question on carrying G26 and 642 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : question on carrying G26 and 642

Cancer
01-06-2013, 12:41
The G26 and 642 are the two guns I've carried concealed over the years. Usually i only carry one by itself, in the right front pocket, using a pocket holster. But I'm thinking about carrying both at the same time, with the G26 as a primary, and the 642 as backup.

My issue is, I'm not sure which one should be pocket carried, and which one should be carried IWB. I've used ankle carry in the past, but it's not my favorite way to carry.

So has anyone carried both of these guns at the same time, and have opinions as to where each gun should be carried, if pocket carry and IWB are your carry options?

happyguy
01-06-2013, 13:51
IWB for the G26.

The 642 goes in the pants pocket, or during cold weather, it goes in the coat pocket.

IMNSHO.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

Ryobi
01-06-2013, 14:18
I don't see a need for two guns for permittee carry, but if that's what you're set on doing, go belt holster and ankle. I just don't find pocket carry to be consistently positioned or accessable. The G26 and 642 are the two guns I've carried concealed over the years. Usually i only carry one by itself, in the right front pocket, using a pocket holster. But I'm thinking about carrying both at the same time, with the G26 as a primary, and the 642 as backup.

My issue is, I'm not sure which one should be pocket carried, and which one should be carried IWB. I've used ankle carry in the past, but it's not my favorite way to carry.

So has anyone carried both of these guns at the same time, and have opinions as to where each gun should be carried, if pocket carry and IWB are your carry options?

Filhar
01-06-2013, 15:16
26 carried iwb with a g 17 magazine in back pocket or on belt and 642 in the closet.

WT
01-06-2013, 15:17
I have the G26 and a J-frame.

The G26 is for IWB carry. The J-frame winds up in various places.

Don't look at the J-frame as a back up gun (BUG). Consider it a 2nd gun which could in fact be your primary gun. One day it might be in your pants pocket, the next in your jacket pocket. Maybe walking down a dark, lonely street it will be in your hand, hanging loosely at your side, just in case you get jumped.

Look at it from a tactical point of view.

Filhar
01-06-2013, 15:20
26 iwb with g17 spare mag and 642 in safe.

happyguy
01-06-2013, 15:49
I have the G26 and a J-frame.

The G26 is for IWB carry. The J-frame winds up in various places.

Don't look at the J-frame as a back up gun (BUG). Consider it a 2nd gun which could in fact be your primary gun. One day it might be in your pants pocket, the next in your jacket pocket. Maybe walking down a dark, lonely street it will be in your hand, hanging loosely at your side, just in case you get jumped.

^^^^I like this post. Wish I had written it.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

2740dmx
01-06-2013, 16:00
G26 IWB
and
J-frame in offside pocket....
But mostly, I carried one at a time.
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t497/spec4towle/043.jpg
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t497/spec4towle/041.jpg

PelhamGMan
01-06-2013, 16:04
In my opinion, the 26 ought to be in the belt, love the idea of the 17 mag on the belt. I frequently carry a 27 with a 22 mag as a spare. If you carry a semi auto handgun, always carry a spare mag. Mags a just mechanical devices and as such are subject to failure. Round count has nothing to do with it. The 642 I would carry in your pocket. Like someone else already said, in an ambush, your hand may be closer or actually on it.

Bruce M
01-06-2013, 16:50
..... Maybe walking down a dark, lonely street it will be in your hand, hanging loosely at your side, just in case you get jumped.

From a tactical point of view I would go to great lengths to avoid walking down a street that was dark, lonely, and scary enough such that I felt I had to have a gun in my hand. From a legal point of view I would probably also be reluctant.

Gray_Rider
01-06-2013, 18:18
From a tactical point of view I would go to great lengths to avoid walking down a street that was dark, lonely, and scary enough such that I felt I had to have a gun in my hand. From a legal point of view I would probably also be reluctant.

Some people don't have the option to avoid such locales. IE work, breakdowns, emergency medical needs in the night, (corner store/pharmacy) say for a sick child or spouse etc.

I have carried my 642 in such situations and on rare occasions in that manner occasionally. Not because I wanted to or was cruising for trouble, I had to be there.

Gray_Rider
Deo Vindice!

Bruce M
01-06-2013, 19:47
I have to wonder what would happen if someone else who is armed and also a "good guy" sees someone carrying a gun in their hand. And I wonder what would happen should the police happen to observe that.

WT
01-06-2013, 20:41
Dark, lonely night, shadows, alleys, blue steel J-frame in hand .... nobody will see it.

