Conversion barrels and CCW [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Conversion barrels and CCW

greentriple
01-07-2013, 14:46
Presuming changing a .40 cal to 9 mm presents no legal issues for CCW, what are your thoughts on conversion barrels for CCW?

Background: EDC g23 or g27. Recent training has lead me to seriously consider 9 mm for EDC (I do not want a discussion about which round is better for SD). I'm debating buying new guns in 9 mm, and thus effectively replacing .40 cal. (CA only allows 3 guns on permit). I'm hesitant to use conversion barrels b/c I don't want to worry about failures do to the product, I know g23 & g27 will go bang and presume g19 will do the same.

So who trusts their lives and that of their family members to conversion barrels, and why? And who does not, and why?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

barth
01-07-2013, 15:24
Presuming changing a .40 cal to 9 mm presents no legal issues for CCW, what are your thoughts on conversion barrels for CCW?

Background: EDC g23 or g27. Recent training has lead me to seriously consider 9 mm for EDC (I do not want a discussion about which round is better for SD). I'm debating buying new guns in 9 mm, and thus effectively replacing .40 cal. (CA only allows 3 guns on permit). I'm hesitant to use conversion barrels b/c I don't want to worry about failures do to the product, I know g23 & g27 will go bang and presume g19 will do the same.

So who trusts their lives and that of their family members to conversion barrels, and why? And who does not, and why?

The key for me to carrying any gun
is actually proving that gun and ammo combination is truly reliable.
Whether bone stock or modified the drill is the same.
My G27, sporting a Storm Lake 40-9mm barrel and G26 mags,
has well over 1000 flawless rounds of Self Defense hollow points on the clock.
And +1000 trouble free FMJs on top of that.

Why wouldn't I trust my life carrying this weapon?

xmanhockey7
01-07-2013, 16:33
Out of my G22 with a Lonewolf barrel I have found it to be about 97% reliable. I only use it for the range though so not a big deal. My understanding is if you change out the extractor and ejector it'll run 100%.

Spiffums
01-07-2013, 16:49
I don't expect any mass produced man made machine to be 100% reliable. Test it with your choice of ammo and conversion barrel and if it runs good enough that YOU are comfortable with betting YOUR life on it then your good to go.

cowboy1964
01-07-2013, 17:30
The only conversion I would personally carry is .40<>.357 Sig and that's only because I don't even consider it a "conversion".

Boney
01-08-2013, 13:32
As has been stated in other threads the lone wolf barrel has more chamber support so ammunition does not feed into the barrel quite as easily. Though I only have 100 rounds or so through mine I haven't had any problems. That being said I don't think I would want to carry the conversion barrel. I'd buy /trade for a 19 if I was going to carry 9mm.

cfrye11
01-08-2013, 14:06
Can you own more then 3 pistols in ca ?

molan labe

greentriple
01-08-2013, 14:43
Yes in CA you may own more than 3 guns. However you my only have 3 on CCW.

SCmasterblaster
01-08-2013, 14:51
The only conversion I would personally carry is .40<>.357 Sig and that's only because I don't even consider it a "conversion".

I concur. :cool:

2-8 Marine
01-08-2013, 15:00
I don't expect any mass produced man made machine to be 100% reliable. Test it with your choice of ammo and conversion barrel and if it runs good enough that YOU are comfortable with betting YOUR life on it then your good to go.

There you go. I EDC my G27 with a 357 sig conversion barrel and feel completely secure and comfortable doing so.

ScottieG59
01-08-2013, 18:09
I have Lone Wolf conversion barrels for both my Glock 27 and my Glock 20. They both have worked well with conversion barrels.

With my Glock 20, which is a 10mm, the 40 S&W conversion barrel does not require changing the magazine, which is good; the 40 S&W magazine does not fit. The cases do dot eject with nearly the same force the 10mm cases do. It has been reliable at the range.

The Glock 27, which is 40 S&W, works very well at the range with my 9mm conversion barrel. I also have the Glock 9mm magazines since I will not trust 9mm in a 40 S&W magazine, even at the range. The cases eject almost as well with 40 S&W or 9mm.

When it comes to trusting a weapon with a conversion barrel to self defense, I would change a few other items. In the Glock 27, I would change the extractor and ejector. It may not be needed, but it would help me trust reliability more, though I would thoroughly test the setup.

On the Glock 20, I would be less comfortable, but I might look at another recoil spring if the cases do not eject the way I would prefer.

In either case, I would be concerned with how a modified gun will look in court. I think you will find some info on this from Mas Ayoob in the GATE forum on self defence here on Glocktalk.com. Personally, I carry stock handguns with the exception of adding night sights and, in some cases, a laser.

Basically, I am not smart enough technically to outsmart the gun's design engineers nor am I predisposed to add issues to my legal jeopardy if I have to defend myself with a firearm.

greentriple
01-08-2013, 19:02
Thanks for all the input.

SCmasterblaster
01-09-2013, 19:27
Thanks for all the input.

You are welcome. :supergrin: