Mec-Gar 1911 Mag's? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mec-Gar 1911 Mag's?

oily_oink
01-06-2013, 12:41
Are the Mec-Gar 1911 Mag's any good?

I know from experience that they make a reliable magazine for Sig & Beretta, but I've never tried their 1911 ones.

ranger1968
01-06-2013, 13:01
I wish I could tell you from first hand experinece, but I cannot;

On the other hand I have used their magazines in Rugers, Sigs, Berettas, and Taurus ('s ? Tauri?) and they have always been really good, as good or better than factory;

Given their level of quality control and their history of making a very reliable, well made product, I would say the 1911 magazines would be no different.

oily_oink
01-06-2013, 13:19
Given their level of quality control and their history of making a very reliable, well made product, I would say the 1911 magazines would be no different.

That is what I'm hoping for! I'm looking for some info on them before I put in an order.

Mad Ryan
01-06-2013, 13:20
With how inexpensive Chip McCormick Powermags are do you really need anything else?

alwaysshootin
01-06-2013, 13:59
I have six of the Mecgar 8 rounders, been using them for give, or take, 10 years now. Can't imagine a better 1911 magazine, no matter what brand name is on them!

Even the "good" price of others, these are tough to beat.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/346035/mec-gar-magazine-with-base-pad-1911-government-commander-45-acp-8-round-steel-blue

oily_oink
01-06-2013, 13:59
With how inexpensive Chip McCormick Powermags are do you really need anything else?

Never han any experience with those either.

Mad Ryan
01-06-2013, 14:30
Never han any experience with those either.

They're widely viewed to be among the 3 or 4 best out of the Wilsons and the Tripp mags.

You can score the blued ones from Brownells for about what the Mec-Gar ones cost.

EDIT: I have a wholesale account with Brownells so I get them a bit cheaper hence my comment.

They're stellar.

Read this about Magazines (http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Magazines.html)

dakrat
01-06-2013, 14:31
They have been in the business for a long time and I would not hesitate to buy their mags. a buddy took a tour in their factory in Italy and they are good folks. I hear nothing but good things about their magazines.

alwaysshootin
01-06-2013, 15:37
FWIW, on this page from Brownells.com, the Mecgar 1911 mags, have 13 more reviews than the Power Mags, and a higher rating!

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/index.htm

Again, the Midway add I posted previously, had a considerable lesser price on the mags over Brownells pricing.

fnfalman
01-06-2013, 20:38
I have Mec-Gar mags out of the wazoo for various M1911s and calibers. The only gun that I don't have Mec-Gar mags for is the Colt Defender, only because Mec-Gar doesn't make mags for it.

CAcop
01-07-2013, 08:52
I bought some a few years back for my duty gun. They worked but on a cold range day with dropping them on the ground the baseplates cracked. When it happened after they sent replacements I had a heart to heart with one of their people. Essentally the baseplate was pretty thin and could crack easily. I could boil or steam the base plates 1-2 times a year to prevent it. They were going to change the formula for the plastic at some point. Now that it has been a few years I might try buying a few more just to see how they do.

For range mags where they are not going to be dropped onto cement, even empty, they will be excellent. If you are going to train hard with them be prepared to call for replacement baseplates.

fnfalman
01-07-2013, 11:11
Plastic base plate cracking when dropped on hard surfaces isn't relegated to Mec-Gar mags though. I've had it happened to other brands too, and that's why I don't like plastic base plates. Luckily most of my Mec-Gar M1911 mags have steel base plates.

Speaking of base plates breaking and such, I bought a bunch of Tripp Research mags (10-ea .38 Super and 5-ea 10mm). Two of the 10mm mags' base plates let go as I was blasting, shooting springs and rounds everywhere. Talked with Tripp Research and they wanted all five back to see what's going on with that batch. Replacements are on the way. The .38 Super mags are good to go without a hiccup.

I'm going to get some new .38 Super mags with the non-shift-forward follower from CMC too for my Talo Lightweight Commander.

In the $30 range, I don't think that there's a better mag than Trip Research Cobra mag. CMC comes close, but Wilsons are simply overpriced Gucci Gears.

In the lesser price range, I don't think that there's a better mag than Mec-Gar.

Mad Ryan
01-07-2013, 19:14
It's all good. I've been using the CMC power mags for years, as well as the Wilsons. They work and they last. When most of the industries best smiths tell you something works and it jives with your own experience I tend to not worry about a few bucks per mag. Especially not if it's a carry gun. The new carbon steel power mags seem to work every bit as well and are a bit cheaper.

I've used Mec-Gar mags in a host of other guns and they've worked well. I'd need to order some to see if they'll feed hollowpoints well or if they're designed around ball ammo.

Regardless, I'll stick to tried and true if I'm packing.

happyguy
01-07-2013, 20:22
I have some 7 rounders and they have been perfect.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)