Excessive Shipping Charges? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Shipping Charges?

Kalmah
01-09-2013, 12:41
I recently purchased a new Springfield XD, so I needed to pick up a few extra mags for it. Times being what they are, mags are in short supply right now and hard to find.

After spending some time scouring the internet, I find a company that still has a few in stock - and they haven't jacked up the price like so many other companies are doing. I grab the last two they have and put them in my cart. I go to checkout, and they tell me my shipping will be $21. That's right, $21 for shipping two pistol magazines. That was just regular ground shipping, not air express or overnight or anything like that.

I cancel that order and continue my search. After a while I find another company that has what I want and they haven't jacked up their prices, so I grab those up. The shipping came to $18 for four magazines. Not as bad as the other place, but still what I would call excessive.

For reference, the last magzine purchase I made I was charged $5.50 to ship a dozen or so mags. The last ammo order I made was a case of 9mm, and shipping on that 35lb package was $19.

Is it just me, or has anyone else seen an increase in shipping charges? Instead of raising the upfront prices of merchandise to avoid being called scalpers or gougers, are companies starting to charge excessive shipping in order to capitalize on the current spike in business?

cowboy1964
01-09-2013, 13:03
I've seen no shipping price increases in the places I do business with.

GlockFish
01-09-2013, 15:55
Everything is costing more.

fnfalman
01-09-2013, 15:59
Some companies, for convenience, have fixed shipping charges regardless of what you buy or how many.

Ruggles
01-09-2013, 17:07
Too high IMO. Move on. Try Gun Broker for mags. I just picked up 4 Beretta mags (Model 96) and 2 AR mags 6.8 SPC and shipping was very fair.

Ski2me
01-09-2013, 18:32
Too high IMO. Move on. Try Gun Broker for mags. I just picked up 4 Beretta mags (Model 96) and 2 AR mags 6.8 SPC and shipping was very fair.

Agreed, I've sold a couple mags there. You can easily send two mags in a small flat rate box for 5.30 I add a couple dollars for handling and it's still really cheap for the buyer.

TnGlocker12
01-10-2013, 12:41
I recently thought about buying 4 aluminum valve stem caps from Lexus. The price for the four was only $12, but the shipping was $12.95. Obviously I didn't buy them.

Hamilton Burger
01-10-2013, 17:33
I won't buy from Midway if I can find what I need elsewhere.

If you just need a few smalls, IOW whenever the total is under $25, they tack on an extra $3.

I needed 2 sight elevators, $1.99 each.
Requested USPS 1st Class shipping, $4.14 (evidently two slivers of metal and an invoice can't fit into an envelope with a $.45 stamp)!

+ their $3 "special handling charge" = $11.12 :steamed:

kb18no1
01-11-2013, 15:34
You can get just about anything on www.gunbroker.com

223/556 ammo is cheaper than a lot of stores. Unless you are lucky to find someone that doesn't sell out in 10 mins.

Glock mags are double or more.

I'm sure you will find some for your XD. Get them before they get banned.

wingspar
01-11-2013, 15:40
Shipping varies from place to place. Shop around. I just ordered two 5.56 Pmags for $13 each and free shipping. Might take a while to get them, but Iím in no hurry.

Davers
01-14-2013, 12:53
I won't buy from Midway if I can find what I need elsewhere.

If you just need a few smalls, IOW whenever the total is under $25, they tack on an extra $3.

I needed 2 sight elevators, $1.99 each.
Requested USPS 1st Class shipping, $4.14 (evidently two slivers of metal and an invoice can't fit into an envelope with a $.45 stamp)!

+ their $3 "special handling charge" = $11.12 :steamed:

THEY DID ME THAT WAY AS WELL + UNBACKORDERD AMMO I waited over a year for I guess they did not want to stand by the original price I was to pay .Thru-out the yr. said would not change ..I now do my shopping someplace else .

G29SFWTF
01-14-2013, 13:45
Shipping gouging is the oldest scam in the book. They will tell you it's to cover "handling" costs too but that's stupid. Do they also have a separate charge for the electricity they used to light the room while packing your box? How about the table they set it on? These things are a part of a company's overhead and it needs to be built in to the price of the product, but they don't want to do that because their products would be more expensive. You just have to know the charges before buying.