Forbus holster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Forbus holster

pmanton
01-08-2013, 17:54
I bought a Forbus retention holster for my G21. The instructions say to pull it out quickly in a straight line.

It is nearly impossible to get out of the holster. It takes at least 25-30 lbs of jerk to clear it, If you do pull exactly straight it ain't gonna come out.

Any suggestions for easing the draw process?

Thanks

Paul
Salome. AZ

Osborne
01-08-2013, 18:02
Double check and make sure your pulling it straight out of your holster upward they make it that way to prevent someone jerking out your gun. May need to break it in as your sitting on the couch watching tv or something pull it in and out of your holster 30 or so times and see if that doesn't help.

allegro
01-08-2013, 18:06
Which Fobus model did you purchase? Sounds like you either have the wrong fittment or a defective holster.

G36shooter
01-08-2013, 18:16
Try this, with a hairdryer heat the area around the trigger guard,open it up and allow it to cool. I had to do this with my holster for a Ruger P-97. just do a littel at a time.

markerbeacon
01-08-2013, 19:20
I bought a Forbus retention holster for my G21. The instructions say to pull it out quickly in a straight line.

It is nearly impossible to get out of the holster. It takes at least 25-30 lbs of jerk to clear it, If you do pull exactly straight it ain't gonna come out.

Thanks

Paul
Salome. AZ

Hair Dryer on HOT works, or harsh language at the FOBUS Holster, take your pick.

Rev.357
01-08-2013, 20:13
Get rid of it!

davsco
01-08-2013, 20:44
maybe drill out the rivets and replace with nuts and bolts. fobus was my first and it had crazy strong retention. now if i want strong retention, i use my blackhawk serpa, once you depress the button, there is zero resistance on the draw - best of both worlds.

NITE SITE 53
01-08-2013, 20:55
I chose a Safariland STX over the Fobus and glad I did.

Bill Lumberg
01-09-2013, 07:25
Did you mean Fobus? Worst holsters out there (with the possible exception of Uncle Mike's). That said, a sharp draw straight up to the armpit is what you're looking for. I bought a Forbus retention holster for my G21. The instructions say to pull it out quickly in a straight line.

Thanks

Paul
Salome. AZ

pmanton
01-09-2013, 08:35
I think I'll first try heat then if that doesn't work, I'll drill out the rivets and put an aluminum spacer in and re-rivet. Third option is the garbage can.

Thanks

Paul

Wolfdad
01-09-2013, 09:10
Try heating it with the hair dryer on the hot setting. When it's still hot, insert your pistol and let it cool with the gun inserted. Do it a second time if necessary.

PCO31
01-09-2013, 09:32
I have one for my G26, and i have found that i need to SNAP it out quick and firm to clear. Otherwise, its locked in there forever. I like it alot for winter CCW under a jacket, but drawing takes some finesse.....better for normal belt carry without any obstructions.

Cybercowboy
01-09-2013, 09:36
Wrap your G21 in two layers of wax paper and insert into the holster. Let it sit overnight. If it is still too tight increase to three layers, or even four layers. This works great.

Arc Angel
01-09-2013, 09:41
Fobus? Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any new scratches on your G-21's slide yet? ;)

Z71bill
01-09-2013, 10:13
I have a Fobus paddle holster for my G19 - hard to remove the gun if I am holding the holster in my hand- not hard at all to remove gun when holster is installed on my belt.

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-09-2013, 12:11
Fobus holsters are stiff at first. It will break in with repeated draws. Stay away from Serpa. More than a couple of guys on my range have had them jam up with dirt or gravel, making the gun IMPOSSIBLE to draw until it can be cleaned out with a tool. Some guys love em, but unless you work in a sterile environment they aren't practical. In MY opinion.

Dmax07
01-09-2013, 14:57
1. Heat with hair dryer till hot as you can get it.
2. Put a piece of wood that is a little thicker than the trigger guard into the holster where the trigger guard goes. Make sure the two pieces of the holster are approximately 1/4 inch open at the trigger guard.
3. Put it in the refrigerator to cool down.
4. Take it out of the frig, remove the board, rub a drop of Ballistol or other lube inside the holster and insert your gun. Now see if this helps.
5. Repeat as necessary

I fixed mine this way after calling Fobus and getting their directions to solve the problem.

I only use my Fobus holster in the field and shooting range. I use a Remora holster most of the time IWB concealed.

Just my 2 cents worth!!!

vmann
01-09-2013, 16:45
i threw mine in the trash....acutally the recycle bin....

Ryobi
01-09-2013, 18:26
Zero jam issues, or any other issues, from department use of serpas, to include filthy environments and training sessions. Not sure I'd use one in the Middle East, but they're good to go with a trained shooter for light duty and more than adequate for cold weather ccw. Fobus holsters are stiff at first. It will break in with repeated draws. Stay away from Serpa. More than a couple of guys on my range have had them jam up with dirt or gravel, making the gun IMPOSSIBLE to draw until it can be cleaned out with a tool. Some guys love em, but unless you work in a sterile environment they aren't practical. In MY opinion.

New23
01-09-2013, 22:59
I've had no trouble with my G23 and Fobus GL2. Once I got the "knack" of the pull required, it releases every time. It's sure not going to release accidentally.

Glocked again
01-10-2013, 19:20
I bought one last weekend and I have the very same problem with my G 23. My G36 gave me no issues ay all! I might try the hair dryer trick.

pmanton
01-10-2013, 19:32
I used an industrial heat gun. Just right now. :-)

Paul
Salome, AZ

Frank V
01-10-2013, 19:55
The solution?

www.simplyrugged.com :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

SouthernBoyVA
01-11-2013, 05:34
The only Fobus I would use, and do, is their Evolution series for belt use. This is a far cry from their standard holster and is the only one I would want.

cola490
01-12-2013, 22:19
I know these things are cheap, but come on, hair dryers, drills, you might as well by some kidex and make your own holster from scratch.

10 fan
01-12-2013, 22:54
You said retention,does it have a retention screw that needs to be adjusted ? If you go with a serpa DRY PRACTICE alot befor you go hot. They have been banned at many schools and LE training.There have been many ND from using the tip of the finger instead of the pad of the finger.:cool:

dosei
01-13-2013, 08:23
Fobus holsters are junk. They are notorious for being overly tight, making for difficult draws and excessive wear on the gun's finish. They are not made of kydex.

One thing you absolutely need is a good stiff belt. The belt must be very stiff and rigid, keeping the holster in place when you draw instead of allowing it to move like a worthless belt does. A little Armor-all applied to the inside of the holster can help a little as well.

But in the end, the best thing to do with a Fobus holster is to throw it away.

Dreamchaser
01-13-2013, 11:11
You could go with the Blackhawk Sportster CQC for $20.00 from Walmat. Basically a Serpa without the finger release lock.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s81z7n.jpg

Louisville Glocker
01-13-2013, 11:33
Tried one. A rivet scratched my Beretta. Horrible design. Returned it the next day.

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 13:35
i threw mine in the trash....acutally the recycle bin....

AMEN - it is a death trap.

gooffeyguy
01-16-2013, 14:38
You could go with the Blackhawk Sportster CQC for $20.00 from Walmat. Basically a Serpa without the finger release lock.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s81z7n.jpg

Those Work very well and have a retention adjustment screw and are cheap