AIWB / Holster help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AIWB / Holster help

cotton617
01-06-2013, 18:06
So I've been carrying a Gen 4 Glock 19 in a CompTac MTAC holster @ the 4/5 o'clock position for the past 6 months. I've tried to adjust and get comfortable but it just is not happening. The G19 is simply to heavy and too thick, also I don't think the 4/5 o'clock carry is for me. It's extremely uncomfortable driving and any other time you have to sit, especially say at a bar stool I become paranoid about my firearm being exposed and I find myself constantly checking to ensure my clothes are covering.

So the weight and size of the G19 have brought me to buying a PPS. I will be purchasing it tomorrow. Also, I am going to be in need of a new holster, and I think that AIWB should be given a try. Will this be a better position for driving and sitting? Also I will no longer have to second guess whether or not my weapon is exposed.

Holsters, I am looking for extreme comfort and extreme concelmeant. After a quick preliminary search I read a lot of positives reviews about the Fist #1ak holster. I looked into it and I'm not sure this is the route I want to go, the website and the whole ordering process seem suspect. I also stumbled upon a lot of negatives customer service stories with the company.

I then stumbled across High Noon Holsters, wow these look great. Does anybody have any suggestions in regards to choosing between the various models? Do I want high ride or low ride? Etc...
Is AIWB going to work better then behind the hip for me?

Thanks

CA Escapee
01-06-2013, 19:47
You're on your own as far as selecting a dedicated AIWB holster. I have no experience there.

I'm 5'11" and about 160#. I've got a CompTac CTAC holster for my G30 and I'm ok with it. I wear it about the same spot as you.

I don't know what you're built like but, with regards to AIWB carry I would think AIWB would be very uncomfortable to anyone in advanced stages of Dunlop's disease, especially while sitting.

How about a Remora holster? If you're trying to find a good spot around your waist a Remora can be worn anywhere IWB. They can be adjusted for cant angle and depth, too. For around $30 you can experiment. Then, when you've found a comfortable spot you can splurge on a more expensive holster.

Bill

1sharpedge
01-06-2013, 20:00
Try PJ holsters, nice kydex holster for AIWB, and ships fast!

up1911fan
01-07-2013, 23:22
If you truely want to carry AIWB there's a very short list of holsters that should be considered. CCC Shaggy, JM Custom AIWB, Dark Star Gear AIWB, Keeper, 5 Shot SME, JRC CDA-AIWB. Honestly, thats it. Skip anything from a "big" company. In a well designed, purpose built AIWB holster the gun will be comfortable and disappear. FWIW I carry a Gen4 G19 in one of three holsters, Shaggy, JM and JRC.

SCmasterblaster
01-08-2013, 14:05
Have you ever thought of carrying that G19 in a shoulder holster?

cfrye11
01-08-2013, 14:15
Any holster that holds the gun at 4 -5 O'Clock is going to be a hard to conceal and horrible to sit with. Look for something in the 3 o'clock position more on your hip not your back.

molan labe

Las Vegan
01-08-2013, 15:11
So the weight and size of the G19 have brought meto buying a PPS.

I'm 5'11" 180 lbs. and I carry a G19 in a Kydex AIWB daily. Like anything new, there is a period of getting used to it, but now I don't even think about it.

Do I want high ride or low ride? Etc...

Is AIWB going to work better then behind the hip for me?

High or low ride will depend on how far down you are comfortable with the muzzle against your body when you are sitting. Take a look at pictures of the holsters that have been suggested here to get an idea of how that will translate for your body and pistol. Some holsters are adjustable to some degree for height of rise, degree of cant, and other variables; you may wish to consider this prior to purchase. Will AIWB be better than behind the hip foryou? Yes to concealment, but only you can answer as to comfort.

For me, Kydex AIWB was an eye opener, and nothing since has been better forme in terms of comfort, concealment, and quick accessibility. Funny thing, Irecently purchased a Kydex IWB single mag holder that I wear at 11:00o'clock, directly opposite the G19 to the left of my belt buckle, and I'mhaving a much more difficult time getting comfortable with it than I did with the pistol holster. The nice thing about Kydex is that I can use a file and/or a heat gun to fine tune it to my body.

YMMV.

4Rules
01-08-2013, 16:04
I used to think that the M-Tac was a good holster. Now, IMO

Appendix is the answer.

Holster "Pain" Glock 23
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19824219

SWIll
01-08-2013, 21:41
Whatever works for you and your body type. I use a Galco sto n go at about 2 o'clock with a j frame revolver. Comfortable, stays put, can get a good grip on it during the draw.

RussP
01-08-2013, 21:45
What belt are you using?

The Retired Sarge
01-08-2013, 23:10
www.highnoonholsters.com (http://www.highnoonholsters.com)

I carry a HK P2000 AIWB all the time with a High Noon "Public Secret" holster in horse hide with clip. Very comfortable and hides very well. Superb quality. Bill

wayne
01-09-2013, 00:00
I carry a G19 IWB using a RM low rider at the 3:00 position. For me, this is a very comfortable holster and I have no problems sitting and driving with this on. This is the most concealable and comfortable of all of the holsters I've tried.

Wayne

SCmasterblaster
01-09-2013, 20:29
I carry a G19 IWB using a RM low rider at the 3:00 position. For me, this is a very comfortable holster and I have no problems sitting and driving with this on. This is the most concealable and comfortable of all of the holsters I've tried.

Wayne

Good for you. The G19 is a great CCW gun.