Talk was hosted on servers running Debian Linux, with custom kernels I built, for over a decade. I don't host on my own servers now, or I would be running the place on Ubuntu-powered servers. It is good stuff. Eric

Cool I will do it. I am about ready for a new MacBook Air in March. Had the MacBook PRo for 48 months now and I really like the lightweight and slimness o f the MacBook Air. When I get that I will download it on this MacBook Pro :)

Heck I still like to see OS 9 on my Clamshell iBook running, good old school stuff :)

Eric
01-04-2013, 19:35
Cool I will do it. I am about ready for a new MacBook Air in March. Had the MacBook PRo for 48 months now and I really like the lightweight and slimness o f the MacBook Air. When I get that I will download it on this MacBook Pro :)

Heck I still like to see OS 9 on my Clamshell iBook running, good old school stuff :)

I run an instance of Ubuntu in Parallels, on My Mabook Pro and I use it quite a bit. It is a powerful OS. Eric

Dragoon44
01-04-2013, 19:42
Most industry pundits are writing off ubuntu phone OS as too little to late.

it's to far behind the curve to ever catch Android or Apple.

And as one pointed out, ubuntu true open source OS is going to be anathama to carriers. And without carrier support it will be relegated to a minor niche for Linux lovers flashing the OS to their phones.

Eric
01-04-2013, 19:44

And as one pointed out, ubuntu true open source OS is going to be anathama to carriers. And without carrier support it will be relegated to a minor niche for Linux lovers flashing the OS to their phones.

We'll see. Ubuntu is taking a novel approach to unifying the OS'es of all consumer electronics. I hope they succeed. Eric

Dragoon44
01-04-2013, 19:51
We'll see. Ubuntu is taking a novel approach to unifying the OS'es of all consumer electronics. I hope they succeed. Eric

I agree it is a great idea. But to go mainstream means over coming the iron fisted grip of the carriers.

Otherwise we are just going to end up with the duopoly of Android and Apple.

Eric
01-04-2013, 19:54
I agree it is a great idea. But to go mainstream means over coming the iron fisted grip of the carriers.

Otherwise we are just going to end up with the duopoly of Android and Apple.

Or we may end up with an entirely new game. 'Control' is an elusive beast. Try to control it too much and it squirts right out of your grasp. I think Ubuntu and some other Linux flavors have done an outstanding job of fighting their way into the mainstream against some pretty tall odds and deep pockets. I wouldn't write them off just yet. If Open Source initiatives lose, we all lose in the end. Eric

Ruggles
01-04-2013, 20:03
Or we may end up with an entirely new game. 'Control' is an elusive beast. Try to control it too much and it squirts right out of your grasp. I think Ubuntu and some other Linux flavors have done an outstanding job of fighting their way into the mainstream against some pretty tall odds and deep pockets. I wouldn't write them off just yet. If Open Source initiatives lose, we all lose in the end. Eric

I agree. As I said I have been a Apple nerd since the Apple IIc in 1986. I remember well when Apple was maybe 5% of the market if that. Software & hardware were darn near impossible to find. Apple looked like they were going to go belly up. And now look at them.....

I would have never guessed it would happen as much as I love their product. Heck I bought Apple stock at $22 and sold it at $44 thinking I was the man for doubling my money....I can't even look at the stock price now cause it makes me sick :crying:

Somewhere around $540 os so now I think. Was over $600.....and so ended my great stock to riches schemes :rofl:

Eric
01-04-2013, 20:04
Spot Apple - "Apple Forrest Gump" - YouTube

Dragoon44
01-04-2013, 20:06

I think the key to change is not going to be a New OS it is going to be new players in the wireless market. Ones willing to give up some of that control AND provide wireless services cheaper than the big 3 do.

Google has been making noises about entering the wireless business wanting to provide unlimited data plans for 9.99 a month. THAT would shake up the industry if they can pull it off.

Another completely open source Phone OS would certainly be attractive to the manufacturers. Samsung is forging ahead with it's "Tizen" phone OS to reduce it's dependency on Android. If that does not work out, (As their previous attempts have not) Just maybe they will take a hard look at Ubuntu.

Ruggles
01-04-2013, 20:18
Spot Apple - "Apple Forrest Gump" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNa4EMUWnAc)

:rofl:

Man that ain't nice. I could have gotten that letter instead :rofl:

sappy13
01-04-2013, 20:24
Iv been holding off getting a phone for ages so that I could get this. I remember reading about it a while back where you would plug your phone into a monitor and have a full pc.

droidfire
01-04-2013, 21:03

problem with android is it isn't standalone, you must have a linux box somewhere to compile a kernel, everything else you can do on device. The hardware is there now if you are patient, but even with the sg3 international version it takes a long, long time.

we've been running linux and windows virtually on android hardware fora bit over a year now, but this is a much less resource intensive approach.

stolenphot0
01-04-2013, 21:06

I was just running OS9 two weeks ago for an old project. :supergrin: I missed it until I tried using a long file name. :rofl:

Dragoon44
01-07-2013, 19:44
Hey Eric!!

You bought a Samsung galaxy Nexus yet???

According to canonical ubuntu phone OS will be available for download for Galaxy Nexus phones in February.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/canonical-narrows-timeframe-for-ubuntu-for-smartphones-February/

Dragoon44
01-08-2013, 07:10
AN early Alpha build of Ubuntu OS running on a Galaxy Nexus phone.

http://www.androidcentral.com/first-look-ubuntu-os-galaxy-nexus

Eric
01-08-2013, 07:49
I am interested in the development of this new phone OS, but I'll give it a little time to mature, before taking the plunge. I'm sure it will only get better. Eric

Dragoon44
01-08-2013, 09:10
That is what I said about android. My first hands on with Android was with Eclair, I figured it would be version 4 before it was really worth having.

In all it took nearly 5 years for Android to mature and be an OS worth taking a serious look at. Android pre Ice cream sandwich\Jelly bean on mid range to entry level phones was just awful.

Ubuntu may follow the same path. the articles I have red mention they are initially aiming it at emerging markets. The advantage ubuntu will have is that even entry level smartphones are pretty powerful these days.

Dennis in MA
01-08-2013, 09:16
Paint me an end user. I just want to turn the box on and have it work.

Sort of like a toaster. Sure, you got them fancy toasters 100 yrs ago with that new-fangled Electricity. And all sorts of fiddling. Some poeple still like to fiddle with their toast, so they buy vintage fiddling toasters and such. I just want toast, not the toasting experience. I don't want to know the best wire for it. I don't want to know the optimum distance for proper toastability. I just want some f'in toast!

Same with computers. At one time, I LOVED fiddling with them. Now I want them (and my phone) to just work. b'BYE PC's. Gimme Apple - it just works.

TBO
01-08-2013, 09:44
I read an article on CNET a few days ago discussing the in development mobile OS's and their potential for success.

No, we don't really need another smartphone OS

Ubuntu, Tizen, and Firefox OS are all around the next bend, but with more-established platforms struggling, can the market support the noobs?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57561675-94/no-we-dont-really-need-another-smartphone-os/