Frog Lube on 1911's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Frog Lube on 1911's?

tango44
01-05-2013, 18:35
How often do apply the paste treatment to your 1911's?

I use the liquid to clean and lubricate after every range session, but wonders how often the paste?

Tiro Fijo
01-05-2013, 22:45
It's pure snake oil. Does nothing better than the current Milspec CLP by G96. Walk to the mirror and shout "sucker!!"

FLIPPER 348
01-05-2013, 22:49
How often do apply the paste treatment to your 1911's?

never

Waboom!!
01-06-2013, 14:00
It's pure snake oil. Does nothing better than the current Milspec CLP by G96. Walk to the mirror and shout "sucker!!" I totally disagree with this statement. Froglube and Militec are far superior to clp. I personally do not like or use clp.

Rinspeed
01-06-2013, 16:45
It's pure snake oil. Does nothing better than the current Milspec CLP by G96. Walk to the mirror and shout "sucker!!"

I agree.

MD357
01-06-2013, 18:30
It's not the end all be all IMO but it's pretty retarded to call it snake oil. It's 10x the product CLP is.

257 roberts
01-06-2013, 21:57
Never

FLIPPER 348
01-06-2013, 22:15
It's not the end all be all IMO but it's pretty retarded to call it snake oil. It's 10x the product CLP is.

CLP works fine so why go for 10Xfine??

dakrat
01-06-2013, 22:27
CLP works fine so why go for 10Xfine??

because I shoot more accurately knowing I am using a $30 lube. this lube runs deep brah. penetrates the pores and removes gun blackheads en stuff. go deep or go home ese

FLIPPER 348
01-06-2013, 23:13
ah vahto, yo veo

Stang_Man
01-06-2013, 23:30
Just try to clean the pistol when it's still warm and it'll melt the paste like butter.

I love the smell :drool:

Tiro Fijo
01-07-2013, 01:29

G96 Synthetic CLP is the only military issue CLP available to civilians. Break Free was dropped years ago. G96 CLP is far better than the repackaged roller coaster lubricant that is Frog Lube.

Rinspeed
01-07-2013, 04:19
It's 10x the product CLP is.

So you've been using the wrong CLP. :upeyes:

CAcop
01-07-2013, 07:29
We have a bucket of it at work. Everyone was raving about it when they first got it. I tired it and determined it was just about like everything else I have used over the years. People are no longer raving about it and it doesn't seem to be getting used as much. I think they are seeing through the hype. There is always some latest and greatest lube.

Mayhem like Me
01-07-2013, 07:32
FYI Frog lube works fine warm, Guess what, I was at the range shooting Saturday and it was about 40 degrees, the frog lube samples in my shooting bag had been in freezing temps the night before, they were the consistancy of taffy,,,,,Not good I can see them causing problems if they migrate into areas like the disconnector..

Oil is for firearms, grease is for tighly fitted meshing components under load like gears,,,MAYBE slide lugs in a pistol, grease is not the best lubricant for firearms..

Synthetic oil is the best overall.

Chimo
01-09-2013, 14:07
After the proper "seasoning" of the weapon you will only need to reapply as needed. If you start noticing that the carbon is a little harder to while off I would then suggest putting on more. Remember a little goes a long way. I have used in both heat and cold and never had an issue.

Mayhem like Me
01-09-2013, 16:12
After the proper "seasoning" of the weapon you will only need to reapply as needed. If you start noticing that the carbon is a little harder to while off I would then suggest putting on more. Remember a little goes a long way. I have used in both heat and cold and never had an issue.

Lube should not need to be seasoned nor should it be hard like taffy at 35 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chimo
01-09-2013, 17:49
Lube should not need to be seasoned nor should it be hard like taffy at 35 degrees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Lube dose NOT news to be seasoned but the metal does. Once it soaks into the the metal by heating, just like you would a cast iron skillet. That is the way this plant based CLP is used. And I can speak from experience that it works.

Mayhem like Me
01-10-2013, 04:31
The Lube dose NOT news to be seasoned but the metal does. Once it soaks into the the metal by heating, just like you would a cast iron skillet. That is the way this plant based CLP is used. And I can speak from experience that it works.

The metal does not need to be seasoned all it needs is a good lube that stays viscous down to low Temps .I don't cook eggs on my 1911 the surfaces bear against one another and need a film of lubricant.

Metal is not a sponge some amount of lube gets in the surface pores but it does not soak in....

Chimo
01-10-2013, 05:32
The metal does not need to be seasoned all it needs is a good lube that stays viscous down to low Temps .I don't cook eggs on my 1911 the surfaces bear against one another and need a film of lubricant.

Metal is not a sponge some amount of lube gets in the surface pores but it does not soak in....

I guess,we will have to agree to disagree. Have you given it a try?

fnfalman
01-10-2013, 08:41
The only metal things I season are my iron cookwares.

faawrenchbndr
01-10-2013, 09:02
Great,.....another "lube pissin match"

I once ran a Springfield GI for 500 rounds using only KY.

As for the current issues CLP, I'd rather use a lube that doesn't
smell like rotten tuna! :puking:

fnfalman
01-10-2013, 10:14
Great,.....another "lube pissin match"

I once ran a Springfield GI for 500 rounds using only KY.

As for the current issues CLP, I'd rather use a lube that doesn't
smell like rotten tuna! :puking:

Current Break-Free smells like dead fish now? What gives? It used to smell pretty good.

Mayhem like Me
01-10-2013, 10:20
I guess,we will have to agree to disagree. Have you given it a try?

