Substitute for Photo Vest? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Photo Vest?

Jim
01-04-2013, 20:19
I've used the traditional "shoot me first" photo vest on many occasions, but there's no denying that it screams "gun" to anyone who knows the streets. So I'm looking for an alternative garment that will still properly conceal the gun behind my hip, cool in warm weather, and not attract attention. No thunderwear or tuckables for me.

Some possibilities:

A polo shirt, untucked, can work very well. But it tends to print more than the vest if I need to bend, and a one-handed draw is rather slow.

A sport coat or windbreaker is good in cool weather, but fails the sweat test on warm days.

Some friends have used an untucked and unbuttoned shirt, with a t-shirt underneath to hide the hairy chest. Looks better than you might think, but the lightweight shirt will blow open much more easily than the vest.

There's got to be some better ideas...

RPVG
01-04-2013, 20:31
"... A polo shirt, untucked, can work very well. But it tends to print more than the vest if I need to bend, and a one-handed draw is rather slow..."Not if you wear 'em loose.

"... Some friends have used an untucked and unbuttoned shirt, with a t-shirt underneath to hide the hairy chest. Looks better than you might think, but the lightweight shirt will blow open much more easily than the vest..."I leave my T-shirt untucked, too. Even if the unbuttoned shirt blows open... NBD.

tshadow6
01-04-2013, 20:36
I wear Colombia and Reel Legend shirts almost exclusively. Buy them one size up, and a full size 1911 disappears. Buy a good gun belt also.

papercidal
01-04-2013, 20:42
Mechanics style button up shirt untucked with the lower button undone to allow access.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Dickies/1574_CH_M_F?$list$

Acujeff
01-04-2013, 20:56
I am partial to the excellent vests from Concealed Carry Clothiers. I especially like their vest pocket holsters for mag, OC or combatlite carry.

http://concealedcarry.com/categories/Vests/

Reswob
01-04-2013, 21:21
T-shirt (not a super-tight ********* t-shirt). Done.

Professor Zero
01-05-2013, 04:47
Magellan's Travel Vest. Very low profile. Very lightweight.

http://www.magellans.com/magellan-s-travel-vest/

Bren
01-05-2013, 05:12
I wear Hawaiian and similar shirts in summer.

However, if you like the vest, wear it. Half the people with those "it screams gun" responses aren't even old enough to get a gun yet. (hint, straight men don't say things "scream" unless they are making a high pitched sound like woman). The public? - you could hang 2 guns on the outside of it and it still wouldn't tell them you are armed. At most it "screams" "guy dressed like a photographer who may be a child molester" and that will just help get them to keep their kids from bothering you.

xmanhockey7
01-05-2013, 06:38

However, if you like the vest, wear it. Half the people with those "it screams gun" responses aren't even old enough to get a gun yet. (hint, straight men don't say things "scream" unless they are making a high pitched sound like woman). The public? - you could hang 2 guns on the outside of it and it still wouldn't tell them you are armed. At most it "screams" "guy dressed like a photographer who may be a child molester" and that will just help get them to keep their kids from bothering you.

:rofl:

robhic
01-05-2013, 09:42

I am always amused and educated with your no-nonsense answers. If only people could just lighten up and follow this wisdom!

collim1
01-05-2013, 17:03
I dont think a vest screams gun. Maybe to the guys who frequent gun boards, but I've never given them a second look, and dont think the average joe would either.

dosei
01-05-2013, 18:35
Camp Shirts with the buttons replaced with magnetic "buttons". As the shirts wears out, salvage the magnetic closures and use them on the next shirt.