an idea for an EDC setup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : an idea for an EDC setup

circa02
01-04-2013, 20:41
I have an idea for an EDC setup. Note that I can't do any of this any time soon, for reasons I'd rather not explain right now. This is just preparing for the future. I'm only comfortable with revolvers for concealed carry, so I want to carry 2 for a "New York reload". One to pocket carry, like a S&W 442 or a Ruger LCR, and another for ankle carry, one with a full size extractor rod. I choose pocket carry as my primary because I'm not really a belt wearer, plus when I'm home I almost always wear either shorts or sweats above shorts. With my secondary on my ankle, I don't have to worry about drawing while seated, and carrying a revolver with a full extractor rod means much easier reloading if necessary. I'm quite a small person, 5 feet half an inch to be exact, with child hands, so small grips aren't a problem for me. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BenjiEDF
01-04-2013, 21:10
I think the LCR is a good choice. Honestly I don't know much about revolvers myself, but I've shot one and it was nice. I would suggest getting two of the exact same gun, as one for pocket carry would be a good size for ankle carry and you can stock up on the same caliber, also use the same speedloaders etc. That's prob what I'd do given your taste in preferences. Did you want advice on ankle holsters and stuff or just the selection of the revolver? Asking so other forum members can chime in.

circa02
01-04-2013, 22:56
I'll take any advice about holsters, guns, ammo, weight issues, anything really.

collim1
01-04-2013, 23:40
I dunno about about pocket and ankle carry. I'd rather have a SP101 on my belt and a speedloader in a belt pouch on my weak side. Put the smaller jframe on your ankle as a BUG.

I have carried a BUG on my ankle for almost 9 years now, and anything bigger than a jframe is really annoying, I tried a G26 for a few months and didn't like it. Most likely any revolver with a full length extractor rod is going to be bigger and heavier than a jframe.

Not sure about pocket carry without a belt either. A 1lb jframe in your pocket is really gonna sag your pants without a belt.

Pocket carry is great for discreet carry when needed, but I prefer having my primary gun on my belt.
I do agree with your preference for revolvers though.

Bill Lumberg
01-05-2013, 09:19
Not legal, set on revolvers, for pocket and ankle carry, want to carry a second gun instead of carrying one accessible one. Not really a belt wearer. Wow, why don't you just go blackpowder? It's the only way your "EDC" concept could get much worse. Good luck with whatever you're waiting for (either turning 18 or getting your record expunged). I wish you the best. Let us know how it works out. I have an idea for an EDC setup. Note that I can't do any of this any time soon, for reasons I'd rather not explain right now. This is just preparing for the future. I'm only comfortable with revolvers for concealed carry, so I want to carry 2 for a "New York reload". One to pocket carry, like a S&W 442 or a Ruger LCR, and another for ankle carry, one with a full size extractor rod. I choose pocket carry as my primary because I'm not really a belt wearer, plus when I'm home I almost always wear either shorts or sweats above shorts. With my secondary on my ankle, I don't have to worry about drawing while seated, and carrying a revolver with a full extractor rod means much easier reloading if necessary. I'm quite a small person, 5 feet half an inch to be exact, with child hands, so small grips aren't a problem for me. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

circa02
01-05-2013, 11:25
I'm waiting for my financial and living situation to change. No need to jump the the conclusion that I'm a criminal.

cowboy1964
01-05-2013, 13:54
We have some real grumpy people around here.

Stevekozak
01-05-2013, 14:13
We have some real grumpy people around here.
Yeah,,,,,,,grumpy.........:whistling:

WT
01-05-2013, 14:29
A bellyband and sweatpants is a match made in Heaven.

The bellyband has a slot for a J-frame and other slots for speedloaders or speedstrips, folding knife, whatever. The belt can be shifted so the revolver is either in front or towards one side. It works great when sitting down.

Cover it with a golf shirt (I don't play polo so I have no polo shirts) or a sweatshirt.

Carry a lightweight J-frame like a S&W Model 642.

circa02
01-05-2013, 15:02
Some fallow up questions. Can ankle holsters be used barefoot? I ask because when I'm home I'm almost always without shoes. Also, What would you say would be the maximum weight I should consider for both ankle and pocket carry? Remember, I'm 5 ft.

Ryobi
01-05-2013, 15:27
My thoughts exactly. Good luck OP. keep it light on the ankle. Not legal, set on revolvers, for pocket and ankle carry, want to carry a second gun instead of carrying one accessible one. Not really a belt wearer. Wow, why don't you just go blackpowder? It's the only way your "EDC" concept could get much worse. Good luck with whatever you're waiting for (either turning 18 or getting your record expunged). I wish you the best. Let us know how it works out.

NEVRL8T
01-05-2013, 16:28
I am the noob so, what does EDC mean? It's not listed in the thread with all of the other abbreviations.

Ryobi
01-05-2013, 16:45
Every day carry. Kind of like BTF. An abbreviation without cause. Good question though.

countrygun
01-05-2013, 17:03
Never been real hot on the idea of a BUG for what is concealed carry anyway, unless they are different guns for different purposes. (For instance I might have a large bore revolver under my coat during hunting season and a small .22 auto in pocket) I figure that any situation I get into CCW is going to be handled, in large part, by the bad guy being surprised that I was armed. I am searching my memory and the only time I can recall a civilian going to a BUG, was that jewelry store owner in LA a few years ago who had several guns stashed and kept moving from one to the next as he repelled a gang trying to rob him.

I'd rather have my 3" 65 in its place behind my hip and a speedloader than two small .38s scattered about my person, as far as CCW goes.

circa02
01-05-2013, 17:20
^
I love you're sig, where did you get that from?

countrygun
01-05-2013, 19:04
^
I love you're sig, where did you get that from?

A moment of whimsy

circa02
01-06-2013, 18:25
How much weight is too much for pocket carry for someone my size?