Interchangeable barrel lengths [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeable barrel lengths

Bernie Link
01-09-2013, 10:02
I've have been looking for an inexpensive gun that has interchangeable barrel lengths for rabbit hunting, tackle box, car gun,etc. The only one I can find is the Phoenix Arms Deluxe Kit that has 3" and 5" interchangeable barrels in a 22 cal., which is the cal. I'm looking for. I know that Dan Wesson revolvers have interchangeable barrels but don't want an $800 gun to carry in my tackle box. Does anyone have ideas for me? Thanks, Bernie

mac66
01-09-2013, 14:03
I've have been looking for an inexpensive gun that has interchangeable barrel lengths for rabbit hunting, tackle box, car gun,etc. The only one I can find is the Phoenix Arms Deluxe Kit that has 3" and 5" interchangeable barrels in a 22 cal., which is the cal. I'm looking for. I know that Dan Wesson revolvers have interchangeable barrels but don't want an $800 gun to carry in my tackle box. Does anyone have ideas for me? Thanks, Bernie

Charter Arms made an Ar7 Explorer pistol that has 4, 6, and 8" bbls but they were large unwieldy beasts that looked like overgrown Mauser Broomhandle pistols.

The Walther P22 has 3.35" bbl and a longer interchangeable target barrel. Not sure how expensive they are.

RWBlue
01-09-2013, 14:49
Why intercahngable barrels?

I have been told the Phoenix Arms gun is crap.

I had an Ar7 Explorer pistol it was reliable and ok accurate, but not really accurate and not small at all.

For interchangable barrels TC Contender or Encore. It is a rifle, pistol combo.

For cheap....Nothing is cheap and good any more, but a Ruger MKIII would be accurate and reliable.

Bernie Link
01-09-2013, 15:34
Why intercahngable barrels?

I have been told the Phoenix Arms gun is crap.

I had an Ar7 Explorer pistol it was reliable and ok accurate, but not really accurate and not small at all.

For interchangable barrels TC Contender or Encore. It is a rifle, pistol combo.

For cheap....Nothing is cheap and good any more, but a Ruger MKIII would be accurate and reliable.

Exactly what do people say about the Phoenix, or do they say that about anything that costs under $800? I've seen mixed reviews (some very good).

RWBlue
01-09-2013, 15:57
Exactly what do people say about the Phoenix, or do they say that about anything that costs under $800? I've seen mixed reviews (some very good).

The whole story. I was at an event. I am into guns. Another person was into gun. And there was a guy who wanted to get into guns but didn't have much money.

The person who wanted to get into guns asked about the Phoenix and the Ruff Rider revolver.

The other guy knew something about both. He said that the Phoenix was crap and would not hold up to a life time of shooting. It was suppose to be ok accurate. He said the ruff rider would hold up better, but was not in the same class as the other guns which we were discussing. The other guns were Ruger MKII, MKIII, Single6, Browning Buckmark, S&W revolvers and 22lr autos......

I believe before the chaos, the Rugers were in the 2-300 area. The Browning a little more. The S&Ws we were talking about were a little more.

I guess it depends on what you want to use the gun for. This would be the first gun for the guy who wanted to get into guns. He was wanting to make an investment that would last a lifetime and wouldn't regret and wouldn't upgrade. He wanted a target gun. He wanted something reliable.

ChuteTheMall
01-09-2013, 16:11
Ask the man who owns one.

After break-in, my HP-22 has been great.
I tend to leave the 5" barrel on it, because it's a bit heavy for a pocket pistol anyway. I also prefer the mag with the finger extension.

It's by far the most reliable pistol I've ever seen available for under $200 NIB, and that includes both barrels.

If that's his budget, and if he wants a brand new .22 LR semiauto pistol, then that's what I recommend.

RWBlue
01-09-2013, 16:26
Ask the man who owns one.

After break-in, my HP-22 has been great.
I tend to leave the 5" barrel on it, because it's a bit heavy for a pocket pistol anyway. I also prefer the mag with the finger extension.

It's by far the most reliable pistol I've ever seen available for under $200 NIB, and that includes both barrels.

If that's his budget, and if he wants a brand new .22 LR semiauto pistol, then that's what I recommend.

Approximately how many rounds have you shot through it?
And would you put it on par with the Ruger or Browning or S&W for accuracy?

RonS
01-09-2013, 18:33
Beretta makes 4.5" and 6" Neos .22s and sells at least the 4.5" as a stand alone part.

They have a rail on top of the barrel so you could red dot one of the barrels if you wanted and keep the other clean. For what you want that would be my choice unless you are looking for a really long Buttline special length barrel.

Janno05
01-09-2013, 19:21
I would recommend picking up a Ruger Mark 3 or 22/45 with a 4" barrel for the tackle box, then getting a tactical solutions 6" upper for the rabbit hunting and long range work.

ChuteTheMall
01-09-2013, 19:46
Approximately how many rounds have you shot through it?
And would you put it on par with the Ruger or Browning or S&W for accuracy?

I dunno, probably under a thousand rounds; too many other toys to play with.

When I got into bullseye competition, I bought a Ruger 22/45 bull barrel for the accuracy. Bigger, heavier, more expensive with huge sights, it's more accurate than I am. Won't fit in a pocket.

The little HP22 seemed surprisingly accurate, minute of face across a room, but it's not a competitive target pistol.
It is what it is, an inexpensive pistol that can be useful for target shooting & plinking, or carried as a pocket gun.

You can buy much better pistols, but they cost a lot more. The HP22 runs about $139 with one barrel, or $199 with both barrels. That puts it in a class by itself.

Bernie Link
01-09-2013, 23:18
I've read some negative comments about the Phoenix 22. But also have read some like this (from another forum):

"Love my Phoenix Arms HP22a. I've got both barrels and it's a blast to shoot! Pretty damned accurate too.

My only caution is you must use standard velocity .22lr's. There have been reports of frames cracking using higher velocity rounds.

Mine has run great right out of the box with just a minimum amount of mag tweaking with well over 1000 rounds through it.

Lifetime warranty too. Fortunately, I haven't had occasion to use it"

I might just take a chance for $139.

CajunBass
01-10-2013, 06:16
Doesn't that Smith & Wesson 22, the 22A? have an interchangable barrel feature? Seems I read that it does.

I've been tempted to buy one of those Phoenix arms guns just (1) because they're cheap, and (2) grins and giggles. Why not? It's not a lot of money to lose if it doesn't work out well. And I could always sell it and get some of the money back if it doesn't work. Somebody would buy it even if it does have problem.

Bruce M
01-10-2013, 06:37
The Smith and Wesson Model 41 can interchange barrel/slide assemblies I think. A S&W Kit gun seems like a classic choice for a tackle box at least based on it's name, despite no interchangeable barrels. Either might be a good choice, well except for the pesky price issue.

1gewehr
01-10-2013, 10:52
For inexpensive, the Beretta Neos will change barrels in less time than it takes to describe it.
Slightly higher scale, A used High Standard Duramatic, Sport King, or target pistol can change barrels pretty quickly. Another advantage is that they are all used, so you can pick one up for a fraction of what a new pistol of similar quality would cost. They are solid, reliable pistols that will outlast your kids with proper care.