Yes.. Nothing special, I use Ballistol when I want to go green it has some actual useful properties.
Frog lube is gimmicky .

faawrenchbndr
01-10-2013, 10:31
Current Break-Free smells like dead fish now? What gives? It used to smell pretty good.

A guy i used to supervise is now a weapons troop on Gunships.
He told me about it......could get the stock class

countrygun
01-10-2013, 10:55
I use a mixture of 50/50 walnut oil and tiger semen. Of course it is a bit difficult to get the walnut oil. do you know how hard you have to squeeze those nuts to get the oil out?

Really folks, this obsessive society we have created is just insane "the perfect gun lube"? Get real. how many m-1s have you ever seen that were actually worn out on the bearing points as opposed to throat erosion? Most of the grease used in WWII was no more than axel grease.

Getting overly concerned about the lube is like worrying about which camo pattern is best for your Underoos.

fnfalman
01-10-2013, 11:47
I use a mixture of 50/50 walnut oil and tiger semen. Of course it is a bit difficult to get the walnut oil. do you know how hard you have to squeeze those nuts to get the oil out?

Really folks, this obsessive society we have created is just insane "the perfect gun lube"? Get real. how many m-1s have you ever seen that were actually worn out on the bearing points as opposed to throat erosion? Most of the grease used in WWII was no more than axel grease.

Getting overly concerned about the lube is like worrying about which camo pattern is best for your Underoos.

But my lube had shown by the laboratory to be 0.01% better than the other lube!!!

MStarmer
01-10-2013, 18:51
We're not talking about lubricants for the Mars Rover or the Space Shuttle here. It's just oil folks. Pull some off your dipstick or out of a bottle in the garage. It will work just fine as a lube.

Breakfree/FP10/Miltec/Slip2000 etc. The all work, they all work pretty good. Try one and if works you're set. If it doesn't try something else. For me FP-10 works as the best CLP, it just seems to keep pulling out crud forever when it soaks. For lube I like Slip2000 but honestly anything sitting on the shelf works. In a SHTF situation axle grease and used engine oil will probably far exceed the needs for most modern firearms.

tango44
01-10-2013, 19:12
I will keep it simple and will stick with FrogLube.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Rinspeed
01-10-2013, 19:51
I will keep it simple and will stick with FrogLube.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

For what FrogLube costs you could almost buy a lifetime supply of FP-10 and Slideglide. :upeyes:

RageEffect
01-10-2013, 20:04
I got a tub of slide glide for free, ill probably use that forever. But damn, frog lube smells AWESOME

RYT 2BER
01-11-2013, 17:35
I use a mixture of 50/50 walnut oil and tiger semen. .

:rofl:

Waboom!!
01-11-2013, 17:49
a quart of Amsoil 10W30 is $9.55 and will last probably 20 years. :cool:

Bob Hafler
01-11-2013, 18:41
I use Mobil one SYN. 20/50 in my Harley. What is left in the bottles when I do an oil change I drain into a smaller bottle. It works as good as anything I've ever used. I call it HOG Lube. I've used it on everything from a Kel Tec P3at to and M1 Garand and a whole lot of pistols and rifles in between. I've used other lubes and greases but always seem to return my HOG Lube.

dakrat
01-11-2013, 20:45
lets not get off topic here. the OP's question is...."How often do apply the paste treatment to your 1911's?"

and not "what lube do you use"

Bob Hafler
01-12-2013, 07:46
OK Sorry ....Never.

MD357
01-12-2013, 23:19
So you've been using the wrong CLP. :upeyes:

Don't use it.

MD357
01-12-2013, 23:23
a quart of Amsoil 10W30 is $9.55 and will last probably 20 years. :cool:

Little bit of Amsoil and ATF never hurt nobody. :supergrin:

Shark1007
01-14-2013, 20:02
I'm maybe a little on the overkill side, but I heat the weapon with a hair dryer, lube it up with the grease on a toothbrush and, after firing, I wipe her down till clean with the Froglube solvent, then heat her and repeat, just not using as much. I use the liquid on the rails.

RetailNinja
01-14-2013, 20:28
I'm maybe a little on the overkill side, but I heat the weapon with a hair dryer, lube it up with the grease on a toothbrush and, after firing, I wipe her down till clean with the Froglube solvent, then heat her and repeat, just not using as much. I use the liquid on the rails.

It is a 1911 not a grand prix engine :wow:

Def on the overkill side :supergrin:

Shark1007
01-15-2013, 17:21
I know, but if you treat 'em like gran prix engines, it just makes me feel better.

I keep a Glock on the boat in the Bahamas and it had been a while since I cleaned her. I had to use corrosion block spray can and superlube grease. Felt very guilty afterwards.

boyscout399
01-16-2013, 07:51
FYI Frog lube works fine warm, Guess what, I was at the range shooting Saturday and it was about 40 degrees, the frog lube samples in my shooting bag had been in freezing temps the night before, they were the consistancy of taffy,,,,,Not good I can see them causing problems if they migrate into areas like the disconnector..

Oil is for firearms, grease is for tighly fitted meshing components under load like gears,,,MAYBE slide lugs in a pistol, grease is not the best lubricant for firearms..

Synthetic oil is the best overall.

Umm, you shouldn't be applying frog lube so thick that it turns into taffy in the cold... :rofl:

Mayhem like Me
01-16-2013, 10:13
Umm, you shouldn't be applying frog lube so thick that it turns into taffy in the cold... :rofl:

Try reading what I said Ummmm.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)