If it makes you feel better, carry it in hand covered by a brown paper bag.

Badger54
01-07-2013, 04:21
I usually carry my 642 in an ankle holster and then either a 26 or a 19 in a IWB or OWB holster.

Cancer
01-07-2013, 09:27
I usually carry my 642 in an ankle holster and then either a 26 or a 19 in a IWB or OWB holster.

Good discussion! Whenever I've ankle carried my 642 in a holster (DeSantis or Galco), there's always a lot of lint and dust that gets on the gun, especially around the cylinder release. Although it's an enclosed hammer, is it possible that lint will get into the firing mechanism through the small gap behind the cylinder release button, or from the gap around the trigger? I'm comfortable taking apart my G26 for routine cleaning, but I'm not as comfy taking apart the 642. Any thoughts on this? Am i being paranoid about lint getting into the 642?

WT
01-07-2013, 11:06
Under the conditions you describe, yes it can get gunked up.

For a carry revolver once a year or so take it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection and cleaning. It should take him about 15 minutes to do so.

Or .... you can find an old geezer who is familiar with Smith revolvers and he can show you how to remove the sideplate and clean it. The guts of the firearm do not have to removed to do a decent cleaning.

Remember, it is a carry gun and your life may well depend on it operating properly. Keep you weapon clean.

Here is a link to a video showing how to remove the sideplate of a S&W K-frame. It is pretty similar to the J-frame.

SMITH & WESSON MODEL 10 SERVICE REVOLVER PART 1 - YouTube

Do not force anything. Gorilla strength is not needed.

SCmasterblaster
01-08-2013, 15:49
Spare G17 mag for the G26 makes sense.

Hugo R
01-09-2013, 00:28
Spare G17 mag for the G26 makes sense.

Been there done that...and also the G26 & M36 thing.

However, I've opted for the G26 on my hip with a 12 rd. mag on the opposite side and an LCP in my support front pocket (works great with either 5.11's or jeans) just in case I want to put my hand on a gun but don't want to be obvious by brandishing my primary.

Thats said, the 642 is a great back up!

JM2C, HR:cool:

Steve in PA
01-09-2013, 06:52
When not working, I carry a Glock 26 in an Aker OWB Flatsider holster with my S&W 642 on my ankle in a Galco Ankle Glove.

SCmasterblaster
01-09-2013, 20:22
Been there done that...and also the G26 & M36 thing.

However, I've opted for the G26 on my hip with a 12 rd. mag on the opposite side and an LCP in my support front pocket (works great with either 5.11's or jeans) just in case I want to put my hand on a gun but don't want to be obvious by brandishing my primary.

Thats said, the 642 is a great back up!

JM2C, HR:cool:

What loads do you carry in the 642?

Gray_Rider
01-09-2013, 23:18
Right now I'm carrying LSWCHP (Lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint). There is a pro reloader here that makes them with a soft lead bullet and just a smidge of extra powder (not enough to make it +P) thrown in for grins and chuckles. It's recoil is a little less nasty (in my 642 Airweight) than standard ball and according to the reloading co. it hits like a brick with good upset and expansion with the softer lead bullet. Yes. He makes a +P version. Saw it at the last gun show.
According to the specs I have read, LSWCHP has aprox. the same stopping power as .45ACP ball, though this may be with a 4" barrel.

I am a .45ACP man (Glock 30 actually) so no flames about the .45. I know it works, history proves it going back well over 175 years, but if I can get 65% OSS out of a SW .38 snubby used as a BUG and often a primary.....*Sound of the Rebel Yell*..... Nuff said.

Gray_Rider

SCmasterblaster
01-10-2013, 13:30
Right now I'm carrying LSWCHP (Lead semi wadcutter hollowpoint). There is a pro reloader here that makes them with a soft lead bullet and just a smidge of extra powder (not enough to make it +P) thrown in for grins and chuckles. It's recoil is a little less nasty (in my 642 Airweight) than standard ball and according to the reloading co. it hits like a brick with good upset and expansion with the softer lead bullet. Yes. He makes a +P version. Saw it at the last gun show.
According to the specs I have read, LSWCHP has aprox. the same stopping power as .45ACP ball, though this may be with a 4" barrel.

I am a .45ACP man (Glock 30 actually) so no flames about the .45. I know it works, history proves it going back well over 175 years, but if I can get 65% OSS out of a SW .38 snubby used as a BUG and often a primary.....*Sound of the Rebel Yell*..... Nuff said.

Gray_Rider

LSWCHP sounds very good.