A Glock 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A Glock 1911?

vaquero aleman
01-06-2013, 17:16
I keep reading posts of people wishing that Glock would manufacture a 1911 copy. What am I missing here? What would doing this accomplish?

Is it that we believe that Glock could market a 1911 that would, finally, be fully operational out of the box? Will Glock really be able to provide a 1911 that doesn't require aftermarket manipulation in order to be dependable?

I have had several Glocks and now a Glock 21 because of the vast amounts of posts that I have read, on gun forums, about the pure dependability of the Glock.

And I have read many many more about the problems associated with the 1911 style of handgun, which has led me to avoid the purchase of one, even though I am just as enamored with the American legends that Sam Colt has provided for us, as anyone else here.

pat701
01-06-2013, 19:51
I just got a gen4 Glock21 2 weeks ago. The date on the test fire casing bag says 22Oct12. I put 250 rds of Estate 230gr hard ball thur it to break it in at a outdoor range and found the ejection to be weak. I had 8 BTF out of 250 rds. No failures to feed or eject, just weak ejection IMHO, about 3ft to my 3 or 4 O'Clock. Glock has had there 21 platform since 1991. I don't see how they could get a 1911 right. I have a Sig trailside 22LR pistol that ejects 8'! But a 45ACP weakly ejecting 3' "glock perfection" my *****. I know the Glock 21 isn't an H&K 91 throwing brass 20". But i wouldn't consider an other Glock, the 21 is my first & last Glock!

NewtoConsulting
01-16-2013, 22:51
And I have read many many more about the problems associated with the 1911 style of handgun, which has led me to avoid the purchase of one, even though I am just as enamored with the American legends that Sam Colt has provided for us, as anyone else here.

You really should give the 1911 a chance. My first handgun purchase was a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1 .45 ACP that I got a couple of years ago. I would tell you how to practice malfunction drills but I just haven't had any. I pull the trigger, the gun goes bang, the brass flies off to my right, and then I repeat the process until I’m out of ammo. You may ask why I bought a G21 Gen 4 if I like my 1911 so much. The reason is simple. I like guns! I should say that I like most guns except the little mouse guns that just don’t appeal to me at all.

The 1911 platform is undeniably more complicated than a Glock. Sometimes a bit more complicated and fussy isn’t a bad thing. Think about driving a classic Corvette versus a modern Toyota. If you have to drive your wife to the hospital in the middle of the night go for the Toyota. If you want to have fun driving on the weekend then I suggest the 1961 Corvette red with the white on the sides! If you’re a car guy you don’t mind that it’s more complicated to drive or that you probably need to work on the engine because you love spending time with your Vette. For the car guy taking care of a car like that would be half of the fun. I think that’s how a lot of gun guys feel about the 1911. I enjoy stripping my 1911 and cleaning it after a day at the range.

Do I have to like either the 1911 or the Glock one more than the other? In my opinion no I don’t have to pick a favorite. I think they both have their place and I’m glad that I have them both. The G21 Gen 4 is my bedside table gun and the 1911 is my weekend fun gun. If Glock makes a 1911 I would probably give it a try but there is no reason for you to wait for Glock to try a 1911 pistol. As you try to find yourself you should decide if you’re a guy who shoots a Glock or a guy who loves guns. If you’re a gun guy like me, and I suspect many others here on GT, then you will probably end up owning a few 1911s, wheel guns and who knows what else.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa463/edbell1976/Guns/SpringfieldLeft_zps36482d95.jpg

SDGlock23
01-17-2013, 20:51
I for one do like the 1911 platform, but prefer the Glock. As for Glock making a 1911, that would be akin to Chevy building a Mustang, it just doesn't make sense. A Glock is what it is, from the safety system to the design itself and to produce a 1911 would be to drop what makes a Glock a Glock.

Rikki
02-05-2013, 15:40
I'd call any .45 that ejects 3' @ 3-4 o'clock "well behaved"