Kimber not going full battery [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber not going full battery

9mmmountaineer
01-04-2013, 22:14
Title says it all...Went to range with my buddy and his 3" ultra covert II continually doesn't return to full battery, prob 1 in every 6-8 rounds. All he has to do is take his thumb and push slide forward, but he shouldn't have to.

Any suggestions

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fnfalman
01-04-2013, 23:26
My first thought would be new recoil spring. Unless the gun is new, then it's something else like maybe the chamber is a bit too tight or not polished enough. Or the gun is too dirty.

Rinspeed
01-04-2013, 23:41
Title says it all...Went

Any suggestions

Mini 1911s have always been a joke. :dunno:

DWARREN123
01-05-2013, 01:34
Call/e-mail Kimber. They made and now should make it right.

1911Tuner
01-05-2013, 02:31
Check the extractor deflection. If there's too much of the tensioning wall showing in the breechface, it'll cause that. I like to see about .010-.012 inch, but .015 seems to work okay.

I've corrected the problem by cutting the wall a little deeper and then sometimes removing a like amount from the tip to keep it from diffing into the bottom the extractor groove. I like .015-.036 inch from wall to tip.

I use a safe-sided rail file and care to keep the wall square by laying the file on the bench and drawing the extractor along its cutting edge...carefully. Then, I cut a light bevel on the bottom corner to ease the rim's entry into the extractor.

9mmmountaineer
01-05-2013, 06:53
The gun is new he said he had 200 rounds through it

1911Tuner
01-05-2013, 07:01
The gun is new he said he had 200 rounds through it

Okay.

Check it anyway. It takes 30 seconds and doesn't cost anything.

okie
01-05-2013, 08:27
I hope he can get the pistol working properly my friend:nailbiting:

dakrat
01-05-2013, 10:58
the fastest fix here is to clean the chamber try a different factory ammo. make sure he is not thumbing the slide and slowing its momentum.

1911Tuner
01-05-2013, 12:15
Check the extractor just for giggles.

Pictured below is an example of excessive deflection. It should be about half this amount for smooth feed/RTB function.

Click to embiggen.

1911Tuner
01-05-2013, 12:17
Let's try that picture again.

9mmmountaineer
01-19-2013, 23:01
Sorry for delay in replying. He's still having trouble and I'll reference the extractor pic and check his. Appreciate the help!

Ruggles
01-19-2013, 23:35
He just needs to keep trying different things, those 3" 1911s can be touchy.

owl6roll
01-20-2013, 16:26
Check the extractor deflection. If there's too much of the tensioning wall showing in the breechface, it'll cause that. I like to see about .010-.012 inch, but .015 seems to work okay.

I've corrected the problem by cutting the wall a little deeper and then sometimes removing a like amount from the tip to keep it from diffing into the bottom the extractor groove. I like .015-.036 inch from wall to tip.

I use a safe-sided rail file and care to keep the wall square by laying the file on the bench and drawing the extractor along its cutting edge...carefully. Then, I cut a light bevel on the bottom corner to ease the rim's entry into the extractor.

Yuup!

cciman
01-20-2013, 21:47
He should not have to FWI himself....send it to Kimber and describe the problem, have them troubleshoot and fix it.

Update us here on how they behave.

zhix
01-21-2013, 11:36
If it was bought new send it back, whether he could fix it himself or not. I sent back my Compact Stainless for relibility problems and it came back within a few weeks with no BS from customer service. They didn't try to make me pay for shipping like some companies and the gun has worked properly since.

fnfalman
01-21-2013, 11:45
Have him take some photos of the jams and talk to Kimber customer service.

faawrenchbndr
01-21-2013, 12:53
1911Tuneris offering some solid advice!

Look on youtube, tons of videos on tuning the extractor.
He needs to learn general maintenance of a 1911, or,
he needs to sell it a buy a Glock!

fasteddie565
01-21-2013, 19:48
If it is a new gun, I would give it the toothpaste treatment whereby you lap the slide to the frame with some OLD white colgate that still has grit in it. You could also use flitz? I have done this to every Kimber I own to include my Gold Combat. The Covert II is a kimpro on kimpro finish, this may indeed do it.

After multiple FTF and FTE, I disassembled the gun, coated the rails and inside of the slide with some cheap white Colgate toothpaste. I then reassemble and run the action back and forth 200 times.

Disassemble, clean repeat.

Disassemble, clean, lubricate, reassemble.

Looking inside, especially if it has a coating or other finish, you will see some very light striations where the coating has been removed. if the coating is on both parts, you should see striations on both parts. My Stainless Pro TLE II had a few shiny / polished spots.

This is a patented process so don't tell anyone else about it.

If it is an older gun, buy a new main spring. Kimber recommends a new spring every 1,000 rds. I buy the Wolf variable power springs and they work well. In fact, I just bought a used Grand Raptor that had the same issues as your friend's pistol. New spring, voila. 500 flawless rds so far, most of those reloads.