Ruger SP101 .22lr [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP101 .22lr

Tmoney33
01-06-2013, 14:53
So I went into Scheels yesterday and had them order me a Ruger SP101 22. I've always wanted a revolver and with ammo prices going up I figured this is something I could shoot often without taking a loan out. I originally was looking at a Taurus model 94 but read online the trigger sucked. Anybody shoot a SP101 and how was the trigger? I was a little put off by the $579 price tag but think this will be something I'll have for a long time.

ViennaGambit
01-06-2013, 15:06
So I went into Scheels yesterday and had them order me a Ruger SP101 22. I've always wanted a revolver and with ammo prices going up I figured this is something I could shoot often without taking a loan out. I originally was looking at a Taurus model 94 but read online the trigger sucked. Anybody shoot a SP101 and how was the trigger? I was a little put off by the $579 price tag but think this will be something I'll have for a long time.

Honestly, for not much $100 more you can get the S&W 617. Trigger will be much nicer and its a 10-shot...

I wanted to love the SP101, but the fit and finish on the one I handled was so poor, it turned me off. Sharp edges, scratches etc. The grip angle and in hand feel also seemed off to me - I think replacing the grip with a Hogue may have fixed that...

If you want it go for it - but take a look at the Smith first!

Outer Rondacker
01-06-2013, 15:19
I have an sp101 in 357. I cant say much about the 22 model but the 357 mag is a tank its small but handles the shots great. Trigger is a bit stiff and I cleaned up mine a bit and its really smooth now still stiff but its nice. Grip is for a miggets hands so I would get after market one. I always make a joke that after I run out of shots I always have the gun to though at whatever. It will last a lifetime and I know mine is not going to fall apart any time soon. Hope this helps a bit. I would not trade mine for nothing. Well you know what I mean.

Tmoney33
01-06-2013, 15:34
Honestly, for not much $100 more you can get the S&W 617. Trigger will be much nicer and its a 10-shot...

I wanted to love the SP101, but the fit and finish on the one I handled was so poor, it turned me off. Sharp edges, scratches etc. The grip angle and in hand feel also seemed off to me - I think replacing the grip with a Hogue may have fixed that...

If you want it go for it - but take a look at the Smith first!

I was talking to my FFL a few weeks ago and he mentioned he has the S&W. I asked him about the Taurus and he said he went with the S&W becuase it was so much better. I know $100 isn't much more when you're already at $600 but wanted to see this Ruger. Scheels did say when it comes in if I handle it, dry fire, etc. and don't like it, I'm not out any $$$.

ViennaGambit
01-06-2013, 15:45
I was talking to my FFL a few weeks ago and he mentioned he has the S&W. I asked him about the Taurus and he said he went with the S&W becuase it was so much better. I know $100 isn't much more when you're already at $600 but wanted to see this Ruger. Scheels did say when it comes in if I handle it, dry fire, etc. and don't like it, I'm not out any $$$.

Hey, it really is all about what YOU like and how it feels to YOU. They are hard to find in stock for a reason - people are loving them :wavey: The SP101 in general is a great platform - I had two 2"ers and a 3" and loved them a lot. Still regret selling the 3". If the .22lr specimen I held wasnt so rough and burred, who knows how I would feel. Hopefully the one coming to you is better finished....

ArmoryDoc
01-06-2013, 22:57
I debated back and forth too. I finally settled on the Smith 617. They are hard to find, but there's a reason for that. They are supposedly top of the line in .22 caliber.

cowboywannabe
01-06-2013, 23:09
collim1 has one, its a descent gun in my opinion, not K-22 master peice nice but better than their lcr-22.

NW-Warlord
01-07-2013, 04:42
I love my .22 SP-101. The trigger is a bit stiff at first, but it will wear in. Replace the stock grips with a set of Hogue, and it is good to go. I have 5+ thousand rounds through mine and it keeps getting better.

I still want to get a 617, a Diamondback, and a K-22 someday though.